smith17's Thread

Re: smith17's Thread Bets: 348 Profitable: 56 S/R: 16% Staked: 355 Returned: 302.46 P/L: -52.54pts 1.25 Kempton: Thunderstorm, 9/1 Paddy Power, win 3.10 Kempton: Al Ferof, 4/1 Betfred, win 3.45 Kempton: Quaddick Lake, 12/1 Paddy Power, win 2.20 Leopardstown: Perfect Smile, 13/2 Paddy Power, win 2.15 Wincanton: Seebright, 9/2 Paddy Power, win

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: smith17's Thread

2.20 Leopardstown: Perfect Smile' date=' 13/2 Paddy Power, win[/quote'] Perfect Smile ran well lto in a similar strength race at Fairyhouse. He has been put up two pounds sisnce but I don't think that will be enough to stop PS from running another big race. The ground and distance will suit. Trainer Noel Meade is in good form and Paul Carberry is a huge plus in the saddle. Seebright has won his last three races. Lto he won on his seasonal reappearance when he carried top weight to victory at Fontwell. He should come on a bit for that run nand although he steps up in class I expect him to go close. He will love the ground and the trip will suit.

3.10 Kempton: Al Ferof' date=' 4/1 Betfred, win[/quote'] Al Ferof easily won a two horse grade 2 lto, beating French Opera by 8L without his jockey having to do much. FO has since finished a close second in a strong handicap at Cheltenham off top weight. He steps up in trip to 3m for the first time on a racecourse but he won a point to point at the start of his racing career. He also finished strongly over 21f at Cheltenham so 3m here shouldn't be a problem. Trainer Paul Nicholls is in great form. Daryl Jacob chooses to ride Al Ferof over Silviniaco Conti which is a big plus.

1.55 Cheltenham: Whispering Gallery' date= 7/2 BetVictor, win
Whispering Gallery has won both his races over hurdles in great style. His jumping has been impressive bar two or three slight mistakes. The ground shouldn't be a problem for him. He steps up in trip to 3m today but he should see it out with ease. Trainer John Ferguson is in good form and Barry Geraghty is a big plus in the saddle.
1.25 Southwell: Magika' date= 4/1 BetVictor, win
Magika has won her last two races. Lto she won by 1½L over 12f at Wolverhampton. She won with a bit in hand that day so the seven pound rise in the weights might not be enough to stop her going in again today. This is her first time encountering fibresand but if she takes to it I expect her to go close. Trainer Marco Botti is in good form and this is his only runner of the day. Robert Tart, who has been amongst the winners in recent days, takes off a valuable three pounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: smith17's Thread Bets: 356 Profitable: 56 S/R: 16% Staked: 363 Returned: 302.46 P/L: -60.54pts 13.35 Kempton: The Liquidator, 5/2 Boylesports, win 14.40 Kempton: River Maigue, 13/2 BetVictor, win 13.55 Warwick: Sew On Target, 4/1 Paddy Power, win 15.00 Warwick: Deputy Dan, 4/1 Betfred, win 15.35 Warwick: Vesper Bell, 15/2 BetVictor, win

