Flat Racing ~ Wednesday August 1st ~ Goodwood Day 2

3.45 Goodwood: UBS Stakes (Handicap) (Class 2) (1m4f) A race full of horses with winning form and unexposed profiles as you would expect and plenty in with a chance. I think Scatter Dice is sure to run his race and with the good apprentice jockey Darren Egan taking 5lbs off he must be on the shortlist. Handsome Man did nothing wrong at Ascot in a better race and can see no reason why he cant finish in the frame once again. Overall I think the bookies have this about right and the winner should come from the front six in the market. Selections: 2pts Scatter Dice 8/1 Stan James 1pt Handsome Man 10/1 Blue Square Full Preview; http://www.punterslounge.com/goodwood-betting-scatter-dice-can-give-johnston-and-egan-another-handicap-win-at-goodwood

Re: Flat Racing ~ Wednesday August 1st ~ Goodwood Day 2 2:35 Goodwood Olympic Glory 2pt win - 7/2 (888sport) Tha'ir 1pt win - 8/1 (B365) Olympic Glory is the form pick of the race having finished so close to Dawn Approach in the Coventry and then going on to beat Birdman on heavy ground last time out. Faster ground will suit tomorrow and the price looks more than fair. The current fav is clearly well regarded but not worth backing with the maiden win to his name. Tha'ir won impressively at Royal Ascot and seems well overpriced at 8/1, guaranteed to like the conditions and for a stable in form. 3:45 Goodwood Willie Wag Tail 2pt win - 9/1 (Betvictor) Big looking price here. His win last time out was very impressive to me as he seems the type that needs to be held on to, yet he swept to the front too soon as he was going far better than anything else and had to kick way too early. As soon as anything came near he ran on again with lots left in the tank. Unexposed over this trip and very hard to see him out of the frame.

