Tennis - 24-30 October

Re: Tennis - 24-30 October Quite like the look of tomorrow's card ... - Jurgen Melzer -3.5 games (v Guillermo Garcia-Lopez in Vienna) @ 2.01 with Pinnacle (4pts) Melzer is the defending champion in his home country, so there's plenty of motivation for the Austrian to do well. Granted, this has not been Melzer's best year, considering his exploits in 2010, but he's still an accomplished enough player for me. An all-rounder who is compatible on every surface, he tends to play decent stuff when in Austria and has a bigger game than his opponent. I was surprised to see Garcia-Lopez edge past Blake. In all honesty, he was very close to throwing it away. I always have a big question mark over the Spaniard. He is another one of these flaky players who is prone to checking out of matches when he really shouldn't. He's quite flashy off the backhand side but struggles to play with consistency and hasn't been anywhere near his best for some time. The H2H is 1-1, although their last meeting was more than three years ago. I look at this match and I see Melzer being dominant in almost all areas. It's just a question of whether he's mentally there. With him being defending champion, I reckon he will be. He's only lost to good players in the last few events, a category I wouldn't file Garcia-Lopez under at present. I thought the line would be -4, so to get -3.5 at odds around evens represents a fine bit of value. I'm content to play it. - Radek Stepanek -4 games AH (v Daniel Brands in Vienna) @ 2.05 with Pinnacle (3pts) I take my hat off to Brands for making it this far, but I reckon his goose is cooked in this match-up. Brands has ridden his luck ever since qualifying. He needed a final set tie-break to see off Ruben Bemelmans in his final qualifier and then got very lucky against Martin Fischer, who choked when serving for the match in Round 1. The German was in the Top 100 not so long ago but it appears he's fallen off the radar. His serve is big but it lacks real consistency, and better players tend to get a read on it eventually. Off the deck, he doesn't have fluency, and his head tends to go down when behind against the big boys. Stepanek's had a really good second half of the season. He surprised everyone by winning Los Angeles and has posted decent showing in most of his recent events. He's rediscovered a litte more of that competitive streak that gets under his opponent's nose. His unorthodox, aggressive style is hard for impatient players to get a grip of, and that's the category I'd class Brands in. The only slight concern surrounding the Czech is that this is first match for some time indoors. However, these are probably his best conditions, and I'd fancy him to deconstruct Brands' one-dimensional game fairly quickly. The line, for me, is correctly set at -4, but the odds appear too high. I'd have this in the low 1.80s, so for me, we've got a generous offer on our hands.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - 24-30 October

hi a quick question does anybody know why czech punter and fishy25 dont tip on punters lounge anymore? them 2 were great .. seems like the thread aint active as it used to be icant say anything because i dont contribute anyway loll but personally them guys are missed .. no offence intended to the rest of you' date=' your doing a great job[/quote'] Think fishy25 has his own thread in the glory hunter's section - you can catch his selections there, although I don't know how frequently he posts these days. As for CzechPunter, he was posting here a few weeks ago and regularly checks in to view the thread, but doesn't tend to write anything these days. Not sure why. Both would massively enhance this thread if they posted back here. Perhaps they'll come on and answer your question as to why they don't post.

Re: Tennis - 24-30 October Marin Cilic - Somdev Devvarman OVER 21.5 1.85@bwin 6/10! I don;t like to bet on Somdev in any situation. plus Cilic has been briliant lately reaching the final where he lost to Berdych. But i think that Cilic will have a hard time tommorow, of course Indian have very small chances to break him, but Marin played numbers of matches lately and can dig in deep tomorows game. Plus playing indoors isn't thing he like much. H2H is 1-1 both winning in straight sets back in 2009! I have a feeling that Marin could have some problems tomorow, and maybe even throw it away. gl :hope Radek Stepanek tb Daniel Brands 2-0 1.71@bet365! 5/10! can't see it going other way that 2-0 for Radek. Daniel have no weapons to deal with Stepanek's serve-volley. German played several weak tournaments lately in Slovenia and Madrid, but anything special than that, while Radek shines on the occasion. Like he says now he is in the best shape of his life, and nevermind that he isn't that yound anymore :) handy -4.5 is very nice too, but i stick this time with 2-0 !