Re: smith17's Thread Bets: 361 Profitable: 57 S/R: 16% Staked: 368 Returned: 307.46 P/L: -60.54pts I'm going to reset the totals as the above is slightly depressing to look at every time I open my thread. I will include the above in my overall thread updates but for now everything goes back to zero. -------------------------------------------------------- Bets: 0 Profitable: 0 S/R: - Staked: 0 Returned: 0 P/L: 0 2.30 Meydan: Cat O'Mountain, 11/4 Betvictor, win Cat O'Mountain has won all four starts on all weather surfaces. This is his first run since September but his yard is in good form and he should be ready for this. The trip is perfect, having won his last two starts over today's distance. Trainer Charlie Appleby had two wins and two places form five runners here last week. Mikael Barzalona has won on this horse three times from four rides. 3.05 Meydan: Wedding Ring, 9/4 Bet365, win Wedding Ring won her last two starts. Two runs ago, she won the £100,000 Tattersall's Millions auction race at Newmarket, finishing a neck ahead of the re-opposing Oxsana. She followed that up by winning the £300,000 Tattersall's Millions Fillies' Trophy over today's trip at Newmarket. Oxsana was over 2L behind that day. This is her first run on an a/w surface but her sire stats would suggest it will suit. She is out of the same dam as Golden Causeway who won at Kempton on her seasonal reappearance as a 3yo. 3.40 Meydan: Emirates Flyer, 7/2 Bet365, win Emirates Flyer was just beaten lto in the Listed 2yo Trophy at Redcar. I think he was sent to the lead a bit too soon by Silvestre De Sousa and was caught close home by Ventura Mist, who was carrying nine pounds less. Before that, he finished 2L behind Kingman. This is his first run on Tepeta but if he takes to it I expect him to go close. Trainer Saeed Bin Suroor had a winner here last week and SDS is in the saddle. 4.15 Meydan: Dabadiyan, 9/1 Ladbrokes, win Dabadiyan was very impressive in his only run in handicap company back in Ireland. He won over 12f at the Curragh back in June. He won easily by 3½L from Curley Bill, who won the Guinness Handicap, a premier handicap at the Galway Festival, nto off a five pound higher mark. He won his next race as well before failing to give five pounds to Afonso Da Silva at Dundalk, losing by 1½L. The ground and trip will suit and if Mick Halford has him ready, I think he will run a big race at a nice price. 4.50 Meydan: United Color, 6/1 Paddy Power, win Cracking little race in prospect here with the first three and fifth and sixth from last years Golden Shaheen all lining up. I've gone for United Color who finished fifth in that race. He was given too much to do by his jockey in my opinion and was still closing at the finish. He was impressive in his run before that race, winning a handicap over c&d in good style. If he improves on his form from last year he should go close. He has had a recent run, beaten a ¼L at Jebel Ali, to put him in perfect condition for today. James Doyle is a big plus in the saddle. 5.25 Meydan: Validus, 11/2 BetVictor, win Validus is having his first run for Saeed Bin Suroor today. He has won twice on the a/w at Kempton so today's ground should suit. He was beaten just ½L lto by Mabait in a good handicap at Newmarket. The ground and trip will suit Silvestre De Sousa is in the saddle.

Re: smith17's Thread 1.15 Ascot: Ballinvarrig, 4/1 BetVictor, win Ballinvarrig won lto at Exeter. He was 2L behind at the last but he finished well to win by 1½L He has been put up five pounds for that win but I think there is still more improvement to come and he should go close. The ground won't be a problem and the trip is ideal. Paddy Brennan is in the saddle. 2.25 Ascot: The Skyfarmer, 5/1 BetVictor, win The Skyfarmer has won his last four races. He made his handicap debut lto and won very impressively by 4L with a further 27L back to third. He has gone up seventeen pounds for that win but I don't think that is enough to stop him going close today. He has placed both times he has encountered soft ground. He is closely related to Radhjani Express who has won on heavy ground and he sire's stats suggest it won't be a problem. Trainer Philip Hobbs is in cracking form and Richard Johnson is in the saddle. 3.00 Ascot: Bury Parade, 8/1 William Hill, win Bury Parade refused to race lto. He will be wearing a hood today and with Noel Fehily on board I'm hopeful that there won't be any problems. The trip will suit and he will absolutely love the ground. He is three pounds higher than his only handicap chase when he was beaten a nose by Saved By John, who was carrying a stone less. If he doesn't throw a strop pre-race and with conditions in his favour, he should run a big race. 2.05 Haydock: Stand To Reason, 9/2 Bet365, win Stand To Reason is two from two over hurdles. Lto he won on heavy ground over ½f further than today's trip. He tracked the leaders throughout until he joined the favourite before the last. The fave fell but I'm confident that STR would have won anyway. He was a decent performer on the flat, placing in a Heritage Handicap at York and being rated as high as 95. Trainer Nicky Henderson is in great form and the top class Barry Geraghty is in the saddle.