Re: Flat Racing ~ Wednesday August 1st ~ Goodwood Day 2 2.00 Goodwood Stakes (Handicap) The stayers take centre stage in the opening race of day two at Glorious Goodwood with Hurricane Higgins one to consider for Mark Johnston who won the race back in 2003. He was highly tried at the top level as a 3yo but did run some solid races in defeat, including when a ½ length runner-up in the Lingfield Derby Trial and when 6th behind his stable mate Namibian in last year’s Gordon Stakes here at Goodwood. His stamina does have to be taken on trust but Johnston’s horses are normally pretty tough, so if he does stay the trip he could be an interesting outsider. Romeo Montague is a proven stayer over this marathon distance having finished 3rd in the 2m5 ½f Queen Alexandra Stakes at Royal Ascot behind Willie Mullins impressive Simenon. Things didn’t really go to plan for this horse at the beginning of the season but he has made up for that with his performance at Royal Ascot before then going on to win a 2m handicap at the same course. His last two performances have also come on a softer surface, so the forecast rain would definitely strengthen his chances. He has gone up 3lb in the weights on the back of his recent victory, which will make life tougher, but he has proven himself over the distance and could easily be in the shake-up. Another horse to finish behind Simenon at Royal Ascot was NAFAATH, however he did so in the 2m4f Ascot Stakes, a race in which he was staying on the closing stages. The extra furlong and a half in front of him ought to suit and he is only 1lb higher in the weights this time around. He bumped into a ridiculously well-handicapped rival in Simenon at Ascot, however that rival does not line-up here at Goodwood, so I am expecting a big run from Neil King’s 6yo gelding. One final horse for the shortlist which could also run a big race is the Tom Taaffe-trained Defence of Duress. The fact that his trainer has decided to bring him over from Ireland speaks volumes for me, especially having had a nice prep run over hurdles 19 days ago to put him spot on for this. His stamina does have to be taken slightly on trust, but his sire Motivator has a 35% (12 winners-34 runners) strike-rate with his progeny running over 14f or further. 2.35 Veuve Clicquot Vintage Stakes (Group 2) A very competitive 2yo Group 2 with many horses seemingly holding strong claims. Ghurair won very impressively in a tough Newmarket maiden 19 days ago, with the form of that racing taking a boost when the fourth horse home, Alfonso De Sousa, dotted up at Leopardstown by 9 lengths. He does have a lot to find on the more experienced rivals in the field but he certainly has a lot of potential. His sire Elusive Quality is also having a great time of things and he is definitely an intriguing prospect. The field includes six of the runners from the Superlative Stakes at Newarket, including the first four home; OLYMPIC GLORY took the spoils, just ahead of Birdman, Maxentus and Artigiano. The winner of the race, Olympic Glory, is trained by the masterful 2yo handler Richard Hannon, who is bidding for a third consecutive win in the contest.He certainly holds a superb chance with this son of Choisir. I had doubts about how he would handle the soft ground at Newmarket last time out, but he showed his class in taking the victory. Even despite the forecast rain, the ground should still be more of the soft side of good than soft, which will be much more suitable for the horse. We also must not forget that he gave the unbeaten Dawn Approach a good race in the Coventry Stakes at Royal Ascot, which is arguably the best form on offer and he is the one to beat. Maxintus may have been third behind the selection at Newmarket, but I expect a closer battle on the forecast better ground. He was travelling the best for a long way at Newmarket hitting the front on the bridle, however the rain softened ground eventually took its toll, halting his progress, so I expect a better showing on better ground, putting him right there at the finish. 3.10 Qipco Sussex Stakes (Group 1) There isn’t too much I can say about this race as the flawless FRANKEL bids to stretch his unbeaten run to 12. He seemingly just needs to turn up to win, with the next best horse in the field, Farhh, rated a staggering 18lb inferior on official figures. The only advice I can give you is to exploit any distance betting the bookmakers dare to offer, with Frankel to win by 10 lengths or more a likely outcome. Farhh is clear second best on figures, rated 11lb higher than Frankel’s three-quarter’s brother Bullet Train, who has 3lb in hand over Gabrial, with the latter duo likely to be scrapping over third and fourth places. 3.45 UBS Stakes (Handicap) It will be intriguing to see how Scatter Dice comes out of her race at the weekend, in which she just held on to record her fourth victory from eight starts. Darren Egan remains on board after his winning ride at the weekend, once again taking an invaluable 5lb out of the saddle. She is a real tough filly, typifying what Mark Johnston’s horses are all about. She certainly arrives here on the top of her game but the extra hike in the weights creates a little bit of doubt in my mind, however if any trainer is capable of such a feat it is Johnston. Trend Is My Friend is a runner which also takes my eye for the Amanda Perrett team. He won last time out making his handicap debut over 1m2f, getting up to win close home. He is up another two furlongs in trip here, but with more progress on the cards he could be well treated. They all may have to chase home MAWAQEET however, who won his maiden over 1m 3f at Hamilton last time out in fine style. He is one of the least fancied horses in the race but I believe his form is better than many give him credit for. He was second to the smart Trade Commissioner, who has since gone on to win a valuable handicap off a mark of 98. He also beat a horse called Sir Quintin by 4 ¼ lengths, whom Rule Book could only beat by ¼ of a length. That particular horse is 7/1 yet Sir Michael Stoute’s runner is 20/1, which doesn’t quite add up in my mind. The selection also steps up another furlong in trip, which on pedigree should suit, and he also hails from a yard in form (8 winners from their last 26 runners) and I am expecting a big run at a huge price. 