** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Quarter-Final - Argentina v Belgium > Saturday July 5th

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617]

[TR=class: row0] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Argentina v Belgium (17:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.2[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]4[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]99.03 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: Quarter-Final - Argentina v Belgium > Saturday July 5th After being unimpressed with Belgium in the Group Stage, I was impressed with them last night v USA. I backed USA +0.5 in normal time, but I thought Belgium were impressive in attack and ultimately well deserved the win. At the same time, I was disappointed in Argentina against Switzerland. Belgium's shots on target stats for the games so far are better than Argentina's. Argentina are the South American sides and have a better reputation in this sort of tournament, but on form I think Belgium are probably the better team, and are value at the odds Belgium +0.5 1.82 sbobet Stake: 5 points

Re: Quarter-Final - Argentina v Belgium > Saturday July 5th I simply don't get these odds, after having seen all the games of both sides. In my opinion, bookies are just trying to reflect the large portion of irrational "name betting" which will push big money streams toward Argentina only because of their big name and history. To say that Argentina doesn't impress is an under-statement. Their midfield, defense and goal-keeper are at mediocre level and far away from the standards of a 1/4 finals of the World Cup. They were punished twice by Nigeria, but in fact, they deserved to concede goals against both Iran and Switzerland - especially the Swiss created a plethora of excellent scoring chances, most of them with active contribution by Argentina defense. Yes, the Gauchos have top quality up-front, but these top players are sometimes big liability. Higuain, Di Maria, Lavezzi and even Messi rarely press up the opponent in their half. Thus, crossing into Argentina's half turns into a very easy task for their opponents, as the Swiss showed on numerous occasions. Also, I don't like neither the interaction among the attacking people in Argentina's squad, nor their slow and boring rhythm. It seems that they leave all to Messi, but to be fair, despite a few moments of brilliance, he doesn't seem to play his best football at this tournament and for big parts of the game he has very little influence on the events on the pitch. Belgium is the most balanced team in this tournament, with plenty of class in each line, starting from probably the best goal-keeper in the world and finishing with two very promising strikers like Lukaku and Origi.Belgians are gradually finding their form and had their best game of the Mondial against the USA, when the Red Devils deserved to win with huge margin. Belgium's weak spots seem to be their full-backs being natural central defenders, which sometimes takes toll on their ability to support the flanks. But Alderweiredl and Vertongen look very solid when defending Belgium's flanks. Another problem for Belgium might be converting their chances, which they must substantially improve. However, all in all, Belgium should be heavily dominating the midfield against the likes of Mascherano, Gago and Di Maria (not natural midfielder and physically not that strong player). Their wingers ripped apart on numerous occasions the USA defense and I feel that Rojo might have a nightmare game against the likes of Mertens, De Bryune and Mirallas (and let's not forget that also attackers Origi and Lukaku make sometimes excellent and smart runs on the wings). Another important aspect are the substitutions. Belgium can bring in players like Origi/Lukaku, Mirallas, Chadli, Januzai, while Argentina can bring in....Palacio and Biglia. Huge advantage for Belgium in this respect as their bench is way above the Argentine. All in all, I don't see where the advantage of Argentina should come from. They continue to play crap and very dispirited football, and apart from several super-stars, the rest of the team is of very questionable quality (including their coach). Belgium is full with belief and getting into their best form. Psychological advantage is entirely with Belgium as they have already achieved their goal in this tournament and everything more they can get here is over-achievement for them, unlike Argentina, for which failing for one more World Cup to pass the 1/4 finals will be considered a failure. Belgium to Qualify @ 2.63 (bet365)

Re: Quarter-Final - Argentina v Belgium > Saturday July 5th I'd agree with all of that Fedar, even though I have a lot of money on Argentina outright. I think it will be a very tough game for the Argentinians and they have rode their luck so far. I am hoping that we see a different Argentina if Belgium dare to come out and attack them. If you leave a lot of space for Messi and Di Maria, they could be devastating.. Nigeria have been the only team that have had a go at Argentina so far and they paid the consequence by conceding 3 goals. I expect Belgium to change their tactics, sit back and play on the counter, congest midfield when they don't have the ball. If they do that, they have a huge chance.. I do think that if they play attacking football though that Messi will punish them. Bottom line is, it doesn't matter how you play as long as you get the right result and Argentina have 4 wins from 4, playing badly. Should be a cracking game either way, but I don't think we have seen what Argentina are capable of yet. I watched them in qualifying and they ripped teams to shreds.

