Spain v Rep of Ireland - June 14

Re: Spain v Rep of Ireland Its so cheap now to lay spain I am starting to like that bet. Remember Switzerland in 2010? Ireland is a similar team and while their result vs croatia was not impressive, I still think their defense was solid and while I only saw 2 of croatias goals, they were very much fluke goals. And they had a bad day and bad luck with the refereeing decisions, and as such a bad result and now people have completely counted them out of the tournament. But I don't think these guys will let spain walk all over them, they will still want to prove themselves and if they draw spain and croatia doesn't beat italy then the group is still very much open. I think the Irish can find their groove and surprise spain and keep them at bay, and while they are not very likely to penetrate spains defense, they will always be a threat on set pieces and could possibly nick a goal. I think there will definitely be value in backing Ireland on some handicap, the +1.5 is over even money which is pretty sick considering a 1-0 win for Spain is quite likely. I go Ireland +1.5 @ 2.11 with Pinnacle Sports.

Re: Spain v Rep of Ireland After watching both teams in their first games I cannot agree with Nioreh about the ROI defence being rock solid. They seemed to be on the back foot from the kick off and allowed the Croatian midfield to dominate the game. Although the ROI had quite a few chances during the game they were always open at the back and I always got the feeling that Croatia could have stepped up another gear. Spain will punish the Irish a great deal more and will look to have the game in the bag and the points on the board by the end of the first half. Also, I feel that Shay Given is starting to look vulnerable in the Ireland goal. He has been a tremendous servant to his country but I feel he is looking suspect as he did at Aston Villa last season. It is for these reasons that I think that the 13/8 offered by Bet365 for over 1.5 goals in the 1st half is a great value bet.

Re: Spain v Rep of Ireland - June 14 Initial thoughts are that the value is on an Irish handicap or unders. Though they conceded 3 goals in their opening game, some were very fortunate and could have been avoided. However, The Irish will need to get at least a draw to progress, and even a draw will mean them needing to win against Italy. Ireland will need to go for it, though I doubt they will go crazy. I may even sniff a 1 - 0 scoreline here. Watching Spain play, they pass the ball around beautifully but sometimes in my opinion needs to be more direct. They can be frustrated by the Irish and I smell a potential 1 - 0 scoreline to Ireland. Though that's just mug instincts the bookies love. Though unders will be a decent price here I hope. I haven't looked at the odds yet for this one, still trying to sharpen my own odds but we'll see.

Re: Spain v Rep of Ireland While I do agree that Ireland is a very similar team to Switzerland, I don't expect any resemblance with the game from WC2010. At that time, it was an opening game in a supposedly easy group. This time it is the second game, just after the Spaniards fail to win against Italy, in a group with at least two other very tough contenders - Italy and Croatia. Spain realizes that failing to win against ROI will put them in a very nasty position. So, I think they will be 100% motivated and will push very hard from the beginning. Having said that, I am still not sure If I see any value in the game. Although I am pretty certain in Spain's victory, the price is not tempting. A "-1.5" handicap could be an option, but in case that Spain misses their opportunities in the first half (and as I've watched so much of them, I noticed that they tend to miss very easily clear-cut chances), a 1:0 scoreline will be very likely. I would wait until the line-ups are released. If Spain once again tries the "light forward" bull**** from the Italy game, I think I will back off. While if they use the likes of Llorente and Soldado, I will go for a "-1.5" handicap.

Re: Spain v Rep of Ireland

While I do agree that Ireland is a very similar team to Switzerland, I don't expect any resemblance with the game from WC2010. At that time, it was an opening game in a supposedly easy group. This time it is the second game, just after the Spaniards fail to win against Italy, in a group with at least two other very tough contenders - Italy and Croatia. Spain realizes that failing to win against ROI will put them in a very nasty position. So, I think they will be 100% motivated and will push very hard from the beginning. Having said that, I am still not sure If I see any value in the game. Although I am pretty certain in Spain's victory, the price is not tempting. A "-1.5" handicap could be an option, but in case that Spain misses their opportunities in the first half (and as I've watched so much of them, I noticed that they tend to miss very easily clear-cut chances), a 1:0 scoreline will be very likely. I would wait until the line-ups are released. If Spain once again tries the "light forward" bull**** from the Italy game, I think I will back off. While if they use the likes of Llorente and Soldado, I will go for a "-1.5" handicap.
Good post, especially the last part. I would say that even if Torres will play from the beginning I can see Spain scoring a number of goals here.

