** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Racing For Rupert

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 2.05 Newmarket - 2pts win Whispering Warrior @ 7/1 (Sportingbet) This may be a different test to the all-weather races that he's been running over lately but looks generally progressive and has done well since joining his current yard after three maidens. He ran well in a hot maiden when last seen on turf so he can handle the surface and was staying on in a race where it benefited horses to be on the pace. Has been staying on to assert over a mile on the polytrack so the extra furlong is no issue here I don't think and can continue on an upward curve. 2.35 Newmarket - 2pts win Pearl Secret @ 11/2 (Bet365) Jamie Spencer opts to side with this one of the consistent Spirit Quartz which says a lot and I think he has a huge chance as he's unexposed and ran some fine races last season. He was only beaten once, which came on his final start in the Nunthorpe. He was not ideally positioned on the track and didn't have the clearest of passages and he should have learned from that experience in a hot race. Won easily, albeit in a weak maiden on his return last season and if ready to go should go close today. 4.25 Newmarket - 1pt win Secret Missile @ 12/1 (Bet365) Looks too big a gap between this one and Fils Anges in the betting considering their runs at Nottingham a couple of starts back when both running on well at the finish over 5f and the return to 6f will suit both. My selection ran over 5f again at Sandown last time but was drawn out in the car park at a track where low draws are often critical in sprints but ran a solid race despite being very wide and looking like he was struggling to go the pace at times. The return to 6f here will suit and doesn't look handicapped out of this from the bottom of the weights. 4.35 Thirsk - 2pts win Norse Blues @ 8/1 (VC) Has joined a good yard in David Barron and can understandably be forgiven his reappearance run when probably just needing it (weakening into midfield late on). Is only 2lbs higher in the weights than when winning the Spring Mile in 2012 and has run some good races since. He enjoys a sound surface and a flat track and the easier trip than the 9f which just seemed to stretch him at Newmarket at the back-end of last season will suit. Has edged slightly down the weights and his new yard can improve one so with that reappearance effort under his belt, should go well today.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 2.05 Newmarket - 1pt win Apache @ 16/1 (VC) Jane Chapple-Hyam's runner really catches the eye here at a nice price as he's joined the yard from Aidan O'Brien - for whom he showed plenty of useful form back in 2011. Unfortunately didn't see the racetrack in 2012 but shaped as if he hadn't lost his ability on his recent return at Lingfield. He travelled well and held every chance up the straight but just backed out of things. The race was good (won by Universal who has franked the form nicely) and he's sure to come on plenty for that and we just have to hope he doesn't 'bounce'. Back in 2011 he was a very good 3rd over 1m6f at York in a very hot handicap off 5lbs higher when travelling well but just not getting home. On that evidence the drop back to 1m4f is very much in his favour and he also gets his ideal quick surface. If this race came off the back of that run he'd be much shorter than 16/1 and although substantial time has passed since then, he shaped very well last time and looks capable of getting involved - especially as he's one of few horses here to have had a recent run. 3.10 Newmarket - 1pt win Hitchens @ 15/2 (VC) Posted this before his latest run:

3.30 Doncaster - 1pt win Hitchens @ 16/1 (VC) David Barron's runner isn't exactly being well punted today but at 16/1 can't be left alone as he has plenty of class and runs off what may prove to be a fair mark. Last season he ran well in plenty of group and listed races including a victory at the latter level at Newbury. He was running pretty well in Meydan a few weeks ago before returning to this c&d for his first run of the turf campaign on these shores. He was beaten less than 3l by Jack Dexter but the ground was soft which is far from ideal. He loves to hear his hooves rattle so the sound surface here will suit much better. Is drawn in the middle which is probably a good thing and he's got the touch of class that can see him go very close.
