** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Spain v France > June 23

Re: Spain v France > June 23

"Everyone's talking up England"? I don't think so. :) Blanc's done about as well as he can do given the situation. I was buying into the idea this French team could be a real surprise force before these championships started. But I've really been disappointed with them. I feel confident Spain will really expose their defence tonight and will bury a few of the chances. I have no confidence in backing France despite the value people are writing about on here. Spain are just better as a team playing in front of the defenders than France. You can tell Blanc fears the worst in his press conferences and he has every reason to.
By 'everyone's talking up England' I meant the English press. I agree Spain are a better team than France. France can be good but they need to up their game tonight. The question is, will they do it?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Spain v France > June 23 Spain V France You'd expect Spain to have a lot of possession here but the price on France seems to be an insult and looks value at 4-1. The mood in the camp could go one of two ways - the players sulk, put in no kind of performance and get thumped or they unite as one and put in a real team performance. Apparently Diarra laid into the strikers verbally after the Sweden loss and Ben Arfa was ranting at Blanc while others seem annoyed with Nasri and there is a suggestion he'll be dropped (see todays RP, page 150). Giroud and Valbuena might make the first team tonight and many would suggest Mexes being out is a plus rather than a negative, some on here said he was dire before the tournament. Spain seem to lack firepower with an in and out of form Torres their main man and Llorente not getting game time. That could be as someone mentioned on here pre tournament that he's nursing an injury and needs an operation. They seem to want to walk the ball into the net and although they will create plenty of chances do they have the firepower to convert them? I feel the key player will be Iniesta for Spain, everyone raves on about Xavi but Iniesta is the unsung hero for me. Benzema will have a point to prove against players he faces regularly for Madrid and he hasn't had a bad tournament but is still to get off the mark. He looks overpriced for 1st goal to me as the main goal threat for France. I really find this one hard to predict if it will be an open type of game that ends something like 2-1 or 3-2 or a really tight game that is decided by one goal. Suggested Bets: France to win 4-1 Bet365 Benzema 1st goal 9-1 PaddyPower

Re: Spain v France > June 23 Spain v France Spain have been decent if unspectacular so far, the lack of a trusted striker hasn't helped, when Torres has been on the pitch they have certainly looked more comfortable and threatening. The mass of midfielders Spain are often playing and the exceptional quality they possess means that the possession is often monopolized by the Spanish, Xavi, Iniesta, Silva are all great players and among the best midfielders in the competition. This is likely to be Spains toughest game so far, Italy gave them a tough ride but France are one of the dark horses for the competition and most seem mildly confident they may spring a surprise tonight, the particular bet I am looking at relates to ball possession as I think the line on Spain is set far too high and their reputation is proceeding the likely possession they will have. Lets look at both sides games so far: Spain 1 Italy 1: Ball Possession Spain 60% Italy 40% The Italy game was pretty even and Italy even had chances to win, but they (like England) are set up as a counter attacking side, they were unlikely to match Spain in this department. Spain 4 Ireland 0: Ball Possession Spain 66% Ireland 34% The Ireland game was the most one sided of the tournament, Ireland were massively outclassed by a far superior side. Ireland hardly seemed to have the ball at all for any period of time and just hit it long when they did have it losing it straight away, so it is somewhat surprising their ball possession was as high as it was. Spain 1 Croatia 0: Ball Possession Spain 64% Croatia 36% Quite similar to the Italy game, Croatia had a few attacks that might have brought the opening goal, but the quality difference was always there and Spain seemed to have another gear they could go to and sealed the win in the last few minutes. France 1 England 1: Ball Possession France 60% England 40% Quite similar to Spain's opener, on paper their hardest game of the group and while they dominated the ball against a counter attacking side they could only open with a draw. France 2 Ukraine 0: Ball Possession France 52% Ukraine 48% A fairly routine win against a side they would be expected to beat, the possession was pretty equal but France were very clinical when they had the ball. Ukraine overperformed in all their games possession wise boosted by the home support, unfortunately they struggled to do much with it. France 0 Sweden 2: Ball Possession France 57% Sweden 43% A reasonable shock against a decent Swedish side who underperformed in the other two games. In a reverse of the Ukraine game they seemed more comfortable with the ball but couldn't do much with it. If we look at all those games we have two sides who have had more possession in each of their games, France have surprised me by having a formation that only has one up front (Benzema) but even he doesn't stay as far forward as you would expect often dropping back to link with the midfield, certainly not a fulcrum like other lone strikers we have seen. Spain are expected to be similar with Torres up front on his own. While I would be surprised to see France have more ball than Spain they are not going to sit back and be dominated for the 90 minutes, Spain have yet to beat this line in any of their games so far even the Ireland game which they dominated beyond question, I don't think this line justifies how the game is likely to pan out as I don't think Spain will dominate France as they have other sides, I say 60% would have been a fair line, I would be surprised to see them have 67% of the ball in this one. SPAIN BALL POSSESSION UNDER 66.5% - 1.83 - betvictor - 10 Points

The fact that Spain conceded an average of 3 corners against Italy and Croatia (arguably of similar class to France) would make me cautious about this.
This bet looked good to me at first but another thing to note, the Spanish really like to pass the ball around (even in defense), so they tend not to concede corners in situations where other teams would have booted the ball out for one.