4.20 Markel Insurance Maiden Fillies’ Stakes Pearl Sea certainly appears to hold the strongest form in the book on paper after finishing 3rd on debut before bettering that in finishing 2nd next time. She was beaten by what looks a smart prospect from the Godolphin team, so if she can build on that here she is entitled to be in the mix once more. Bint Youmzain is another filly I expect to be in the mix. I am predicting vast improvement on her sixth-place finish on debut having started the race slowly before being hampered when making good progress. Mick Channon’s team have been in good form all year and his horses historically come on for the run. With valuable racecourse experience under her belt, I would be surprised if she didn’t run a big race, providing she starts better. This leaves me with Paul Cole’s grey filly CUT NO ICE, who has had the two runs to date, with her latest 3rd placed performance fairly eye-catching; the winner of the race, Ollie Olga, has since gone on to make it 2 from 2 in a conditions race and the 4th horse home has gone on to win by 4½ lengths. Paul Cole has not had much firepower at his disposal over recent years but he certainly looks to have a smart filly here, and she could take all the beating. 4.55 British Stallion Studs Turf Club EBF Fillies’ Stakes (Handicap) Another competitive affair but the one they all have to beat is the progressive filly KEENE DANCER, who hails from the Sir Michael Stoute yard. She certainly fits the bill from a trends perspective; six of the last ten winners have been the market leader (favourite at the time of writing) and eight of the last ten winners have been 3yos. Back-to-back wins at Windsor, firstly in maiden company followed by a handicap win off 78, clearly outline the form she is in coming here. The handicapper has upped her mark to 85 but with more progress likely over a furlong further, she could prove very tough to beat. The question marks surrounding the ground won’t be an issue with the filly already proving equally adept on good-to-firm and heavy ground. Another horse representing a top stable is Sir Henry Cecil’s Oasis Dream filly, Chigun, who was ultra-impressive when getting off the mark at the fourth time of asking. She fairly dotted up by an incredible 10 lengths, but it is hard to assess the true level of this form and an opening mark of 90 maybe fairly harsh; however she is very unexposed, clearly has plenty of talent and could be anything. Princess Caetani is also an interesting runner after winning a Salisbury handicap by 7 lengths off a mark of 74. That was just a 3 runner field so it may not be the strongest form, but a 6lb rise in the weights if far from harsh and could well continue to progress. Oojooba could also be worth taking a chance on after finding 1m2f too far. She made a winning debut last September over a mile and this 1m1f trip may prove to be more suitable. 5.30 Harwoods Racing Club Handicap Stakes The final race could all revolve around Jeremy Noseda’s TRIPLE CHARM, who I believe is still fairly well treated after just the nine starts. There are also plenty of valid excuses for her recent defeats. Last time out at Kempton Ryan Moore gave her too much, with the filly finishing best of all weaving her way through the pack. The heavy ground the time before may well have stretched the horse’s stamina, and the 6f trip previously was also on the sharp side, with the filly making strong headway at the finish. William Buick is back on board today so connections could not have picked a more in form jockey and I think the pairing will be very tough to beat. White Frost is entitled to be in mix on the back of his near miss at York last weekend and is off the same mark of 86. He found life tough off marks in the 90s but is back down to his last winning rating. Dubawi Sound is another runner arriving here in fine form after hosing up a Newcastle most recently by 6 lengths. He is up 6lb for that success but the very capable apprentice Harry Bentley takes off a valuable 3lb. The only slight concerns about the latter mentioned duo, who make appearances having ran just 4 days previous, is how they fare turned out so soon. For those maybe looking for something at a bigger price, George Guru could prove to be a lively outsider for Michael Attwater. He has been beaten by some smart types on his last two starts, with the soft ground a plausible excuse the time before that, however he did win off 88 earlier this year, so a big run of 89 is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Re: Flat Racing ~ Wednesday August 1st ~ Goodwood Day 2 2:00 Goodwood: Cape Express 1pt win 9/1 Stan James Cape Express has been going well over hurdles since joining Nicky Henderson with comfortable wins at Worcester and Hereford. Nicky Henderson has a good record in this race and is generally one to look out for when he has a runner on the flat in these staying races. The form of the race at Chester on the level when third to previous winner Star Commander and next time out victor Qahriman looks rock solid. 2:35 Goodwood: Ghurair 1pt win 11/4 Boylesports Often John Gosden's two year olds need their first run. However Ghurair won in decent style at Newmarket, only having to be pushed out to win from Improvisation. The fourth that day Afonso De Sousa trained by Aiden O'Brien won next time at The Curragh, and looking further down the filed No Jet Lag who was seventh went in next time too. Its reasonable to hope for further improvement, in which case Ghurair should go very close. 3:45 Goodwood: Goodwood Atlantis 1pt win 16/1 Bet365 A few years ago a John Dunlop three year old stepping up in trip would not have been 16/1. John Dunlop's string seems to be coming to hand with several horses running well without making the winner's circle. Owned by the Goodwood Racehorse Owners Group, it could be this meeting has been the target and Goodwood Atlantis ran on late here in May to give encouragement for today. Another couple of furlongs could see some more improvement which would put Ted Durcan's mount in the picture in a wide open handicap.