Ran right up to form that day to be 3rd in a good race. He travelled powerfully with Graham Gibbons having to take a pull on him with a couple of furlongs to race so I was confident he was going to deliver a stern challenge but ultimately he just couldn't quite reach the front pair. Wasn't beaten far at all, though, and today's ground looks set to be even quicker which will suit again. Richard Hughes is an obvious plus jumping into the saddle for a yard where he's 2-9 and looks an ideal rider for this horse. Ought to go close once more. 3.50 Newmarket - 2pts win What A Name @ 5/1 (VC) Quite a few in with chances here, which is quite a contrast with the 2000 Guineas betting but I'm really keen on the French raider here who looks to hold every chance of taking the price back over the channel - as it has been done a couple of times in recent years. She has done nothing wrong in her five career starts and the fact she's seen the track that amount of times has to be a plus over the inexperienced yet talented Hot Snap. She looks uncomplicated and knows what she's doing and I'd be surprised if she didn't run her race. I'm quietly confident that will be enough to take this race, however, as she has some top form also. She hacked up by seven lengths on the back of her promising debut and then was a nice winner of a Group 3 - taking on the colts - and again traded blows with the boys in a Group 1 event won by leading Irish 2000 Guineas fancy Olympic Glory. That one got first run on the heavy ground that day but the filly kept going well for 2nd and it's possible she'll be better on a sound surface. That piece of form alone gives her a fine chance back amongst her own sex and there was plenty to like about her prep run for the classic tomorrow. They went a farcical gallop and she was caught short of room when they dashed for home yet she still managed to get clear and pick up well to get a neck ahead at the line to win a shade cosily. Is much better than the bare result there and now should be spot on for this. She's 2-2 on ground described as good so I'm not concerned about the quick surface and she holds every chance here. 5.35 Newmarket - 3pts win Soviet Rock @ 3/1 (Ladbrokes) Very sweet on the chances of Andrew Balding's progressive gelding here who looks capable of defying a 9lb rise in the weights I think. There are a few in with form chances here but High Troja will find this much trickier than its Leicester success and Carry on Sydney should run well but doesn't look to have the potential progression of my selection. He was beaten 50 lengths on debut when having no idea what he was meant to be doing but naturally improved on that to be beaten 4 3/4l by leading Derby fancy Telescope on his next start over a mile. He got outpaced that day but plugged on as if a stiffer test or a more positive ride would be more suitable. He was made more use of next time on heavy ground at York when leading before rallying once headed to win a decent if not spectacular maiden. Looked like 1m2f would be ideal on that evidence and his recent reappearance proved he'd more than trained on when a taking winner over this c&d. He was given an enterprising ride by David Probert but the runner-up had the chance to go past him but my selection battled on well with the front three clear. The 2nd and 3rd look nice types with the 3rd running well off 3lbs higher next time out so I think that form is solid. With that run under his belt, his fitness should be better here for a yard whose runners often need a run and although he's 9lbs higher I think there's more to come and that was a hot race that he won here. There's no other guaranteed front-runner in the field so he shouldn't be compromised by being on the front-end. Represents a yard in very good form and who tend to thrive with 3yos. Big chance of taking another step forward.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert Soviet Rock saves the day by making all in the last. Apache ran well and is one to keep an eye on as he went off a yard too quick in front but was there for a long way and has races in him. Hitchens and What A Name ran pretty flat races really which is disappointing. Oh well - a good weekend ultimately!

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 2.05 Warwick - 1pt win Master of Song @ 16/1 (Bet365) The form figures of Roy Bowring's charge hardly whet the appetite but he still makes some appeal to me despite being beaten over 10 lengths on his last four visits to a racecourse. He won a year ago at Leicester off 1lb lower than today and a good pace over this mile on good ground will suit him. There do look 2 or 3 pace angles in here which hopefully will ensure a good gallop and that can help my selection finish to good effect. He hasn't raced since January but his record when fresh reads 2316 (at least three months off track) with the win coming in the aforementioned contest last May. Although he disappointed thereafter, the yard were having a poor time of it. Bowring's horses were 2-60 from June until December so it perhaps was no great surprise but he returns here with the stable enjoying a much better time of it. They've racked up 12 winners from 50 starts since the turn of the year and it's a big and interesting jockey booking to have acquired the guidance of the excellent Robert Tart for this apprentice handicap. Not one to get carried away with but three positives come with the freshness of the horse, the form of the yard and the jockey booking so a price of 16/1 appeals.