Re: Spain v France > June 23 Spain -0.5 @ 1.85 Bet365 (4 points) First Booking: Yohan Cabaye @15.00 Skybet (0.5 points) To be booked: Yohan Cabaye @ 3.50 Skybet (1 point) I've been deliberating this one for a while and finally decided on Spain. My initial instincts were to take France on the handicap which was available on +0.75 line which was too big. France have been getting backed though and the line has come back to 0.5 which is more sensible. My main concern with this French side is that they are used to having much of the possession in their matches. Blanc was mocking England before their match saying that only 1 side would be trying to play football. That suggests to me that he wont be prepared to set up in the defensive manner that is needed to stifle the Spanish. If he trys to play his normal game and match Spain i think they could struggle. Bizarrely, Sweden had a lot of the possession in their last match and they ended up winning 2-0. Now Spain won't dominate this like they do against lesser teams but they will definitely have more of the possession and I'm not sure how France will handle it. It looks like Spain will be starting with Torres up front again and though his form is a little inconsistent, he is at least a proper striker and has already bagged 2 goals. With Spain likely to win the midfield battle, I think they will create enough chances to win this match with a proper striker up front. Blanc Is too proud to try and do a defensive job here and I can understand why people might sIDE with France here but my money will be on the Spanish to take advantage of their superior possession. As a couple of side bets I'm having a dabble on Cabaye to pick up a booking. In that first match against England he was very lucky not to get booked and could have picked one up on at least 3 separate occasions. Ironically it is the same ref today but i don't think he will keep getting away with it. It will be a tough battle in the middle and with him having to do a loot of chasing I thinks there is a strong chance of committing fouls. Some players are on bookings but he has a clean slate so won't be quite as weary of going into challenges and missing the next match. With much of the game to be played in the middle of the park, I think a midfielder is likely to pick up the first booking and 14/1 looks too big on Cabaye.

Spain -0.5 @ 1.85 Bet365 (4 points) First Booking: Yohan Cabaye @15.00 Skybet (0.5 points) To be booked: Yohan Cabaye @ 3.50 Skybet (1 point) As a couple of side bets I'm having a dabble on Cabaye to pick up a booking. In that first match against England he was very lucky not to get booked and could have picked one up on at least 3 separate occasions. Ironically it is the same ref today but i don't think he will keep getting away with it. It will be a tough battle in the middle and with him having to do a loot of chasing I thinks there is a strong chance of committing fouls. Some players are on bookings but he has a clean slate so won't be quite as weary of going into challenges and missing the next match. With much of the game to be played in the middle of the park, I think a midfielder is likely to pick up the first booking and 14/1 looks too big on Cabaye.
This looks like a great choice thanks!

Re: Spain v France > June 23 Spain - France | Over 2.5 2.4@unibet! (8/10) Have to agree with thouse who think this is an over game. France should played Italy in QF, but were defeated by Sweden, and can kick only themselves. Now they found in the spot where neither team wants to be, Spain ahead. Lourent Blanc being as a defender know that the first thing is to defend, and you get 1,2 chances in the game for sure ... But you can't defent all the time, especially like team Spain is on the other side. I think that Barca and Spain playing very similar football nowadays, control the ball, pressure when the ball is lost. And now more and more teams starting really get into teams like Spain and Barca, all know that you can't defend all the time and must take your chances and just play football like opponents do. I think that today France may even overcome Spain by play if not by result, but just by play or trying to do something really good. They were awfull with sweeds, yes, but there were that psichological passiveness from France, because they knew they are through ... Spain this tournament doesn't show anything that i can see them on top of Euro 2012, and France may have a big chance today go through ... but i'll stick with more goals here. gl !

Re: Spain v France > June 23 Im also betting on the Corners definately think that France are going to get a few this match even though Spain will have much of the possesion I believe that France will get chances of their own. Another bet I like is first goal after the 33rd minute because I thinnk that both teams will be not wanting to make a mistake early on therefore not many early goals being scored. France over 4 corners $2.37 @sportsbet First goal after 33rd Minute $2.08

Re: Spain v France > June 23 I'm not sure how reliable it is but Goal.com has said the French media is reporting Reveillere at right-back so Debuchy can play in a three of M'Vila and Cabaye, with Malouda, Ribery and Benzema up front. Rumours Nasri sent home :lol Might be worth not placing bets until the line-ups are out, as that's a park-the-bus side right there.

