Group A - Mexico v Cameroon > Friday June 13th

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617]

[TR=class: row0, bgcolor: #F0F0F0] [TD=class: firstColumn]Mexico v Cameroon (17:00 GMT)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.22[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.4[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]4[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]99.46 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• 6 months later...

Re: Group A - Mexico v Cameroon > Friday June 13th There is bets to be had here,but which? The Mexico have becoming a tidier side under their new manager, but as a force in the world cup,probably not,Cameron have E'to upfront talented but age is against him,Song another classy player in midfield,but on the face of it both teams look closely matched. My bet would be back the Draw.

Re: Group A - Mexico v Cameroon > Friday June 13th

There is bets to be had here,but which? The Mexico have becoming a tidier side under their new manager, but as a force in the world cup,probably not,Cameron have E'to upfront talented but age is against him,Song another classy player in midfield,but on the face of it both teams look closely matched. My bet would be back the Draw.
I do have some selections in mind for this game but I'm going to wait for the outcome of Brazil V Croatia, in the unlikely event of a Croatia victory it could affect the mentality of Mexico and Cameroon heading into this game. More to follow on Thursday.

Re: Group A - Mexico v Cameroon > Friday June 13th 3pts Both teams to score 5/4 William Hill Usually first matches of the group are quite tight affairs and with Brazil to come you would expect both to adopt a must not lose mentality about this match but despite that I think that both sides will be looking to win to put themselves in a position to go through behind Brazil. I’m not convinced Cameroon are good enough defensively to keep things tight and look for something on the break so they may well force the game which should present more opportunities than expected which makes both teams to score a touch big at 5/4. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/mexico-vs-cameroon-betting-brazil-effect-may-make-this-more-open-game

Re: Group A - Mexico v Cameroon > Friday June 13th Looking at the stats of the referee Roldan, it turns out that he showed 7 red cards in his last 9 games and on average shows more than 4 cards/game. Given the importance of the game for the outcome of the group, it will be not a surprise if we see a lot of cards in this game. Taking into consideration yesterday's huge mistake by the Japanese referee, there will be some more pressure on the referees as well. http://int.soccerway.com/referees/wilmar-roldan/115331/ Even though it is expected to be a close encounter with not many goals, actually the 2.60 price for Over 2.5 and 2.00 for Over 2 AH seems like a good value to me. In case of an early goal, the game will definitely open up and we can see some goals. Over 4.5 cards @ 2.00 Bet365 Over 2.5 goals @ 2.60 Bet365 Over 2.000 goals AH @ Bet365

Re: Group A - Mexico v Cameroon > Friday June 13th Mexico vs Cameroon = both teams to score @ 2.05 Marathonbet (6/10 stake) First game of Group A where both these outsiders suppose to grab their necks in a fight to earn some points before facing Brazil and Croatia next. On paper Mexico have a slight bigger advantage playing in similar conditions to the home ones, they’re more technical side and have not so bad World Cup history. In contrast Cameroon are not so far away from these abilities but are rather more physical side. All in all I expect both teams to cancel each other with their probably cautious approach and won’t be happy to lose the opening game. So a narrow 1:1 is to be expected as a safe start for both sides that might be a suicidal in a later stage of the Group fight. :hope

Re: Group A - Mexico v Cameroon > Friday June 13th Can anyone tell me if Cameroons draw with Germany is significant, were Germany playing an under strength or mismatched side. Mexico played pretty poorly in their friendlies, but that result suggests to me (if it was a full strength German side) that they are not going to get turned over. I want to say Cameroon win and at 3/1 I think those odds are very good. As they managed to hold them to 0-0 at HT, could be that they will start a tight game again and no goals before HT is likely.

Can anyone tell me if Cameroons draw with Germany is significant, were Germany playing an under strength or mismatched side. Mexico played pretty poorly in their friendlies, but that result suggests to me (if it was a full strength German side) that they are not going to get turned over. I want to say Cameroon win and at 3/1 I think those odds are very good. Even so much as they managed to hold them to 0-0 at HT. Could be that they will start a tight game again and no goals before HT is likely.
Based on the friendly lineup (http://int.soccerway.com/matches/2014/06/01/world/friendlies/germany/cameroon/1630380/), Germany was missing Neuer, Lahm, Schmelzer, Schweinsteiger and Klose, while Khedira was regaining fitness. Despite this, Germany did field a strong XI, and based on the post-match interviews, Low mentioned Germany were not in tip-top fitness level. Another thing to note is the friendlies opponent's strength: Cameroon beat Moldova 1-0 and Macedonia 2-0, lost to Paraguay 1-2 and Portugal 1-5. Including the Germany game, they faced World Cup opponents twice this year. Mexico played in 7 friendlies, out of which 6 qualified for this World Cup, with 3 wins (Korea, Israel, Ecuador), 2 draws (Nigeria, USA) & 2 narrow 0-1 defeats (Bosnia, Portugal). Granted, Portugal was missing Ronaldo, but I wouldn't place too much empahsis on how 'well' Cameroon did in their friendlies.

