Fri: 3.20 Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup

Re: Fri: 3.20 Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup Before the Cahrlie Hall Chase I backed Time For Rupert at 14/1 which now looks a poor one. He is just not good enough by the look of it. I also have a small bet on Grands Crus at a big price and hope he goes for the race as I think he will go close, even though its a tough ask for a Novice. To be honest I hope Kauto wins it but I have a feeling Long Run will come good on the day. Still I don't think I will have a go in the market now again until the day. Weird Al is interesting at 25s though if he can get there in one piece. If Kauto wasn't there I think it would be a pretty flat race.

Re: Fri: 3.20 Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup I have had a tickle on Weird Al at 20/1 on Ladbrokes NRMB deal. I think Kauto will place and maybe Long Run but this race will be taken by a newbie this year I think. Grands Crus is good but has not had enough Chases yet So I looked and like the chances of Weird Al. Obviously the scene may change by the time of the off - but worth a punt.:hope

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Fri: 3.20 Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup Time For Rupert 20/1 Ladbrokes (NRNB) Time For Rupert (w/o Kauto Star/Long Run) 12/1 Bet 365 Time For Rupert to win Argento Chase & Cheltenham Gold Cup 33/1 Bet 365 It is trials day today at Cheltenahm and Time For Rupert, back at his favoured track, is taking on Captain Chris and Diamond Harry in a race that could shape the rest of the Gold Cup Market behind Kauto Star, Long Run and Grands Crus. If Time For Rupert's confidence is buoyed by his victory in an egg and spoon race at Newbury last time, and he wins this trial well, then the bookies would have to react into cutting his Gold Cup price. Paul Webber has stated their they aim for a big run today before going on to take third or fourth at Cheltenham but there is no reason why a horse that finished second to Big Bucks over hurdles and was sent off 9/4 for last years RSA (having only had two chase runs and having met with a set back. Also breaking a blood vessel in the race) could not find enough improvement to ruffle up the ageing Kauto or a long run who doesn't always convince with his jumping. He is a bit of a talking horse at present but has that potential to bridge the gap from underperforming second-season chaser into Gold Cup winner. Wierd Al would come into the reckoning (through the Charlie Hall form) if Time For Rupert wins today.

Re: Fri: 3.20 Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup

well that went well :lol Note to self: stick to sprint handicaps!
fin keep the faith mate, the reasoning is clear and its just the fact the horse didnt put it in today. Connections of Captain Chris must be thinking much the same after its poor run also Damond Harry hasnt progressed as well as we would have liked so the GC is starting to look a poor race especially after the Lexus also

Re: Fri: 3.20 Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup I was looking at Magnanimity at a big price for the Gold Cup but as mentioned the RSA form of last year is awful. I believe the horse broke a bone or something and has had problems and it was poor in the Lexus too. A crazy off the wall suggestion but how about Finian's Rainbow for the Gold Cup? Travels really well and if getting into a stride could put them to the sword if it stayed the trip and won it from the front, taking up the running on the 2nd circuit before they head for home. Had a look at the pedigree and never heard of the sire but it was a stayer on the flat and had no idea if progeny get staying trips or not, anyone have any idea? It holds entries in the QM, the Ryanair and the Gold Cup. Looks sure to go up against Sizing Europe instead but the Gold Cup looks weak and it could be that this year some try their luck in what looks a weak field for such a prestigious event. 280.0 on Betfair if anyone is interested.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Fri: 3.20 Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup Interesting race tomorrow in the shape of the Denman Chase. The rag has absolutely no chance but the other five, Long Run, What A Friend, Tidal Bay, Burton Point and The Giant Bolster are Gold Cup possibles. With Long Run being 1/2 he is the bookies favourite to win, but perhaps a big run from one of the others could see their Gold Cup price shorten. Current GC prices, 2/1 Long Run, 33/1 Burton Port, 40/1 What A Friend, 50/1 Tidal Bay, 66/1 The Giant Bolster. Burton Port is having his first start since his belting run in the 2010 Hennessy - has been off with a tendon injury. Into 8/1 from 10's this evening. What A Friend was fourth in the GC, PU in the National last year thereafter and comes here on the back of his disappointing Wetherby third. Tidal Bay was second in The Argento behind Midnight Chase last time while The Giant Bolster made all to land a Grade 3 over 2m5f at Cheltenham last time (Poquelin second). Long Run carries a 10lb pen and The Giant Bolster carries 6 lb pen for their wins this season. With the rest of levels maybe the other two look the best value?