Re: Flat Racing ~ Wednesday August 1st ~ Goodwood Day 2 Goodwood 3.10pm Frankel a certainty to win but there won't be many taking 1-16. No w/o favourite markets with it being 4 runners so if anyone does want a bet then the only real chance of making money at half decent odds has to be the winning distances market. Full race preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/goodwood-betting-frankel-to-make-it-12-12-but-by-what-distance

Re: Flat Racing ~ Wednesday August 1st ~ Goodwood Day 2 Goodwood 2.35pm Olympic Glory had many of these behind last time out and was apparently not fully fit. Birdman got close last time out as OG was tiring but I feel that Tha'Ir could be the biggest danger to the Hannon/Hughes horse and it should come on for its last run when it won well. Full race preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/goodwood-betting-olympic-glory-can-prove-a-topical-winner-for-hannon-and-hughes

Re: Flat Racing ~ Wednesday August 1st ~ Goodwood Day 2 I really fancy Rakaan to outrun his odds in the last, I noted him down after his run at Chester and he's shaped well a couple of times this year on ground you've got to think is far too soft. All his best form is on good or quicker ground and I think he's only been kept on the go this year to bring his mark down further. Looking really well handicapped on his best form with Jamie Osborne is top form, Spencer a positive booking and he's got form at the track.

Re: Flat Racing ~ Wednesday August 1st ~ Goodwood Day 2 2.00 Goodwood: Goodwood Stakes (Handicap) (Class 2) (2m5f) This race is all about stamina and last years runner up Seaside Sizzler looks sure to be involved, he’s had a couple of quite outings so far this season and will have been targeting this and probably the most to fear from the unexposed Cape Express from the Nicky Henderson yard. He could be very well handicapped as he seems to have improved over hurdles and if he can transfer that to the flat his mark of 84 looks very dangerous. Selections: 2pts Seaside Sizzler 9/1 >William Hill 1pt Cape Express 7/1 >Betfred Full Preview; http://www.punterslounge.com/goodwood-betting-seaside-sizzler-to-go-one-better-this-year-in-staying-handicap-at-goodwood

Re: Flat Racing ~ Wednesday August 1st ~ Goodwood Day 2 *Ghurair - Goodwood 2:35* This horse looks like a top class horse in the making. Was an expensive purchace, and justified it's price when winning cosily in a big field maiden at Newmarket. The Gosden stable think a huge amount of this horse, and if it even has half the ability they reckon it has, it should win this race. Gosden has had 3 winners from his last 7 runners, and at Goodwood 2 of his last 3 have won. *1 Point WIN @ 9/4 >Bet365 BOG*

Re: Flat Racing ~ Wednesday August 1st ~ Goodwood Day 2 looking for a bit of value today as the racing is very tough at goodwood so gonna need some decent priced winners ..... 2.35 good olympic glory 7/2 bet365 4pt win chilworth icon 33/1 bet365 2pt win olympic glory would be a topical winner and looks to have the ability to win this ....probably didnt appreciate the soft ground lto and on better ground can use his speed to full effect and should make a bold bid .chilworth icon showed plenty of speed lto and is not out of this is running to his best ....interesting runner good 5.30 celtic sultan 25/1 bet365 2pt win santefisio 14/1 bet365 2pt win both these horses will have their work cut out to win this but both have been showing plenty of speed in their races lately and at big prices have sound chances in an open race + 4x2pt win doubles

