Everton v Man UTD Monday 20th August 2012

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Everton v Man UTD Saturday 18th August 2012 Everton are notorious slow starters. You could not have a confident bet on them, especially against United. I fancy United to win this game, if it was in the 2nd half of the season, i would be very fearful, but all you have to do is look at Everton's starts to the past few seasons, they start very slowly.

Re: Everton v Man UTD Saturday 18th August 2012 I as a Everton currently don't fear Utd. But all the unknown on whether we sell one of our best players Baines or Fellaini I would certainly hold my bet. If the current squad stay. We are more than capable of scoring with Jelavic playing and we can defend when asked.

Re: Everton v Man UTD Saturday 18th August 2012 If it was later in the year I would favour Everton to upset United in the shape of a draw or loss! However, as already mentioned, Everton totally suck at the beginning of the year. In fact, I would wonder if they have ever won their opening game in the prem in the last few seasons? Usually I wouldn't bet on a teams history over a part of a season, but because they have been woeful continually at the beginning of the season in the last few years, I don't see why this should change now, especially seeing as the personnel (coaching and players) has remained the same. United's early form is nothing to write home about, but they should eek out a win here, so I'll take them at 1.95 on betfair

Re: Everton v Man UTD Saturday 18th August 2012 Everton 0 QPR 1 Blackburn 1 Everton 0 Everton 1 Arsenal 6 Everton 2 Blackburn 3 Everton 2 Wigan 1 Everton 2 Watford 1 Everton 0 Man Utd 2 Everton 1 Arsenal 4 Arsenal 2 Everton 1 Everton 2 Spurs 2 Charlton 1 Everton 2 Leeds 2 Everton 0 Everton 1 Man Utd 1 Everton 0 Aston Villa 0 Everton 1 Crystal Palace 2 Everton 2 Newcastle 0 Chelsea 0 Everton 0 Everton 2 Aston Villa 2 Southampton 0 Everton 2 Everton 1 Sheff Wed 1 Nottingham Forest 2 Everton 1 Everton 2 Leeds 3 Coventry 2 Everton 0 These are Everton's results from their first match of the season going back to around 1990. 12 losses, 5 wins, 6 draws. They have lost their last 4 opening day fixtures in a row.

Re: Everton v Man UTD Saturday 18th August 2012 I cannot see Utd not finishing in the top 2 next year. Chelsea have gone on a bit of a spending spree that doesn't look like stopping anytime soon but they will need to integrate those members into their team. Plus they lost Drogba, who cannot be replaced by any other play they try and buy. Mr. Chelsea (Terry) is almost past it, but we know how his ego will never let him be dropped, even if it would be positive for the team. Remember Utd missed their best CB for most of the season and had one of their most important central midfielders (especially in big games) AWOL for most of the season. I do agree their spending power has waned in the last couple of years but they will still comfortably finish top 2. BTW losing at home to Blackburn 3-2 at 22-1?! You got ripped off there!

Re: Everton v Man UTD Saturday 18th August 2012

I cannot see Utd not finishing in the top 2 next year. Chelsea have gone on a bit of a spending spree that doesn't look like stopping anytime soon but they will need to integrate those members into their team. Plus they lost Drogba, who cannot be replaced by any other play they try and buy. Mr. Chelsea (Terry) is almost past it, but we know how his ego will never let him be dropped, even if it would be positive for the team. Remember Utd missed their best CB for most of the season and had one of their most important central midfielders (especially in big games) AWOL for most of the season. I do agree their spending power has waned in the last couple of years but they will still comfortably finish top 2. BTW losing at home to Blackburn 3-2 at 22-1?! You got ripped off there!
I agree. He is quick to criticise United and say they are on the decline, but not once has he brought the injuries United suffered last season into the equation, United were playing their B team for half of the games. Blackburn were 22/1 to win the game that day mate, don't think he was referring to the 3-2 scoreline.