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 3.30 Windsor - 1pt win Deepest Blue @ 18/1 (Sportingbet) 18/1 looks a pretty outrageous price to me about a consistent horse who should give his running this afternoon. There are a few open to more improvement to him but conditions suit and I would not be at all surprised to see him go close. He usually gives his running and went pretty well on a few occasions for Jamie Osbourne last season - including a length 2nd here over 6f in a maiden (winner a 76 horse). He regularly shaped like 5f on a quick surface would suit (speedy pedigree - dam's only win in short career came under those conditions). He moved to Declan Carroll's yard over the winter and ran a satisfactory race in a Doncaster maiden on his seasonal return prior to only being beaten 1 1/2l in a 5f Ripon handicap last time out off 2lbs higher. 7lb claimer jumps on board today to ease the burden even further and the times that day suggested the going wasn't on the quick side of good. It should be today which will help and at the prices he's well worth a small investment.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 4.10 Warwick - 2pts win Mazaaher @ 13/2 (Sportingbet) Posted this as a horse to follow:

Not talking about anything really special here but this is a colt who has had the three runs required to obtain a handicap mark and he can enter that sphere off 67 now which looks more than fair given what he's shown so far and with the potential to do better. It's obviously a bit of a punt with a horse who has only had three career starts and returning for a second season but Tregoning has a much better record with 3 year olds than 2 year olds so that's less of a concern and I'm hopeful this one will have trained on nicely. He made his debut over 7f on heavy ground at Yarmouth but his pedigree largely suggests a sounder surface is more ideal. Twice ran on the all-weather subsequently but had things far from go his way there. Was slowly away from wide draws on both occasions. The race over a mile at Lingfield was run at a steady pace where he took a hold and then they turned it into a sprint from the front and it didn't suit. He was forced extremely wide and kept on under a tender ride but had no hope given his track positioning through the contest. Ran with plenty of credit back over 7f at Kempton on his final start when making eyecatching headway up the straight before finding a door or two slammed in his face. Wasn't given a hard time afterwards (eased final strides) and although he probably wouldn't have won or anything, would have been plenty closer with a clear run. The form of his maidens look pretty solid and although his pedigree gives mixed messages with regards to a trip, a soundly-run mile is probably about right for the time being (can race enthusiastically). Never really got the chance to race more prominently in maidens due to slow starts/wide draws so that's another possible angle for improvement and I just feel he could be a handicapper to follow this season for Sheikh Hamdan Al Maktoum.
Has moved to John Hills since I wrote that and I found it surprising to see him entered into a maiden now he's got a handicap mark of 67 but that suggests to me that he's been showing good signs at home which isn't all that surprising considering he looked a potential improver in maidens last year. Has also been supported in the market today which is another big plus and the step back up to a mile is obviously ideal. Was slowly away last season so I'm hoping they'll have sharpened him up over the winter as ideally I think a more prominent sit would suit him better than having to come from off the pace. I'll be especially optimistic if they can do that but essentially this looks a winnable maiden for all he's only rated 67 with the front two in the market both having duck eggs next to their name on their only career starts.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 5.30 Beverley - 1pt win Hayek @ 16/1 (VC) Tim Easterby's runner is another who looks overpriced to me as conditions are ideal and he's off a fair mark. Hasn't been at the peak of his game on two starts this summer but at the same time hasn't been disgraced at Pontefract. Was midfield first time up and perhaps the race last time can a bit soon after. Still, that was in a decent 0-85 race on a track that doesn't suit all horses so is worth another go here dropped into a race where the top-weight runs off 73. He's a couple of pounds lower with 7lb claimer Rachel Richardson (won on him before) on his back and it's not rare for him to need a couple of runs to reach peak fitness in a season. He's been 1st and 2nd on his third run back in the past two seasons respectively. The yard had three winners in a row a few days ago so there are no worries there and Thrust Control should ensure there's some pace in the race. Can go well at a price.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert Going to go get a hangover breakfast so shortish posts I'd imagine. Kept my powder dry yesterday but bets today at Chester. 