Re: smith17's Thread 2.30 Meydan: Masamah, 8/1 Paddy Power, win Masamah finished a ¼L second lto in a conditions race at Wolverhampton on St. Stephens Day. That was his first run since October and it should put him right for today. This is his first time running on tapeta but he has run on polytrack three times, winning once and placing twice so it should suit. His last win was in a strong handicap at Ascot in July. Trainer Marco Botti has had one runner at Meydan this year which placed last week. He has been in great form in the UK. Martin Harley is in the saddle. 3.40 Meydan: Solar Deity, 7/1 Paddy Power, win Solar Deity finished second lto at Wolverhampton, beaten a head. He was prominent but dropped back with ½m to go. Despite not having the clearest of passages through, he still only just failed. That was nearly six weeks ago but if he is still in that sort of form then he should go close. He has won 6 times and placed twice from 13 runs on a/w surfaces so today's surface should suit. The trip is ideal and he should go well. 4.15 Meydan: Zip Top, 5/1 William Hill, win Zip Top hasn't been seen since finishing second to Camelot in the Group 1 Racing Post Trophy in 2011. This will take a great training performance from the very much in-form Charlie Appleby but I think if he is anywhere near 100% he could be a cut above this opposition, with Windhoek and Daddy Long Legs the only two I fear. Mikael Barzalona is in the saddle. 4.50 Meydan: Mshawish, 7/1 Paddy Power, win Mshawish finished fourth in the St. James' Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot, finishing 4L behind Dawn Approach. He was held up until he made good progress to get to the lead over a furlong out. He was passed by Toronado and Dawn Approach inside the final furlong and Mars close home but it was a great performance in a very strong race. He followed that up with a win in a listed race at Deauville. He was then a bit disappointing lto in a group 2 at Longchamp on Arc day. He hasn't been seen since but he won fto in 2013 so running fresh shouldn't be a problem. Trainer Mikel Delzangles has just one runner today and Frankie Dettori is in the saddle fresh off the back of his comeback double at Lingfield.

Re: smith17's Thread No luck yesterday. Bets: 14 Profitable: 6 S/R: 43% Staked: 14pts Returned: 31.3pts P/L: +17.3pts I was given vouchers for Paddy Powers at Christmas which equate to 4pts which I'm going to use on a couple of ante-post Cheltenham bets. RSA Chase: Don Cossack, 14/1 Paddy Power, 2pts win I'm a big fan of this horse, although I've never actually backed it. He promised so much in his earlier hurdling career but never really lived up to his potential over the smaller obstacles. He has come back into his own now since he started chasing. He won his first race over fences at Galway in comfortable fashion, jumping quite well and winning by 20L from a nto grade 3 winner. That was over 22f. He then went to Punchestown where he was beaten ½L by Morning Assembly in a grade 2 over 22f. He followed that up with a battling 1¾L win over Carlingford Lough in a grade 1 at Fairyhouse. Although he jumped slightly left at times, he was quick and efficient for the most part. Carlingford Lough won a grade 1 nto, beating Morning Assembly in the process. DC's next run will be in the grade 1 Moriarty at Leopardstown on February 9th. That race is over 21f. He is not a definite runner in the RSA Chase but with Champagne Fever stepping back up in trip on Saturday and possibly running in the JLT, I think the RSA Chase is Don Cossack's best chance of Cheltenham glory this season. He should get the trip no problem and the ground, as long as it doesn't get too quick, is likely too suit. He will also have the benefit of having Bryan Cooper on board who had a cracking time at the Festival last year. Champion Hurdle: The New One, 7/2 World Hurdle: Annie Power, 7/2 Albert Bartlett: Kings Palace, 4/1 0.5pt Trixie (2pts), Paddy Power The New One has won four times from six runs at Cheltenham. I think he would have beaten My Tent Or Yours last time had he not fluffed the last hurdle. He is sure to get a good gallop to run off with a pacemaker likely to run as well. It's not gauranteed that Annie Power will run in this race but Willie Mullins has Hurricane Fly and Un De Sceaux for the Champion Hurdle and Quevega for the Mares Hurdles which would leave the World Hurdle for Annie Power. Three miles shouldn't be a problem for her. Ruby Walsh knows Big Bucks better than anyone so he will know exactly how to beat him. Kings Palace was extremely impressive winning a grade 2 lto over the Albert Bartlett c&d. He is versatile ground wise and he is two from two at Cheltenham.