Re: Spain v Rep of Ireland Ireland @ 12/1? Would no one else consider this value? I certainly think that if these 2 teams played 13 games Ireland would win 1 or 2 if you take into consideration red cards, Spain underforming or Ireland just getting lucky. Maybe Im mad but I throw a couple of Quid on it. Ireland play better as underdogs, and I think they didnt give Croatia the respect they warranted and will revert to usual Trap tactics against Spain. Sure they could get hammered, but Iv seen bigger shocks in football at smaller prices.

Re: Spain v Rep of Ireland - June 14 ireland will cause spain problems and they will be hard to breakdown because they simply need a point to have any chance of beating their next opponent italy to have a chance of going through but its just asking too much. i don't expect them to play football but defending all night. i think eventually spain will find a way and win 2-0.

Re: Spain v Rep of Ireland - June 14 4pts Under 2.5 goals 21/20 BetVictor

I think Ireland will try and keep this tight and even a draw isn’t a bad result for them as they would fancy their chances against the Italians in the final match. One thing they can’t do is go gung ho at Spain and leave themselves wide open. Although their first match was high scoring, two of the goals came from set pieces and there was a bit of fortune about another. I think Ireland can pack midfield, keep this tight and even if they do lose, go down in a low scoring match. Full preview here:

http://www.punterslounge.com/spain-vs-republic-of-ireland-betting--irish-side-can-tighten-up-at-the-back-and-ensure-this-remains-low-scoring

Re: Spain v Rep of Ireland - June 14 I don't see any value on Spain or in goals market so I have decided to try betting on bookings. The referee for this game is Portuguese Pedro Proenca who shows plenty of cards. In the last 10 games he was in charge of only twice he showed just 1 yellow card, namely a friendly game between Angola and Macedonia, which ended 0-0 and a game in the Portuguese league between Uniao de Leria and Sporting which Sporting won 1-0. In his last 9 games he showed 44 yellow and 6 red cards. But it should be noted that one game was between Porto and Sporting, which alone produced 7 yellow and 3 red cards. He was in charge of 4 EURO 2012 qualifying games. Two of these games produced 4 yellow cards, while the other 2 produced 5 and 7 respectively. I think with so much at stake for both sides this game can easily produce at least 50 booking points (10 points for yellow card, 25 for red card). Bookmakers think that there is only 48% chance that this will happen, while I think that possibility of this happening is more than 60%. Over 45 Booking Points @ 2.05 ​William Hill

Re: Spain v Rep of Ireland

Ireland @ 12/1? Would no one else consider this value? I certainly think that if these 2 teams played 13 games Ireland would win 1 or 2 if you take into consideration red cards' date=' Spain underforming or Ireland just getting lucky. Maybe Im mad but I throw a couple of Quid on it. Ireland play better as underdogs, and I think they didnt give Croatia the respect they warranted and will revert to usual Trap tactics against Spain. Sure they could get hammered, but Iv seen bigger shocks in football at smaller prices.[/quote'] ireland 1:0 at 36.00 on betvictor think you will like that price.

Re: Spain v Rep of Ireland - June 14 I think after the debacle against Croatia, Ireland will be keen to keep their defence tight early on. I think Spain will probably start fairly slowly too, so there could be value in early 'unders' or maybe first half handicap on Ireland. As soon as a goal is scored, the game should open up of course as neither side will want to lose here, particularly Ireland.

Re: Spain v Rep of Ireland - June 14 I think Spain will beat Ireland tonight, I believe Ireland will sit back and play on the counter attack and can always nick a goal from a set piece but I think Spain will beat them and Keep a clean sheet. I also like the look of the Multi Corners for Spain I think they will get under 11.5 corners because play don't play the style of crosses and therefore wont win alot of corners. Spain Under 11.5 Corners $2.00 sportsbet Spain To Win to Nil $1.79

Re: Spain v Rep of Ireland - June 14 If Ireland are to score in this game surely it would be from a set piece, Spain aren't the biggest. Looking at some of the large prices on the Irish defenders to score first with Stan James: Richard Dunne 50/1 St Ledger 100/1 O'Shea 125/1 Does O'Shea go up for corners for the Irish? I seem to remember him picking up a goal or 2 for Man Utd.

