** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Friday 4:00 > Foxhunter Chase

Re: Friday 4:00 > Foxhunter Chase Cottage Oak who was 3rd in this last year is out for the season and Beshabar who was being aimed at the race has been retired after getting injured again. Quel Esprit did pop up in some lists after winning a point to point, but he can't run in any hunter chases in Britain as he has won too much prize money. Mossey Joe is current market leader and was sold at Cheltenham on the weekend for 160k. Plenty of money for an 11yo. He has gone to Enda Bolger's and apparently Cheltenham and the Grand National are the targets. I must admit I have some doubts about him being ready for Cheltenham given he hasn't been in training from what I can gather for a while. On form he should be the market leader, but I certainly would not be wanting to back him at the moment.

Re: Friday 4:00 > Foxhunter Chase

How do you rate Salsifys chances? I know your normally a fan.
He has claims, but I don't think he was as good last season as he was the year before and of course he was lucky to win this race. Cheltenham form is crucial though and it is hard to see him being out of the frame all things being equal. The big hunter chase at Leopardstown next month will tell us more as it should see all the big runners from Ireland (bar Mossey Joe) go head to head.

Re: Friday 4:00 > Foxhunter Chase taken from irishracing.com Salsify Cheltenham run in doubt Salsify faces a crucial seven days if he is to attempt to land the CGA Foxhunter Chase at Cheltenham for the third year in a row. Rodger Sweeney's nine-year-old knocked a joint in a gallop last week and has missed his last two scheduled pieces of work. Sweeney has already ruled him out of his intended run at Leopardstown this weekend in the Raymond Smith Memorial. "He's not running Sunday as he knocked a joint in a gallop last Tuesday," said Sweeney. "We thought we'd be able to help him get over it, but we haven't so we'll just have to keep monitoring it. "He's missed his last two pieces of work and if he misses it next week then he won't be going to Cheltenham, you can't go there unless you are 100 per cent fit. "So, the dream is dashed at the minute but that's horses for you." Salsify was a fortunate winner at Cheltenham last year as Oscar Delta unseated Jane Mangan after the last but he turned the tables emphatically at Punchestown a month later, beating the same rival by 35 lengths.

Re: Friday 4:00 > Foxhunter Chase Yes shame we won't get to see Salsify so he could at least bid to land the hat-trick. Pearlysteps qualified yesterday at Ludlow, but in my view he would need it to be bottomless to have any sort of chance and the form of his two win doesn't add up to an awful lot. Hopefully I will be seeing the leading UK chance Harbour Court in a point at Cottenham on Saturday and on Sunday we have the big hunter chase at Leopardstown to look forward to.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Friday 4:00 > Foxhunter Chase I suggest people take the 5/1 on Mossey Joe with Paddy's now. He is set to run in a point on Sunday and if he wins as expected I suspect that price will disappear. Apparently the horse looked in good shape when working at Leopardstown last weekend and it seems like Enda has managed to get the horse ready for the race. He is head and shoulders above anything else set to line up and current 2nd/3rd favourite Tammy's Hill is unlikely to line up.

Do you know where the PTP is? So glad to read his prep has picked up pace with Enda Bolger previously sounding unsure about going for Cheltenham. Obviously pocket talking as on at 5's in a double with Sprinter Sacre..
SS is out mate, shame, but true. I have plenty burns cream left over from my anti post bets 2013 - so just say the word.

Didn't appear to run today despite being on the card? Any reason for this addpea?
Yes he didn't run on Sunday but as his owner says in today's Racing Post there are no issues with him and Cheltenham is his target. 34 horses have been entered and there are no massive shocks and I still think Mossey Joe is the one they all have to beat.

Re: Friday 4:00 > Foxhunter Chase Can't say I am happy with the trainer's quotes in the paper. Apparently he needs another week, well he still would have won in my view given how much he had in hand. Makes the race wide open though and ground will be crucial. Sent from my GT-I8190N using PL Forum

