** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

What would you do

Haichan

Well second live tourny of recent time where I was card dead. its day 2 of the Dusk til Dawn Grand Prix. 400 odd left in and blinds at 1500/3000. I'm on 120k. Chip leader 600k. First 2 hours nothing. Table is mainly limping apart from guy to my right who is sat on about 500k. calling with lots of rubbish and hitting. Yet to see him bluff. Finally with around 110k and blinds up to 2500/5000, 500anti. I get 10/10 in early position. Raise 11500 and everyone folds except guy to my right who is in big blind. As usual he calls. Flop is KJ8 rainbow. He checks, I check. turn is another 8. Around 28k in pot. I raise 16k and he immedietly raises to 36k. So I either shove or fold. The problem is he is highly likely to be sat on an 8 or a j. After a lot of thought I fold and he shows 4,2 off. At the break I see the payout structure. I am already guarenteed £250 and the raises in payout are only £50 every 150 players until 30 left. If i had seen that at the time I would probably have shoved on him. I last another 30 mins and then get AK and shove on a mid position raiser who shows QQ which hold up. Out in 283. I still think folding the 10/10's was probably the right move but would welcome any views.

Re: What would you do

Well second live tourny of recent time where I was card dead. its day 2 of the Dusk til Dawn Grand Prix. 400 odd left in and blinds at 1500/3000. I'm on 120k. Chip leader 600k. First 2 hours nothing. Table is mainly limping apart from guy to my right who is sat on about 500k. calling with lots of rubbish and hitting. Yet to see him bluff. Finally with around 110k and blinds up to 2500/5000, 500anti. I get 10/10 in early position. Raise 11500 and everyone folds except guy to my right who is in big blind. As usual he calls. Flop is KJ8 rainbow. He checks, I check. turn is another 8. Around 28k in pot. I raise 16k and he immedietly raises to 36k. So I either shove or fold. The problem is he is highly likely to be sat on an 8 or a j. After a lot of thought I fold and he shows 4,2 off. At the break I see the payout structure. I am already guarenteed £250 and the raises in payout are only £50 every 150 players until 30 left. If i had seen that at the time I would probably have shoved on him. I last another 30 mins and then get AK and shove on a mid position raiser who shows QQ which hold up. Out in 283. I still think folding the 10/10's was probably the right move but would welcome any views.
I think you should not have checked after the flop, it showed potential weakness. Especially when he has the option first and checked.

Re: What would you do I'm a newbie in poker, so pardon me if my views are too simplistic.

Table is mainly limping apart from guy to my right who is sat on about 500k. calling with lots of rubbish and hitting. Yet to see him bluff.
Agree with Aidymac, should have raised after the flop. If he has been calling often with rubbish and hitting, there should be plenty of times he's been calling with rubbish, then folded before showdown?

I'm a newbie in poker, so pardon me if my views are too simplistic. Agree with Aidymac, should have raised after the flop. If he has been calling often with rubbish and hitting, there should be plenty of times he's been calling with rubbish, then folded before showdown?
You'r probably right. Only problem with this guy he had hardly folded and had gone to the river almost every hand he called. It was ununusual for him to reraise so should have guessed he was bluffing

Re: What would you do Defo betting the flop here. However if you choose the line to check the flop you should also check the turn and take a cheap showdown. He might make a bet of around 20k on the river which I would reluctantly call as the way you describe him I think this call would be profitable in the long run.

Defo betting the flop here. However if you choose the line to check the flop you should also check the turn and take a cheap showdown. He might make a bet of around 20k on the river which I would reluctantly call as the way you describe him I think this call would be profitable in the long run.
I think I should have checked the turn as you suggest. He would have almost certainly bet the river which I could have called. Part of the problem was this was the first hand anyone had called me. Played 5 hands before, all raised and nobody called. So let my frustration get to me when trying to represent the 8 on the turn which was a bad move. Not really believable.

Re: What would you do What's with this 'raise 16k' when you're first to bet, it's bet 16k, you didnt raise anything. Sorry, just bugged me. Why did you bet the turn? For value? As a bluff? Ask yourself why you're doing what you're about to do before you do it. Always have a reason for your decision. There is little reason to bet the turn once you've checked the flop (which I dont mind at all) especially with your stack size. You're not getting called by much worse and you've got a lot of showdown value with your hand. Possible thin value bet on the correct rivers gets paid by smaller pairs, ace high etc. 3bet shoving 10s there would have been terrible. I need to start playing live poker again, standard is generally so bad.

You've said it yourself already, strategy is very much structure dependant, I wouldn't be blinding down for 2hours just to win an extra £50 on top of the already banked £250. Would be looking to get chips in in any half good situation to build up a deep runnable stack, so a lot of set mining, limp or min raising suited connectors etc. That said given your scenario I think there are good arguments for both the cbet or delayed cbet and just check-calling or check-folding, opponent specific ofc. Personally favour the immediate cbet given your position & perceived strength having not played many hands, but can honestly see myself playing it several different ways at different times. Unlucky not to go deeper Kev, but ended up in profit and worth a shot at the big money on top :ok

• 3 weeks later...

Defo betting the flop here. However if you choose the line to check the flop you should also check the turn and take a cheap showdown. He might make a bet of around 20k on the river which I would reluctantly call as the way you describe him I think this call would be profitable in the long run.
+1 to this, once you check flop turn is a snap check. You dont fold out a J and dont get a call from 77. 99 is possible but surely he gets it in pre vrs your stack.