Manchester United v Real Sociedad > Wednesday October 23rd

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617]

[TR=class: row0, bgcolor: #F0F0F0] [TD=class: firstColumn]Manchester United v Real Sociedad (19:45 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.49[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]4.5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]7.6[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]102.49 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Manchester United v Real Sociedad > Wednesday October 23rd Man UTD -1 Van Persie and Rooney did very well in their national teams and I'm sure they will continue their run on Man Utd's shirts aswell. Moyes will be looking for a win to boost team's confidence and at the top of all that Real Sociedad has been very poor in recent time. Carlos Vela has been positive addition to their squad but I'm sure Man Utd's defence can deal with him.

Re: Manchester United v Real Sociedad > Wednesday October 23rd This looks like a Utd to win and Goals. We've had a poor run in the league as of late, dropping points at home and losing ground to other top 4s, a win against a fairly average Sociedad is exactly what the doctor's ordered to boost team morale and get some league confidence. The only reason I'm considering goals is the fact that Utd will be going for a win and may leave space at the back to concede. Utd to Win @ 1.55 + Over 2.5 @ 1.80 OR Man Utd/Over 2.5 Goals @ 2.18 (Betfair)

Man UTD -1 Van Persie and Rooney did very well in their national teams and I'm sure they will continue their run on Man Utd's shirts aswell. Moyes will be looking for a win to boost team's confidence and at the top of all that Real Sociedad has been very poor in recent time. Carlos Vela has been positive addition to their squad but I'm sure Man Utd's defence can deal with him.
Could we see a bookmaker please :ok

Re: Manchester United v Real Sociedad > Wednesday October 23rd Im going under 2.5 at 2.06 at unibet in this one. Sociedad will probably try and kill the game off in the early minutes. I did this against southampton with great success, and sociedad is a very defensive team in he CL so far whilst Man united did not show much signs of recovery vs southampton even with van persie back.

Re: Manchester United v Real Sociedad > Wednesday October 23rd 4pts Man Utd (-1AH) to beat Real Sociedad 1.87 Bet365 Although United have struggled in the Premier League they performed well here against Bayer Leverkusen in the opening match in the group and I think they have it in them to go well here too. I think they’ll win the game, the question is by how many. Reading some of the talk from the Sociedad players they could get a bit starstruck so I’ll risk United on the -1 Asian handicap. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/man-utd-vs-real-sociedad-betting-united-can-pick-up-three-valuable-points-at-old-trafford

Re: Manchester United v Real Sociedad > Wednesday October 23rd I think you have to look at domestic form as a strong indicator for projecting champions league performance. United have been poor most of the season. They started with a 1-4 beating of Swansea away, but have then managed just 2 wins in 7 league games. One of those was 2-0 against a Palace team that will be relegated. The other was against Sunderland (with just 1 draw in 8 games), when the game was in the balance. Great, you beat two relegation candidates. Against quality (Man City) they got taken to pieces, and failed in all forms to create anything (Chelsea and Liverpool away). Fergie, with his faults was a genius. Able to make the whole-unit play well above the sum-of-its-parts. Moyes does not have this at the moment. He does not even understand YET which combination of parts to use. As a result, United's soccer is far from free-flowing. They are grinding big time. Confidence is low, and players are unsure of their roles in the team. Last year Crystal Palace, Saints and WBA would have been sent packing. This season's United make WBA and Saints look like world beaters. There is no magic bullet, or wand to wave here. United will continue to struggle. Absolutely no reason to think Sociedad is a walkover. Sociedad come into the game with confidence after beating Valencia 0-2 away last weekend. They are a young team and will give it a full go here. Technically they are a very good team. I think the value is on a Sociedad win at 6.5 to 1 bet365 and will take a double onto the (defensively inept) R Madrid v Juv draw (17/5)

Re: Manchester United v Real Sociedad > Wednesday October 23rd Prior to their 1-2 win against valencia they've been garbage. I'm more inclined to focus on United's CL form rather than domestic as this is the match in question. They havn't exactly been terrible domestically. If Man United are able to beat Leverkusen and nearly defeat shaktar away then i have enough faith in them to take care of sociedad. If not then FML as i've been terribly unlucky of late. I also have a little cover on draw/united if they start poorly. I can't be unlucky again can I?