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Friday 4:00 > Foxhunter Chase Berties Dream - Already a Cheltenham Festival winner after causing a shock in the Albert Bartlett in 2010. He has also run with great credit when finishing 6th in the Ladbrokes World Hurdle in 2011 and 5th in the Pertemps Final last year. He is now trained over here and has run in three points so far this season. First up I saw him run at Chaddesley Corbett over Christmas where he was a fair third. He has followed that up with two easy victories at Ampton and North Carlton. Now none of those three pieces of form scream Foxhunter winner, but he clearly still retains plenty of ability and given his Cheltenham Festival record you have to respect his chances. Obviously those runs were over hurdles and he was better over hurdles, but his form over fences is decent as well so the Cheltenham fences shouldn't cause too many issues. He also won't mind the drying ground. Boxing Along - Already run in 7 points/hunter chases this season and although he is fairly consistent at the right level he shouldn't be good enough to get involved here. Carsonstown Boy - Useful Irish point to pointer and hunter chaser who finished 2nd to Tammy's Hill at Fairyhouse last season. There were only five runners that day and the rest of his form leaves him with a fair bit to find with the leading protagonists. Certain Flight - This is a very interesting contender. He was useful enough, but this season has seen a pretty big improvement. First up he clocked a very fast time when winning at Chipley Park before beating Hunter Chase winner Adept Approach at Milborne St Andrew. The winning distance that day was only 2L, but it could have been much more. Following that he hacked up in a hunter chase at Huntingdon. Although he didn't beat much he won as he liked and importantly he jumped well given it was his first time over Rules fences. He will handle the drying ground is and importantly he has the best amateur rider in Britain Will Biddick aboard. Croan Rock - Wouldn't win even if he started now Current Exchange - Pulled up in this last year. Landed a decent price at Leicester last week but all his form suggests he needs a flat track. Divine Intavention - Finished 2nd in this last albeit a long way behind Salsify. Has moved yards to Martin Keighley this season and has won a couple of handicaps although he was rather lucky to win the first at Market Rasen. Connections wanted to run him in the Kim Muir but he has little chance of getting in that race. He is useful, but has always looked just shy of the best hunter chases and he will be doing well to repeat last year's 2nd. Doctor Kingsley - Was 4th in this last year although mainly thanks to so many horses pulling up before the last. Has won at the last two hunter chase nights here so no doubts about him handling the track and is another who won't mind what the ground is. He was a good 2nd to Palypso De Creek at Wetherby last time, but he will be doing well to repeat last year's 4th let alone go 3 places better. Double Bank - Good winner of a bad hunter chase at Wincanton, but he will struggle to see this trip out even if he was good enough. Foundry Square - Two good hunter chase runs with a shocker at Ludlow in between. The form of his Newbury win hasn't worked out at all though and hard to see him winning. Gale Force Oscar - Irish point and hunter chase form is poor. Ganbei - Has won 7 of his 16 points and has form to suggest he can win a hunter chase at some point, but his form suggests he shouldn't be good enough to win this. He has won a couple of points already this season, but the form isn't overly strong at this level and he is prone to making mistakes. Harbour Court - I first saw Harbour Court when he won his second start at Charing 2 years ago. He looked a horse to keep an eye on and so it has proved as he has only been beaten once in six point starts and if you ignore what happened at Kelso where he was brought down at the first then he is two from two in hunter chases. He was really impressive in the Intermediate Final here on hunter chase night and although the runners in behind haven't done a huge amount for the form, he could do no more than win as easily as he did. He was less impressive in the John Corbett at Stratford when James Tudor nearly pulled him up because he wasn't traveling. He then came back on the bridle after jumping the third last and in the end won pretty cosily. Again the quality of the field wasn't great but he obviously did it well enough in the end. After the Kelso mishap he ran at Cottenham where he had little more than a cantor round as he won at 1/5. He is clearly very unexposed and we don't know how good he is, but he is trained but the right man and ridden by a very good jockey so that is in his favour. His form means he is probably under-priced at the moment, but he could also turn out to be good enough to win this. Kirkleigh - Needs it bottomless which it isn't going to be. Made In Time - An interesting contender in the JP McManus colours and trained by Rebecca Curtis. He hadn't been seen since August 2012 when running at Ludlow at the beginning of February. He ran well, but not surprisingly couldn't beat Pearlysteps after such a long layoff. He then qualified for this by winning at Ludlow over a trip too short and the 2nd horse has won since, although Rob Conti disappointed on Sunday The trip should suit and he will handle better ground. A decent run wouldn't surprise, but I am not sure he is quite good enough to win. Minella Stars - Has had a good season pointing after being off the track since December 2012. He has already run 5 times and has won 3 of them. I saw him win the first of those at Chaddesley Corbett where he idled on the run-in, but had enough to score and it has been the same in the two wins since. The form is solid enough and he can probably win a hunter chase this season, but I would be a bit surprised if he was good enough to win this. Ockey De Neulliac - Put in a great front running performance to win the Walrus at Haydock and that was on the back of two Ladies Open wins since moving from Ferdy Murphy's yard. Based on his four runs this season he seems to have improved for the change of yard. He fully deserves to take his chance and will no doubt give it a good go from the front, but I am not sure he will be able to see them all off. Think he will handle better ground as well which will help him stay better. On The Fringe - Likely to go off favourite, but I am happy to take