Re: smith17's Thread Bets: 18 Profitable: 6 S/R: 33% Staked: 18pts Returned: 31.3pts P/L: +13.3pts 3.15 Meydan: Eastern Rules, 6/1 Bet365, win Eastern Rules finished third lto, beaten 1L. That was his first run since August and he should come on a bit for that run. That was his first run on tepeta surface and he should improve for the experience. He has won on Dundalk's a/w three times from six runs there. Trainer is in decent form and he should go close. 4.25 Meydan: Wedding Ring, 5/1 Bet365, win Wedding Ring won the trial for this in good style lto. She steps up in trip to a mile for the first time today but she should see it out. That was her first run on an a/w surface and her first run since October so she should improve for that outing. 5.05 Meydan: Certerach, 11/2 Paddy Power, win Certerach won with a bit to spare lto in a handicap over 1½m. He has only been put up three pounds and the way he won suggests that won't be enough to stop him going in again today. He steps back up in trip by 2f which should suit. His main threat in my opinion is Star Empire. C finished ½L behind SE last year over c&d but is four pounds better off today and comes into this race in better form. 5.40 Meydan: African Story, 4/1 Paddy Power, win African Story is having his first run since the World Cup last March. He is four from four first time out so that shouldn't be a problem. He has won four of his six runs on tepeta and the distance is ok. Trainer Saeed bin Suroor is in good form and SDS is a positive in the saddle.

Re: smith17's Thread Eastern Rules wins for a profit today. African Story was the best horse in his race and should have won but was given way too much to do which was disappointing. Bets: 23 Profitable: 7 S/R: 30% Staked: 23pts Returned: 38.3pts P/L: +15.3pts

Re: smith17's Thread 3.50 Meydan: Dragon Falls, 8/1 Paddy Power, win Dragon Falls finished sixth lto in his first run since August in a similar strength race to today's. He finished less than 3L behind the winner and it was a decent first run for his new trainer, Charlie Appleby. He should come on a lot for that run and I expect him to go close today. 4.25 Meydan: Hototo, 15/2 BetVictor, win Hototo was beaten just ½L by the re-opposing Ahtoug lto over c&d. He is two pounds better off today and should reverse that piece of form. That was his first race since February last year and he should come on a bit for that run. His trainer had a winner here last Saturday and Luke Morris is a plus in the saddle, having ridden him well on his last two starts. 5.00 Meydan: Alexandra Palace, 7/1 Bet365, win Alexandra Palace won in good style lto in his first start on tepeta. He has only been raised three pounds for that win and he has a good chance of following that up. That was his first start since finishing down the field in a Group 1 in South Africa last March. He steps up in trip by 2f which should suit. He won over 9f in a listed race in South Africa when he finished well.

2.55 Doncaster: Prince Of Dreams' date= 9/1 Bet365, win
Prince Of Dreams' last three runs have been off today's mark. He has run well in all three and he should be dangerous today. If he can put in a clean round of jumping he should run well and I think he will go close today. The ground will suit and the trip is ideal. Joshua Moore is in the saddle.

3.05 Kelso: Mister Nibbles' date= 11/2 Paddy Power, win
Mister Nibbles won a a 17-runner maiden at Leopardstown lto. He finished ½L ahead of Champagne James, who won easily nto. Before that, MN finished second in a couple of maidens when he finished behind a couple of decent sorts. Trainer S Crawford has a good record when sending horses to the UK. Today's jockey was on board two runs ago and got a decent tune out of him that day.

