** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Eurovision Song Contest 21st May 2005

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 21st May 2005 christ I'm way behind on this , I remember last year that it matters not the quality of the song only the geography! If I hear a catchy tune from either the balkans or the old soviet republics then I'm getting into them.

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 21st May 2005 Ok...listening to them all now..... Austria...is that a joke??? c'est terrible' :lol really like Belarus-Love me tonight (very Europop) Croatia...ohh very moody,but crap. I like Finland,kinda sexy. France..very dancy...makes me wanta get my kit off and lapdance Macedonia-hmmm ok Germany-now I like this cross between Shakira and Cher Greece-Pants!!Trying to be Anastacia Hungary-very Native..catchy Iceland-Not bad,could imagine dancing in Turkey to that Ireland...wtf??Donna and Joe??? red rotten! Isreal-Jesus Christ!! Latvia-Nil points! Lithunaia- Interesting little number,quite like it Malta-.'Mon the fat birds!!!:clap Moldova-Pfttttttt very Shaggy Monaco-Dull Netherlands-I like it..no I dont...its like a song outta a Disney film Norway- Wig wam......lol,80's softrock..the guy looks like a Bon Jovi drag queen :lol Poland-Oh dear Portugal-Oh dear Romania (im hoping things get better)...yeah thats the stuff...I like that! Russia-Is that Marlyn Manson??yeha not bad..very nurock..bet the Russian Goths will love that! Serbia..bad Slovenia....bad Spain...reminds me of that ketchup song..bad Sweden-hmmm bad! is he trying to be Elvis?? Switzerland-yeah ok Turkey...Thats the stuff...not bad at all Ukraine-LMAO! UK-I hate it! They should have got Katie Price

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 21st May 2005 Lithuania and Hungary odds are amazing Stevie. Just put as much money on them as you can afford honest. They have both more chance of qualifying as a double than even Gretna have of beating East Stirling tomorrow imo. amzing prices them Stevie. I aint as keen on Lithuania as i was but cant dee how on earth it wont be there. Hungary will be there as there gonna win the whole tourney.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 21st May 2005 Just thought I'd bring this back to the top seeing as its only a week away :clap I've just taken Paddys offer of 2/1 that Hungary beat Norway, Malta, Switzerland and Iceland. That to be is buying cash and I'm more than happy to do so. :ok The layers will have more match bets up next week, but the outright for me is Hungary at the moment. The more I hear it, the mroe I think it can't get beat. Nobody say Germany :(

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 21st May 2005 There's only so much the novelty acts do AFU, the best performance in recent years if my memory serves was my mate Alf from Austria in 6th a few years back. They take this quite seriously on the continent you know. ;) I thought the Norway track was shite personally, a poor mans Kiss/Darkness tribute. Thats bad :( On a better note, Coral (hate them usually but not this time) have qualification prices up and you can have multiples :ok . Just had a couple of tasty acca's. Also had a touch of Lithunaia on Betfair to win as it was a very silly price (120). Thats plain wrong.

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 21st May 2005 I've talked about this with a few people now. I reckon Norway is horrendous, but people I know say it'll finish top 4. Looking at the odds, maybe I'm wrong? I can't get away from Netherland to qualify as a "banker". Seems decent enough, and on offer to qualify @ 4/7 (VC) and 8/15 (Coral). Any chance of giving us a hint of what your tasty to qualify accas at Coral are Pompybelle? :notworthy

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 21st May 2005 some notes about croatia-bosnia relations last week i saw tv-pool on croatian national tv and bosnian song won about 70% of all votes.girls live in croatia so they are very popular there and if croatia qualify for final they will give 12 points to Bosnia.this is 100% sure.on the other side bosnian will give 10 and 12 points for croatia and serbia. Bosnia song is translated in english,turkish,spanish and danish and they were on tour in UK and Ireland,and ex-yugoslavia republics. girls are very optimistic last year our singer was in TOP10, and they are expecting similar position this year.

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 21st May 2005 Stan James have got some semi final match bets up. Wondered if anyone had strong feelings. Israel at evens against Ireland looks mighty fine. Out of line with most other bookies' expectations on who will qualify. ie. Laddies have Israel 1/2 to qualify, with Ireland at 6/4. Surely Israel should be odds on here? Iceland at 4/6 against Belarus looks second best. Any thoughts?

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 21st May 2005 The semi-final match-bets are a general bugger to handicap although if a country qualfies and one doesnt, well that's easy. Last year's scores if anyone wants a view. http://www.doteurovision.com/2004/semiscore.html EDIT: Forgot that also the scores were released AFTER the final on Saturday last year so if both countries in a match-bet qualify/don't qualify you'll probably have to wait until Sunday night when the scores are released to know whether you're onto a winner or not. I'm too busy trying to write my damn article for Inside Edge but it looks like I've run out of time (hell, I'll just post my thoughts on here instead, no problem).