him on. He made a winning reappearance at Down Royal on Boxing Day which was his first run since winning at the 2012 Punchestown Festival. Tammy's Hill who he beat at Down Royal reversed the form in the Raymond Smith at Leopardstown last month. He looked the winner that day until he tired on the run-in and that is my concern with him. He ran in this race in 2011 and having been in second jumping the last he faded badly on the run-in to finish 4th. Obviously he is three years older so there is every chance he will stay better now, but that Leopardstown run suggested to me he still has stamina issues and I just can't see him getting up the hill. Finally I am not even sure he will line-up given he was taken out of this a couple of years ago because of the fastening ground. Oscar Delta - Has to go down as the unluckiest horse ever at a Festival after losing his poor jockey yards from the line last year. He has a fantastic record in this race having finished 3rd twice and of course he should have won last year. That record means he has to be respected, but in my view he comes here in the worse form yet having been beaten at odds on in two points, including by Carsonstown Boy. I can imagine him being popular because of his record and if he was 20/1 I probably would have had a small bet each-way, but he is half those odds and shorter and he is no value at all. I also think he needs it testing to be at his best and I get the feeling he blew the best chance he will ever have of winning this. Palypso De Creek - Another horse who thrives in testing conditions and has had a cracking couple of seasons winning nine times last season, although I actually think his best effort came at the Cheltenham hunter chase night when only just failing to get up over 2m5f. He has won two hunter chases this season beating Doctor Kingsley at Wetherby and Foundry Square at Doncaster proving yet again he stays all day and loves cut in the ground. As long as their is some cut in the ground I think he has the potential to hit the frame as he will be staying much better than most although the downside is Clare Hart can't claim her 7lbs. Pearlysteps - Henry Daly's charge had been on the downgrade which is probably why he decided to send him hunter chasing. He has had his conditions for both his hunter chase wins at Towcester and Ludlow as he loves heavy ground. The Towcester win was a stroll in the park and the Ludlow win was better form as he beat Made In Time albeit that he was having his first start for ages. It is hard to know fully how good he still is, but I do think he is ground dependent as he loves heavy ground. I also have an issue with his jumping and although he has completed on both trips to Cheltenham he has made mistakes and he nearly unshipped his jockey at Towcester. I think his jumping could be his downfall in a Championship race and I think he will struggle on the fast ground. Ravethebrave - Won a bad hunter chase last year, but otherwise he struggled under Rules. He clocked a very fast time when winning at Badbury Rings last time, but I can't see him staying and get the feeling he is only running here to give the trainers son a ride in the race. Shy John - Seems to have improved this season having won three out of four including two hunter chases at Wincanton and Leicester. He idles very badly and I wouldn't take the fact he only beat an outsider by 1/2L at Leicester at true value. Having said that I can see why connections are taking their chance, but he shouldn't be good enough to win this. Tammy's Hill - One of the best hunter chasers in Ireland as he proved when beating On The Fringe at Leopardstown. It was a bit of a surprise to see him run over a shorter trip next time at Fairyhouse and there was no discredit in finishing 3rd behind Warne. It is slightly surprising that he has yet to run in this race and given connections mentioned the Ulster National rather than this after his Leopardstown win you get the feeling they aren't big fans of this race. They did send him over for Stratford's big one last June, but he disappointed on ground that was too fast for him and I get the feeling connections might stay in Ireland given the sunny weather. That's Rhythm - It was fantastic to see this 14yo win at Musselburgh last time and it proved he is as good as ever despite his age. I would love to see him win this, but the fact is he has run terribly both times he has run at Cheltenham, including when falling in this race last year, is a big concern for me. He seems better at flatter tracks and you sense connections know that, but I can fully understand if they try again to give his young jockey a first ride in the race. The Hollinwell - Has already run nine times this season since leaving Ferdy Murphy to go over to Ireland and he has won four points. He was rated 138 in his prime, but he was on the downgrade the last time he ran under Rules and his pointing form is a fair way short of what is needed here. Also he has run poorly both times he has been to the Festival before. Up There - No idea why he has even been entered. Lucette Annie - Loves heavy ground, but doubtful she would be good enough anyway. Verdict - At the moment there are only three horses in single figure odds and I am happy to leave On The Fringe (won't stay), Harbour Court (could be anything but price is too short) and Tammy's Hill (needs testing ground). What we also have to consider is that the two Irish horses might not even line up. I am going to tip three horses up who are all currently 20/1 or bigger. The main pick is Certain Flight. I don't think his form is much different from Harbour Court, indeed if you use Hameldow Tor as a yardstick then Certain Flight comes out as the better horse. He maybe nine, but he has really improved this season and with Will Biddick aboard I think he has a much better chance than his odds of 20/1 suggest. The next pick is Palypso De Creek although he is probably worth waiting to back until the day as we will get an extra place and we will know if he is actually going to line up or not. He kloves testing ground, but the run at Cheltenham in May proves he handles better ground and I hope they run him. He is in great form, stays all day and I can see him running up the hill better than most. I also suggest waiting until the day to back the final pick which is Ockey De Neulliac who I can see running a big race from the front. It might be hard for him to stay there, but he seems in great heart at the moment and given he is 40/1 he could hit the frame.