Re: Quarter-Final - Argentina v Belgium > Saturday July 5th Can only echo everyone else's sentiments regarding this game. These odds are bonkers really. But I imagine a lot of casual punters will be all over Argentina just on the strength of their name and tradition even if it goes down to evens.

Re: Quarter-Final - Argentina v Belgium > Saturday July 5th Quality match wise then is Belgium but if want to win a bet i would go Argentina - one of the lucky/ opportunistic teams of this edition. don't think i need to many reasons and explanations to make as we all have noticed by their performances

Re: Quarter-Final - Argentina v Belgium > Saturday July 5th I thought I might be against the trend here but obviously not...I fully expect Belgium to give Argentina a game and would not be surprised to see them win in 90minutes...they've grown into the tournament while distinctly unimpressed by Argentina so far.

Re: Quarter-Final - Argentina v Belgium > Saturday July 5th To be frank Belgium arent impressive at all and have the best players in every positrion means absolutely nothing in the world cup.Its how the team plays as a team(e.g Columbia) Its hard to guaghe Argentina as someone has already said that they have only played teams that sat back except nigeria. Any team can struggle against that sort of tactic including Brazil.This game can frankly go either way and although I fancy Belgium to create more chances Im not convinced they can easily win this by any stretch of the imagination.Nerves come into this along with big game players.If this game is 0-0 in the 75th minute expect Belgium to sit back and start marking Messi in threes hoping for extra time. If belgium score first in the first half and score again on the counter they will win.If this game goes to extra time Argentina will win.It all comes down to who scores first. A 0-0 going into half time suits Argentina as Belgium will back of as Messi and Di maria turn on the after burners. The issue is does Belgium have enough goal threat to score enough games to put this game to bed? I'm not convinced.They will create chances but like any other newcomer on the scene will not have the guts or courage to finish Argentina of.

Re: Quarter-Final - Argentina v Belgium > Saturday July 5th Good post, I think you are spot on especially about the fact if Belgium scores first than they will surely back down hoping to seal the deal. No way they are going to dominate the game and look for a second goal. like you said experience is a big factor in these knock-out rounds. We will see a domination of argetina and probably a goal. 1-1 is a likely score for me, both teams surely have the quality to score and especially upfront. Argentina a bit shaky at the back and they have to be carefull against the fast counter attacks of belgium especially if they fall behind. However, I do think there will be surely some respect from Belgium towards Messi and co here. Expect a tight game with only few goals and probably a 0-0 at HT also under 2.5 is likely. Best bets for me are more goals in the second half and a draw at half time. Belgium is defensively pretty solid so it won't be easy for Argentina to open them up, big strong guys at the back so the only way to come through is fast game play through the ground.

Re: Quarter-Final - Argentina v Belgium > Saturday July 5th Argentina v Belgium Argentina: Sergio Agüero (54/21 f, 2nd top scorer, probably out), Marcos Rojo (26/1 d) Out of squad: Fabricio Coloccini (39/1 d), Érik Lamela (6/0 m), Éver Banega (24/2 m) Belgium: Thomas Vermaelen (48/1 d, doubtful), Anthony Vanden Borre (26/1 d), Mousa Dembélé (59/5 m, doubtful) Out of squad: Silvio Proto (13/0 g), Koen Casteels (0/0 g), Jelle Van Damme (31/0 d), Timmy Simons (93/6 m, retired), Christian Benteke (18/6 f) Information from more then 50 football leagues and competitions at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

Re: Quarter-Final - Argentina v Belgium > Saturday July 5th

Argentina v Belgium Argentina: Sergio Agüero (54/21 f, 2nd top scorer, probably out), Marcos Rojo (26/1 d) Out of squad: Fabricio Coloccini (39/1 d), Érik Lamela (6/0 m), Éver Banega (24/2 m) Belgium: Thomas Vermaelen (48/1 d, doubtful), Anthony Vanden Borre (26/1 d), Mousa Dembélé (59/5 m, doubtful) Out of squad: Silvio Proto (13/0 g), Koen Casteels (0/0 g), Jelle Van Damme (31/0 d), Timmy Simons (93/6 m, retired), Christian Benteke (18/6 f) Information from more then 50 football leagues and competitions at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com
dude are u for real ?