Re: Everton v Man UTD Saturday 18th August 2012 I'll probably take the draw or Everton on the AH. Although as pointed out above Everton are notoriously slow starters, games between these two and particularly at Goodison Park are always good contests and this is probably Everton's second derby for them after Liverpool. I don't think there is particularly good value on United to win but at 11/10 or 6/5 i would be tempted, however i can't see United drifting in this game. Everton are a funny side at home in the fact that they often lose to lesser teams like QPR or Wigan yet often beat the stronger teams like Chelsea or City. They always seem to up their game against the big teams and particularly against United possibly still because of the Rooney connection. Everton are one of if not the best side out of the top six and have a solid defence and don't usually leak goals and they in fact had the joint third best defence in the league last season where they only conceded 40 goals and only Man United and Man City conceded fewer. In midfield Everton have some good players in the likes of Fellaini, Osman and Rodwell as well as Tim Cahill and they may also sign Steven Pienaar from Spurs. Up front, judging from last season they look to have a real goalscorer in Nikica Jelavic. United are still a very good team and have not weakened from last season so will be challenging for the title again. Their defence is still very solid when Vidic is fit to partner Ferdinand but the only position up for grabs is at right back where they need reinforcements IMO. Their midfield looks class with Valencia, Young Nani and Giggs to choose from on the wings and Scholes or Kagawa and Carrick in the middle. Then up front they have Rooney and Welbeck with Hernandez on the bench and whilst this looks like a side easily capable of beating Everton, it certainly won't be easy particularly as it is at Goodison Park and the crowd will be pumped up for this one. I expect this to be a cracking game and the best one of the opening weekend of the season and i think Everton may nick a draw and at 11/4 @ Stan James it looks good value but i may decide to choose Everton on an AH for a safer bet. Another bet that looks good to me is the under 2.5 goals 1.85 @ Bet Victor. Out of all of the premier league games at Goodison Park between these two since the premier league began this bet would have won 12 out of 20 games (60%) but if you include cup games at Goodison Park during this time then it would have won in 14 out of 22 games (64%). Also, as this is the first game of the season i can see both sides being a bit more cautious and i would think that neither side would be too dissatisfied with a point although Everton would be slightly happier. Both sides had very good defensive records last season with United conceding 33 goals and Everton conceding just 40. Also, it is important to note that Everton had the second best defensive home record conceding just 15 goals and United had the best defensive away record conceding only 14 goals.

Re: Everton v Man UTD Saturday 18th August 2012 Thanks mate :) Agree the odds are too short on United, particularly as its the first game of the season away against a very decent team. Never feel entirely comfortable betting on an Everton game though as they can be so unpredictable and inconsistent lol.

Re: Everton v Man UTD Saturday 18th August 2012

It was a friendly. A warm up. A mean-nothing game. You cannot judge a team on a pre-season match.
Agree. Teams use pre-season friendlies to try youngsters, new formations and tactics. That's why in my opinion you have two options at the beginning of the season: 1) use head to head stats between the teams; or 2) place no bets in the first 2-3 opening round of fixtures. I am still undecided which approach will I chose :)

Re: Everton v Man UTD Saturday 18th August 2012 Aidymac, I'm with you on this one, a meaningless friendly to boost Uniteds commerical revenue in Africa, nothing more, nothing less. As you can see from the team Sir Alex put out,

Lindegaard; Veseli (Vermijl 46), Wootton, Ferdinand, Brady (Blackett 58); Carrick, Scholes (Tunnicliffe 70), Lingard (Petrucci 70); Hernandez (Kagawa 89), Berbatov, Macheda (Anderson 58). So out of that first day of the season you'd expect probably Carrick and possibly scholes depending on Cleverley's olympic showing or possibly Anderson.

Re: Everton v Man UTD Saturday 18th August 2012 Friendlies do have meaning, but only to the lesser clubs in my opinion. I agree partly with Hastgill that Man City won't give a rat's arse about their results, it's just a jog around the park, however teams in Championship, L1 and L2, totally different story for me.

What Paul was saying is generally correct though. The further down the ladder you go the more changes there are in the close season, greater player movements, and a lot more unknowns. With managers trying out different tactics, seeing what works, playing multiple trialists, and working with what they have. It's not the same with clubs at the top of the pile because a Mancini or ferguson knows their best 11, knows the tactics they will be using as the season progresses, and they don't try out trialists during these friendlies. For clubs at the top of the pile these friendlies are primarily used for Fitness, and/or financial gain, or increasing their brand name.