Think fishy25 has his own thread in the glory hunter's section - you can catch his selections there, although I don't know how frequently he posts these days. As for CzechPunter, he was posting here a few weeks ago and regularly checks in to view the thread, but doesn't tend to write anything these days. Not sure why. Both would massively enhance this thread if they posted back here. Perhaps they'll come on and answer your question as to why they don't post.
atko how do i find the glory hunter section mate? thanks in advance if you can help just a shout out to atko and pyscho top quality tips and write ups we do appreciate it lads, keep up the good work

Wozniacki -3.5 to bt Zvonareva @ 1.893 Pinnacle. LOSS
The froghead pulled out the best tennis of her life against Woz after having collapsed totally against Kvitova on tuesday. Looks like to bet on this tournament is bad idea. I am going to take a rest and wait till ATP 500 next week.

atko how do i find the glory hunter section mate? thanks in advance if you can help just a shout out to atko and pyscho top quality tips and write ups we do appreciate it lads, keep up the good work
At the top of your screen, there's a list of all the forums you can visit.

Re: Tennis - 24-30 October Hi guys, 2 picks for today: WTA ISTANBUL RADWANSKA TO DEFEAT ZVONAREVA @ 2.05 on betfair ATP VIENNA NIEMINEN-TSONGA OVER 21.5 GAMES @ 1.83 on bet365 Zvonareva had shoulder problems in Moscow and Radwanska with 3 straight wins over Zvonareva in the past 2 months should have an advantage. Nieminen played great in Stockholm last week getting to the final and hitting a lot of winners and was unlucky to lose there to Monfils. It should not be an easy win for Tsonga, especially considering the head-to-head record.

Hi guys, 2 picks for today: WTA ISTANBUL RADWANSKA TO DEFEAT ZVONAREVA @ 2.05 on betfair ATP VIENNA NIEMINEN-TSONGA OVER 19.5 GAMES @ 1.83 on bet365 Zvonareva had shoulder problems in Moscow and Radwanska with 3 straight wins over Zvonareva in the past 2 months should have an advantage. Nieminen played great in Stockholm last week getting to the final and hitting a lot of winners and was unlucky to lose there to Monfils. It should not be an easy win for Tsonga, especially considering the head-to-head record.
Be slightly careful with Nieman. I ahve backed him out right for the event but: A) He picked up an injury yesterday, no idea how he will do today B) the line starts at 21.5+, no way you can get 19.5 from what I know. If he was fit I would be on lines on this match but I dont know if he is fit enough to play let alone compete to the level he needs to.

Re: Tennis - 24-30 October WOW! What a match it was Radwanska-Zvonareva! Poor froghead again proved my point that betting in this tournamnet is bad idea (except perhaps on Viki or Kvitova). She had 2 mtchpoints in the third at 5-3 40-15. Lost four games in a row from that point LOL. Now if Radwanska takes a set from Kvitova, which is unlikely, she will advance to the semi, otherwise we shall have three players tied with match score 1W-2L and set score 3W-5L.

Re: Tennis - 24-30 October had radwanska @ 22/1 at the 1st match point down, vera just couldnt cope with the amount of balls coming in to court, iv been backing azarenka n kvitova on the handicaps going to take petra kvitova tommorow again on the handicap...them 2 are just in a different league @ the moment

had radwanska @ 22/1 at the 1st match point down' date=' vera just couldnt cope with the amount of balls coming in to court, iv been backing azarenka n kvitova on the handicaps going to take petra kvitova tommorow again on the handicap...them 2 are just in a different league @ the moment[/quote'] Gambling is not a sin. Gambling on the WTA is.

WOW! What a match it was Radwanska-Zvonareva! Poor froghead again proved my point that betting in this tournamnet is bad idea (except perhaps on Viki or Kvitova). She had 2 mtchpoints in the third at 5-3 40-15. Lost four games in a row from that point LOL. Now if Radwanska takes a set from Kvitova, which is unlikely, she will advance to the semi, otherwise we shall have three players tied with match score 1W-2L and set score 3W-5L.
If Radwanska wins again tomorrow against Kvitova I will never ever ever ever watch women's tennis again.