3.30 Doncaster: Mon Parrain' date= 14/1 Bet365, e/w
Mon Parrain was pulled up in his first run since March 2012 back in November. He has had a small wind op since and with a tongue tie applied for the first time he could improve quite a bit. He finished second in the Topham Chase at Aintree back in 2011 off a five pound higher mark so looks well handicapped today. The Grand National is the aim but he must put in a good run today to go to Aintree. The ground and trip will suit. Trainer Paul Nicholls is in good form and he has a decent record at Doncaster. Daryl Jacob is in the saddle.

Re: smith17's Thread 1.30 Cheltenham: Vautour, 7/2 Boylesports, win Vautour is unbeaten in three runs since moving to Ireland from France and joining Willie Mullins' stable. First up, he won a 30-runner maiden at Navan. He was just behind the leaders and made good progress after 4 out while still firmly on the bridle. He got to the lead before the last and was gently pushed out to win comfortably by 5½L from Lieutenant Colonel, who won very easily nto and is entered in the Neptune tomorrow. Vautour then went to Punchestown where he won a grade 2, with the re-opposing Western Boy in second. He went to the lead before the last. He was headed after it but he showed a great attitude to battle back and win by ¾L. Lto, he won the Grade 1 Deloitte Hurdle at Leopardstown, the same race that Champagne Fever won before winning this race last year. He put in a great performance beating dual Grade 1 winner The Tullow Tank by 3L with a further 12L back to third place. His jumping has been impeccable to date and, as this is sure to be run at a good pace, his proven stamina is a big plus. The ground should be ideal. Ruby Walsh chooses to ride him over Wicklow Brave which is a tip in itself. 2.05 Cheltenham: Dodging Bullets, 6/1 Paddy Power, win Dodging Bullets has won three of his four runs over fences. His first chase race was back in October when he won a 5-runner beginners chase at Kempton. His jumping was pretty good for his first start over the bigger obstacles. He then ran in a Grade 2 over today's c&d which he won in great style by 5L. Ted Veale was 8½L back in third. He ran in another Grade 2 back at Kempton which he won with ease. He went to the lead after four out and, under a hands and heels ride he won by 10L from the re-opposing Grandeout. Lto he finished a ¼L second behind Module at Newbury. The ground was way too soft for him that day and it was a cracking run considering. His jumping has been near perfect so far and he should run a big race. He has won 3 of his 5 runs at Cheltenham. The ground will be perfect for him. Daryl Jacob has been on board for all of DB's chase runs. He has been in great form leading up to the festival, with 7 winners and 7 places from 20 rides over the last two weeks. 2.40 Cheltenham: Tour Des Champs, 16/1 Paddy Power, e/w Tour Des Champs finished a good third at Kempton lto in a Grade 3 handicap. He was clear for most of the race until he was headed three out. He kept on well but he couldn't get back in front and finished 2¾L behind the winner. He has stamina in abundance so the return to a testing track will definitely suit. He finished eight in this race last year off a ten pound higher mark. He ran a cracker over c&d back in November when he finished second to Balthazar King. The ground will suit. Trainer Nigel Twiston Davies is in decent form and he has a solid record at Cheltenham. His son Sam is in the saddle. 3.20 Cheltenham: The New One, 3/1 Paddy Power, win The New One was beaten by the re-opposing My Tent Or Yours lto. He would have beaten him in my opinion if he had not fluffed the last hurdle. He had been nothing but impressive in his two runs this season. He beat former Champion Hurdler Rock On Ruby by 10L in a listed race at Kempton in October. He then beat Zarkandar by 6L at today's track. He has won four times from six runs at Cheltenham. The ground is ideal. Trainer Nigel Twiston Davies is in decent form and he has a solid record at Cheltenham. His son Sam, who has been on board for all of TNO's runs, is in the saddle. 4.00 Cheltenham: Down Ace, 20/1 Paddy Power, e/w 4.40 Cheltenham: Shotgun Paddy, 5/1 Boylesports, win 5.15 Cheltenham: Art Of Logistics, 8/1 Bet365, win 1.30 Cheltenham: Western Boy 2.40 Cheltenham: Vintage Star 4.40 Cheltenham: Shotgun Paddy 5.15 Cheltenham: Ohio Gold Lucky 15, 0.05pt e/w (1.5pts staked) Western Boy finished ¾L behind Vautour lto in just his second run over hurdles. He was very impressive in his first start when he won his maiden, beating a few decent horses in the process. His jumping has been very good and his price looks a bit big. Vintage Star finished a 1½L second in a Grade 2 handicap at Haydock lto. He has had a bit of a break since then to freshen him up and he should run a big race today. Shotgun Paddy won impressively lto over 3f short of today's trip, which he should see out with ease. Top Irish amatuer jockey Derek O'Connor is booked to ride and a big run is expected. Ohio Gold finished third in this race last year off a two pound higher mark. He is yet to win over fences but he has placed 5 times from 9 runs. With more experience this year he should be in the mix again.