Re: Everton v Man UTD Saturday 18th August 2012 I tend to like United away to Everton tbh. Got a comfy win there last year 1-0 Hernandez, I think that was after the 6-1 and got United on a winning run. I'm not a big one for looking at past records mind you as many matches are irrelevant but United have a great record there(14wins 3 draws and 3 defeats in the PL era). For the stats lovers. I'm more of a gut feeling punter, and I fancy United to get off to a fast start to the season in a bid to regain the title from City, Ferguson has talked about the need to do that and compared it to when Chelsea won a couple of leagues and United had to get out of the blocks fast to finally overturn them in 06/07, United were top for virtually the whole season. Everton tend to be a tough nut to crack though, we all know that, but they are liable to throw in sloppy form early in the season. Price will dictate, if the season started tomorrow I'd back United at current price above 1.90 tbh, see what it's like in a month, won;t take it at 1.80 but maybe you guys will pile on Everton and drive United up to evens.......;):hope

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Everton v Man UTD Saturday 18th August 2012 Monday CET 21.00 Everton-Manchester United over 2,25 @1,77 5/10 sbobet (play this till over 2,5 @1,80) I can't wait for this one. Manchester United will make their first match away at Everton. Everton lost Cahill and Rodwell, both of them were important players. They were able to sign Pienaar on a permanent basis from Tottenham and they used Glasgow's downgrade to sign striker Naismith. Nothing special so, one player stayed and an average player came in. Everton is sweating over the fitness of midfielder Fellaini, who is having a race with fitness until monday night. Furthermore Gibson is a doubt for this one. Everton is already having a very small squad and with these possible absentees it will be even smaller. Since the arrival of Jelavic in january, they have finally a solid striker up front who scores. But the defense is another concern in my eyes after their small squad. Left back Baines is solid but their centre backs Heitinga and Jagielka are ok, but nothing extraordinary. Their right back position is weak with Hibbert. Coach Moyes is closing on striker Mirallas from Olympiakos, but that doesn't help them to strengthen their defense. Manchester United was very unlucky to lose the title on the last day, just by the goal difference and also in the last second. Ferguson did improve the squad with Japanese midfielder Kagawa, who alreday showed what he is capable of. Everyone is delighted to have him as he is a really strong technical player who is causing a lot of upsets to defenders. To add further power to the offense, Sir Alex Ferguson was able to reach an agreement with Arsenal over the signing of Robin van Persie who was the Premier League's best scorer last season with 30 goals, 3 goals better than the second best scorer Wayne Rooney. Ferguson assured the Dutch striker that he will be partnering Rooney and that Rooney will play a bit behing him, in a more central role. These two players will found the biggest striking duo in the Premier League, even better than the duo of Agüero and Tevez. Ferguson said: “I always consider 1998-99 as the gold standard of Manchester United strikers. We had Cole, Yorke, Sheringham and Solskjaer, and when we needed a goal one of them would deliver. It happened so many times. I was always confident whoever I was sending on could grab us a goal. But the options I’m now starting to see in this squad remind me of that era.” Now, they got Welbeck and Hernandez on the bench and this is an even bigger strikeforce than 98/99 in my eyes. Additionally they have still plenty of other highly good offensive players with Nani, Young, Valencia and the already mentioned Kagawa. Central midfielder Cleverley had a really good pre-season so far, showing his skills at the Olympics. The only part that seems a bit vulnerable to me is the defense. Vidic was out for a very long time and admitted that he needs still a few games to be at his maximum. The right back position belongs to Rafael, but I doubt that he will play in this match, or at least not from the beginning, as he hadn't much time to recover after the Olympics where he competed. So Valencia could take that place. Other than that, Evans, Smalling and Jones are injured so there aren't any other choices. Offense is working as we saw at their last friendly against Hannover at the weekend when United won 4-3. I cannot see how Everton wants to stop United from scoring. It depends how Ferguson will play, maybe van Persie will jump immediately into the starting line up or he will prefer Welbeck for this match or just playing Rooney up on his own with Kagawa behing him. But I expect him to play with 2 strikers, with Rooney and van Persie (maybe Welbeck) but as Ferguson wants the deal to be done before the weekend, I suggest he will throw van Persie immediatled into the team. I cannot see anthing else than at least 3 goals in this one, the Toffees won't prevent United from scoring. I expect Everton to fight and to score once, my call 1-2, 1-3 GL possbile line up for the Red Devils: ------------de Gea---------- Valencia-Ferdinand-Vidic-Evra --------Carrick-Cleverley------- Nani--------------------Young --------Rooney--------------- ---------------van Persie-----