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 21st May 2005 I've spent the last five and a half hours watching and listening to all 39 songs through the official website and trying to say some nice things about them. For £25 I can't think of anything much. Nice bunch of predictions of who'll qualify from a female journalist and company from http://www.eurovisionblog.com/ who's more used to writing for the likes of Empire. HUNGARY – a no-brainer, since this is pretty much our favourite song in the competition and very well liked by most of the major Eurovision sites and pundits (to say nothing of the bookies – it’s been steadily creeping up the betting for the past few weeks). It would be a big surprise if this failed to get through. ICELAND – another sure thing, as far as we’re concerned. Like Hungary, Selma is one of the favourites to qualify for the final, and we’re pretty certain she’ll do it. We’d even go so far as to predict that the final itself will end up in a three way tussle between Iceland, Hungary and Greece (our favourite finalist – review coming soon). But we wouldn’t be so reckless as to do that. SWITZERLAND – we weren’t too sure about this song at first, but it has really grown on us – and even though there’s a whole lot of girl groups vying for attention in this year’s contest, Vanilla Ninja’s song clearly stands out from the pack. At the very least, we can safely say Switzerland will do better than they did last year, showing how to bounce back from a ‘nul points’ humilation in style (take note, UK Eurovision songwriters). BELARUS – a good, solid contemporary pop song that should stand out all the more given it’s performed in between a whole bunch of ballads. Expect to see Belarus in their very first final. NETHERLANDS – one of the few ballads from the semi-final that genuinely stands out – and common sense tells us that not all of the qualifiers will be uptempo songs. NORWAY – as much as we like this one, we’re frankly baffled by its status as one of the favourites to win the entire contest – sure it’s entertaining but there are definitely more likely winners out there. That said, it’s a fun song that sounds like nothing else in the contest this year – and the colourful performance should see it comfortably through to the final. ROMANIA – we were a bit disparaging about this one at first but the more we’ve listened to it over the past few weeks the more we’ve grown to love it. It reminds us of last year’s Belgian entry, which suggests a lot will depend on its performance – but if Luminita does a good job on the night, she’s in for sure. CROATIA – again, we weren’t too sure about this one, but Eurovision voters tend to be suckers for this kind of thing – it’s reminiscent of last year’s Serbian effort, and that’s no bad thing. And let’s not forget that Croatia have a habit of doing very well at Eurovision – if they can get through with the rather boring ballad they fielded last year, they can do it with this. ISRAEL – this is their strongest entry for years, and as with Netherlands audiences are likely to want a break from the stream of uptempo pop and ethnic numbers – so on those grounds this has a very good chance of sneaking in. POLAND – oh why not? Even the best Eurovision pundits are entitled to one mad, random prediction – and we know it’s an outsider but we love it. We found ourselves torn between Poland and Moldova when it came to picking the last potential finalist – but ultimately gave this the edge because we’re such huge fans of Ivan and Delfin’s song. Besides, the fact it’s the last to be performed, and sounds like nothing else in the contest, must surely mean it’s in with a chance. ========== ....she's nuts on at least three of them though. I'm going to sleep. May be bothered to type something up here but generally too late for me to write an article (I'd never make it as a journalist!). Thinking about taking on Bet365's which group of four from the semi-final will get the most points. Still haven't bothered to ask Bet365 if it applies to just the semi-final or does it include/exclude the final or even not include the semi-final at all. No genuine bankers as they're all headaches in Stan James' match-bets unless Ireland stir up support from somewhere (and they can) to squeeze past Israel. Iceland 4/6 vs Belarus 11/10 Switzerland 'evens' vs Norway 8/11 Romania 5/6 vs Holland 5/6 Estonia 4/7 vs Lithuania 5/4 Israel 'evens' vs Ireland 8/11 Denmark 'evens' vs Moldova 8/11 Portugal 5/6 vs Macedonia 5/6 I might even be tempted to take another ill-advised shot at who'll win the semi-final despite the result not known until after Saturday night's final. I will say this. I hate Norway's entry but is it a counter-bluff or an attempt at an organised sting? ....it's a horrible song but is expected to do well. I'm guessing something's up. 25/1 to around 5s inside two months means either an awful lot of enthusiasm and optimism or some muscle going behind the voting. As i said much, much earlier match-betting and the specials are my way of punting into this not punting on the 'outright winner' market.

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 21st May 2005 May be value in Romania v Netherlands. What what I've gleaned from rehearsal chat the Dutch Whitney-a-like bird has had a pretty bad insect bite of some sort and had her favourite dress she planned to wear for the contest ripped all leading to a pretty p*ss poor 2nd rehearsal performance. Need to sing well with a ballady type song. Romania's upbeat number apparently has some serious fire and smoke oildrum props which are causing problems loading onto the stage in the traditional postcard time between songs...may be spectacular enough to carry a decent enough song into top 4 or 5 I think. Neighbours of a stack of Baltic nations too....always worth points no matter what the song it seems.

