Cheltenham today

bowles10

Just how much more exciting is Cheltenham , it is my fav jumps track and today lived to its usual expectations with loads of thrills and spills. Flatter tracks cannot compare with the excitement, give me cheltenham any day over Newbury, donny, Sandown, Ascot etc The season has really got going now and the next month sees some great pointers to the festival itself Enjoy (weather permitting of course)

Re: Cheltenham today On a flat track i think Roudoudou Ville would have hacked up today, but the uphill climb caught it out... Thats the beauty of cheltenham, a horse has never won until it passes that line, Cheltenham is the perfect track for in-running plays, you could have backed Quantitativeasing @ 39/1 on Betfair jumping 2 out...

Re: Cheltenham today

On a flat track i think Roudoudou Ville would have hacked up today' date=' but the uphill climb caught it out... Thats the beauty of cheltenham, a horse has never won until it passes that line, Cheltenham is the perfect track for in-running plays, you could have backed Quantitativeasing @ 39/1 on Betfair jumping 2 out...[/quote'] & those in the know would know the horse gets 3m and the leader had never raced at Cheltenham before. That hill has stopped many a horse in the past

It's great isn't it. The camera angle on C4 when they come down the hill before the home turn is something else. I can't wait for the festival and will be there on Gold Cup day once again. :D
did you see the camera on Sea of thunder as it jumped the last and made a right hash of it, showed the speed of the fall in detail, god to see both horse and jock ok but the camera captured it all

& those in the know would know the horse gets 3m and the leader had never raced at Cheltenham before. That hill has stopped many a horse in the past
I really feel for Stevet, he backed Roudoudou Ville and Medermit :lol What were the chances of neither of them winning jumping the last? Amazing course, and it will continue to amaze us! :clap See Charles Byrnes horse fall at the last when in command today? That would have been gutting if you had that backed!

& those in the know would know the horse gets 3m and the leader had never raced at Cheltenham before. That hill has stopped many a horse in the past
That's a knife with 2 edges though. Salut Flo was winning this easily. For Roudoudou Ville I think you're looking too deep. The explanation in my opinion is far more simple. Victor Dartnall has had fair few that haven't finished their races in the past few weeks. After the wonderful form of the yard in the autumn, they're now probably just not 100% fit, so he just stopped. He was home and hosed and emptied in a matter of strides. Sign of a not fit horse in most cases.

That's a knife with 2 edges though. Salut Flo was winning this easily. .
Salut flo won nothing, still had 3 to jump and hadnt come off the bridle but doesnt make it a winner, made a hash of the fence and that was it Thats racing but no way could you forecast it as the winner with so much of the race left

Salut flo won nothing, still had 3 to jump and hadnt come off the bridle but doesnt make it a winner, made a hash of the fence and that was it Thats racing but no way could you forecast it as the winner with so much of the race left
I don't think he was gonna stop like RV though. You're kidding yourself if you think so. Pipe handicapper off low weight and gambled just like Great Endeavour in the Paddy Power. He was ready to win 100% fit and was winning this. No doubt about it for me.

I don't think he was gonna stop like RV though. You're kidding yourself if you think so. Pipe handicapper off low weight and gambled just like Great Endeavour in the Paddy Power. He was ready to win 100% fit and was winning this. No doubt about it for me.
you will never know Mileni thats my point he certainly looked fit and was going very well but then again 600+ days off the track who knows that QE might still have caught it up that tiring hill. What i know about Cheltenham is that you have to be a battler and you never get away with a mistake aka Great Endeavour and Salut flo today. Both made mistakes which ended their chances. If Salut had gone down, QE was right behind so would have been impeded i think so just grateful that never happened

You do know Roudoudou Ville would not have jumped the last in front if it was unfit? And that it was backed off the boards all week? Not to mention Dartnall said he really fancied it to win and that the horse was flying fit! The hill was the only thing that stopped Roudoudou Ville... Salut Flo was going to win? Nah!

you will never know Mileni thats my point he certainly looked fit and was going very well but then again 600+ days off the track who knows that QE might still have caught it up that tiring hill. What i know about Cheltenham is that you have to be a battler and you never get away with a mistake aka Great Endeavour and Salut flo today. Both made mistakes which ended their chances. If Salut had gone down, QE was right behind so would have been impeded i think so just grateful that never happened
QE caught RV, because RV stopped badly. And that's a pretty bad emptying out. Doesn't happen every day. It was pretty severe in my eyes, I couldn't believe he stopped so quickly, because he was really home and hosed jumped the last with a big lead. Of course we can't say, but seriously it's Pipe. 600 days off the track doesn't matter. Salut Flo wouldn't have stopped imo. I guess we'll have our answer next time when he runs. I know I'm backing and no Cheltenham form wouldn't stop me :D

You do know Roudoudou Ville would not have jumped the last in front if it was unfit? And that it was backed off the boards all week? Not to mention Dartnall said he really fancied it to win and that the horse was flying fit! The hill was the only thing that stopped Roudoudou Ville... Salut Flo was going to win? Nah!
Doesn't matter what he says. I know his yard better than him. They are not running their races. They are not 100% fit. Look at the replays of his last runners and you'll see all of them emptying one way or another.