Re: Friday 4:00 > Foxhunter Chase Great write up, very informative. The one that stands out to me at the prices is Bertie's Dream, i quite like the Cheltenham/big race experience angle. I know very little about points but understand his comeback 3rd was on testing ground which probably didn't suit him? Plus Gina Andrews is positive in the saddle I must admit i'm rather surprised at the price of Pearlysteps, i backed him when i was at Towcester in January and he didn't really strike me as a Cheltenham winner either. I'd be surprised if he was good enough if i'm honest...

Great write up, very informative. The one that stands out to me at the prices is Bertie's Dream, i quite like the Cheltenham/big race experience angle. I know very little about points but understand his comeback 3rd was on testing ground which probably didn't suit him? Plus Gina Andrews is positive in the saddle I must admit i'm rather surprised at the price of Pearlysteps, i backed him when i was at Towcester in January and he didn't really strike me as a Cheltenham winner either. I'd be surprised if he was good enough if i'm honest...
Yes it was bottomless when Bertie's Dream was 3rd on his point debut. He has beaten little of note in his two point wins so hard to fully know how much ability he retains. Couldn't put you off though and a bold showing from him wouldn't surprise given his previous Festival form and the ground is in his favour.

Re: Friday 4:00 > Foxhunter Chase Cheltenham 4:00 - Cga Foxhunter Chase Challenge Cup(2) 3m2f 110yds I am a big fan of Harbour Court here, the manner of his victory here at Cheltenham last May was very taking and he has much more room for improvement than some of these. He won a decent race at Stratford after that and was a well fancied favourite when he unseated early on last time out. Oscar Delta was so unlucky in this race last year, he had the race sewn up but somehow the jockey got unshipped coming up the hill to let Salsify take the spoils. They were miles clear of the rest so if he comes here in that sort of form, I can't see him out of the places. HARBOUR COURT - Win @ 5/1 Bet Victor OSCAR DELTA - Each-way @ 10/1 Stan James Read Full Preview @ http://www.horse-racing.org/foxhunter-chase-preview-harbour-court-looks-like-a-very-talented-horse

Cheltenham 4:00 - Cga Foxhunter Chase Challenge Cup(2) 3m2f 110yds I am a big fan of Harbour Court here, the manner of his victory here at Cheltenham last May was very taking and he has much more room for improvement than some of these. He won a decent race at Stratford after that and was a well fancied favourite when he unseated early on last time out. Oscar Delta was so unlucky in this race last year, he had the race sewn up but somehow the jockey got unshipped coming up the hill to let Salsify take the spoils. They were miles clear of the rest so if he comes here in that sort of form, I can't see him out of the places. HARBOUR COURT - Win @ 5/1 Bet Victor OSCAR DELTA - Each-way @ 10/1 Stan James Read Full Preview @ http://www.horse-racing.org/foxhunter-chase-preview-harbour-court-looks-like-a-very-talented-horse
As I state in my preview Harbour Court has run since the Kelso race.

Re: Friday 4:00 > Foxhunter Chase im all over divine intavention ............I just think that catterick run last time looked so impressive and which of these has form like that ?...........14/1 looks huge .........I took 16/s last night ...........e.w bet I think just looks rock solid and im excited to see how he runs divine intavention 3pts e.w 14/1 generally

im all over divine intavention ............I just think that catterick run last time looked so impressive and which of these has form like that ?...........14/1 looks huge .........I took 16/s last night ...........e.w bet I think just looks rock solid and im excited to see how he runs divine intavention 3pts e.w 14/1 generally
I would say quite a few have better form than that Catterick run. Granted he won by miles, but it wasn't a very strong race at all.

FWIW Robbie McNamara believes Tammy's Hill is a far better horse on better ground and he beat On The Fringe despite the ground that day.
Well he ran a stinker on better ground at Stratford, although he could have been over the top that day. They also think he is a bad traveler although they have tried to make sure he has coped ok with it. He has won on good ground but his best form is when the mud is flying.

Re: Friday 4:00 > Foxhunter Chase Well done if you backed Tammy's Hill he had the class to win, but like I say I was worried about the ground and the trip over. Stratford was clearly a blip. Got most of the others right although Certain Flight wasn't quite good enough in the end but it wasn't a bad effort. Should have just layed Oscar Delta for a place as he was a crazy price in the end.