Ireland v Croatia > June 10

Re: Ireland v Croatia > June 10 My first post - don't crucify me if you're not with me :) I think this game is difficult to predict - some kind of "lucky bag", everything could come out. For both teams this is a must-win game, so both teams will go forward. Ireland will try to get dangerous with long balls into the Croatian zone and prevent attacs with their good defence (with Dunne as a key player). I guess they will defend physical from the beginning to avoid an early goal by Croatia. I'm not the biggest fan of stats, but: Ireland committed in the qualification more fouls than any other team that is now in the tournament. So I'm focussing on cards: Ireland more than 2.5 cards @ 1.90 Bet365 (6/10) HC Cards Ireland -1 @ 2.87 Bet365 (4/10)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Ireland v Croatia > June 10 In qualifying Ireland gave away the most fouls of all the sides left in the competition. I can see them sitting back looking to break down Croatia on the counter attack and making use of set pieces. They will have to nulify the threat of Modric, Kranjcar and Jelavic if they are to get anything out of this. They will struggle to do this especially if Croatia try to hit them on the counter attack. Ireland Most Cards 2.16 Betfair

Re: Ireland v Croatia > June 10 This looks to be a very interesting tactical battle. Ireland under Trappatoni, are very conservative, will get players behind the ball and defend in solid lines. He wasn’t too happy with the performance against Hungary and this week he’s kept mentioning the need for one of the strikers to ensure they drop back into midfield when Croatia have the ball. The emphasis is very much on not losing here rather than going for the win. It’s a dangerous plan, it always is whatever the teams are but I do think Ireland have enough about them to make it happen. Whilst Croatia are a relatively attacking unit, with the absence of the hard working Olic and with Krancjar likely to start on the bench, I can’t see too many threats outside of Modric in the starting 11. Srna and Perisic are decent wide men and will get balls into the box but Ireland are well drilled with all of the back 4 possessing good aerial ability to snuff out the threats. With the central areas likely to be well packed I think Modric will also struggle to create chances. Ireland +0.5AH 1.78 at Victor Chandler (2.5 /10 units) :hope

Re: Ireland v Croatia > June 10 Over 2.5 @ 2.81 pinnacle Both teams will be looking at this game as one that they must win if they are to progress into the next round, so expect this to be a more open game than imagined. Croatia are not as strong at the back as they used to be and are vulnerable to quicker flankers which the Irish will use to get in and around them. However they have a class player in Modric and he can supply the balls for Jelavic to score, who had a very good second half of the season at Everton. He will be up against several defenders who he had played against and that should not worry him because if the supply is there from Modric or Srna and Perisic down the flanks, then he can score. The Irish individually are an average side but collectively they are very good and hard to break down. Like them to cause Croatia plenty of problems who did concede in two recent friendlies against Norway (drew 1-1) and Estonia (won 3-1). Note, that Ireland drew 1-1 at home to Estonia in the qualifiers, so can see both teams scoring here, and going for the winner

Re: Ireland v Croatia > June 10 Attack : Croatia have a very reasonably strong attack with Modric, Eduardo and Jelavic-all of whom have been in very good form. Ireland have experienced attackers in Robbie Keane and Aiden McGeady. Defense : Under Trappatoni, Ireland have developed defensive capabilities similar to Italy. They are unbeaten in the last 14 games, with 11 of them being clean sheets. They have only conceded 3 goals in the last 14 matches. Croatia's defence is nothing special. Motivation : Both teams have to play Spain and Italy next. Therefore, both have a very strong incentive to get three points. Weather : Poznan- Light drizzle with temperatures of 18-20 c Formations : Both likely to play 4-4-2 Starting line up : Notables: Croatia have Olic missing, which is a big blow for their attack. Ireland are relatively full strength, with Shay Given, Robbie Keane, and Aiden McGeady all fit. Number of fans : Both teams will have large sets of supporters. Arguably Irish will have the louder set. Referee : Bjorn Kuipers (NED)- very strict style and thus may lead to a cagey game Past form : As mentioned Ireland are unbeaten in the last 14 games. Also, 10 of their last 12 games have been under 2.50 goals. Croatia themselves have been in questionable form, they lost against Greece and Sweden. They've only kept 4 clean sheets in the last 10 games. Other : Both teams played last year and fought towards a 0-0 draw. However, this time around there is more to play for. -- SportingGuru says : Ireland are very tough team to break down and will most likley play conservative football. Croatia on the other hand play a more attacking style while possibly leaving a few holes in their defense. The main thing here is that both teams will want to win this game, because of the group they are in. Therefore, I think 0.5+ goals is very likely. But at the same time, while both teams will go for the win, I do not think it will be a high scoring game because of Ireland's style of play. Therefore, 1.5+ may be too risky. -- Good luck to all!:ok