Re: Fri: 3.20 Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup yep ive backed Tidal Bay tomorrow, one of my old favs and possibly rejuvenated now at Nicholls yard. LOng run doesnt have to win tomorrow to be honest altough if it runs to its mark, it should do. There is another 4 weeks until the GC and LONG run will be spot on for that. The others GC is tomorrow hence why there could be an upset

Re: Fri: 3.20 Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup One of the forgotten horses of the race is Midnight Chase and I think he definitely has place claims. Although Midnight Chase is now 10 years old, he loves Cheltenham and has won there 5 times including the Argento in January, where he led from start to finish. He's a pretty proficient jumper and usually gets into a good rhythm -as seen by the fact he's fallen only once in 24 starts. Preferring Good to Soft or Good ground, he really doesn't perform on Soft or Heavy ground and his trainer Neil Mulholland attributed his one fall at Down Royal to the Soft ground. The only time Midnight Chase has finished out of the first 3 at Cheltenham is when he was 5th in last year's Gold Cup when ridden by Tom Scudamore - his usual jockey Dougie Costello having broken a leg just before the Festival. I backed him e/w several weeks ago - got 25/1 NRNB with Ladbrokes at that time. He's now 16/1 and I'm sure would be a shorter price if he was trained by Paul Nicholls, Nicky Henderson etc rather than Neil Mulholland.

Re: Fri: 3.20 Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup I was impressed with Burton Port today at Newbury. After such a long absence it was worth an interest was given a patient ride by Gerraghty and I could see it being ridden out in March- seemed to be gaining on Long Run on the run in, 14 on betfair and 12s with a number of the major bookmakers. Will be in single figures on the day as alternatives to the front 2 are sought. Still want Kauto to do it though

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Fri: 3.20 Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup If Kauto is 50/50 i think he will run. Otherwise Nicholls would have said he wont be running and wouldnt have waited as long to let people know. So the fact this has been said i reckon he will run and if he does I think he will run aswell as he always has and now at these odds is worth a small punt. anyone wanting to back Kauto go for it now before he is announced as a definite runner. Anyway wishing Kauto all the best and hope to see him win his 3rd gold cup! kauto, long run 1,2 :cigar

Re: Fri: 3.20 Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup

If Kauto is 50/50 i think he will run. Otherwise Nicholls would have said he wont be running and wouldnt have waited as long to let people know. So the fact this has been said i reckon he will run and if he does I think he will run aswell as he always has and now at these odds is worth a small punt. anyone wanting to back Kauto go for it now before he is announced as a definite runner. Anyway wishing Kauto all the best and hope to see him win his 6th gold cup! kauto, long run 1,2 :cigar
kauto hasnt won 5 gold cups so hows he going to make it 6 wins in the gold cup

Re: Fri: 3.20 Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup Is it me or does this years Gold Cup seem very much a 2 horse race - A lot of the opposition have question marks over them Its definetly a Kauto - Long run race - I have a tickle on Weird Al at 20/1 --- To be honest I think it has to be one of the top 2 though .

Re: Fri: 3.20 Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup I have already backed Grand Crus for this months ago, so will be happy if he goes for this but I have noticed a few saying recently that he wont see out the trip, is this likely to be the case? I know he emptied a little at Kempton over only three mile but Scudamore had him tanking very early on in the race and I was of the opinion that a more hold up ride would still see him to good effect over the longer trip.

Re: Fri: 3.20 Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup I have gone over this race and basically I think it is definetly a 2 horse race - Long Run and Kauto Star are the protagonists - Yes I know Kauto's 12 but he is still producing times in the 150's and has won 2 pretty good races with a lot of the horses in this Gold cup behind him.I would love for him to win - He is a legend of a horse and its been an honour to watch him run. I think Long Run will win this - Yes he was 2nd twice to Kauto Star but I seriously think he is coming to form . I get the feeling the training with Yogi regarding his jumping is working and his performance in his last race was close to his win in the King George before he went on to win in the Gold Cup last year. He has posted times consistently in the 150's and his last time was TS 162 in the Denman (Aon Chase) He was carrying 10lbs more than Burton Port and won .His performance was RPR rated 181 and that is in-line with his RPR rating of 181 in the King George that he won last year. I think everyone could see that he was reeling in Kauto star in their last race the King George it was his jumping that let him down and I watched the Denman (Aon) Chase and definetly noticed improvement regarding his jumping.Giant Bolster went of at a fast pace and I think this added to the picture of the race. Burton Port was reeling in Long Run admittadly but there was a difference of 10lbs. I think it was a good run by long Run and knowing Henderson the fact that it was only 28 days from that race to the Gold Cup i think Long run was not at his peak . Henderson will have Long Run at his peak for the big day . The only other horses I can see running into a place are Burton Port if there is no bounce factor and Weird Al has an outsiders chance after his 10 length run in the Betfair Chase to Kauto - that race was a bit quick after his win in the Charlie Hall chase.I think Mcain is handling him with kids gloves and has given him a big break which suits this horse - If he runs he will be primed . Fingers Crossed he does not burst a blood vessel this year and runs a good race, I have him E/W at 20/1 All in all I think it should pan aout like this 1st - Long Run 2nd - Kauto Star 3rd - Weird Al 4th - Burton Port 5th - What a Friend