Re: Manchester United v Real Sociedad > Wednesday October 23rd

Neilovan why the change in appraisal from Real Sociedad's last champions league game to this one ? Because it is a huge backflip by you.
The last game for Sociedad was against Leverkusen away. Leverkusen are a solid champions league team, and are playing well. No disgrace to be third in the Bundesliga behind Bayern and Dortmund. So far this season they have won 4 of 5 at home (drawing 1-1 with Bayern) and have won 3 of 4 away. My feeling then was that Leverkusen would beat Sociedad, and they did. Not that Sociedad are terrible, but Leverkusen at home are a very solid team. This decision is more based on United playing badly. I thought they would spank WBA , they lost. They lumbered over the line against Crystal Palace. Looked clueless as an attacking force against Chelsea (OK Mourinho played 11 defenders) Similar against Liverpool away with barely a shot on goal. Taken to the cleaners by a Man City team. They did OK against Saints, but again had a poor second half. I thought United were outplayed for reasonable parts of the Leverkusen game. They were horrid against Shaktar for the best part of 60 minutes. I think they managed at most 4 passes before losing the ball in that game. Hanging on in the second half with 1 shot on goal in the last 60 minutes is not the way United have played in 10 years. My feeling is that at 1.53 for the home win, United give zero value, while Sociedad beat one of their main rivals for a champions league away last week (1-2 Valencia), giving up a goal in the 93rd minute. Not going to put 10 units on this, but 1 unit at 30 to 1 with R Madrid draw against Juve looks promising....

Re: Manchester United v Real Sociedad > Wednesday October 23rd I agree with Neil here, the odds on United are too short. As a fan I am not happy at the moment! United currently sit 8th in the league, Sociedad are 12th in La Liga, both sides are under-achieving massively. As Neil said, Ferguson was a genius! The main problem for United is the midfield, there is no creativity, everything is slow and laboured whilst also being predictable. You need a couple of flare players in there like an Ozil/Oscar/Cazorla/Silva etc, United don't have one. This means Rooney has to drop back a bit to get on the ball, and with Van Persie not in exactly great form United are struggling for goals. United should beat Sociedad! But we should have beat West Brom and Southampton also.. It is going to take Moyes a lot of time to figure things out, and even when he does I don't think he would be able to get out of the players what Fergie could. Sociedad won't go to Old Trafford to defend that is for sure.. They will have plenty possession and have players like Vela that can hurt you. I won't be betting on the game but I can see no reason at the moment why Sociedad can't nick a draw here.. 1-1 is a possibility or Unders could be a safe bet. But Neil, against Liverpool United had 10 shots on goal and dominated the game after the Liverpool goal, so that is not an accurate comment

But Neil, against Liverpool United had 10 shots on goal and dominated the game after the Liverpool goal, so that is not an accurate comment
Maybe I gave them a bad rap there... Perhaps back-to-back games with no goals made it seem worse than it was. I would love to see a Vidic / Fellani center back pairing with Evra and Smalling. Let Jones play in front of Smalling and rotate him and Fellani as an extra holding midfielder. Free up space for an extra midfielder.... All this nonsense that Zaha is not ready for the Premier league and the BIG time. He will become another Pogba if he does'nt get a chance soon. Oscar at Chelsea looks like a 68kg lightweight, and he's doing just fine. Just am hating this negative conservative mindset from Moyes..... Crazy substitutions (Kagawa off after the 1st half is a slap in the face for a full international). Think of the implications. You are not good enough, I don't trust you spring to mind.... Moyes needs to figure out how to get Rooney and van Persie going. Rooney being right footed would like a strong right hand attacking side, and van Persie would like the ball from the left more. Can strike it before it crosses the body, with the better foot. United are a heavyweight, that should be winning games and scoring goals. More importantly WINNING US BETS . Last year it was money in the bank with this team while this year they are a hand-grenade with the pin out!

