Liverpool v Wigan > 24 March

Initial thoughts here would be Wigan to score @2.05. At home this season, Liverpool have kept just 5 clean sheets in 19 games. Remote as they were, Liverpool's ambitions for a fourth place finish were well and truly ended last night. With Spurs only drawing, and Chelsea losing, it will hurt all the more. How they react here is not certain, but heads must be down with their 5th defeat in their last 6 league games. Kelly went off injured, and with Agger & Johnson expected to miss out, they will be vulnerable. Wigan have scored in 9 of 14 away, and as they scrap for survival, have been playing quite well of late. They should of beaten Norwich away & West Brom at home in their last 2. BTTS is 2.2 with Bwin, but with Liverpools scoring problems at home this season, and doubts about how they respond to last nights collapse, I think the 2.05 for Wigan to score with Bwin makes more appeal. It is generally odds on elsewhere. I will wait for team news.

Re: Liverpool v Wigan > 24 March Liverpool are currently available to lay at 1.32 on Betfair, implying an almost 76% chance of winning this game. Home form of just 5 league wins in 14 games would seem to suggest otherwise, but the fact that 3 of those home wins came against Wigan's fellow bottom 4 strugglers (2-1 v Wolves, 3-1 v Bolton, & 1-0 v QPR) is a cause for concern if you're considering opposing Liverpool here. I've said time and again that for all their good football Wigan just don't score enough goals and it's hard to see that changing against the 3rd meanest defence in the league (2nd before last night's debacle). All in all, it looks like a game to swerve this weekend, but if Liverpool's price should dip any lower (unlikely I would think), then a lay of the home team would probably appeal.

Re: Liverpool v Wigan > 24 March Wigan +2 (AH) @ 1.6 (Bet365) Liverpool look too short here in the match betting, considering they have really struggled to break teams down at home. They are as low as 1.27 which suggests they are a better side than they really are, in my opinion. They will probably win the game, but I think there is some value taking Wigan on the +handicap. This bet would have either won or resulted in a push for every one of Liverpool's home games, except the 3-0 win against an under strength Everton side, including the 1-1 draw with Blackburn, the 2-1 win over Wolves and the 3-1 win over Bolton, teams in a similar predicament to Wigan. It would also have won or resulted in a push for all of Wigan's away games except against the two Manchester clubs. Wigan have actually played well the last couple of games, and but for very poor finishing they should have won against West Brom and Norwich. They have more to play for here and they fight relegation, whilst Liverpool now have nothing to play for, although there is a chance of a 'wounded animal' effect as they look to bounce back from a capitulation against QPR. The fact that Wigan did not play in midweek and Liverpool were involved in a tiring encounter should help this bet, though. It's true that Liverpool could have won a lot of games by more goals if they had put their chances away, but even considering this the odds are in favour of this bet so I am happy to take the risk of that not happening here, and besides, you could actually say something similar about Wigan. A two goal asian handicap is a difficult one to break in this league; I think Liverpool will likely be able to break Wigan down eventually but I don't think it will be easy and I don't think this bet will lose, it also has a good chance of providing a profit. 2 pts.

Re: Liverpool v Wigan > 24 March We're not worth backing at all at them odds here! Here you have the classic of both teams who create chances but cannot score. I expect another frustrating afternoon at Anfield where we fail to put the ball in the goal yet dominate the game and possesion. We haven't beat Wigan in 4 attempts with the last 2 being 0-0 draws. The only thing we're going for now is The FA Cup which is I think distracting our league performances. Ridiculous odds on the unders here considering the amount of goals both teams score, the last time I checked both were in the bottom 4 for goals scored. under 2.5 goals - 2.30 BetVictor Correct Score - 0-0 17.00 Skybet