Re: Quarter-Final - Argentina v Belgium > Saturday July 5th 4pts Belgium +0.25AH to beat Argentina 2.07 BetVictor This Belgium side are tough to beat down and if Axel Witsel can keep Lionel Messi quiet then Belgium could easily come through this quarter final. Should Belgium fall behind they have the players to get themselves back into the game but I expect them to be tight at the back and look to get to Argentina on the counter attack. I don’t foresee a high scoring game but this is one where Belgium could prevail if either side manages to in 90 minutes. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/argentina-vs-belgium-betting-belgium-can-edge-out-argentina-in-brasilia

Re: Quarter-Final - Argentina v Belgium > Saturday July 5th I am also convinced Belgium should come out winners of this tie, as Argentina failed to impress so far. I think the Swiss gave them a good game and on a different day Argentina could have lost that one. Belgium on the other hand seem to start clicking and in their game against USA they were attacking constantly, tirelessly and with verve, recording 30 shots on goal or so. But that also show they need many chances to score and with the great offensive players they have in Hazard and Mertens, naturally they win corners in the process. In the USA game they won as many as 19 of them. Bet365 is currently offering 2.20 for >5.5 Belgium team corners and I am willingly taking it as I think this one represents value.

Re: Quarter-Final - Argentina v Belgium > Saturday July 5th Im with many of you on this match and I find that Argentina havnt been so good this year, well they have won and are in quarter-final but they havnt show'd up the Argentina we all "know". Belgium on other hand have grown stronger and stronger, and better and better for every game they have played. Argentina had "problem" with Switzerland and did win first after ET, but even then Switzerland was close to do 1-1 and send the game to penalty as Argentina did stop playing for some reason. Belgium did play good against USA, and if you ask me this was one of the better games in this years WC, but they had Howard in goal. Belgium did show that there counterattacks was very dangerous against USA and i think that Argentina must have there heads up from the start and not allow Belgium to play there game, on the other hand Belgium must be on there feet and mark some of Argentinas fast players, one of them Messi, and not allow them to take ground (like Switzerland manage to do). I have a feeling that this game will go all the way to ET or even penalties and have found a odds on Belgium that I find intressting Belgium to win in extra time or on penalties @ 8.00 (Williamhill)

Re: Quarter-Final - Argentina v Belgium > Saturday July 5th Not seeing a lot of difference between the posts on here and the posts before the Brazil game. Haven't seen anything from Belgium to make me think they can beat Argentina, Argentina have been doing just about enough game on game and even in the last match I didn't ever real feel that Switzerland believed they could beat them. It will suit Arg that they are finally playing a team who won't just stick XI men behind the ball all game and play for extra time, Messi should get a bit more time on the ball as the game goes on. Don't think Wilmot's knows who to play up front as both strikers look good coming off the bench but struggle when they start. I wouldn't put a bet on Arg to win the game as they are too short but Belgium haven't really got going and I can see Argentina containing any attacking threat they have fairly easily. Argentina to qualify for me.

Not seeing a lot of difference between the posts on here and the posts before the Brazil game.
But this is still entirely different and unrelated game. And I think the home factor also made big difference yesterday.

Re: Quarter-Final - Argentina v Belgium > Saturday July 5th 0-0 (bet365) @ 9 for a 0.15 stake Argentina to qualify on penaltis (bet365) @ 11 for a 0.1 stake Both teams unconvincing so far, facing in a quarter-final. Sort of stuff makes me wonders why some teams like Colombia, Chile or Mexico were eliminated. (Well, at least Belgium did some good stuff in the 2nd half against USA) I'm quite suspicious about this one. Everything indicates that we will have another 0-0 in the first 90 minutes, but on the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised of both teams pulling on their engines and surprising everyone with 2-2, 3-3 in the first 90 minutes. Well, one thing I like: them to draw at least (but I'm willing to stake the 0-0), ET, and then penalties. Argentina looks to me as a much more mature team overall and I expect Belgium to feel the pressure should this go to penalties, even though they have Courtois as a keeper.