Re: Spain v Rep of Ireland - June 14 Will make my Euros debut with this one ... - SPAIN -1.5AH v Republic of Ireland (Arena, Gdansk) @ 1.952 with panbet Not in agreement with anyone giving the Irish a sniff. I think they'll be right up against it tonight in Gdansk. I wasn't at all impressed with them against Croatia and this will be a harder match. Very little creativity in this side except for Aiden McGeady, and with manager Giovanni Trappatoni's reluctance to play James McClean because of his age and experience, I can't really see where Ireland will get a goal. Possibly a set-piece, or Spanish slackness, but I don't think the reigning champions will be slack. They need a win here. They don't want to be left in a vulnerable situation behind Croatia going into the final match, nor do they want to be sweating over the Italians when they play the Irish. They'll be taking this match seriously and I expect them to be clinical. Ireland will probably play the same way as Italy did in looking to get men behind the ball and pack the channels to stop Spain getting through. But guys like Keith Andrews and Glenn Whelan aren't good enough to do that for 90 minutes, and I look at the Irish defence and fear that Richard Dunne, Stephen Ward and John O'Shea are too slow and cumbersome to deal with the Spanish movement. Even if Fernando Torres doesn't start, I'd fear for the Irish with the movement, passing and speed of Andres Iniesta, Xavi, Cesc Fabregas and David Silva. And if the Spanish score, Ireland will have to open up, leaving space for the Spanish to do their work. Very ominous match for the Irish tonight ... I can only envisage a Spanish win by a few goals here. :hope

Re: Spain v Rep of Ireland - June 14 Irish were awfull vs. Croatia. Croatia looked shaky in the back and Ireland couldnt convert soemthing out of play. they wont have many chances today as spain will keep possesion. Spain has many possibilities in attack. false 9, Torres, Llorent or Negredo. All can posses a threat to the backline. It will be a wet deep pitch and spain will pass already tired Irish to sleep. Remember that many of the irisih had injury and fitness problems coming into the tournament. The team is also not that young anymore. The good thing is that this is a mus win game for spain already. I'm sure they are motivated and each of their palyers upfront looks good at the moment. No player totally out of form. Torres is often in good scoring positions and just found his master in Buffon(as many other players ;) ) Ireland, espacialy Keane, are not the same team like 3 years ago. Question is what bet to take. I fancy the simple hc -1, a big bet on the spain win and a punt on 2:0 CS

Re: Spain v Rep of Ireland - June 14 Spain -2.5 @ 3.20 bet365 Ireland's defence was shown up quite easily by Croatia and now face an even harder task with Spain in the second game. The Spanish will probably have learnt their lesson from the game with Italy and now look to start Torres, and with him being the focal point, then their midfield will be looking to play him in as much as possible. The Irish do not have the quality to match it with them, and hard to see where they can stop Spain, who after drawing the first game, will be looking to not only win, but win well, as they need to get some goals to improve their chances of finishing first in their group.

Re: Spain v Rep of Ireland - June 14 I struggle to see Ireland scoring here tbh, Spain's defence never really looks totally solid but I'd expect Spain to monopolise possession and more importantly, I doubt Ireland's ability to be effective on the break....these possession sides are always susceptible to counter-attacking sides as we've seen with Barcelona on numerous occasions, Spain at times aswell, Bilbao the same, even ourselves(Arsenal). I just can see Ireland struggling to make best use of the ball in the few opportunities they do have. Set-pieces possibly the best route.

Re: Spain v Rep of Ireland - June 14 Spain to win 1-0 @ 6.5 Spain to win 2-0 @ 5.5 Both with Paddy Power I very rarely bet correct scores, but I think there may be some slight value on the 1-0 and 2-0 correct scores in this game, if the Paddy Power offer of Spain a refund if Spain fail to win is used. The prices are 5.5 for 2-0 and 6.5 for 1-0. I simply believe these two scorelines are very likely, considering some of the obvious facts; Ireland do not score many, neither side concedes many. Unders looks therefore a strong possibility but I doubt very much Spain will fail to win here, so you may as well go for correct scores. 1-0 or 2-0 is a common result for Spain; 34% of their games since the start of the World Cup have ended in 1-0 or 2-0 victories. I think the 2-1, 3-1 and 3-0 scorelines are very poor value here, and therefore there is some value on 1-0/2-0, I realise that the bookies take high margins on this market, but this is made up for somewhat with Paddy Power's money back offer.

Re: Spain v Rep of Ireland - June 14 Correct Score: Spain 2-0 Ireland 6.2 @ Betfair - I think that this is a fairly likely score as Ireland's attack is not that great and whilst Spain's defence did not impress me against Italy i think that they are capable of keeping a clean sheet. Ireland's defence is normally quite solid but they were exposed against Croatia. Ireland will try to keep it tight and if Spain play without a recognised striker again then i think that Ireland are able of keeping Spain down to just 2 goals. Correct Score: Spain 3-0 Ireland 8.2 @ Betfair - Same as above reasoning. However, if Spain play with Torres, Llorente or Negredo then i think that they could score 3 easily. Ireland to lose against Spain and Italy 6/5 @ Betfair - I think this price is a little generous as i think that Ireland will find it very difficult to get anything from tonights game against Spain and if they lose then they are basically out already. Then they face Italy in their last game and Italy will still have something to play for and must win against Ireland and with Ireland not being able to qualify i think Italy's extra motivation will see them win.