Re: Flat Racing ~ Wednesday August 1st ~ Goodwood Day 2 Got five of interest today at Goodwood so shorter posts probable. 2.00 Goodwood - 3pts win Veiled @ 14/1 (Bet365) I personally cannot touch the favourite at such a price at this trip and will let him win should he do so. I, however, am pretty sweet on the chances of Nicky Henderson's first string in here who won the Ascot stakes off 6lbs lower last year - proving she has both the quality and the stamina for this test. Although she's been a bit hold and cold since then, she's run a couple of good races in both codes recently and her recent run at the Royal meeting does not put me off her today. She ran a fine 3rd in the Coral Cup at the Cheltenham Festival before weakening at Aintree over 3m1f - no great surprise seen as she's never won over that far, especially on soft ground, just a few weeks after Cheltenham. You would have thought she would get home over that trip in NH racing considering her flat record but I can forgive her that and she ran respectably last time out at Ascot. She finished 10th of 20, but wasn't beaten far when taking out the thrown-in winner and Eddie Ahern eased her down late on, exaggerating the losing margin. She travelled well, but was on the outside, and the ground wasn't ideal. She relishes a quick surface and she seems likely to get something close today and is also a summer horse by the looks of things (7-8 wins between March-September). I think the ground can make all the difference here and she travelled plenty strongly enough to suggest she's in good order. She's not out of this at the weights and she looks a sound bet to run her race and I'm fairly confident it will see her go close. 2.35 Goodwood - 3pts win Maxentius @ 6/1 (Bet365) The favourite could be anything but the experience of some of the others may be crucial and the recent Superlative Stakes at Newmarket is the focal point of the form of a few of these rivals. Although Olympic Glory and Birdman got the better of Peter Chapple-Hyam's runner there, there was only 2l between the winner and my selection in 3rd that day, and the increased emphasis on speed will really suit him here. He was extremely impressive on his first two starts on a sound surface when quickening clear on debut and then cruising at the back of a small field at Doncaster, with no room, before showing a fine turn of foot on the bridle to quickly settle the race without William Buick breathing on him essentially. He again showed a nice burst of speed to get to the front going sweetly at Newmarket but the race, on heavy ground, meant he couldn't quicken away as usual, and those with stamina and the more galloping types came to the front late on. This sharper test on better ground should suit much better and I can see him getting first run on the field today, and it will take a good one to stop him. 3.45 Goodwood - 2pts win Mawaqeet @ 16/1 (Bet365) This is a bit of a puzzle to solve and many could win this but I think Sir Michael Stoute's runner is a touch overpriced in here despite only getting off the mark at the 6th attempt last time out at Hamilton. He's obviously not the easiest but has run plenty of good races in defeat and this race should suit him. He had excuses last season when needing his first outing before finding heavy ground against him next time out. Was only beaten 3/4l over 7f on good ground on his final start of 2011 (finished well) and that was never going to be his trip. His first effort back has proved to be very strong (10f on good) when chasing home the very progressive Trade Commissioner and was only beaten 1/2l. That horse is now rated 105 so on literal form, a rating of 87 for my selection isn't bad. He's run on soft the last twice which wouldn't be ideal I don't think as his sire has a stronger record on quicker surfaces, and the best runs have come on better ground for Paul Hanagan's mount. The visor was applied last time and he ran out a 3l victor. That stays on today and he looks a galloping type who will need a good pace to run at here. He should get that today with four of the runners having led on at least one of their last two starts. The better ground will suit and I reckon he'll run a big race from a decent draw in 8. He's a hold-up horse so a middle stall should be ideal and I'm confident of a big run. 4.55 Goodwood - 3pts win Valiant Girl @ 7/1 (Bet365) Roger Charlton's filly is very interesting to me in this 1m1f handicap having got off the mark narrowly last time out over c&d. Course form is a boost here and she looks to have plenty of improvement still in her having only had two runs to date. These runs have been separated by an 8-month break and I think she can be a bit better than a rating of 85. Her dam was rated 98 so she clearly has a fair bit of ability in her pedigree and this should be her best run so far. She was a clear eyecatcher on debut behind the very talented Encke (will now be rated comfortably in the 100s). She was slowly away, green and nudged along in rear before having nowhere to go once she picked up the bit. Steve Drowne had to sit and suffer before she got a bit of room and she stayed on quite takingly before being short of daylight once more late on. The race was decent and she definitely was one of the main few to take out of it. She did well to win here last time given she'd been off the track for so long and the steady pace wouldn't have been ideal, either. She quickened up well, however, with an unraced rival to battle all the way to the line and she nicked it by a head. The way the front two accelerated 4 1/2l clear late on off a modest pace suggests both are pretty useful and she should have come on again for the run. The yard's horses are going well and have a 20% strike rate here. They can hopefully celebrate another winner here. 5.30 Goodwood - 2pts e/w Treadwell @ 12/1 (Bet365) A rare each-way bet given there's a well-treated horse in the field, but I'm confident of a big run from Jamie Osborne's charge, who showed much more at Haydock last time and should relish the type of race on offer here. This one won the Buckingham Palace at Royal Ascot in 2010 off 9lbs higher and relishes a strongly run 7f. That should be guaranteed here in a big field like this and it seems like the trainer has managed to get some spark back into him after a break of four months before he returned in late May. He travelled well that day and stayed on to be 3rd late in the day before being nabbed for that position close home, but wasn't given too much of a hard time by Fergus Sweeney. He only administered one smack with the whip so it was a pretty generous ride and they didn't go lightning fast up front. With that encouraging run under his belt he comes here into a big field, on ground that suits, and is well-handicapped. If he improves again for that Haydock run then he has a huge chance here off a mark of 89 and should be there or thereabouts. Gone each-way just in case the favourite is too well-in to cope with. Confident of a frame position, though.