Re: Spain v France > June 23 Heard Chris Waddle talking about this game on BBC Radio Five Live at lunchtime. He reckoned that both sides will have a lot of men in midfield, but that France would have more width. I think he thought that this would give France a chance.

I'm not sure how reliable it is but Goal.com has said the French media is reporting Reveillere at right-back so Debuchy can play in a three of M'Vila and Cabaye, with Malouda, Ribery and Benzema up front. Rumours Nasri sent home :lol Might be worth not placing bets until the line-ups are out, as that's a park-the-bus side right there.
Might well have some foundation, L'Equipe has this line-up also. Not too sure about Nasri being sent home though, think we would have heard more about it if that were the case! Certainly looks (from a reasonably decent source) that Blanc is going to change tactics to stop Spain having too much space in the final third.

Re: Spain v France > June 23 Hard one to call IMHO........SPAIN as we all know,very one dimensional,1000 tip a taps thru the middle before they are allowed to have a chance of scoring a goal,TORRES clearly has lost a yard pace so the aspect of the ball over the top getting in behind the FRENCH defence and being able to utilize TORESS pace is no longer a potent weapon as it once was.They seem relunctant to play any other way. The FRENCH have not been over impressive either,also they play in way thats similar to SPAIN,but at least they can adapt and get crosses in from wide.A draw is the call IMHO....

Re: Spain v France > June 23 Spain vs France OVER 2.5 goals @ 2.62 (Pinnacle) Bookies obviously not expecting too many goals in this one, but 2.62 just looks too big of a price to me. Both teams haven't looked that great, but the same can be said about their defenses. France and Spain have got a lot of talented and skilled players and can produce goals out of nowhere. Not playing it as big as Germany yesterday, but just a smaller value play.

Re: Spain v France > June 23 To have a hope of getting something out of today's match France must form a cohesive unit on the pitch with each player working for each other, and sadly France is only a team on paper, there is mistrust between the defenders and those further up the pitch, the former claiming that the forwards are neglecting their defensive duties. Diarra was not happy at all with the work rate of Nasri, Benzema against Sweden and Mexes even claimed that he got a yellow and was subsequently suspended for tonight's clash because he did not get enough help at the back. Add to that ego clashes between Nasri, Benzema and Ben Arfa you can't help thinking that serenity is an utopia in the French camp. On purely the footballing side, the french first choice defending partnership looked shaky and now Koscielny will have to form a novel partnership with Rami, just in front of them Diarra will make way for M'vila presumably, and the lack of experience of big matches of Cabaye and M'vila doesn't bode well for the midfield tenaciousness of France. At the front Benzema has been firing blanks for some time now for his national team and it is a bit presumptuous in my opinion to expect him to rise like the phenix tonight. As for the Spanish team I cannot list the qualities of their players, it would fill a page and are well documented anyway. Forget about the supposedly lackluster performance against Croatia, the knock out stage is like the beginning of a new tournament for them. This does not apply in my opinion to France however as the rifts are too large and won't be bridged in a matter of days. All in all I can see a clear Spanish victory @ 5/6 Ladbrokes.

Re: Spain v France > June 23 Main Bet: France +0.5 vs Spain @ 2.05 France are allegedly a team in turmoil after more rows so therefore I expect them to pull off a blinder in this match. Aided by the fact that the cumbersome (though 1st choice) Mexes is unavailable to the relief of French fans which gives Koscileny a run out, a man who had an excellent season with Arsenal. Ribery is inconsistent but is still a quality wide player, something which France should exploit on the rare ocassions they have the ball. I can see this match going into extra time, hence for me the odds represent value. Side Bet: France to win in 90 vs Spain @ 5.1 France odds too high for me, they usually pull off one exceptional performance in a cup, don't see why not today. (Small bets on Spain 1-0 1-1 and under 1.5 goals @ 6.8, 7.6 and 2.9 respectively) :hope

Re: Spain v France > June 23 France have named a negative looking team, which suggests they will let Spain have the ball and try to hit them on the counter attack. With Spain playing without a recognised striker again I can see this game being low scoring. With all the problems in the France squad I think they will struggle to put in a good performance. I can't see France winning this with a draw being the best they can hope for over 90 minutes. As Spain's price has drifted I see some value on them at odds of 1.91 Spain 1.91 (5/10) BetVictor

Re: Spain v France > June 23 The draw and France appear to be being backed but not confidently. Current best odds: Spain 19/20 (BetVictor/Stan James), Draw 5/2 (Blue SQ), France 4/1 (Betfred/Boylesports/Ladbrokes/Stan James/totesport/William Hill) I thought Italy vs. England could be the worst match of the tournament but Spain playing with no strikers and France potentially playing defensively could mean extra-time is on the cards. It does look like a low-scoring game and not a repeat of their last meaningful competitive encounter back in World Cup 2006 when France won 3-1.