Re: Ireland v Croatia > June 10 I made up my mind. Croatia to win. In Jelavic & Mandzukic we got two triple threat strikers who with the right supply can crush the Irish defense. Eduardo can come up with the vital goals too if we struggle.. We never sat back against the English and proven that we can win against the hard tackling British-style play. If Modric is on form I am confident of a 3-1 type scoreline. I fancy both to score & OVER 2.5 so make your pick ;)

Re: Ireland v Croatia > June 10

well its clear that you are irish supporter hence you analysis is quite swayed by your emotion. its normal that you want your country to the the best but if i were you i wouldn't bet on this match. i don't believe ireland is all that when it comes to tournaments. sure you might get a draw or two if your lucky but i can't see the republic of ireland winning any matches' date=' sorry. i have given my impartial analysis of the match[/quote'] Really? They have always managed somehow to get out of the group stages when they have made a tournament, and I remember them pushing Spain all the way in 2002... Not that there's much to go on as they haven't made many tournaments, and I agree that Croatia are probably the better side. But I believe Ireland can get at least a draw.

one more thing, for quite some time now, we don't have prosinecki on bench as an assistant. after he is gone, we just play much worse.
Yeah, but the play of Crvena Zvezda has improved... Welcome Kizo :ok
Attack : Croatia have a very reasonably strong attack with Modric, Eduardo and Jelavic-all of whom have been in very good form. Ireland have experienced attackers in Robbie Keane and Aiden McGeady. Defense : Under Trappatoni, Ireland have developed defensive capabilities similar to Italy. They are unbeaten in the last 14 games, with 11 of them being clean sheets. They have only conceded 3 goals in the last 14 matches. Croatia's defence is nothing special. Motivation : Both teams have to play Spain and Italy next. Therefore, both have a very strong incentive to get three points. Weather : Poznan- Light drizzle with temperatures of 18-20 c Formations : Both likely to play 4-4-2 Starting line up : Notables: Croatia have Olic missing, which is a big blow for their attack. Ireland are relatively full strength, with Shay Given, Robbie Keane, and Aiden McGeady all fit. Number of fans : Both teams will have large sets of supporters. Arguably Irish will have the louder set. Referee : Bjorn Kuipers (NED)- very strict style and thus may lead to a cagey game Past form : As mentioned Ireland are unbeaten in the last 14 games. Also, 10 of their last 12 games have been under 2.50 goals. Croatia themselves have been in questionable form, they lost against Greece and Sweden. They've only kept 4 clean sheets in the last 10 games. Other : Both teams played last year and fought towards a 0-0 draw. However, this time around there is more to play for. -- SportingGuru says : Ireland are very tough team to break down and will most likley play conservative football. Croatia on the other hand play a more attacking style while possibly leaving a few holes in their defense. The main thing here is that both teams will want to win this game, because of the group they are in. Therefore, I think 0.5+ goals is very likely. But at the same time, while both teams will go for the win, I do not think it will be a high scoring game because of Ireland's style of play. Therefore, 1.5+ may be too risky. -- Good luck to all!:ok
Welcome mate, good post. Two updates from me: first, the Irish have a much better defense than the Croats. Their defensively display worked perfectly under Trapattoni and it looks much better than with my neighbors defense line. Croatia have a better quality midfield, but all of them (with key man Modric) is not in form. Also this is the first European Championship for the boys in green after 24 years absence so their motivation is higher imo. Although Poznan is only two hours drive away from Berlin (there is a large number of Croatians), is expected to be an enormous support from the island. After all, I don't have any stronger bet for this game, but I thought that Ireland will score tonight. I looked for value of anytime goalscorer, so McGeady can be a very dangerous on the counter attacking and key defender Dunne may to score after a free kick or a corner. Mini stakes of course... Anytime Goalscorer>> McGeady, A @12.5 (unibet)and Dunne, R @12.5 (unibet)

Re: Ireland v Croatia > June 10 Can only agree with the Ireland backers. 1.91 now for +0.5AH with Bodog. Ireland are a tough nut to crack and I think Croatia have been overrated here, there's not much I can add which hasn't already been mentioned.