Re: Tennis - 24-30 October Uni has quietened down a bit, well until my first essay on tuesday :eek but I'll get involved with 3 tomorrow over in Russia, with fairly low stakes, as I'm looking for the value. Mikhail Youzhny (-4.5 games) to beat Adrian Mannarino- Evens Bet365- (3/10) Not the biggest fan of backing the Russian with any sort of handicap but on home soil, I'd back him here. Mannarino has been out of sorts since the US open, only winning one match coming into this week, and losing to a couple of naff opponents in truth. The comeback against Simon I wouldn't read too much into, given Simon's tendencies to switch off, and then Rosol has been awful of late. The Russian hasn't been ultra-impressive to be honest but today I fancy him to show some of the class he possesses. He beat Benneteau in 3 a couple of days ago, and of late, he's only really been beaten by some good players, in Ljubicic, and Ferrero, whilst beating some good players as well. Home support I think might be quite important in this one, and the price is good enough for me to bite on the Russian who beat Mannarino easily a couple of years back. Same again would be nice. Marin Cilic (-4.5 games) to beat Andreas Seppi- Evens Bet365- (3/10) Regardless of my views on Cilic, this handicap looks half a game short to me. Granted Cilic has had problems with the Italian in the past, but from watching Seppi play Benneteau the other week in Mons, if he plays anything like that, no way I see him coping with Marin today. In that first set a couple of weeks ago, he started extremely slowly, and only due to Benneteau running out of steam, he was allowed back into it. The Croatian hasn't looked amazing in his couple of wins this week, but his serve was pretty handy against Devvarman, with 13 aces, whilst Seppi threw up a fair number of break points in his match against Pospisil. They've met twice this year, with Seppi failing to win a set, and a comfortable win again here for Cilic, with a break in both sets could see the handicap through. Potito Starace (+5) handicap to beat Janko Tipsarevic- 11/8 Bet365- (2/10) Taking the additional handicap on the Italian as he looks in good shape this week. He should be confident going into this one after an impressive win over Tursunov yesterday. Although his best results usually come on the clay, on the quicker surfaces he is handy as well, especially the indoor courts. He's got a decent serve which will allow him to pick up cheap points on these courts, as shown through him not being broken in either match thus far this week. Tipsarevic is on a 6 match winning streak now, after picking up the title in Moscow last week. Not sure fatigue will be too much of an issue for the Serb after Berrer retired early on in the second set today, but if Starace keeps his own service games tidy, and now allow the Serb too much of a look in, he should be able to keep it relatively tight for the majority and frustrate his opponent. In their past meetings int he indoor courts, Starace has made an impression, winning their first meeting a long time ago, but also in this competition a few years back, Tipsarevic won 7-6 6-4, and I'd fancy the Italian to keep things close again today.

Re: Tennis - 24-30 October Kevin Anderson to beat Jurgen Melzer - 11/10 @ Uni bet - (4 points) These juicy priced odds on arguably the most transformed / improved player on tour are a result of merely home territory for the opposition you would think. Anderson on his day has the serving capabilities of a John Isner and a Milos Raonic .. however unlike the pair of them has a very respectable ground game. (Well not so much Isner but you get what I mean, with the movement thing and all) The thing that has impressed me the most about Anderson is his clutch play and that's not just when he's serving, even when returning, the guy rises to the moment and plays every big point well. You could say he is as psychologically tough as a Nadal or a Djokovic, some may suggest that pushing the boundaries a bit but after seeing the way he's been coming through matches in the last few months, I wouldn't. Melzer can certainly live with Anderson's ground and pound game but I've never ever seen a real well drilled defensive display from Melzer, he generally always likes to be the dictator. I can't see Melzer breaking Anderson to be honest and if he does it will require a mighty effort. For me his record vs a certain Mr Andy Roddick is something that needs to be looked @... http://www.tennisinsight.com/matchid159874402.htm A 10-0 head to head vs Roddick, a player that also has a big serve and can hold his own from the back of the court. Melzer's last defeat to Roddick was in 2010 when you could say, Melzer was arguably playing his best tennis... Psychologically, Melzer doesn't have the patience and tenacity Anderson does, he is unable to put unforced errors behind him and as a result they lead to further unforced errors, he's a very streaky player all in all. I feel to beat Kevin Anderson, this Kevin Anderson, in this form, you can't afford to dip in and out of matches the way Melzer does. One tie break and a break in another set should do it for the big South African. Tsonga to beat Malisse (-3.5) games handicap - 8/13 @ Paddy Power (3.5 points) Quite simple really, Tsonga wants to be competing in the end of year championships and needs the points, motivation will be high and I can't see a hope in hell for Malisse. Today's match for Tsonga was a benchmark for me, Nieminen has been playing some great tennis as of recent and Tsonga was able to stem the tide and come through despite Jarko coming out with some inspired tennis. Malisse just isn't in that sort of form Nieminen is in. Malisse as we all know is a talented player and can become inspired on occasiom producing scintillating tennis, however there's demons inside the guys head and whatever lead he may manage through remarkable tennis, he will inevitably lose through his own stupidness. Malisse will hold his own in rallies and make Tsonga work in parts, but it won't last for the duration of the match, I also don't really see him getting much on the French man's serve and when the big points arrive the better server and more composed player will prevail. Li Na (+4.5) games handicap vs Samantha Stour 4/6 @ Paddy Power - (3.5 points) Some may say I'm mad, as Li Na is still not quite back to the level she was when she won the French. I saw massive improvements in her game against Azerenka however and I have got to say felt she gave Aza more of a test than Stosur did. Both these players on their day can construct a point brilliantly, Li Na especially, she has the right blend between consistency and offensive play. The thing that was letting her down against Aza was her serve and her error prone forehand, however she was slowly but surely fixing those issues towards the end of the match. I know 6-2, 6-2 doesn't seem too impressive but quite a few games went to deuce. Li Na only last month took Stosur to 3 sets and I can see another yet long drawn out match, with both players chucking away leads, especially Samantha, as she is known for doing so. Li Na is also a much better front runner than Stosur in my book and therefore am confident enough to suggest she won't lose by more than 4 games. Li Na to beat Samantha Stour 2/1 @ Paddy Power - (1.5 points) Again, same reasons as above, on the basis Li Na squeezes through. No big stakes here though.

