Arsenal v Manchester United > Wednesday February 12th

Aidymac

Re: Arsenal v Manchester United > Wednesday February 12th BBC: Marouane Fellaini is back on the bench for Manchester United, who make two changes. Arsenal: Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Arteta, Wilshere, Rosicky, Ozil, Cazorla, Giroud Man Utd: De Gea, Rafael, Smalling, Vidic, Evra; Valencia, Cleverley, Carrick, Mata; Rooney, van Persie

Re: Arsenal v Manchester United > Wednesday February 12th

It's really interesting seeing all the different views and opinions to this game. When these teams met earlier in the season almost everyone (myself included) got the outcome wrong ...
Yeah, it was 1-0 to Man United.

It's easy to run off the top names, RVP, Rooney and Mata and conjure up images of some flair sodden, cohesive attacking unit, fact is they aren't. RVP needs decent service which he isn't getting and hasn't played much recently. Rooney is playing deeper and deeper because the midfield are so useless that they can't get the ball to him. Mata is playing wide midfield which isn't his position at all, if United continue to look for him in wide areas they won't get the best out of him. Arsenal aren't playing that well currently but they will certainly improve after the bolloc*ing they got on Saturday, Giroud looks knackered but they don't have many other options as Wenger doesn't want to go with a 'false 9' or try anyone else upfront - looks like the ideal time to try Podolski up there to me. Given that Arsenal are generally rock solid defensively at home against the better sides, I think that a home victory is more likely than an under/over bet. Arsenal are good at playing between the lines and will enjoy the extra space United will give them, the biggest problem with Arsenal from a defensive point of view is the current suspension of Flamini, they badly missed him on Sat as they had nobody in there who can play his role. United set up differently though, there is no plan to play Mata centrally where he is obviously very effective as that would upset Rooney, Moyes is too predictable to go with anything other than a fairly offensive line-up, I'm sure Mata and RVP will play but they offer little when they are defending which you need to do as a team against Arsenal. Arsenal aren't suddenly finished after one game and United don't possess the defensive abilities to make it too difficult for Arsenal to score, the centre of defence and midfield has been chopped and changed all season and Moyes has no idea what his best line-up is in either position. It will sound harsh but Moyes needs to up his tactical IQ to get anything out of these games, there were serious questions asked by Everton fans as to whether he was up to this considering their terrible record against all the top sides when he was with them, and what have we seen so far to make us think it will all come together at the Emirates? I've seen nothing. Looks a good price to me with a bit of draw cover too. Arsenal -0.25AH - 1.85 - pinnacle - 3 Points HALF LOSS
Wasn't far off in the analysis, but Arsenal didn't have enough invention to break through United's rearguard. Boring game and the point is no use to either side really. Cracking fans at Arsenal ain't they!? Booooooooooooo at FT..how could they possibly only draw at home!? Must be terrible to only be second in the league! Don't know why Wenger bothers at all to be honest, thought the 'support' was terrible all night, very keen to get on the players backs at every opportunity.

Re: Arsenal v Manchester United > Wednesday February 12th Horrid, insipid game. Either van Persie or Giroud scores early and the game opens up. Moyes just does not have a clue. Cleverly did /does nothing for the whole game. Valencia is just not the player he was before he broke his ankle. Mata must feel like he's back at Chelsea being subbed again. Fellani fit yet no game time for him. Where does he fit into this fcuk-up ? I think there was a 45 minutes period where United could not pass the ball to Rooney or van Persie. WTF is that ? These guys are earning fortunes and are playing like clowns (Arsenal and Man United) Moyes has United under-performing so badly its awful. Boring, slow, dull. On the flip side Arsenal showed just how they miss a FRESH top quality striker. Wenger's tightness in even getting a guy on loan, will screw their chances of winning the league.

Re: Arsenal v Manchester United > Wednesday February 12th The sooner people start to realise United are no longer a team full of superstars the better! Take attack out of it, midfield is Bottom 10 at best, Defence is mid table at best. What do you expect? Yes, Moyes has to take some blame, but at the end of the day United's squad is full of sub-standard average players and that was a good point for them. Unders was the value in that game all day long, simply because Arsenal were always going to have the majority of the ball and because they are too reliant on Giroud so they would find it hard to score. And the stats leaned that way massively also.

The sooner people start to realise United are no longer a team full of superstars the better! Take attack out of it, midfield is Bottom 10 at best, Defence is mid table at best. What do you expect? Yes, Moyes has to take some blame, but at the end of the day United's squad is full of sub-standard average players and that was a good point for them. Unders was the value in that game all day long, simply because Arsenal were always going to have the majority of the ball and because they are too reliant on Giroud so they would find it hard to score. And the stats leaned that way massively also.
Look , good call on the unders :notworthy, but you were looking at the Arsenal stats at home. If you look at the overs, and United Away stats the numbers also look good. So there was a reasonable argument for both sides of the over/under equation. In this game I definitely thought Arsenal would have a reaction after being reamed last game I expected them to score a couple against a suspect United defense, and van Persie or Rooney to take one of their good chances. Makes a big difference if van Persie scores with the goal gaping after 5 minutes, or Giroud hits the target with a free header from 5 yards. Game just needed relatively early goal to open up a bit.

Re: Arsenal v Manchester United > Wednesday February 12th I eat humble pie where Moyes is concerned. I thought he'd be alright as a manager for United pre season but was well wrong. He's tried to stamp his mark too early and is clueless tactically. He's really been found out, which is shocking. I don't believe the squad is that bad, I'm sorry but when you have players as good as Van Persie and Rooney in the squad you find ways of feeding them but Moyes seems one dimensional to me. Moyes isn't a winner which I massively underestimated. With regards to Arsenal they're not winners, just look at the way they celebrated the win over Fulham, it was like they'd won the cup. They should have beaten united hands down today but lacked the balls.

Look ' date= good call on the unders :notworthy, but you were looking at the Arsenal stats at home. If you look at the overs, and United Away stats the numbers also look good. So there was a reasonable argument for both sides of the over/under equation. In this game I definitely thought Arsenal would have a reaction after being reamed last game I expected them to score a couple against a suspect United defense, and van Persie or Rooney to take one of their good chances. Makes a big difference if van Persie scores with the goal gaping after 5 minutes, or Giroud hits the target with a free header from 5 yards. Game just needed relatively early goal to open up a bit.
The Arsenal home stats, 1 goal conceded in 11 home games, and 10 of the 11 games going Under 2.5 is enough of a stat to see that Under 2.5 Goals was the value at 21/20. As I already said, you cannot compare home form with away form, the 5-1 defeat never even entered my head when I was placing my bet, nor did United's away form which did show a lot of Overs.. It is not purely about the stats, you have to think about the game. Arsenal have a lone striker that is very hit and miss and Arsenal are very reliant on him, so if he does not produce the goods Arsenal are going to struggle to score. On the flipside, United are too weak in midfield to create anything of great significance at the other end just like in the 1-0 defeat at Anfield. The got battered by City 4-1 and Chelsea 3-1 because Chelsea & City have match winners in their team unlike Arsenal at the moment. So no Neil, my bet on the Unders was not JUST because of Arsenal's home stats. ;)