** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

International Friendlies 1st June - 11th June

Re: International Friendlies 1st June - 7th June

Japan - Zambia While I don't fancy much Asian and African teams in friendly matches, Samurai Blue should be able to win this. They have a better team, are preparing for the WC and the price is decent for Japan to win 1.53. A few days ago they beat Costa Rica 3-1. Herve Renard's days as coach of Zambia are over, so too are the good days for this national team. They have lost their last 4 friendlies with non-African opposition.
This is not a good value IMO. I watched Japan against Costa Rica. They are playing very cool football, I even call them "Brazilians of Asia" because of their beautiful speedy combinations and fast movement off the ball. However, they are not a very practical team as their finishing is simply pathetic and their defense is vulnerable. Against Costa Rica and against Cyprus a few weeks ago, the finishing skills of the Japanese team were terrible as they simply couldn't hit properly the ball on the target from clear striking positions. Also they looked very shaky in the back. Keep in mind that African teams also tend to play unconventionally aggressive and physical football for friendly games. I don't know for sure about Zambia, but I saw Senegal vs Colombia and Niger vs Ukraine, and some of the tackling of the African teams was atrocious and unheard of in friendly games. If Zambia plays like this, I can imagine the Japanese not taking too much risks to get injured and rather playing low tempo possession football than their fast combos.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they are the opposite opponent to NI. They will try and "play" vs Chile and I just think when the Socceroos present spaces for the Chileans they will keep getting in behind us. Australia coach likes to promote his full backs too which could be disastrous. So the prospect of playing this way vs superior opposition equates to suicide in my eyes.
Also, I remember I was analyzing some socceroos WC qualifiers games last summer and I find out they have one of the oldest squad in international football - around 75% of the guys were above 30 and they had many players above 33-34. Should be a huge disadvantage for them against fast Chileans and in Brazil.

This is not a good value IMO. I watched Japan against Costa Rica. They are playing very cool football, I even call them "Brazilians of Asia" because of their beautiful speedy combinations and fast movement off the ball. However, they are not a very practical team as their finishing is simply pathetic and their defense is vulnerable. Against Costa Rica and against Cyprus a few weeks ago, the finishing skills of the Japanese team were terrible as they simply couldn't hit properly the ball on the target from clear striking positions. Also they looked very shaky in the back. Keep in mind that African teams also tend to play unconventionally aggressive and physical football for friendly games. I don't know for sure about Zambia, but I saw Senegal vs Colombia and Niger vs Ukraine, and some of the tackling of the African teams was atrocious and unheard of in friendly games. If Zambia plays like this, I can imagine the Japanese not taking too much risks to get injured and rather playing low tempo possession football than their fast combos.
When I watched Zambia in the 2012 Africa Nations Cup, I don't remember them having big, physical players, but smaller and more technical ones. This could suit Japan. Also Japan must get used to such opposition because Greece, Japan and Ivory Coast will physically outmatch them immensely.

Good couple of nights there' date=' Brazil only got going after they scored the first but were very comfortable in the end. Couldn't watch the Chile game due to the early morning kick-off time but seems they really got going after the usual suspects came off the bench. The fitness of Vidal could play a huge part in how far they go, Sanchez seems to be on fire currently.[/quote'] Great stuff HG :clap

Slight sweaty moment when Julio Cesar slipped before picking it out of top corner
I didn't see that - didn't see the whole game, just most of it. But I know from experience that clean sheet type bets can often go unexpectedly wrong!

Colombia - Jordan Apparently Jordan is no match for top South American opposition, having lost the first playoff at home to Uruguay with 5-0.
I think I saw that game, and Jordan looked totally outclassed in that one.

Re: International Friendlies 1st June - 11th June Sunday 8th June France v Jamaica I've seen parts of both teams' recent friendlies and been quite impressed with both. France are a class above, but are they worth such a short price here? France looked great against Norway, but struggled against Paraguay. Jamaica looked good losing 2-1 to Serbia in the USA. They narrowly lost to Switzerland, then drew 2-2 with Egypt in London. I'm not quite prepared to tip it, but if anything I think the value may be with Jamaica. Jamaica +2AH is available at 1.98 with BetVictor.