But this is still entirely different and unrelated game. And I think the home factor also made big difference yesterday.
Well, they are both World Cup quarter finals so they are pretty related, the sides are different but the context of the games is entirely comparable. Brazil and Argentina were both fully expected to get to the final before the tournament started, both are reliant on one star player and both are seen to have largely underperformed so far even though they are both still in the competition. Both have done just about enough to get where they are without setting the world alight, I don't see that changing until the semi-finals when they get teams of real quality to play against. Belgium have great players but are no team, they don't defend together and make bad decisions in attack, I might be alone but I have no doubt that Argentina will qualify for the semi's.

Re: Quarter-Final - Argentina v Belgium > Saturday July 5th We saw Colombia yesterday be overwhelmed and not be able to play their usual game. I wouldn't be surprised if we see the same thing today - a team that we consider to be good to have a poor performance, caused by the pressure, lack of maturity and experience. Neither Argentina nor Belgium were impressive so far but I think there are a few things that give Argentina the advantage: a lot of fans in the stadium that would make it feel like a home game, greater maturity and experience, the feeling of determination from playing on a home setting and from the result that is expected from them. I think that Argentina will feel determination and Belgium will feel pressure, Belgium will defend more and Argentina will be more offensive and that Argentina has better chances of creating a good result. I expect Belgium to play defensively and try to counterattack. Argentina to be more forward but not to take big risks early on. Draw at half time looks good and I wouldn't be surprised by a draw at full time but if they get to extra time, I think Argentina will quality. (Also, in the 10 games so far in the knock-out stage, the favorites have always qualified. That is a good statistic to consider.) Draw at half time. Argentina to qualify.

Re: Quarter-Final - Argentina v Belgium > Saturday July 5th There is a lot going on here, and I can't find myself able to call this one honestly. Argentina might have not been convincing so far, but I haven't seen them yet against teams that don't just sit back and defend with 9+ players. They might be shaky at the back, but they have players up front that don't need that many opportunities to turn the tables, they can turn half a chance to a goal out of nowhere... While Belgium was convincing against the US, they still below par for me. They lack experience and finishing. If you always need 20+ chances to score, you're going to struggle against the elite teams. They might have played more tactically against Russia and Korea, but the bottom line was the same. Argentina might just be a very different type of opponent... The only bet I am really convinced with going into this one is: Half time score: 0-0 @ 2.37 Other bets that I see value in are: Argentina in extra time @9.00 Argentina in penalties @11.00

Re: Quarter-Final - Argentina v Belgium > Saturday July 5th Line up Argentina Romero M. Demichelis P. Zabaleta E. Garay J. Basanta J. Mascherano L. Biglia Á. di María L. Messi G. Higuaín E. Lavezzi Belgium T. Courtois V. Kompany D. Van Buyten J. Vertonghen T. Alderweireld M. Fellaini A. Witsel E. Hazard K. De Bruyne K. Mirallas D. Origi

Not seeing a lot of difference between the posts on here and the posts before the Brazil game. Haven't seen anything from Belgium to make me think they can beat Argentina, Argentina have been doing just about enough game on game and even in the last match I didn't ever real feel that Switzerland believed they could beat them. It will suit Arg that they are finally playing a team who won't just stick XI men behind the ball all game and play for extra time, Messi should get a bit more time on the ball as the game goes on. Don't think Wilmot's knows who to play up front as both strikers look good coming off the bench but struggle when they start. I wouldn't put a bet on Arg to win the game as they are too short but Belgium haven't really got going and I can see Argentina containing any attacking threat they have fairly easily. Argentina to qualify for me.
But are you recommending that as a 'good value bet'? :unsure

After being unimpressed with Belgium in the Group Stage, I was impressed with them last night v USA. I backed USA +0.5 in normal time, but I thought Belgium were impressive in attack and ultimately well deserved the win. At the same time, I was disappointed in Argentina against Switzerland. Belgium's shots on target stats for the games so far are better than Argentina's. Argentina are the South American sides and have a better reputation in this sort of tournament, but on form I think Belgium are probably the better team, and are value at the odds Belgium +0.5 1.82 sbobet Stake: 5 points
Result: Argentina 1 Belgium 0 Bet lost Stake: 5 points Return: nil