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 21st May 2005 I'm not having a go at who's going to win the semi-final. I'd have gone for Hungary but I don't want to lose like last year. Israel vs Ireland's been removed from Stan James. Pressure of Irish money has forced Paddy's to go 10/11 and 4/5 whether Ireland will qualify or not but still 6/4 to be had at Victor Chandler's. Have gone for a gutless eight-fold with Coral's. Hungary - Eurovision Song Contest - To Qualify For Final 1/12 Norway - Eurovision Song Contest - To Qualify For Final 1/8 Switzerland - Eurovision Song Contest - To Qualify For Final 1/7 Iceland - Eurovision Song Contest - To Qualify For Final 1/8 Romania - Eurovision Song Contest - To Qualify For Final 1/3 Latvia - Eurovision Song Contest - To Qualify For Final 4/6 Belarus - Eurovision Song Contest - To Qualify For Final 2/7 Netherlands - Eurovision Song Contest - To Qualify For Final 1/3 £20 pays back £119.65. It's rubbish to what you can get at Victor Chandler's but I've run out of time. :cry

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 21st May 2005 I ran out of time yesterday Stereoman :lol Victor Chandler had Netherlands to qualify at 4/6, but took down their to qualify odds sometime between Tuesday night and yesterday morning. I emailed them to ask if they would put thm back up and they refused :cry Good luck with those, I'm on some of the same :ok

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 21st May 2005 Bloody hell. 5 out of 8 again. I celand, the Netherlands and Belarus 'surprise' no shows. Croatia, Denmark, Hungary, Israel, Latvia, Macedonia, Moldova, Norway, Romania and Switzerland are through to Saturday's final. ....only £20 loss but wow, that insect bite probably did affect the Dutch entry. No idea of the lack of love for Iceland and Belarus. Glad Victor Chandler's didn't take my bet.

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 21st May 2005 The opportunity to genuinely take advantage of the bookies will be soon. Last year the semi-final was on Wednesday so we had an extra day to think of ways to nobble them. This year we've got less than 36 hours. I'm kicking myself for not betting heavily on Latvia (it's a nice song better than the similar Dutch acoustic entry from last year and it doesn't sound anything like Extreme's 'Without You') or getting on Denmark like my brother suggested (I got stung last year by their Justin Timberlake-alike and I didn't go for their Ronan Keating-alike this year!). Pathetic attempt by me tonight and I really should have seen Israel, Moldova, Croatia and even Macedonia coming. £20 and more is recoverable though. Centrebet before tonight had odds for who will finish in the top four. ....if it's anything like last year, it'll be the market leaders of Greece, Hungary and Norway but they're at shitty odds of 2/7, 13/10 and 9/10. To finish in the top four (in italics, did not qualify): GREECE 1.35 NORWAY 1.90 HUNGARY 2.30 ICELAND 3.00 MALTA 3.40 SWITZERLAND 3.40 BELARUS 3.80 BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA 3.80 SPAIN 5.00 CYPRUS 6.00 NETHERLANDS 6.00 SWEDEN 6.00 ROMANIA 7.50 UNITED KINGDOM 7.50 CROATIA 9.00 DENMARK 9.00 SERBIA AND MONTENEGRO 9.00 LATVIA 11.00 MOLDOVA 11.00 RUSSIA 11.00 TURKEY 11.00 ALBANIA 15.00 ESTONIA 15.00 ISRAEL 15.00 LITHUANIA 15.00 UKRAINE 15.00 IRELAND 17.00 SLOVENIA 17.00 AUSTRIA 21.00 FINLAND 21.00 FRANCE 21.00 GERMANY 21.00 MACEDONIA 21.00 BELGIUM 34.00 POLAND 34.00 MONACO 41.00 PORTUGAL 41.00 ANDORRA 51.00 BULGARIA 51.00 Hate it or love it but Norway will factor on Saturday night.

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 21st May 2005 Hoorah one landed already with Netherlands effectively 'not making the cut' in our Romania v Netherlands 5/6 match bet. Mixed night for me with this one up but mysterious lack of votes for 1/8 Iceland meant my safe ~evens Romania/Iceland/Hungary/Switzerland accy went down the pan........ Macedonia Croatia Moldova ? how did these even pick up a single point? Geography ....what a pain in the Balkans....dont look further than that lower right region for your winner folks. Huge block of tactical votes here. Looks like the hyped Greek entry will be there or there abouts....still don't think much of it but then I never thought 7 entries were better than Iceland :D Gotta come from this lot Greece, Hungary, Romania, Cyprus, Ukraine, Turkey, Moldova, Albania, Serbia, Croatia, Macedonia Also UK in match bets will be good to oppose if the semi shows anything it's that quality of song isn't important...we're still disliked and while Javine is much better than last years effort we'll still not pick up many votes Cheers