Re: International Friendlies 1st June - 11th June

Sunday 8th June France v Jamaica I've seen parts of both teams' recent friendlies and been quite impressed with both. France are a class above, but are they worth such a short price here? France looked great against Norway, but struggled against Paraguay. Jamaica looked good losing 2-1 to Serbia in the USA. They narrowly lost to Switzerland, then drew 2-2 with Egypt in London. I'm not quite prepared to tip it, but if anything I think the value may be with Jamaica. Jamaica +2AH is available at 1.98 with BetVictor.
Just going through the past history for Jamaica on soccerway, I count 36 matches in a row without loss of more than 2 goals. Out of those 36, 31 games would have won with +2AH line. That and what MPLouis has said above, has convinced me to take the plunge on the following bet. 6pts Jamaica +2.0AH @ 1.975 Bet365

Re: International Friendlies 1st June - 11th June 4pts Russia vs Morocco - Under 2.5 goals 4/6 Boylesports I’m not sure the result will be the overriding thing for Capello in this match. This is the last chance to get game time to those who are a little short on fitness and also protect his main men. We may see his strongest side in the first half here but I would expect a lot of changes as this match goes on which could disrupt the flow of the match so I’m happy with under 2.5 goals here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/russia-vs-morocco-betting-russia-can-depart-for-brazil-with-another-low-scoring-game 5pts Germany (-2) to beat Armenia 8/11 Paddy Power Armenia have Mkhitaryan who is entitled to be dangerous and who should be bang up for this match but I still expect Germany to have too much quality here and I would expect them to run out comfortable winners here. Their build up to the World Cup has been low key so far but now is the time to find their strides and the Germans are the best around for doing that. I’m confident they’ll depart with a comfortable win here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/germany-vs-armenia-betting-germany-can-head-off-to-brazil-with-a-big-win 4pts Brazil to win to nil vs Serbia 10/11 Paddy Power Serbia will put up a much bigger challenge to Brazil than Panama did but I still think the end result will be the same and that is a Brazil win. Scolari has mentioned in public how he wants his side to control the games more and stop sides countering against them and I think that will be the way they play in this match so with more of the ball and an intensity without the ball I think Brazil winning to nil looks good for the second time this week. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/brazil-vs-serbia-betting-brazil-can-go-into-world-cup-with-a-win-and-a-clean-sheet 4pts Croatia to beat Australia 19/20 William Hill I really like the options Croatia have for the World Cup and I can see them going through most of those options in this match but I still think they have enough about them to win the match. I watched Australia against South Africa recently and they were pretty poor and the long distance travelling since then isn’t likely to have helped them either. Croatia look dangerously strong to me and so I’m on them here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/croatia-vs-australia-betting-croatia-can-get-the-better-of-world-cup-rivals-in-bahia 3pts Greece vs Bolivia - Under 1.5 goals 13/8 Coral This is one of the least appealing friendlies of the weekend it has to be said. Greece can’t score and Bolivia can’t really play unless it is way up at altitude so anyone expecting a classic in this match probably need to turn their attentions elsewhere. You’d think Greece might open up a bit as they search to end this scoreless run that they are on but even then an avalanche of goals is unlikely here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/greece-vs-bolivia-betting-new-jersey-unlikely-to-see-many-goals

Also' date=' I remember I was analyzing some socceroos WC qualifiers games last summer and I find out they have one of the oldest squad in international football - around 75% of the guys were above 30 and they had many players above 33-34. Should be a huge disadvantage for them against fast Chileans and in Brazil.[/quote'] Well since then they have all retired or been dropped. Schwarzer, Lucas Neil, Wilshere, Grella etc all gone. Cahill is the veteran now with many young players around him. This is even worse because these young ones are from Bundesliga 2. and other similar leagues like that. The rest are from A-league. So it's a worse situation imo. Because they are more likely to panic and make mistakes at their first World Cup.