1.45 Chester - 3pts win Eshtibaak @ 11/2 (Bet365) Been waiting for this horse to return to action following a promising reappearance in the Lincoln at Doncaster last month. I really fancied him that day as a potential group horse in a handicap and although he flattered to deceive ultimately, there was plenty to like about his effort. He travelled into the race like a potential winner but didn't pick up quite as expected and ended up beaten 4 lengths. It just looked like he was in need of the outing for a yard whose horses were tending to do so at the time but they're flying now and this one certainly has handicaps in him off this mark. Was very unlucky on his final start of last year in July when finishing full of running but had no passage and now with the run under his belt on his reappearance he can prove tough to beat back up in trip whilst not lacking the pace to handle the track. 2.15 Chester - 3pts win Gabrial @ 11/4 (Bet365) Richard Fahey's runner is a nutcase without a shadow of a doubt but has bundles of ability and looks more than capable of landing this race. From two runs at this unique venue have resulted in a win and a close second and it's probable that the course helps to minimise the potential carnage that he can create. So long as he handles the bends okay - which he seems to - then what he does up the straight may be immaterial. He has a tendency to hang but the tight nature of the track means he can't hang for miles and miles which is an obvious plus should he bring out his party trick. Although he has to prove himself over this trip, if he's going to stay it then he'll do it here and he sees out a mile strongly on more galloping courses and the quick ground will also help him get home and boost his chances as he loves to hear his hooves rattle. Comes here off the back of a good win last time at Doncaster and has a cracking chance at the weights. 4.25 Chester - 1pt win You Da One @ 15/2 (VC) Andrew Balding's horses are in decent form at the moment and in sprints at Chester it is often pivotal to be drawn low. Especially in a field of 15 like this. My selection comes out of stall 3 this afternoon which is obviously ideal and has utilised his early pace in the past. He's lightly raced but loves to be up with the gallop and that really should play to his strengths this afternoon. If you have a wall of horses in front of you around here it's often very difficult but so long as David Probert can bounce this one out from his draw and get into a handy position, he has the form to go close. It took him five starts to get off the mark in a poor race at Lingfield last time out when a 7l winner but was regularly running well before that. Ran well twice at the back-end of last season over 7f but just shaped like dropping back to 6f would be ideal and ran okay on his reappearance when 2nd over that trip at Kempton. Just looks to me like a horse who will love an easy 6f which favours front-runners and with the hood on for the first time, should go well for a very long way. 5.00 Chester - 1pt win Modernism @ 16/1 (Hills) Returns to the flat after a fairly disappointing spell over hurdles for John Ferguson but holds plenty of decent form on the level and I think the step back in trip can suit. Although he was a 1m4f winner at Goodwood last year he had the run of it in front and didn't really need to stay strongly to get his head in front. He's regularly found wanting at the death over further so this looks really interesting to me so long as he's fit and ready to go. Has joined Alan McCabe and has been off the track for a few months but won on his debut and Fallon is up. Was a good 4th in a hot Ascot handicap off this mark last season and I think a front-runners 1m2f will suit him as he loves to get up with the pace. There doesn't seem fierce competition for the lead in here so his draw in stall 8 may not be a nightmare and hopefully he can get a good position. The fact he probably stays a bit further can suit him from near the front and he relishes quick ground. If you can forgive him for a poor final run over jumps in January, he has a decent chance on flat form and is therefore worthy of a small bet at 16s.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert Another two places...story of the season so far. So frustrating when the ground changes. It's plausible there's two winners there if Eshtibaak got on the softer ground and You Da One on the quicker. Maybe not the latter but Eshtibaak still very much of interest as he didn't enjoy the track very much. Didn't like Modernism when the rain came.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert Muffin Mcleay running tomorrow mate, know you had your eye on him. Disappointing with the price he's opened up at with 365 though, was hoping for at least 10/1. With 3 last time out winners including lightly raced O'Meara and Fahey sorts, 6/1 looks far too short with me. Be Perfect looks more of interest.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert

Muffin Mcleay running tomorrow mate, know you had your eye on him. Disappointing with the price he's opened up at with 365 though, was hoping for at least 10/1. With 3 last time out winners including lightly raced O'Meara and Fahey sorts, 6/1 looks far too short with me. Be Perfect looks more of interest.
Yeah just got an alert for him mate. Bit disappointed also with the odds so will hold fire for now. Hasn't been given much chance the last twice and will definitely win sooner rather than later...step up in trip an obvious plus. Will wait and see!

