Paul Carberry on Harchibald. Genius or Cnut!

Cards on the table - I've been backing Harchibald for months.... Even gave out Xmas presents with the horses name on the slip even if I did shrewdly take the 5/1 available at the time.... Generally good jockey. Looks amazing when he gets it right. Today? Showboating ****!!! Got there far too fcukin early! As they went over the last I was pissing myself at how easy he was going! Mistake 2 compounded the first. Having go there too soon, PC should have swallowed his pride, put his balls back in his pocket and thrown hte kitchen fcuking sink at the Horse!! His final mistake was attempting to get the horse going (from apparently 2nd gear) on the steepest part of the course!! What a gypsy! While I'm sure it isn't alot to PC, the grand I would have pocketed is being sorely missed!!! The fact PC thinks the horse can win next year speaks volumes! Francome would have won on it. So would Eddery(I am aware he was a flat jockey but could roust alongany horse!). End of. Anyone who backed Hardy Eustace care to disagree?? I am absolutely gutted. A Grand Don't Come For Free!:cry

Re: Paul Carberry on Harchibald. Genius or Cnut! I have to both agree & also disagree. Firstly I don't think he got there too early, I think he got that right it was the failure to ask the horse the question till 10 strides from the line that was the mistake. However some horses stop when put under too much pressure & maybe if he had gone for the whip Harchibald would have folded up anyway? we shall never know. Like you I feel a little agrieved but we are both talking through our (empty) pockets, what the hell a stiff drink & move on. Just to show how peoples opinions differ the last person I would have on a horse would be Eddery ( I assume you mean Pat & not Paul ) the most over rated CNUT ever to sit on a horses back. Rio.

Re: Paul Carberry on Harchibald. Genius or Cnut! all i can say is unlucky, both Harchibald & Brave Inca ran great races but lets take our hats off to the champion - Hardy Eustace who showed once again what a game horse he is. One of the best champion hurdles i have seen for a while.

Re: Paul Carberry on Harchibald. Genius or Cnut! i was on hardy eustace, saint and i fully agree. looked like harchibald had the beating off him easy inside the last 2. i was sitting in the bookies and i actually screwed up the betting slip as harchibald closed in. i was convinced he would glide past have to say i dont know much about the horses but have jockeys not been banned for non trying such as that? is that gonna be an issue. to my mind the jockey did not give the effort he could have -that is surely plain to see, no? agree with bowles though, hardy ran a cracking race and showed his quality. i only won £4 on it so hardly life changing but i didnt quite feel i deserved it somehow.

Re: Paul Carberry on Harchibald. Genius or Cnut! Saint, i know only too well how the horse runs and to be honest i was still disappointed by the ride, i agree with Rio that you cant ask a horse too quicken that close to the line, at Cheltenham of all places. I was covered by backing for a place on BF (5/2), thought that was a good bet to cover any losses, but would be a miffed as you in your postion mate. Winner did battle on though.

Re: Paul Carberry on Harchibald. Genius or Cnut! C'est La Vie Boys..... Needed to hav that rant. It's another day today!:clap Rio's comments on Eddery (yes Pat!) were v interesting... A new thread may be appearing soon! I can see yor point concerning Eddery and he was infamous for not riding out for a place but for me, if the money was down - he was the best!! We'll agree to disagree!

Re: Paul Carberry on Harchibald. Genius or Cnut! Harchibald quite clearly should have won and I was not on it. You dont sit there with a double handful and try and win by a short head if the horse does not want to be in front too early. If it was a flat race then the jockey would be fukced and serve a ban i am sure and i think PC should do the same. How much horse did he think he had under him? enough to win on the bridle? in my mind you cant get a horse going with two pushes of the arms in the champion hurdle up the Cheltenham hill, these are quality animals and he was not sat on some invincible.

Re: Paul Carberry on Harchibald. Genius or Cnut! It seems bizarre that Carberry did not pick up the whip, but anyone watching on channel 4 would have heard the commentators like Francome heap the praise on him. From what Ive heard about Harchibald, he can ONLY run on the bridle and will not react at all to the whip except to fall back. The fact that PC picked up the whip at the end was more out of despair that his horse wasnt battling half as hard as hardy eustace. Harchibald is a classy horse, but has no guts

Re: Paul Carberry on Harchibald. Genius or Cnut! Maximus, You are correct in what you say, as I said in my previous post Harchibald may well have folded under the whip, however I would rather have seen more effort & failure than what we got. As to your point about such as Francome praising the jockey when do we hear them have a go, very rare. When they do the positives & negatives do you ever see a negative from the paddock judges or the on course judge saying something went to post badly? The only ones who give negatives are Big Mac & the Female. having said that their still street lengths in front of the brown nosers at the Beeb, Ms Balding excepted. Another day a different result, hats off to the Flyer, Rio.

Re: Paul Carberry on Harchibald. Genius or Cnut!

Harchibald quite clearly should have won and I was not on it. You dont sit there with a double handful and try and win by a short head if the horse does not want to be in front too early. If it was a flat race then the jockey would be fukced and serve a ban i am sure and i think PC should do the same. How much horse did he think he had under him? enough to win on the bridle? in my mind you cant get a horse going with two pushes of the arms in the champion hurdle up the Cheltenham hill' date=' these are quality animals and he was not sat on some invincible.[/quote'] You sum up my thoughts of a lot of sentences to a few - I thank you. If he had got past Hardy and then got beaten fair doo's but until the horse got his head in front the jockey did not ride the horse to it's full capacity - double handful or not. !