Re: Flat Racing ~ Wednesday August 1st ~ Goodwood Day 2 Redcar 2.50 has been won 4/5 times by a 3 yo Filly [8:12] who has ran between 4-9 times previously and been returned in the top 5 in the betting. Selection - ALICE ROSE

Re: Flat Racing ~ Wednesday August 1st ~ Goodwood Day 2 no time today but fousing on Ryan Moor getting some ew prices in the frame for me My nap is KEENE DANCER later in the day, there are some decent stats around for MOORE/STOUTE at this course and i was impressed when it won at Windsor LTO, you wont get rich but 7/2 has been taken!!

Re: Flat Racing ~ Wednesday August 1st ~ Goodwood Day 2

looking for a bit of value today as the racing is very tough at goodwood so gonna need some decent priced winners ..... 2.35 good olympic glory 7/2 bet365 4pt win chilworth icon 33/1 bet365 2pt win olympic glory would be a topical winner and looks to have the ability to win this ....probably didnt appreciate the soft ground lto and on better ground can use his speed to full effect and should make a bold bid .chilworth icon showed plenty of speed lto and is not out of this is running to his best ....interesting runner good 5.30 celtic sultan 25/1 bet365 2pt win santefisio 14/1 bet365 2pt win both these horses will have their work cut out to win this but both have been showing plenty of speed in their races lately and at big prices have sound chances in an open race + 4x2pt win doubles
gutted .......just pipped on the line for 130pt double .

Re: Flat Racing ~ Wednesday August 1st ~ Goodwood Day 2 7.15 Leicester - 2pts win The Cayterers @ 7/1 (Hills) Tony Carroll's last three runners have gone excellently and this 10 year old should be primed now on his third run of the season. Conditions suit here over 1m2f on quick ground with the stiff finish in his favour. He's had excuses on his first two runs this time around, both at Windsor, when given a tender ride over 1m4f on his return as George Downing didn't ask him for any serious effort and the mile was too short last time. The ground also wouldn't have been ideal and he did keep on in a race that has worked out well. Back up in trip today and has a different 7lb claimer on board today. If he gives him a decent ride then he looks poised to run a big race with weight taken off his back.

Re: Flat Racing ~ Wednesday August 1st ~ Goodwood Day 2 20.15 - Leicester - Hatta Stream @ 12/1 Bet365 Small play on this one for me this evening. Certainly a horse that prefere the AW but is on a temptingly low turf mark and it wouldnt surprise me if he went close tonight. Hatta Stream put in a string of consistent efforts on the AW at the start of this year with the best of those probably being a 2nd over 6f in a competitive handicap at Kempton off a mark of 78 in May. Since then he has had a few turf runs and although not setting the world on fire he hasnt been disgraced, and had subsequently been dropped to a turf mark of 62. Has 3lb claimer onboard too and comes into the race fresh off a little break. Would probably like the ground slightly softer but i feel 12/1 is reasonable price considering what he has going for him.

Re: Flat Racing ~ Wednesday August 1st ~ Goodwood Day 2

i see Ryan gave up all his rides after falling off in the opener' date=' not happy dettori was on keene dancer but money was already down[/quote'] Same, i was never quite as confident either :unsure