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 3.15 Chester - 1pt win Jillnextdoor @ 14/1 (VC) It's difficult to assess this one's handicap mark as 12 of her 13 runs have come in non-handicaps with her debut in this sphere coming at Sandown last time out. On that evidence, you could say she looks handicapped out of matters but that's a little hasty I feel as plenty of her form in listed events etc suggest a mark of 90 shouldn't be out of her comfort zone. She had a wide draw to contend with at Sandown which is never ideal and for all I'd have liked to see her go a bit better, I think it could be worth forgiving her. She proved again that she has a good cruising speed that is necessary around here and her run at Bath two starts back was highly promising. She never got room to deliver a challenge so was allowed to come home in her own time ultimately but still wasn't losing any significant ground on the rest of the field at the line anyway! She must have gone well with a passage and that came in a listed race where 4 of the first 5 were rated in the 100s. The Channon team have been below par in the first couple of months or so of the season so there's another potential excuse but they had a winner here yesterday to give us a little confidence boost and his filly here is well drawn in stall 3. A good pace would help and I don't think the cut in the ground will really inconvenience. Hopefully can get a good position and go well. 3.50 Chester - 1pt win Kingscroft @ 12/1 (Ladbrokes) Naturally a berth in stall 11 isn't ideal for any horse at Chester but at least Mark Johnston's runner won't be absolutely desperate to get to the front and hopefully he can slot into a handy position. That will be half the battle but if he can get a decent sit then a big run could be on the cards. He's won here in the past off 4lbs higher and comes here shaping okay with conditions to suit him today. He's versatile with regards to the ground and is more than happy on a sharp course (winner here, at Musselburgh and Epsom). He's only had two runs this calendar year - the first at Wolverhampton in January when 3rd of 6 in a good race and then he had a bit of a prep for this last month at the same venue. He shaped well on his first start in over three months and that should have brought him on nicely. The drop back in trip is of no concern (6 of his 9 wins have come over 7f) and represents a top yard with plenty of winners on the board of late. Joe Fanning has a rock solid 16% strike rate at this tricky course and this 0-85 affair should prove to be within his comfort zone (his last turf run came in a 0-105).

Laughable ride on Muffin McLeay. They're going to land a gamble on that one for sure. They came for him when winning at Ripon. 33s today with a claimer on and barely touched from the rear. Keep a close eye. Better than bare result there for sure' date=' especially as they went no gallop. Slowly away, wide and never given a sniff by the jockey. Fingers crossed will be able to get on at a decent price when they take off the handbrake.[/quote'] 6s into 3/1. Chortle. Will inevitably win but 3/1 is a sickener really with form figures of 0008 on his last four.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert Four quick ones. Good prices today so will be hoping rather than expecting I suppose if we're being realistic. However, competitive races mean big prices but the horses can still run very well I think. 1.50 Haydock - 1pt win First Fandango @ 18/1 (VC) Has just come back into some kind of form the last twice at Cheltenham and at Aintree in big handicap hurdles. Only faded quite late on in the former despite being off the track for a couple of months which may have made a difference, and stayed on to be 3rd at Aintree. Ran some good races over fences also this season barring one on less than ideal heavy ground and normally runs his race. Conditions suit today and looks overpriced considering the 1st and 2nd at Aintree are 2nd and 3rd favourites for this. 3.30 Haydock - 1pt win Silk Hall @ 18/1 (Bet365) I remember when this horse was running big races in the top two mile handicaps a few years back and having been off the track for a long time has shaped as if he hasn't lost too much ability in the meantime. Still only 8 so it's no great surprise and after being pulled up on his first run back he was a solid 3rd in a race he didn't have a huge right to win and then was a staying on 3rd at Ayr in a good race. Will enjoy the out-and-out gallop likely here as he handles big fields well and the good ground is also in his favour. Think he'll run a big one. 3.50 Ascot - 1pt win Smarty Socks @ 33/1 (Hills) Have to take quite a bit on trust as this one didn't show too much on his seasonal reappearance but he's needed a first run back in the past and has a good record in big 7f races - especially on good ground and on a flat track. He does his winning here, at York and at Doncaster mainly so the return to this venue is ideal and he's come down the weights despite some half-decent runs at the end of last season. Can be forgiven on soft ground on his final start of 2012 and was probably just weighted out of matters before that off marks in the higher 90s. Runs off 91 with 5lbs off his back today for a yard in form and I think he can outrun his odds with conditions to suit and fitness back on side. 4.40 Haydock - 2pts win Aikideau @ 8/1 (VC) Backed this one when with Richard Rowe back at Kempton when probably going to finish second to Rajdhani Express and although well beaten by that one when coming to grief, that has franked the form in no uncertain terms since so it was a really good effort. Is now with Paul Nicholls and although absent since then and out of the weights he must have a big chance here. Has been dropped 5lbs since and he jumped pretty well largely considering that was essentially only his 2nd run over fences. If fit and ready to go (been supported early on) then he can go very well today.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 3.10 Worcester - 2pts win Astracad @ 6/1 (Bet365) Posted this before Aintree:

