Denman retired.

taken from sporting life Former Cheltenham Gold Cup winner Denman was retired on Friday morning. Trainer Paul Nicholls wrote in his Betfair column: "It is with great regret that I have to announce the retirement of Denman. "A scan yesterday afternoon revealed tiny damage to his near fore tendon, so this morning marks the end of an era for Ditcheat."

Re: denman

taken from sporting life Former Cheltenham Gold Cup winner Denman was retired on Friday morning. Trainer Paul Nicholls wrote in his Betfair column: "It is with great regret that I have to announce the retirement of Denman. "A scan yesterday afternoon revealed tiny damage to his near fore tendon, so this morning marks the end of an era for Ditcheat."
Sad that we won't get to see him run again, but at least now he'll have a happy retirement and there's no chance of him getting injured racing. :clap

Re: Denman retired. Just read this on ATR, mixed emotions. Like many other people, Denman was my favourite racehorse. I would never, ever, tire of watching this horse run in any race. With that in mind, I would have liked very much to see him run again and again. Sadly with age not on his side and carrying an injury now he could have gone out in the worst possible way which would not be a fitting end to the career of a true superstar. I think connections never risked him at Aintree in the National, at a time when he was still often at a hack canter at the end of a decent 3m 2f race, because they didn`t want to risk such a tragic outcome for a horse that was so dearly loved throughout racing. Thanks for the memories!

Re: Denman retired. Some good comments regarding Denman retirement on Racing Post site but also surprised that some idiotic comments still up that are obviously upsetting a lot of genuine racing fans. thought RP would have got on top of silly comments in respect for Denman. I hope both him and Kauto share a field when retired .

Re: Denman retired. Pretty sad that he won't be running again but so many great memories, what a horse! The second Hennessey win was simply amazing, I fondly remember myself screaming him home as i'm sure many where that day. Happy Retirement The Tank!

Re: Denman retired. Don't think I ever backed him as he was always short odds but, from a racing rather than betting perspective, he was a joy to watch. I thought he was finished when Madison Du Berlais beat him in the Bowl but he bounced back from that emphatically. My memory of him will always be him carrying top weight to victory in the Hennessy, a mammoth performance and one of the most admirable chase performances I can collect since I began following racing. Happy retirement tank :clap

• 2 weeks later...