Re: International Friendlies 1st June - 11th June 4pts England vs Honduras - Both teams to score 5/4 William Hill This certainly isn’t a game to bet on the result in my eyes. The result is irrelevant really. It is about teams getting familiar with each other and fringe players staking their claim again. I would expect a lot of changes in the second half too which doesn’t help betting on the match outcome. Both sides are likely to attack and both have deficiencies in defence so the 5/4 on both sides scoring looks a touch big to me. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/england-vs-honduras-betting-both-sides-can-score-in-miami 3pts Nigeria to beat USA 3/1 Betfred USA look a very short price to me even allowing for the fact that they are at home. Of the two I would expect Klinsmann to make more changes as this match goes on so that the home fans can see as many of their squad as possible. Nigeria really could do with a confidence boosting win so I think they’ll take this more seriously. I’ve seen a bit of America recently and I’ve not been impressed so Nigeria can sneak this at a decent price. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/usa-vs-nigeria-betting-nigeria-can-sneak-confidence-boosting-win-in-jacksonville

Re: International Friendlies 1st June - 11th June 8pts England (-3.5 corner handicap) @ 1.80 Bet365 As mentioned before, England have a ridiculous record at home for beating the -4.5 corner handicap (11 in a row). Just to recap their last two friendlies, the corner count vs Peru in their 3-0 win was 8 to 1 and vs Ecuador in their 2-2 draw was 8-4 both times in England's favour. Honestly I thought they would under perform in the corner department away from home, but they surprisingly used their width to attack well. The corner count in the last two Honduras games have been 5:3 and 6:11 vs Israel and Turkey respectively. I know there isn't much to go off, but I am somewhat comforted by the fact that they conceded quite a number of corners vs Turkey. In any case, they lost both games by a two goal margin and with England more than likely set to field their stronger team to gain some confidence/momentum before their game with Italy, I think England should cover this corner handicap line more times than not.

Re: International Friendlies 1st June - 11th June 12pts Brazil to win to nil @ 1.91 Paddypower Taking this bet before the price disappears, it's as low as 1.67 elsewhere. I think it well worth taking this bet on, Serbia could only manage a draw against Panama who Brazil put four goals past with ease. Add to that Brazil have won the last 4 out of their 5 games with a clean sheet (the one time they didn't they were against Chile). Sure Serbia are much stronger oppositions but I think they are going to have to step their game up a whole lot more if they are going to trouble Brazil in their own backyard.

Re: International Friendlies 1st June - 11th June Serbia are facing quite a big injury crisis right now. The likes of Adem Ljajic(AS Roma), Bisevac(Lyon) and Tomovic(Fiorentina) have all been forced to withdraw from the squad. Two regular central defenders Subotic(Borussia Dortmund) and Nastasic(Manchester City) are long-term injury victims as well as both Fejsa(Benfica) and Sulejmani(Benfica). Probable lineup: Serbia: Stojkovic (Ergotelis) - Basta (Udinese), Ivanovic (Chelsea), D.Tosic (G'birligi), Kolarov (Manchester City) - Jojic (Borussia Dortmund), Matic (Chelsea) - Markovic (Benfica), Tadic (Twente), Z.Tosic (CSKA Moscow) - Mitrovic (Anderlecht) or Djordjevic (Lazio)

Re: International Friendlies 1st June - 11th June Agree with those on Jamaica +2.0AH, I got on this morning for 1.98 with pinnacle but the price is down to 1.87 now, no doubt this is helped by the news that Ribery will surprisingly miss the tournament, big blow to the French. I'm keeping a close eye on San Marino v Albania, if the clean sheet odds go up to 1.5 for Albania I'll be having a play, not many have priced it up yet. Brazil are playing a first choice XI tonight, according to Scolari, and they should have enough to beat Serbia. Can't say I would have so much confidence on the CS bet though with Tadic, Markovic and Tosic in attacking midfield - a lot of talent there, Serbia aren't the kind of side who fall apart easily so I wouldn't expect a Brazil victory by more than two goals. I would much rather go for a CS for Spain Sunday night against El Salvador who have only played once since last July and in a poor run of form sitting about 65 in the world rankings, even though the odds are only 1.53 with coral it represents a better bet imo. Looks like a 2-0, 3-0 game to me with Spain likely to be putting out a near first choice side. Jamaica +2.0AH - 1.98 - pinnacle - 5 Points Spain to Win to Nil - 1.53 - coral - 10 Points