I think you have to look at domestic form as a strong indicator for projecting champions league performance. I think the value is on a Sociedad win at 6.5 to 1 bet365 and will take a double onto the (defensively inept) R Madrid v Juv draw (17/5)
The domestic league is indeed an indicator of the current form & fitness, etc, etc, but in the relatively short history of CL we already have hundreds of examples where this indicator is by no means the main one. Take Inter of Mancini for example - dominating Italian football fully for years and the best they managed was one 1/4 in CL, with great players. What next? Jose M got there and made it to the top. Or take Valencia of Rafa Benitez. Got nowhere near the title in Spain, yet made it twice to the CL final...Same with Liverpool winning the CL in Istanbul - at least 3 teams in that season in England were by all standards better than Liverpool. A great Man City selection, with many options and a long bench - still nothing in CL. No need to go any further... Bottomline - domestic league results often send bettors the wrong way because more important indicators take over here, other things and more money are at stake and are by far more relevant in CL - a completely different competition.. The one and only H'cap for Man Utd coming into this game is the fact that Moyes has no experience at this level, and the Manager's experince in CL is more important to me, in Europe games. Most of his players are in CL for ages though... Do Real Sociedad have experience in CL at all? Not since the days they were champions at home, which was in the early 80's (and got knocked out very early). I like Sociedad, but the reason they got into the CL play offs was a bad game by Valencia in the final round last season. True, they got into the group stage in an impressive way, but is this enough to take a point or 3 at Old Trafford? I only saw their game at home to Shakhtar. IMO they did not deserve to lose, players must have felt robbed by the LUCK, but a well-travelled team like the Ukrainians just got the points at the end with 4 or 5 good attacks in 90 minutes. I agree Real Sociedad won't be a walkover, but their confidence from beating Valencia last weekend has nothing to do with tonight's game. That was just the next league game, away to a strong opponent. Tonight is different. They will be out for a tough battle vs a superior United by all standards of CL ( not the Spanish Liga ), in a place which is one of the best grounds to shine in CL. Can they surprise tonight? Yes, they can, I have seen bigger surprises so I am not opposing your bet - if Rubin can beat Barca at Camp Nou, why not? If United few years ago got knocked out in the group stage by Villareal and Lille (can't remember which was the third team in that group, think it was Benfica), why not? But quoting home games in order to convince fellow-punters that Sociedad can deliver tonight is not enough, not to mention that WBA manage to impress vs United more often than it looks in your post... NO BET for me, I agree with Kevshat that a tight start from the guests in this game makes it look very underish. Might get involved in-play at HT. GL to you and all

Re: Manchester United v Real Sociedad > Wednesday October 23rd Before the Bayer Leverkusen game you stated that they had a small squad and were way out of their depth in the champions league and now you want to back them at old Trafford. A 1-1 draw away to Shakthar Donetsk is no mean feat either this is a side that went close to 3 years unbeaten at home and sides like Barcelona couldn't take 3 points away. I urge people betting in this game to separate this from league form because it's a different game all together. Always a faster pace and despite all the hysteria around united at the moment taking them -1 at that price against a side much inferior to the sociedad of last season who will struggle to finish top 10 in la liga is a must for mine. Man United -1 @ $2.59 Man United clean sheet @ $2.44 is also a sound investment imo. Sociedad

Before the Bayer Leverkusen game you stated that they had a small squad and were way out of their depth in the champions league and now you want to back them at old Trafford. A 1-1 draw away to Shakthar Donetsk is no mean feat either this is a side that went close to 3 years unbeaten at home and sides like Barcelona couldn't take 3 points away. I urge people betting in this game to separate this from league form because it's a different game all together. Always a faster pace and despite all the hysteria around united at the moment taking them -1 at that price against a side much inferior to the sociedad of last season who will struggle to finish top 10 in la liga is a must for mine. Man United -1 @ $2.59 Man United clean sheet @ $2.44 is also a sound investment imo. Sociedad
I sincerely hope your right mate, but I couldn't back United to win at the moment never mind minus a goal. Surely better betting opportunities available tonight.. Genuinely hope your right though, I want to see Moyes take a bit of pressure off himself.