Re: Spain v Rep of Ireland - June 14 Can only repeat what others have said, Spain should put a couple past a poor Ireland side who are devoid of any creativity due to the negative team selections from Trappotini. The Irish defence looked poor against Croatia who tore them apart and although I would expect Ireland to play even more defensively against Spain the creative play of Iniesta, Xavi, Silva and Alonso should be too much for Ireland to cope with. Spain -1.5 AH 1.78 Bet Victor

Re: Spain v Rep of Ireland - June 14 Spain should take this game over 2.5. Ireland vs Croatia went +3.5. but dont like the 1.7 price for +2.5 goals. Ireland will get some chances to score. Robbie Keane to score anytime @ 6.5 seems good value. (.25pt) Spain deciding to play a recognised striker today in Torres. He looks sharper than usual. Torres to score 2 or more @6 seems value too if Spain go over 2.5. (.25pt) Cant find value elsewhere, will wait for inplay, if spain dont score early will take them to go over 2.5 at higher odds. (William Hill)

Re: Spain v Rep of Ireland - June 14

I don't see any value on Spain or in goals market so I have decided to try betting on bookings. The referee for this game is Portuguese Pedro Proenca who shows plenty of cards. In the last 10 games he was in charge of only twice he showed just 1 yellow card, namely a friendly game between Angola and Macedonia, which ended 0-0 and a game in the Portuguese league between Uniao de Leria and Sporting which Sporting won 1-0. In his last 9 games he showed 44 yellow and 6 red cards. But it should be noted that one game was between Porto and Sporting, which alone produced 7 yellow and 3 red cards. He was in charge of 4 EURO 2012 qualifying games. Two of these games produced 4 yellow cards, while the other 2 produced 5 and 7 respectively. I think with so much at stake for both sides this game can easily produce at least 50 booking points (10 points for yellow card, 25 for red card). Bookmakers think that there is only 48% chance that this will happen, while I think that possibility of this happening is more than 60%. Over 45 Booking Points @ 2.05 ​William Hill
Another win for me today :beer

Spain should take this game over 2.5. Ireland vs Croatia went +3.5. but dont like the 1.7 price for +2.5 goals. Ireland will get some chances to score. Robbie Keane to score anytime @ 6.5 seems good value. (.25pt) Spain deciding to play a recognised striker today in Torres. He looks sharper than usual. Torres to score 2 or more @6 seems value too if Spain go over 2.5. (.25pt) Cant find value elsewhere, will wait for inplay, if spain dont score early will take them to go over 2.5 at higher odds. (William Hill)
Congrats, good pick.

Can only repeat what others have said, Spain should put a couple past a poor Ireland side who are devoid of any creativity due to the negative team selections from Trappotini. The Irish defence looked poor against Croatia who tore them apart and although I would expect Ireland to play even more defensively against Spain the creative play of Iniesta, Xavi, Silva and Alonso should be too much for Ireland to cope with. Spain -1.5 AH 1.78 Bet Victor
Another win. Well done to all those on the handicap

Spain -1.5 AH 1.78 Bet >Victor

Can only repeat what others have said, Spain should put a couple past a poor Ireland side who are devoid of any creativity due to the negative team selections from Trappotini. The Irish defence looked poor against Croatia who tore them apart and although I would expect Ireland to play even more defensively against Spain the creative play of Iniesta, Xavi, Silva and Alonso should be too much for Ireland to cope with.

Another win. Well done to all those on the handicap
Good call CiderHead :clap

Re: Spain v Rep of Ireland - June 14 Surprised how out of their depth Ireland have looked in the two games so far, was a massive difference in quality tonight was like watching Gillingham v Man Utd :lol.. Well done to all winners, didn't have the balls to back Spain on the handicap myself.

Spain -2.5 @ 3.20 bet365 Ireland's defence was shown up quite easily by Croatia and now face an even harder task with Spain in the second game. The Spanish will probably have learnt their lesson from the game with Italy and now look to start Torres, and with him being the focal point, then their midfield will be looking to play him in as much as possible. The Irish do not have the quality to match it with them, and hard to see where they can stop Spain, who after drawing the first game, will be looking to not only win, but win well, as they need to get some goals to improve their chances of finishing first in their group.
:D