4.00 Cheltenham: Down Ace' date= 20/1 Paddy Power, e/w
Down Ace has won all five of her races under rules, including three hurdles races. Her first run this season was back in November when she won her maiden hurdle by a comfortable 1¼L. Plenty of nto and subsequent winners have come from that race and it was a great first run. She then went to Lingfield where she won a 5-runner novice hurdle. She made all and was visually very impressive. Lto she won a Listed race at Taunton. She showed a great attitude to battle ahead in the last ½f and stay ahead to win by a neck from Blue Buttons. That was back in late December and the break should freshen her up and she should go well. Her jumping has been very good so far and she should outrun her price at the very least. She won a flat race over 17f at Cheltenham. She steps up in trip to 2½ miles but she has won a point to point in the past and she should see it out. The better ground today should see her improve a bit more. Trainer Fergal O'Brien has a good record at Cheltenham for an operation of his size. He is also in decent form which bodes well for his only runner of the day. Denis O'Regan is in the saddle.
4.40 Cheltenham: Shotgun Paddy' date= 5/1 Boylesports, win
Shotgun Paddy won the 29f Betfred Classic Chase at Warwick lto. He was held up and made good progress to get to the lead before the second last. He stayed on well while just being pushed out and the extra 3f today shouldn't be a problem. That was his first attempt at a marathon trip and he could improve a bit for the experience. This is just his fourth chase and there should be more to come. His jumping so far has been pretty good with one or two mistakes. The ground will be ok for him. Trainer Emma Lavelle has a decent record at Cheltenham and is in decent form. Top Irish amateur Derek O'Connor is booked which is a massive plus in a race like this.
5.15 Cheltenham: Art Of Logistics' date= 8/1 Bet365, win
Art Of Logistics last two runs have been in Grade 1 company. He was outclassed in both races but his previous form over fences meant he deserved to take his chance. His only other two runs over the bigger obstacles both came earlier in the season. He won a strong beginners chase at Gowran Park in October by 1¼L from Balnaslow with another 4½L back to Golanbrook. He jumped superbly that day. He then went to Punchestown where he won a Grade 3 novice chase which he won in great style, beating Six Stone Ned by a comfortable 5½L. Again, his jumping was near perfect and he traveled like a dream. His next two runs in Grade 1 company were quite good, with his jumping keeping him in it until the better animals pressed on. His last run was on Boxing Day and the break should hopefully freshen him up for today and a big run is expected. Trainer Dessie Hughes is in decent form and Bryan Cooper, who had a great time at the festival last year, is in the saddle.

Re: smith17's Thread Vautour got the day off to a great start but it went a bit pear shaped after that. I'm gutted about The New One, he would have been bang there if he wasn't hampered so badly. And if Shotgun Paddy had jumped better I reckon he would have won as well. Tour Des Champs and Dodging Bullets both ran well while Down Ace and Art Of Logistics never got involved. In my lucky 15, Western Boy ran well but couldn't quite get involved while Vintage Star fell and Ohio Gold was pulled up. It returned 0.09pts. Bets: 53 Profitable: 11 S/R: 21% Staked: 53.5pts Returned: 53.64pts P/L: +0.14pts