Re: Ireland v Croatia > June 10 Watched the Norway match Croatia played, normally I wouldn't put that much into it, but they really struggled against us. Our defense isn't the greatest, but it is well disciplined. Ireland has a much better defense while also disciplined. Can imagine a low scoring game, but the unders are no value really. Considering Ireland clean sheet instead. 3.20 at Will Hill.

It's good but I think safer is to play it Under 2.5 goals
Of course it is safer, but the odds are terrible. Around 1.50 Lots of value on the clean sheet for the Irish. Especially considering the conditions which are, frankly terrible. EDIT: 2 minutes after I posted, I am eating my words :unsure

This game is a tricky one in my opinion, but I really doubt that both sides came to this tournament planing to play just 3 games and go back home. With games against Spain and Italy still ahead I believe that both sides will think about winning this tie in order to have any chance of qualifying to the next round. Even though Ireland are unbeaten for a long time their defensive record in the qualifiers is not that impressive. They have conceded goals from teams like Andorra, Armenia and Macedonia. Croatia have a decent squad and their striker Nikica Jelavic has been in good form for Everton and if he plays and other key players deliver a good performance I can see Croatia scoring at least 1 goal. Both to Score @ 2.25 ​William Hill
My first winning bet. Finally :beer

this is a dream game for croatia and they should win because the contrasting styles of play are in croatia favour. ireland are though but only physically' date=' they do not have the creativity. only their rigid temperament will keep them safe a short time. i watched them play against bosnia herzegovina and even though they won they had at least ten scare situations where they could have been punished.[/quote'] well done croatia the result was never in doubt. its was just as a predicted. the ireland showed when it comes down to it they haven't got much at all

In qualifying Ireland gave away the most fouls of all the sides left in the competition. I can see them sitting back looking to break down Croatia on the counter attack and making use of set pieces. They will have to nulify the threat of Modric, Kranjcar and Jelavic if they are to get anything out of this. They will struggle to do this especially if Croatia try to hit them on the counter attack. Ireland Most Cards 2.16 Betfair
Referee was very lenient in this game

I made up my mind. Croatia to win. In Jelavic & Mandzukic we got two triple threat strikers who with the right supply can crush the Irish defense. Eduardo can come up with the vital goals too if we struggle.. We never sat back against the English and proven that we can win against the hard tackling British-style play. If Modric is on form I am confident of a 3-1 type scoreline. I fancy both to score & OVER 2.5 so make your pick ;)
Any other predictions you want to make? You nailed all of them :clap

well done croatia the result was never in doubt. its was just as a predicted. the ireland showed when it comes down to it they haven't got much at all
I don't think it was that comprehensive. Three lucky goals, two of them at bad times. Croatia have some decent attackers in Jelavic, Perisic and Modric, but the rest of that side is very average, and will be found out against a top side, possibly the Italians and Spanish.

I don't think it was that comprehensive. Three lucky goals, two of them at bad times. Croatia have some decent attackers in Jelavic, Perisic and Modric, but the rest of that side is very average, and will be found out against a top side, possibly the Italians and Spanish.
Yes, shocking defending on Ireland's part, Modric stood out from the pack. Do agree that Croatia look dodgy at the back, Ireland had several near misses near the end, a few free headers too. I think Croatia will be a threat , but i would still at this point fancy Italy and Spain to go through after looking at all the performance's today.

I made up my mind. Croatia to win. In Jelavic & Mandzukic we got two triple threat strikers who with the right supply can crush the Irish defense. Eduardo can come up with the vital goals too if we struggle.. We never sat back against the English and proven that we can win against the hard tackling British-style play. If Modric is on form I am confident of a 3-1 type scoreline. I fancy both to score & OVER 2.5 so make your pick ;)
Its not often that I make predictions this accurate, but my two countries matched up exactly the way I thought they would :beer Hope it helped the readers.

Its not often that I make predictions this accurate, but my two countries matched up exactly the way I thought they would :beer Hope it helped the readers.
To be honest, ''I made up my mind'' wasn't the most convincing; sounded almost like you'd tossed a coin. Mandzukic probably won't get near the goal the rest of the tournament, a Championship player at best. Probably even could get away with crediting that second to Given :lol Croatia 1-4 England, England 5-1 Croatia hardly reasons to back the Croatians against the ''British-style''. ''I fancy both to score & OVER 2.5 so make your pick'' again sounds like you had the faithful coin out :lol