Before the Bayer Leverkusen game you stated that they had a small squad and were way out of their depth in the champions league and now you want to back them at old Trafford.
I am not betting the house here, just 1 unit and at 30-1 am prepared to lose it

Re: Manchester United v Real Sociedad > Wednesday October 23rd this is another game where the home team is being undermined and the opponents hyped up. Last night most of the ppl doubted chelsea getting a result at schalke and arsenal beating dortmund with ease given they were in superb form. We all know how that turned out. I am very confident manu gets a result today. they know they have to win home games in order to progress. a fluke win at valencia doesnt turn sociedad into the inform team all of the sudden. In this competition experience gives u that extra edge and manu has heaps of exp in this comp. Add to that the home advantage..a home win seems like the most probable result. Gl :ok

Re: Manchester United v Real Sociedad > Wednesday October 23rd anyone reckon that united players might be more busy reading fergies new book than preparing for this game? Not joking cos heard the book revealed a lot of things that shouldnt be and as such might have affected some players. Maybe I am just throwing darts here (trying to cover every angle)

Re: Manchester United v Real Sociedad > Wednesday October 23rd 5pts Manchester United [-2 Corner handicap] Vs Real Sociedad 2.00 Bet365 For the second day running I'll go with the corner betting here. This season Manchester United at home have an average 6 corners to 3.5. Real Sociedad away from home have an average 2.4 corners to 6 corners. That's quite a big gap in the way the two teams play. I realise here that the game plan may be different to their respective leagues however I do feel that Man United will be the attacking team here and at home this season, although out of form they still have only lost 1 match. Yesterday unfortunately Dortmund got an early goal which meant they did not attack as much to get the corner bet. It ended 2-2. Hopefully no early goals and lots of attack from Man United. Gl

I think you have to look at domestic form as a strong indicator for projecting champions league performance.
I can't disagree more. Of course everything should be put into perspective but I tend to separate Europe and domestic form because they're two very different things. I've seen sides be absolutely terrible in the league yet get the results in Europe, and vice versa.

Re: Manchester United v Real Sociedad > Wednesday October 23rd A lot of people on here have been suggesting that Real Sociedad will come in to this game with a defensive attitude. I can understand a bit of a conservative approach from Real Sociedad, but, I can't expect that they will be backs against the wall all game. Real Sociedad know that they have to start getting results otherwise they can wave goodbye to the Champions League this season with a possibility of only having 1 point, or 0 points out of 9 which clearly leaves them fighting up a hill trying to even stay in Europe for this season. I think the club will see Manchester United as being vulnerable and will look to try to attack early on to get a goal which could help them out. With my expectations that Real Sociedad will start with an open game, even if they then get closed down for the rest of the game, I will back on more goals in the first half than in the second half. I believe that if Real Sociedad can score, they will then try to play out for a 1-0, keeping an eye open to a goal on the break. More goals in the first half is 2/1 at Betfred.

Re: Manchester United v Real Sociedad > Wednesday October 23rd For all the people judging Utd by their performance against WBA and SH, don't forget Utd hit the crossbar twice and conceded last minute against SH, so a bit of luck (as always) could've changed all those results...plus surely Moyes will get a proper grilling if we don't win tonight!

Re: Manchester United v Real Sociedad > Wednesday October 23rd utd win for me,couple facts like,won 2 last 12,fail score more than 1 goal last 12 vs Spanish opposition, 0 clean sheet9 in CL,won 1 last6 CL,once score more 1 goal last 6(vs c. palace,late) so think due those facts goin go utd way,. real socided 1 win 9 that was last game, lost 3 last4 away, once score first last 9, manager and key player (illaramendia) gone from last season. bet utd win. punt 3-0/1

5pts Manchester United [-2 Corner handicap] Vs Real Sociedad 2.00 Bet365 For the second day running I'll go with the corner betting here. This season Manchester United at home have an average 6 corners to 3.5. Real Sociedad away from home have an average 2.4 corners to 6 corners. That's quite a big gap in the way the two teams play. I realise here that the game plan may be different to their respective leagues however I do feel that Man United will be the attacking team here and at home this season, although out of form they still have only lost 1 match. Yesterday unfortunately Dortmund got an early goal which meant they did not attack as much to get the corner bet. It ended 2-2. Hopefully no early goals and lots of attack from Man United. Gl
Christ my luck right now :( 2nd night in a row I lose by 1 corner. 6-4 man united Arghh!