12pts Brazil to win to nil @ 1.91 Paddypower Taking this bet before the price disappears, it's as low as 1.67 elsewhere. I think it well worth taking this bet on, Serbia could only manage a draw against Panama who Brazil put four goals past with ease. Add to that Brazil have won the last 4 out of their 5 games with a clean sheet (the one time they didn't they were against Chile). Sure Serbia are much stronger oppositions but I think they are going to have to step their game up a whole lot more if they are going to trouble Brazil in their own backyard.
Won't lie, Serbia definitely proved much stronger oppositions and could have score on one or two occasions, though the closest the came to scoring was off the outside of the post late on in the second half. Brazil were wrongly denied a second goal by the linesman as well. Overall a good performance by Brazil in the 2nd half when they stepped their game up. Final score: Brazil vs Serbia: 1-0 :ok

Won't lie' date=' Serbia definitely proved much stronger oppositions and could have score on one or two occasions, though the closest the came to scoring was off the outside of the post late on in the second half. Brazil were wrongly denied a second goal by the linesman as well. Overall a good performance by Brazil in the 2nd half when they stepped their game up. Final score: Brazil vs Serbia: 1-0 :ok[/quote'] Disallowing that second goal was as bad a decision as I've seen in a long while..your balls must have been in your stomach when the header hit the outside of the post :lol..winning and losing bets are often decided by such margins.

Disallowing that second goal was as bad a decision as I've seen in a long while..your balls must have been in your stomach when the header hit the outside of the post :lol..winning and losing bets are often decided by such margins.
Aye, was shitting myself. Hate watching a game when I've got a large stake riding on it :) Germany went mental in the second half though, I just could not convince myself to back anything in that game sadly. Ribery getting ruled out for France makes our bet on Jamaica handicap seem a tad better. Also, hopefully there will be a bookie that offers both Spain and Moldova to win to nil, doubling those two up would be a pretty decent bet I reckon, though I might succumb to temptation and follow you on the Spain single, San Marino has burnt me in the past after all :(

Re: International Friendlies 1st June - 11th June Got Belgium 7 days ago 1.70 on the -1 AH @ Marathon. Dropped significantly since then. But if you can find a half decent price somewhere, Belgium are a good leg in an accumulator. Tunisia has most of their players playing in Africa and all names are unrecognisable. The match is in Brussels (not Brazil) and there are a lot of high quality players competing for just 11 starting spots. The thing I noticed is that the Tunisia coach is Belgian. So maybe this is how this fixture was setup, through already established contacts. Therefore Tunisia may be target practice for Lukaku and co. if this is the only reason they were selected as opposition. I think they had a terrible qualification campaign if I remember reading a source last week. May be mistaken though.

Got Belgium 7 days ago 1.70 on the -1 AH @ Marathon. Dropped significantly since then. But if you can find a half decent price somewhere, Belgium are a good leg in an accumulator. Tunisia has most of their players playing in Africa and all names are unrecognisable. The match is in Brussels (not Brazil) and there are a lot of high quality players competing for just 11 starting spots. The thing I noticed is that the Tunisia coach is Belgian. So maybe this is how this fixture was setup, through already established contacts. Therefore Tunisia may be target practice for Lukaku and co. if this is the only reason they were selected as opposition. I think they had a terrible qualification campaign if I remember reading a source last week. May be mistaken though.
Would have thought it was more a case of picking a similar side to Algeria, who they play in the World Cup. England @ 1.50 may appeal. Honduras are so poor, and England will very likely be playing close to the strongest side. May be worth backing in-play, can see Honduras trying to play for a 0-0.

Re: International Friendlies 1st June - 11th June 15pts Argentina to win to nil @ 1.73 Bet365 Slovenia have lost their last 2 games against Uruguay and Algeria with the scoreline 2-0 away from home. They play Argentina who are coming off a 3-0 win and a 0-0 draw in their last two friendlies. As preparations ramp up, I fancy them to keep a clean sheet against their opponents and win the game more times than not. Add to the news that I read that Slovenia are not travelling with a few key attacking players, I think this is an excellent bet. 5pts Double: Spain to win to nil, Belgium @ 1.80 Bet365 El Salvador have lost 6 drawn 1 and won 1 in their last 8 games played. They have even been torn apart by the likes of USA 5-1, and one would have to think against a very possession based side like Spain, they are unlikely to get many chances and Spain should win this to nil. Like most teams, both Belgium and Spain should be fielding a very strong side as their last friendly before the World Cup begins. Belgium won both their friendlies thus far 2-0 and 5-1 and face off against Tunisia who come into this game with a 1-1 draw with Colombia and a 1-0 win over Korea. This form of Tunisia is the only thing preventing me from staking any higher on this double, but nevertheless has a high chance of coming in. 10pts Double: Spain to win to nil, England @ 1.96 Bet365 Honduras have lost their last two friendlies by a two goal margin, 4-2 and 2-0. Add to that, they have conceded a total of 14 goals in their last 5 friendlies, it does not look good for them. A strong England side should be able to win this game, but whether or not they can cover the handicap, I am not too sure, I feel it all depends on their backline. If Cahill, etc start, England should definitely win this game. Sticking England in a double with Spain to win to nil, gives decent odds.