4.15 Aintree - 1pt win Astracad @ 10/1 (Bet365) Kid Cassidy comes here in peak form but this comes hot on the heels of Cheltenham and Nicky Henderson said he'd be concerned about the horse being burdened with top weight. He's therefore swerved and the horse I'm keen on avoided Cheltenham altogether and should be spot on for this. Nigel Twiston-Davies is in form and Astracad is a largely consistent fella who will enjoy conditions today and although not obviously well-handicapped, still looks fairly sure to run his race and with the blinkers applied for the first time, that can eke out the little bit extra required to win this. He is a horse who often hits a flat spot in his races before staying on when he's too far back and isn't the best jumper in the world so it's well worth a try in my book and if he can hold his position a bit better then I expect a bold effort. He was 2nd in this race off 2lbs higher last year (albeit no match for the winner) and his runs this season have been reasonably good. His 4th at Cheltenham was a strong effort on his seasonal return. He was only beaten 8l with errors behind a well-handicapped winner, a horse who won since in 3rd and Kid Cassidy back in 4th (big swing in the weights today in my selection's favour). He then ran over 2m5f at the same course but the ground was heavy and the trip not his best and he unsurprisingly dropped away into a well-held midfield spot. He's been off since but regularly goes well fresh and obviously doesn't have any recent exertions. He's a genuine good ground performer too with 4 of his 6 career wins coming on ground described as "good", 1 on "good to soft" and 1 on "soft" but that one came in a race he was 40/85f so he probably got away with it rather than anything else. You never know how horses will react to first time headgear but if it does the trick then he really ought to be in the mix.
His jumping once again let him down as he hit the deck but was actually running with a bit more zest with the headgear on and in an easier race today and not a hard race there, I think he's well worth another go with the blinkers retained.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 3.50 Kempton - 1pt win Takeroc @ 11/1 (VC) Has been a bit of a cliff horse for me in the past but has come nicely down the handicap as his age has gone up but still retains enough ability to be competitive in this event. He can be forgiven for a quiet season with the weather as he enjoys top of the ground and was running adequately in half decent races back on better ground off 2lbs higher two and three starts back. Can safely be excused his poor effort over three miles last time as he simply doesn't stay and I think this track is ideal for him. This is probably a bit easier than his recent exploits and can go well at a nice price. 4.00 Plumpton - 2pts win Drum Valley @ 4/1 (Bet365) Has to saddle top weight here but he represents a yard in good form in Oliver Sherwood and Jack Sherwood takes 5lbs off his back to ease the burden. Ran in a very competitive race at Cheltenham last time when finishing just in behind the leaders and this is a fair bit easier on paper. Prior to that he was 3rd when not enjoying how the race was run (leader dominated and outpaced him when kicking for home). Potentially will be better on a sounder surface as well so could upgrade his last few runs perhaps but generally holds a very decent chance - especially if they go a consistent gallop. Mark not restrictive with the rider's claim and really should be on the premises. 4.40 Worcester - 2pts win Douchkirk @ 9/2 (Bet365) It's fair to say this isn't a very good race so a horse who has run two decent races in a row does appeal. John Berry's runner showed he had some sort of ability in novice events but it's obvious he would need weak handicaps in order to try and win a race. Was midfield in a decent Kempton handicap on his debut since getting a mark and wasn't beaten all that far when 4th at Chepstow two starts back. Improved again to be 2nd in first time cheekpieces last time at Plumpton and that gives him a rock solid chance here. Two of Berry's last three runners have run big races and this one's best runs have tended to come when not in a slogfest so the anticipated quickish ground on offer today can help him find the extra to take the contest.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert Jumps: Bets: 247 Wins: 32 Placed: 65 Pts Staked: 409pts Pts Returned: 432pts P/L: +23pts Flat: Bets: 55 Wins: 3 Placed: 11 Pts Staked: 82pts Pts Returned: 49pts P/L: -33pts Disappointing for the thread to be in the red. Frustrating start to the flat season with places dominating rather than wins. Early days though and should get better now horses aren't all returning from a winter off the track. Hopefully things will pick up with York this week.