with Brazil to come you would expect both to adopt a must not lose mentality about this match but despite that I think that both sides will be looking to win to put themselves in a position to go through behind Brazil.
Good points about Brazil :ok

Mexico vs Cameroon = both teams to score @ 2.05 Marathonbet (6/10 stake) First game of Group A where both these outsiders suppose to grab their necks in a fight to earn some points before facing Brazil and Croatia next. On paper Mexico have a slight bigger advantage playing in similar conditions to the home ones, they’re more technical side and have not so bad World Cup history. In contrast Cameroon are not so far away from these abilities but are rather more physical side. All in all I expect both teams to cancel each other with their probably cautious approach and won’t be happy to lose the opening game. So a narrow 1:1 is to be expected as a safe start for both sides that might be a suicidal in a later stage of the Group fight. :hope
Maybe worth betting on the DRAW then at 3.20 at Marathonbet ? At the moment they are offering the best price on the draw. Hill are at 2.90, Ladbrokes at 3.00 while Paddy at 3.10 and the Exchange at 3.15.

Can anyone tell me if Cameroons draw with Germany is significant, were Germany playing an under strength or mismatched side. Mexico played pretty poorly in their friendlies, but that result suggests to me (if it was a full strength German side) that they are not going to get turned over. I want to say Cameroon win and at 3/1 I think those odds are very good. As they managed to hold them to 0-0 at HT, could be that they will start a tight game again and no goals before HT is likely.
Well I´ve seen the friendly game Germany-Cameroon. The german team missed several players and had fitness problems after hard training sessions. They were not to hold the preasure they showed in the first ten minutes. But it has to be said that Cameroon could have been easily 0-2 down after three minutes as Germany forced confusion in Cameroon's defense and missed several top chances. A complete and fully fit German team would have won the game for sure as Cameroon has big defensive problems. But the big question is: can poorly Mexico take advantage of this fact? Besides Cameroon played extraordinary unfair and fouled the german side very often and hard. Unfortunately the referee was not able to deal the situation. As this was a friendly we can expect Cameroon to collect many cards in the world cup matches and f.e. a bet on more than 4.5 yellow cards which you can get by odds higher than 2.0 seems to be easy money especially taking into account that we have a referee here who likes to show cards. I can`t understand those odds on a card bet in this game but ok, take and collect :D

Re: Group A - Mexico v Cameroon > Friday June 13th Mexico V Cameroon Under 1.5 @ 6/4 (Betfair) > 3% BR Correct score 1-1 @ 11/2 (Betfair) > 1% BR This fixture will be played in the northern port city of Natal, it will be one of the hotter venues for this years world cup but crucially this game will be kicking off in the middle of the day. Temperatures around kick off should be near 30 degrees with 75% humidity. Rain is also forecast with chance of storms but despite this, conditions should generally be quite stifling and not conducive to a high energy, end to end contest. Cameroon have messed about with their formation in the lead up to the world cup but over the longer scale we know they setup quite defensively with strong players in the centre of the park. An over reliance on Eto’o for goals is problematic and the team generally has a low goal threat. We also know that Mexico tend to play a back-heavy formation due to a lack of pace from their central defenders. If the trend of a deep Mexican line continues here I struggle to see Cameroon getting in behind them very often. The conditions mean energy sapping wing runs cannot be tried as frequently throughout the game and so I’m leaning towards an underish contest here. There’s been a lot of talk about the fact Croatia have lost and so it’s a great chance for these two to capitalize but the counter argument would be Mexico and Cameroon wont want to end up with nil points after round one either. Mexico will be the favorites for this game and the pressure is on them to win but Cameroon may well see this as a chance to avoid defeat, get some points on the board and perhaps even nick a goal to grab all 3. I’ve already cast my doubts in the group thread whether either of these sides have much of a cutting edge. Modules and conditions could potentially scupper a goal feast here so under 1.5 is worth a punt imo but sensible to cover it with a 1-1 correct score encase things get saucy out there. It’s one of my more speculative selections so far in this world cup so I’m lowering the stakes slightly encase of tactical surprises or an early goal.