Won't lie' date=' Serbia definitely proved much stronger oppositions and could have score on one or two occasions, though the closest the came to scoring was off the outside of the post late on in the second half. Brazil were wrongly denied a second goal by the linesman as well. Overall a good performance by Brazil in the 2nd half when they stepped their game up. Final score: Brazil vs Serbia: 1-0 :ok[/quote'] I thought Serbia probably should have scored in the first half, but as you say Brazil dominated the second half.

Re: International Friendlies 1st June - 11th June 4pts Jamaica (+1.75AH) to beat France 1.93 Ladbrokes I’m not convinced this will be a blow out French win. The Jamaican’s have developed a stubbornness and aren’t being beaten by many at the minute and France are likely to use this match to try out some combinations and get some players up to speed after Ribery was ruled out of the World Cup. This is one match where I don’t think the result is particularly important for the hosts even allowing for the fact it is their last before the World Cup. I still think they should have enough to win but maybe not by 2 or more. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/france-vs-jamaica-betting-jamaica-can-prove-tricky-opponents-for-les-bleus

15pts Argentina to win to nil @ 1.73 Bet365 Slovenia have lost their last 2 games against Uruguay and Algeria with the scoreline 2-0 away from home. They play Argentina who are coming off a 3-0 win and a 0-0 draw in their last two friendlies. As preparations ramp up, I fancy them to keep a clean sheet against their opponents and win the game more times than not. Add to the news that I read that Slovenia are not travelling with a few key attacking players, I think this is an excellent bet.
Result: 2-0 I saw some it, and Argentina were just occasionally a bit sloppy at the back, but they largely defended well and controlled the game. Slovenia looked quite skilful and capable but never really got going.

8pts England (-3.5 corner handicap) @ 1.80 Bet365 :( 15pts Argentina to win to nil @ 1.73 Bet365 :ok 5pts Double: Spain to win to nil, Belgium @ 1.80 Bet365 :ok 10pts Double: Spain to win to nil, England @ 1.96 Bet365 :(
Well England most definitely did not win. Sturridge had two clear chances one in either half, shame he could not put either away. Honduras were very physical based off the 15-20mins that I watched and even had a guy sent off. England just didn't seem to be able to use their width whatsoever, I'll just be sticking to home games for the corner bets hence forth. Shame about the bets, it could have been a very good evening, but I ended up with a 3pt loss instead. Onto tomorrow!

Re: International Friendlies 1st June - 11th June San Marino v Albania San Marino's woes are well documented on here by me and some others, they have scored in 3 of the last 45 games in all comps and you can make a good living simply betting on them not to score in any given game :lol..Albania are an improving side, most of the team play in good European leagues now and I was quite surprised at the potential strength of the side when I looked at their squad, there isn't a great deal of experience there however. Looking at their results they don't often lose by many so that is a positive, they don't win many especially away but this is a special case. I've probably gone a bit over the top considering Albania are no world beaters but 1.61 had to be taken, expect it will shrink during the day although there are others who have yet to price it up. Albania to Win to Nil - 1.61 - coral - 12.5 Points

Re: International Friendlies 1st June - 11th June How poor is this engeland side? If you can't beat honduras over 90 minutes than you have some serious problems to solve. Even half an hour against 10 men lol.. Really no clue who will advance in their group, seems like a lottery to me.

Re: International Friendlies 1st June - 11th June The lack of winter break takes its toll. England look mentally and physically exhausted even before the tournament has began. Italy also lack sharpness and look tired. Their best striker in my opinion, Giuseppe Rossi, is not included in the squad. Costa Rica to qualify from the group 10.00 is my favourite bet for the group stage. England and Italy just look pathetic and I can't see that changing in the Brazil heat.