Re: Fri: 3.20 Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup I believe in good luck showing up just when when its unexpected, he's still not had a winner at the festival and will be gutted tomorrow on the last day if he cant bag the punters a winner. He could have the last laugh and the biggest of grins if he wins the Gold Cup. Anyone who writes off Mr Anthony Peter McCoy in this race writes him off at their peril. I'll side with the Champ in the Gold Cup on - Synchronised. Come on McCoy ! images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1b-n6o_QCXSvproBL04X2T1R2ija3kMedNfMh9_sxWpirogRI

Re: Fri: 3.20 Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup Kauto Star ran Long run ragged the last twice. He just seemed so much more powerful than in previous years. Primarily I hope he is fit enough to do himself justice and if he does the same again to Long Run then I can't see how Long Run is going to power away up the hill if he's shagged out with two to jump. Just backed Kauto Star at 5.0 on Betfair...then 5 minutes later he is 5.3, so I backed him again. Wouldn't be worried by his price rising like that...Big Bucks almost reached evens...and he showed them in no uncertain terms!

Re: Fri: 3.20 Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup 3.20 Cheltenham What a Friend 2pts ew @ 25/1 Ladbrokes It has been a long time since there has been an upset in this race and it is probably not wise to go against the big 2 for win purposes but I fancy What a Friend to run a big race tomorrow. He is a massive price considering the race he ran last year and we have seen so many times already this year, how horses seem to save their best for the festival. He is clearly tough to train having only had 17 runs throughout his career but he is a genuine grade 1 performer and is capable on his day. He has had a very similar prep to last year having taken in the same race at Newbury on route to the Gold Cup. Paul Nicholls has already said that he expects him to have come on a ton for that ran at Newbury. He was only beaten just over 4 lengths that day in what was a good time. What makes him of great interest for me in this race is his performance last year. The Gold Cup last year was one of the quickest in recent times and WaF was only beaten 11 lengths in the end. The time of the race was 7.3 secs faster than standard and WaF was around 2-4 seconds in behind Long Run so he still ran a very fast time. He was clear of the 5th horse Midnight Chase and almost caught Kauto Star for 3rd. The 3 horses that finished in front of him are Gold Cup Legends and all ran to form. If anything this year Long Run has not looked as good and his jumping has looked as suspect as ever. There are massive question marks regarding his jockey and I would not expect him to run as well as he did last year. Same can be said for Kauto Star who comes here in great form but is a year older now and must have lost some of his speed. This is why I quite fancy WaF to cause an upset. He comes here on the back of a very good return to action at Newbury and if he puts in a performance like last year, then surely he must go close in this. He is a great jumper and has a powerful engine that should take him pretty far into the race without being asked a question. On his return to action he travelled better than anything in the race, only to run out of gas and eventually fade into 3rd. Daryl Jacob has rode him a few times now and each time he has ran well. I think its fair to put a line through his run in the Grand National. He keeps the blinkers on that he wore for the first time in this race last year and the race should be run to suit him. I think 25/1 is massive and he is capable of springing a shock tomorrow.

Re: Fri: 3.20 Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup I think its Long Run's to lose - his Lto time is on par with his times last year at the time of the Gold Cup - he has improved and has won and been 2nd in 2 of the best trials for the gold cup.There was definetly an improvement in his jumping last time and he stays on.I think he stands a good chance of keeping the Gold Cup.Hendeson is in form.Looking at the race its just Long Run that is ticking all the boxes - Kauto is 12 he might yet spring one more final surprise (I wish) but I think he will be overtaken at the last . Both Midnight Chase and What a Friend have already ran in this and both lost . Burton port is a very good horse and may well place with an outside chance of winning so long as no dreaded bounce factor. Synchonised just does not do it for me.There were comments that the Lexus was poor this year and Ruby Light was soundly beaten in the Ryanair - Captain Chris could not even place .He was behind Long Run and Kauto in the King George at christmas.17 Lengths behind !! A horse I think may run well is Weird Al - McCain is in good form and I think with his 3 lengths behind Long Run the last time they met makes him in with a squeak - that race was just after the Charlie Hall chase and its known that Weird Al is better with a break. Thats basically it - Long Run's to lose - Weird Al E/W

Re: Fri: 3.20 Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup I see this as a 2 horse race. It would take a monumental effort from another horse to beat these as Kauto and Long Run have a good 15lb in hand on the best of the rest on official ratings. The horses rated in the 150s and 160s have swapped victories and finished in front of each other numerous times with nothing really proving itself to be "the best of the rest". The trainer in form in the last 7 days is Nicky Henderson, Neil Mullonhead also has his horse running well too. With that in mind my money is on Long Run, unfortunately I missed the 9/4 but got on at 2/1 @ Betvictor (If your horse finihes 2nd to Kauto you get a free bet upto £50). If he jumps well he wins, and the only horse that can beat Long Run is Long Run. I'd love Kauto to win but the extra couple of furlongs and the Cheltenham hill may be a bridge to far. I expect to see Burton Port and Midnight Chase to give Kauto a fight for 2nd place with Syncronised plodding on for 4th.