Re: Everton v Man UTD Saturday 18th August 2012 Everton have made a couple of shrewd signings in the transfer window and I think they will find themselves in the top ten again this season. Manchester United have a good record at Goodison park loosing just once in the last 6 matches in the league. They have a number of different formations and variations of them they can play. I would expect them to got with a 4-4-1-1 shape with possibly Kagawa in behind Rooney but that remains to be seen. The quality of attacking options available to Ferguson is vast and varied giving him options to change from the bench if things aren't going there way. Everton will look to get the ball down and feed Jelavic who was a very good signing for them last season. With Pienaar back this gives them extra creativity going forward. Defensively they are still abit weak and need strengthening. Kagawa will be an important player for Man United giving them extra creativity in the middle of the pitch. Vidic returning is like a new signing and improves there defence massively. With players like De Gea and Welbeck having a season under there belts they will be better players this season. I feel the strength of attacking options available to Manchester United will be too much for Everton to cope with. Man United 1.91 WilliamHill

Re: Everton v Man UTD Saturday 18th August 2012 the odds for team-vs-team corners are 2.62, 7.50, 1.66 (Everton, ManU) actually at bet365. last season everton won the corners 4:1 at home (ManU have won the game), also the year before: 7:5 corners for Everton, game: 3:3. So, i think, the chance Everton will win the corners are very good for the odd of 2.62.

Re: Everton v Man UTD Saturday 20th August 2012 What does everyone think about the odds? Do you reckon that the odds for a home win will get longer or shorter? I was also wondering about the draw? I guess the draw is mostly likely to stick where it is, but does it stand to reason that as the game approaches and people lump on Man Utd that the odds for an Everton win should lengthen a little bit by the time it kicks off?

Re: Everton v Man UTD Saturday 20th August 2012

What does everyone think about the odds? Do you reckon that the odds for a home win will get longer or shorter? I was also wondering about the draw? I guess the draw is mostly likely to stick where it is' date=' but does it stand to reason that as the game approaches and people lump on Man Utd that the odds for an Everton win should lengthen a little bit by the time it kicks off?[/quote'] I expect the odds for Everton to get longer as the public will bet on the Red Devils as van Persie arrived.

Ferdinand is injured and will be out for up to 2 months' date=' Carrick will play along Vidic in the heart of the defence. Scholes should partner either Cleverley or Anderson in central midfield now.[/quote'] Really? Carrick in central defence when we have Jones, Smalling and Evans? Don't think Carrick will be there. Scholes will start on the bench i reckon. Nani, Kagawa, Carrick, Young in midfield i reckon. Valencia right back imo.

Really? Carrick in central defence when we have Jones, Smalling and Evans? Don't think Carrick will be there. Scholes will start on the bench i reckon. Nani, Kagawa, Carrick, Young in midfield i reckon. Valencia right back imo.
Jones, Smalling and Evans are injured. So it has to be Carrick. He did play there in friendlies this pre-season. I expect therefore Scholes plus Ando/Cleverley.

Jones' date=' Smalling and Evans are injured. So it has to be Carrick. He did play there in friendlies this pre-season. I expect therefore Scholes plus Ando/Cleverley.[/quote'] We could see Rooney drop back to midfield and Welbeck.RVP up front?

We could see Rooney drop back to midfield and Welbeck.RVP up front?
Ferguson said he wants to wait saturday's and sunday's training sessions to see if van Persie can start the game or begin on the bench. If van Persie is on the bench, I just can 2 things: either Rooney will play on his own up front with Kagawa behind him or he will play along with Welbeck, with Welbeck playing up front. I red somewhere that van Persie should be playing more in front of Rooney, but they will logically change their positions during the matches.

I dont care for Utd's missings against everton . I think citys' win today will give them enough motivation to score at least once the first half. I m not so sure for the final result as i think defensivelly they will need some luck specially in the 2nd half with the support Fellainis' team will have from their fans. So the value is on "1rst half Man Utd ah -0,25" @ 1,98 in pinnacle

Re: Everton v Man UTD Monday 20th August 2012 I am on UTD here. With the signing of RVP I can see a potent strike force this season similar to the 99 season. Recent times have seen UTD do well against Everton and I dont see that changing tonight. Man utd with Ladbroked 10 points @ 1.90