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 3.15 Doncaster - 1pt win Medici Dancer @ 28/1 (VC) Tim Easterby's runner hasn't been well supported in this contest but is overpriced for what she's achieved so far in her career and should find this a bit more suitable than her last two runs. She was twice headed late on in soft ground 6f maidens at Pontefract and Newcastle before readily getting off the mark as expected in a 3 runner race at Redcar next time out in October. She went up in grade at Doncaster when a never nearer 6th of 16 over 6f there and it was again somewhat surprising to see her well off the pace at Ripon on her seasonal reappearance considering she'd held a prominent sit in her first few runs. Perhaps she just couldn't go the early gallop up in grade on quicker ground than normal over 6f but both of her last two efforts have suggested she needs more of a stamina test. Although the ground remains on the quick side, she goes up to 7f today and that should enable her to not get so far back. This is easier (hence her being top weight) and with 5lbs taken off her back, her price of 28/1 seems a little bit too large.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 4.25 Doncaster - 2pts win Poetic Dancer @ 14/1 (VC) Clive Cox's runner was taken out on soft ground on Saturday which suggests to me that they think their runner has a decent chance of landing her reappearance race rather than just getting fitness on her side. It did appear that she needed her first run back last season and whilst it may still be the case this time around, the yard were desperately out of form when she made that first start in 2012 so that's a possible excuse for her poor run. They're going better this time around and this filly is extremely consistent as she hasn't been beaten more than 3 1/2l on 10 of her 12 runs. She relishes quick ground that she gets today and she's only 1lb above her last winning mark. Ryan Tate takes 5lbs off to make her weight even more appealing and 7f is her ideal trip. She improved on her 2nd start of last season when running a cracker in a race that wasn't really run to suit at Salisbury and despite disappointing at Newmarket next time, she wasn't beaten far on the all-weather subsequently in good races. She does seem better on a sound turf surface, though, and has a head second over this c&d in the book. Ought to run her race and having a claimer on board can hopefully turn her into a winner.

4.25 Doncaster - 2pts win Poetic Dancer @ 14/1 (VC) Clive Cox's runner was taken out on soft ground on Saturday which suggests to me that they think their runner has a decent chance of landing her reappearance race rather than just getting fitness on her side. It did appear that she needed her first run back last season and whilst it may still be the case this time around, the yard were desperately out of form when she made that first start in 2012 so that's a possible excuse for her poor run. They're going better this time around and this filly is extremely consistent as she hasn't been beaten more than 3 1/2l on 10 of her 12 runs. She relishes quick ground that she gets today and she's only 1lb above her last winning mark. Ryan Tate takes 5lbs off to make her weight even more appealing and 7f is her ideal trip. She improved on her 2nd start of last season when running a cracker in a race that wasn't really run to suit at Salisbury and despite disappointing at Newmarket next time, she wasn't beaten far on the all-weather subsequently in good races. She does seem better on a sound turf surface, though, and has a head second over this c&d in the book. Ought to run her race and having a claimer on board can hopefully turn her into a winner.
Agree with this. Missed price on Shesastar last night cos of a power cut, was sitting their waiting for prices to come out and then everything goes out for the next hour, marvellous. But at the now/earlier today prices, I think 14/1 is too big on this one. Hoping they dont go to quick, which is possible here, as she'll be sitting handy and hopefully get home back on turf with the claimer taking 5 off.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert Would have wiped out the vast majority of losses had she held on there. Feels like a missed opportunity as when you back at such prices, most of the time you don't go close, so when you do but don't win, it hurts like a punch to the stomach. Both horses ran blinders but nothing to show for it. Ratio of places to wins is horrible so far this flat season and can only hope it comes round soon or we'll have a very unhealthy loss. Not sure if there's anything for tomorrow but hopefully we can hit York for six and kickstart the season.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 1.45 York - 2pts win First Mohican @ 5/1 (Bet365) I really think this could be between the top two in the betting and I'm happier to side with Sir Henry Cecil's runner who looked a real progressive animal last season prior to a midfield finish at Doncaster when last seen. That came on quick ground over 1m4f where he took a hold and was drawn out very wide as well. This meant he didn't get a good sit and I think he'd have preferred being closer to the pace. He never made it beyond midfield but connections stated that he wants some give in the ground and all in all I think that can be forgiven. This looks a bit less competitive to my eye and he won after a long break last season so we know he can go well fresh. The rain will suit him and he should get a better position today from stall 3 and hopefully can settle a bit better over this shorter trip that he's more proven over as well.