Re: Liverpool v Wigan > 24 March Liverpool vs Wigan Crazy final minutes in the QPR game in midweek. Liverpool really should have won that game, and at 0 - 2 down I wont have put a single quid on QPR, not even at 1000/1. The relgation scrap has really been stepped up as a result of this. The result is definately a watershed moment for QPR, who travel to sunderland on the same day as Wigan's fixture. In all of Wigan's recent tough fixtures, this is probably the softest one. Wigan have played better away from home this season, with less pressures on you when you're down at the bottom. Wigan really should have won their past two fixtures against West Brom and Norwich. Both games Diame came on and missed glorious chances. Those 4 points are worth £15m each potentially for the club. I feel Wigan will need to take something from Anfield to survive. With Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal games to go with only 9 games remaining on top of this one is not going to be easy to say the least. Liverpool have drawn alot of games against weaker sides at Anfield, though its not going to easy for Wigan. however, watching wigan play at their very best, I remain confident its really their luck thats been letting them down, and not the inability to "put the ball into the net". wigan at their best will give Liverpool a real ******* game. No relevant ******* team news. Leap of faith. Wigan at their best should be favourites at Anfield. Liverpool have nothing to play for. Qualification to the champions league is impossible, and the Europa league spot has already been bagged with their Carling Cup win. Wigan back 12.50 Betfair 10/10

Re: Liverpool v Wigan > 24 March

We're not worth backing at all at them odds here! Here you have the classic of both teams who create chances but cannot score. I expect another frustrating afternoon at Anfield where we fail to put the ball in the goal yet dominate the game and possesion. We haven't beat Wigan in 4 attempts with the last 2 being 0-0 draws. The only thing we're going for now is The FA Cup which is I think distracting our league performances. Ridiculous odds on the unders here considering the amount of goals both teams score, the last time I checked both were in the bottom 4 for goals scored. under 2.5 goals - 2.30 BetVictor Correct Score - 0-0 17.00 Skybet
Liverpool sit second bottom for chance conversion this season on 9.1%. Who is propping them up? Yes, Wigan with 8.4%. Perhaps we will see plenty of woodwork action tomorrow!!

Re: Liverpool v Wigan > 24 March Wigan are actually in much better form over the last five gamesl Liverpool have lost 4 out of their last 5 league games, and the game they won was against a weakened Everton side. Wigan have got 3 draws and a win in the same period (although Liverpool did face much stronger opposition). Can't help feeling there is value in backing Wigan in this one.

Re: Liverpool v Wigan > 24 March Under 2.5 @ 2.26 pinnacle After scoring twice against QPR, you would have thought that normaly reliable defence would shut up shop and win the game, but conceded 3 goals to lose the game. Expect the defence to be pretty pissed about that and shut out Wigan here, as they have 3 clean sheets in their last 4 home games while Wigan have scored one goal or less in 9 of their last 10 EPL games. Defensively, Wigan have not allowed more than two goals in 5 of their last 6 games, and expect them to park the bus here, as every point is vital to them, if they are to avoid the drop. These two teams have gone under in 8 of their last 10 meetings as well as 3 of their last 5 at Anfield, and with Liverpool's wastefulness in front of goals, then can see this being a low scoring game Season record: 134-176 (+2.47)

Liverpool vs Wigan Crazy final minutes in the QPR game in midweek. Liverpool really should have won that game, and at 0 - 2 down I wont have put a single quid on QPR, not even at 1000/1. The relgation scrap has really been stepped up as a result of this. The result is definately a watershed moment for QPR, who travel to sunderland on the same day as Wigan's fixture. In all of Wigan's recent tough fixtures, this is probably the softest one. Wigan have played better away from home this season, with less pressures on you when you're down at the bottom. Wigan really should have won their past two fixtures against West Brom and Norwich. Both games Diame came on and missed glorious chances. Those 4 points are worth £15m each potentially for the club. I feel Wigan will need to take something from Anfield to survive. With Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal games to go with only 9 games remaining on top of this one is not going to be easy to say the least. Liverpool have drawn alot of games against weaker sides at Anfield, though its not going to easy for Wigan. however, watching wigan play at their very best, I remain confident its really their luck thats been letting them down, and not the inability to "put the ball into the net". wigan at their best will give Liverpool a real ******* game. No relevant ******* team news. Leap of faith. Wigan at their best should be favourites at Anfield. Liverpool have nothing to play for. Qualification to the champions league is impossible, and the Europa league spot has already been bagged with their Carling Cup win. Wigan back 12.50 Betfair 10/10
Wigan good bang for their money. Really bossed Liverpool at times +111.55 units

VWD ThisPrider. Not sure many would of been brave enough to back Wigan outright' date=' well played[/quote'] I certainly wasn't. I think it's because people couldn't see Wigan winning that the odds were so good - it needed a 'leap of faith' as ThusPrider said - you had to back something that most people thought wouldn't happen - and perhaps that's why the odds were so good.