Spain @ 1.87 (Betfair) Don't understand the love for the French here. They've played well for about five minutes in this tournament, when they got their two goals against a hapless Ukraine. Ribery, Nasri and especially Benzema have disappointed, and they have the air of a side that's thinking about their summer hols. Spain have been little better, but what makes Spain the best side in the world isn't tika-taka, 5-0, playing-the-opponent-off-the-park-performances, it's grinding out 1-0's when they're not at their best, like against Croatia, and the numerous other times they've done it since Euro 2008.
Bad performance from the French.

Spain were awful. France were 10 times worse. Benzema should be put to sleep.
Yeah Spain were awful..:sad..fcuk me, if you think that you don't have a clue. The excellence Spain exhibit has become standard, and is therefore no longer appreciated. You are as bad as the journo's who constantly question Del Bosque, France didn't really have a go but they didn't have the ball for long enough to make a difference. Spain are a far superior side, an exceptional side, don't take them for granted.

Spain v France Total Goals - Over 1.5 @ 1.475 (Bet365) Superb value this one, both teams are capable of scoring goals at any time against any opposition. We all know Spain's passing game, leading to France sitting back a bit - however France have pacy players who can hit Spain on the counter attack when (if...) Spain's passing game breaks down. Spain have so many quality players with goal potential coming from all over the squad. Odds for this are very good, and too good to ignore. Stake: 10 points
:beer

Yeah Spain were awful..:sad..fcuk me, if you think that you don't have a clue. The excellence Spain exhibit has become standard, and is therefore no longer appreciated. You are as bad as the journo's who constantly question Del Bosque, France didn't really have a go but they didn't have the ball for long enough to make a difference. Spain are a far superior side, an exceptional side, don't take them for granted.
Spain were crap tonight. If you couldn't see that, then you would want your head checked. They were nowhere near their best.

Spain were crap tonight. If you couldn't see that' date=' then you would want your head checked. They were nowhere near their best.[/quote'] My point entirely. You class Spain by a different standard to all other international sides. They just beat the form side (other than Germany) of Europe 2-0 and its classed as boring, because they didn't steamroll them, should they have attacked for 90 mins and won 4-0, 5-0? Is that possible? The amount of clean sheets Spain have in the last few years has to be almost unparalleled. I don't think this Spanish side will be appreciated until its gone, imagine any other international side not playing a striker in a game like this! It will take a hell of a side to beat them..

Re: Spain v France > June 23 Spain are class, there's no denying that. However, France were absolutely shocking tonight and with the amount of posession Spain had, they should have won by 3 or 4 and if they did go and do that more, they would be liked more. I personally fell asleep during the match tonight, however I didn't watching Germany the previous night. The difference being Germany will go forward and finish teams off whereas Spain are content to pass the ball all night without necessarily doing too much with it.

My point entirely. You class Spain by a different standard to all other international sides. They just beat the form side (other than Germany) of Europe 2-0 and its classed as boring' date=' because they didn't steamroll them, should they have attacked for 90 mins and won 4-0, 5-0? Is that possible? The amount of clean sheets Spain have in the last few years has to be almost unparalleled. I don't think this Spanish side will be appreciated until its gone, imagine any other international side not playing a striker in a game like this! It will take a hell of a side to beat them..[/quote'] France couldn't string a pass together tonight.. They actually could not be any worse if they tried. Ribery, Benzema etc, you saw by their attitude that they didn't give a toss, there was no desire in the team. Spain were good in the first half, in the 2nd half they were dire and let France back into the game. Spain played 1 good game this tournament, against us, Ireland, and that is no mean feat. Spain were lucky to get through Croatia, this Spanish team is coming to the end of an era, they are nowhere near as good as they were 4 years ago, and they miss Villa bigtime.

France couldn't string a pass together tonight.. They actually could not be any worse if they tried. Ribery, Benzema etc, you saw by their attitude that they didn't give a toss, there was no desire in the team. Spain were good in the first half, in the 2nd half they were dire and let France back into the game. Spain played 1 good game this tournament, against us, Ireland, and that is no mean feat. Spain were lucky to get through Croatia, this Spanish team is coming to the end of an era, they are nowhere near as good as they were 4 years ago, and they miss Villa bigtime.
Must be the sign of a good team then, played one decent game and find themselves in the semi-finals..;)

Must be the sign of a good team then' date=' played one decent game and find themselves in the semi-finals..;)[/quote'] They are european cup and world cup champions. Of course they are a good team, i never said they weren't. All i said was they were pretty dire tonight, but i still fancy them to win it out, they hold possession really well when they put their mind to it.