Re: Group A - Mexico v Cameroon > Friday June 13th Humidity could be a problem for players in Natal, with an average of 97% humidity in the middle of June. So I have to agree with das phantom and think a draw is very likely.

Re: Group A - Mexico v Cameroon > Friday June 13th 1-1 was 8/1 @ bet365 this morning but has backed in to 5/1. I had a 2 unit stake at 8/1 based on the principle that after last nights result both of these teams will be looking to get a point on the board at least as losing will really hurt their chances of qualification. I'd say on paper Mexico are slightly better as a team, but will find it hard to break down Cameroon. Cameroon to take a lead early in the second half and Mexico to peg back quickly would be my suggestion. Will be looking to cash out early if the score does reach 1-1 in the second half.

Just heard a Mexican football journalist interviewed on the BBC Radio Five Live. I'm pretty sure he said Mexico have never beaten an African team.
Mexico have never beaten at African team at a World Cup Finals tournament, losing one and drawing two of their three meetings against sides from that continent so far. 1978 - Lost 1-3 against Tunisia, who became the 1st African team to win a game in World Cup. 2006 - Drew 0-0 against Angola 2010 - Drew 1-1 against South Africa

Re: Group A - Mexico v Cameroon > Friday June 13th Mexico have had a turbulent campaign, whereas they were on the verge of being eliminated sensationally, when only an extra time goal from US in Panama salvaged Mexico and threw Panama out of World Cup. Mexico changed 4 coaches only within the last year. They suffer from inability to score goals as they failed to score in 5 of their 10 matches in the CONCACAF hexagonal and they scored more than 1 goal only twice. In the recent friendlies, they failed to score in their last two friendlies (Portugal and Bosnia), but scored 3 goals against both Ecuador and Israel. Mexico plays with 5-3-2 with much emphasis on the defense. They have a very balanced team with 17-18 players challenging for a starting place and just several players who are considered firm starters. Although they have many problems scoring goals, in attack they have a rich choice among experienced scorer Oribe Peralta, Man United's Chicarito, Villareal's Dos Santos and one of the best youth talents in America - Raul Jimenez. The main reason why Mexico struggles in attack is that their midfield provides little creativity and dynamics which often makes the star players in Mexico's attack being isolated. Cameroon also had a difficult campaign, marked by inability to score goals. They were lucky in the group stage to get awarded administratively 3 points against Togo (in a game they actually lost on the pitch), otherwise, they might have failed to qualify for the play-offs. Nevertheless, the Indominable Lions were very convincing in the play-offs where they crushed Tunisia. Cameroon normally plays with 4-3-3. They resemble Mexico in the way the struggle to score goals, despite that they have a number of great attackers: experienced Eto'o and Webo, Bundesliga's Choupo Moting and one of the best strikers of French Liga I - Aboubakar. Cameroon's weak point is also the less productive midfield, dominated by players with primarily defensive functions like Mbia and Alex Song. In defense, Cameroon has a number of high quality players, nevertheless, I question a bit their defensive performances, as they conceded some very easy goals in recent friendlies (5 from Portugal and 2 from Paraguay's reserves). Another problem for Cameroon might be the bad microclimate inside the dressing room. All in all, I favor slightly Mexico as they look like more balanced and more stable defensively side. However, at 2.20 they are probably priced correctly. Therefore, I prefer to follow the goal market, as I believe this won't be an entertaining game but rather a tactical battle between two physical sides with less creative midfields. A draw won't be bad result for either team as their main goal will not to lose the opening match, which could put them in almost impossible situation to qualify as they will face Brazil and Croatia, being already 3 points behind the qualification spots. Moreover, the humidity in Natal can play important role and affect the tempo of the game. Under 2 @ 2.05 (Marathon)

Re: Group A - Mexico v Cameroon > Friday June 13th I cannot see many goals in this game. Both teams are missing world class striker and at the top of that the team which lose this game is almost already out of the tournament because beating Croatia AND Brazil is almost impossible. Probably very careful start of the game and if one team manages to score then we might see some cat & mouse game between two medicore teams. Under 2.5

Re: Group A - Mexico v Cameroon > Friday June 13th At times Cameroon look poor and uninterested. Currently 1-0 to Mexico but once again very poor decisions from the officials are the main talking points rather than the quality of play. I dont think Croatia should be shaking in their boots mind.

Re: Group A - Mexico v Cameroon > Friday June 13th The result went according to plan but the game had much more action than I was expecting. Mexico had two legitimate goals ruled out in first half with yet more poor officiating. Cameroon played with a back 6 but it was almost pointless as there was no tracking of runners whatsoever and Mexico carved them open on a number of occasions. Deserved win for Mexico, I'm just happy to take the profits and move on.