Doesn't matter what he says. I know his yard better than him. They are not running their races. They are not 100% fit. Look at the replays of his last runners and you'll see all of them emptying one way or another.
my take on it is slightly different, Cheltenham is a trainers track, Henderson, Nicholls, Hobbs, Pipe, all plunder the top prizes at each meeting. The likes of Dartnall i am afraid just fall short. If the race was at Chepstow, you would get a different result and RV would have won I said to my mate today that Henderson and Nicholls would win 6 out of 7 today, ok they won 5 due to Hinterland failing in the 1st i firmly believe it is not worth backing many horses outside those top 4 names at Cheltenham - you can add Jonjo and Ferdy for the festival but thats about it

You now his yard better than he does? :lol Ah christ! Let me know the next time he is going to have a winner in advance then, cheers! :ok You also cant say Quantitativeeasing beat a stopping horse either as he was several lengths behind Medermit after jumping the last, and Medermit was flying up the hill...

Re: Cheltenham today Mixed opinions! :loon With Medermit, he failed to beat Hell's Bay over the same trip when travelling like the best horse so it's no surprise he was outstayed up the hill. The field wasn't packed with horses that get 2m5f+ either, no doubt Medermit is a good horse, but I think it was a sign about how many badly handicapped horses the race had, because he wasn't exactly well treated. Best handicapped horses all went wrong one way or another.

You now his yard better than he does? :lol Ah christ! Let me know the next time he is going to have a winner in advance then, cheers! :ok You also cant say Quantitativeeasing beat a stopping horse either as he was several lengths behind Medermit after jumping the last, and Medermit was flying up the hill...
I know his stable pretty well, I have big trust in him as a trainer. I get them right most of the time. Trainers don't know things better than punters sometimes, trust me. If Dartnall is saying "I have him 100% fit and ready" I would have told you "Be careful, they are not seeing their races out lately." I know it's hindsight, but that's the reason I didn't save on RV. I was gonna back him, but form of the yard put me off. I think that qualifies for knowing the yard better than the trainer, doesn't it? Not every time of course, but I can judge a pretty big percentage. If I couldn't, I wouldn't be winning. I would expect Quant to beat Medermit up the hill anyway. He was receiving a stone from him and the pace they went Quant was supposed to finish with flourish, cos he stays further. He wasn't that far off Medermit. He was quite a bit off RV though. They were both closing on RV rapidly. RV stopped simple as. Was it the hill? I don't know. I think a big part of it was yard not having them 100% fit. Fit enough, but not fit enough to see out a competitive race like this. And of course jock prob hit front too soon as well. Medermit ran his honest race, caught up on a horse that was stopping, but got beat by a better horse at the weights (and over the trip). Quant was best horse at the weights amongst the principals and a good ride and his stamina allowed him to win it with a powerful run up the hill. But ask yourself. How do you see Salut Flo running if he hadn't made that mistake? Was he gonna stop the way Roudoudou Ville did? I seriously doubt that. Off 9-12, Pipe has them 100% fit for these big handicaps almost every time. I can't see him stopping even worse than the 3rd did. Just doesn't make sense. The percentage is probably 80-20 that he was gonna win. 70-30 worst case.

Re: Cheltenham today the likes of medermit etc will always be thereabouts especially over the right trips, thats why they run it at Cheltenham. RV now has a place at Cheltenham in its locker and would have learned from that. Calgary bay for example always gets around here as its good jumper but 5th place isnt enough, it was 4th last year and is always capable of running to that mark but rarely wins dont want to sound cocky but there are a lot of people that just dont understand Cheltenham

Re: Cheltenham today Just seen the race, thrilling finish. Thought Salut Flo was very unlucky. Would certainly have gone very very close without that mistake. Made a mistake a couple of fences prior and came back at the leader on the bridle. At the same time though, can't take anything away from the winner - cracking ride from Geraghty. As for the Dartnall horse, just looked like the hill/idling to me - didn't look wholly unfit I thought.

Got to remember Roudoudou Ville's rider was almost thrown off when Great E made mistake' date=' then quickly took up the running and pressed on. Probably went to soon and paid for it.[/quote'] Spot On, RDV went up the Sandown hill alright, he just went too soon here.