** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

What do you do if you miss the price??

The Saint

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What do you do if you miss the price??

What exactly is a pro gambler? Just someone who makes a living on betting?
Ya Scotty, precisely. Paddy became a millionaire back in the 90's, was worth around 2 million, and then he lost everything. He then had to find investors to back him, he did so, and he got his wealth up to around 4-5 million which is what i think he is currently worth. But he has all the contacts, he is up at 3am every night studying races, and he could end up losing the lot again. I would love to know how he gets his bets on though, i know he had a bet of 20k e/w on Sailors Warn @ 25/1 at Cheltenham and it was placed, but where on earth would you get that money on? He is very secretive, so i couldn't hazard a guess.

GT was unfortunately not suited to PL because he brings an ego the size of Democratic Republic of Congo and made some very childish remarks at times. Sure, he knows his stuff to a degree, but he would not admit he was ever wrong and that means you can never improve as a person/punter. There's plenty of punters on PL who could slamdunk GT with knowledge of punting, value, etc... The only reason they don't immediately spring to mind, is because they don't write a short story in every post they make.
You think? The best horse racing punter i've seen during my time on here was Mileni imo, after that i'd have a few punters i'd rate very highly and GT would be amongst them. Not that my opinion counts for much but that's just my view. His profits speak for themselves if you follow his thread on TRF, havent looked in a while but last time i did he was having a decent enough season. Do agree that he needs to admit he's wrong at times and can be very frustrating, although remember seeing him say in Aidys Market Mover thread that the profits Aidy made there had changed his mind. Agree with The Saint about that Brucey Savage, he made a post on here a few weeks ago, he's comedy gold with his arrogance, worth a read if you look over on that site.

Surely the best way is a mix of both? Looking for winners but only backing at a price you feel suitable.
I agree, but don't restrict myself to one possible winner when assessing the prices. I consider several, but not all. I think Saint pointed out that some you would consider as likely losers (out of form, not suited by going, etc) so you'd exclude them

Pro Gamblers don't announce themselves' date=' that's just people who want an audience. Definition would be making a living out of it though, yes.:ok[/quote'] Agree. If I was making a full time income I'd keep under the radar. I think most of us (well me anyway) are happy to have a really fun hobby that contributes a bit of spending money

You think? The best horse racing punter i've seen during my time on here was Mileni imo' date='[/quote'] I would probably agree with that SER although there used to be a guy called Cavelloman who was also top class and very disciplined he ended up getting banned for something not betting related which was such a shame imo.

Re: What do you do if you miss the price?? If I miss the price I want for a horse then I'll leave it alone. Plain and simple. If I have a certain winning chance i.e. price for a horse in mind then it makes no sense to convince myself to say shorter odds are grand either. That would be pure gambling I suppose. I really fancy Eightfold in the last race at Chepstow tomorrow for example but 3/1 is just a ridiculous price in my mind so as much I fancy the horse for various reasons I can't back him because the price is shorter than the price I want. It can be the other way around as well though as some mentioned here already. I want say 4/1 for a horse and feel very strong about the chance but it's something like a 16/1 shot in the betting market then I'd be wary because that looks like monstrous value but if things are too good too be true there is often a reason for it - mostly not a good one though.

Re: What do you do if you miss the price?? It happened to me at Donny today in a few races. I had a small bet on Valbchek at 7's before I set off to Donny. Bought a RP there and saw Pricewise put it up at 10's, never saw any 10's but I'm sure the bookies will claim they laid that price for all of about 3 minutes. It was too short on course to back as I was hoping to get on it there too. I opted for small bets on Nocturnal Affair and Pabusar as I felt they offered better value at the prices. Neither won but neither did the Pricewise steamer that went off at half the odds he put it up at. Same thing happened in the 4.45pm race but strangely in my favour. I was keen on Discression at around the 7-1 mark and was convinced that Strictly Silver was way too short in a race like this. It had been raining all afternoon, ground kept changing and I noticed the Bell/Spencer horse was running above its level last time out in a Group 3 but now back down to a class 2 handicap and had run 2nd on soft at Yarmouth, added to the fact Spencer rides this course well. I could only get 4-1/9-2 on course for Discression and left it due to the price. Had it been about 7's I'd have backed that and never touched the winner so I agree with Kithanga when he says you need to have a few in mind to back with prices changing so drastically, along with the ground today. Started good to firm, went good and finished good, good to soft in places. That will cock up your bets if you've studied for good to firm ground and got on early doors. I liked Gingertipsters concept of value but his bordering on obsession with the table of odds and chances was tiresome and this is a man that said he didn't actually know if he was in front or not when questioned on TRF by their punters a while back. It's ok boasting about a 56-1 winner on Betfair but failing to mention the other 6 "value" horses you've backed in that race meaning your accumulative odds are nearer even money. This is a forum and most of us try help each other out and all are willing to learn and accept when we've made a mistake, placed a crap bet etc, it's a community and some people (like Gingertipster) offer nothing to that community spirit due to ego and a need for attention and acknowledgement.

I would probably agree with that SER although there used to be a guy called Cavelloman who was also top class and very disciplined he ended up getting banned for something not betting related which was such a shame imo.
He's on twitter. I spoke to him on there a while back. He had some strange attitude towards general chat and was another with a bit of an ego problem. Clearly knows his stuff and does footy betting too but was another that seemed to demand respect. Shame it ended like it did with him on here.

I would probably agree with that SER although there used to be a guy called Cavelloman who was also top class and very disciplined he ended up getting banned for something not betting related which was such a shame imo.
Another one with an ego the size of Alaska unfortunately Ted.

Pro Gamblers don't announce themselves' date=' that's just people who want an audience. Definition would be making a living out of it though, yes.:ok[/quote'] True that! I have a customer that claims to be a pro gambler and likes to boast about what he's won. Never heard him say hes lost and I don't think I have ever heard him say he's had a winner priced over evens! Just a few weeks ago he told me to back a horse, I had a look on the screens and it was 2/7. Really, tipping a 2/7 shot? The only disappointment was that it won!