Re: Tennis - 24-30 October Hi guys, 1 pick for today: ATP VIENNA MALISSE-TSONGA OVER 22 GAMES @ 2.02 on pinnaclesports Similar reasoning to Nieminen-Tsonga yesterday. Malisse is a great indoors player with good serve and he is equal to Tsonga from the baseline, Tsonga is not overly motivated in those smaller tournaments. It should not be an easy win for Tsonga, especially considering the head-to-head record.

Re: Tennis - 24-30 October Daniel Brands to beat Steve Darcis 2.1@bwin 6/10! Little bit surprised to see here Brands as an underdog after that impressive victory yesterday against Stepanek. His serve was so briliant that Stepanek have no chances there at all. Steve have better ranking and maybe is a little bit more mature as a player, but tbh if we can see the same serve from 196cm guy as it was vs Stepanek i think Steve have no chances there. Another promising bet over 22.5, but i just saw it on bwin, will check it out on the others, but i'll stick with Brands to win this match 2.1 Potito Starace +5.5 vs Janko Tipsarevic 1.85@bwin 6/10! Well, it's just too high i think, and definetle worth a try here. Janko had a great 2011 year and now he is maybe in the best shape ever. Interesting fact they have met once back in 2008 in St. Petersburg and Janko won 7:6 6:3! Handiycap screaming for taking it, so i'll pick it up :hope

Re: Tennis - 24-30 October Taken a further 4 this morning with 2 in Vienna, and 2 for the women's matches. Juan Martin Del Porto (-4.5 games) to beat Tommy Haas- 5/6 Sportingbet- (3/10) Like the Argentinian here with Haas coming into this one after quite a bit of tennis already this week. Tommy already had to come through qualification this week, and then has had a couple of 3 setters since then, and given his fitness and injury concerns over the past couple of years, I struggle to see him being 100% today. Del Porto has a really good chance to gain some ranking points this week, given he missed this stage of the season last year, so he should be up for this one. He served well against Petzschner in the first round and won his doubles match to keep him adept with the conditions in Vienna. He hammered Haas in their previous meeting, losing just 3 games over the two sets, and his power should outdo Haas today on these quicker courts. Should be a comfortable one for Juan Martin today. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (-4 games AH) to beat Xavier Malisse- 5/6 Sportingbet- (2/10) Think the Frenchman will come through this in the end with a bit to spare. He started slowly against Nieminen but then found his range and came to terms with the courts, and that's when he really started to cruise and had few problems. As already mentioned, Tsonga is striving for the top 8, to make it to London, so he will see this week as an ideal chance to gain some points so like Del Porto, he should be up for it mentally. Malisse, still very much hit or miss, hasn't really beaten anyone who you wouldn't expect him to beat. He did actually beat Tsonga earlier this year in Indian Wells in a couple of tight sets, but Tsonga has had a super season since then, and there's no doubt he will want to end it with a place in the tour finals to round off a good year. His serve was good against the Finn yesterday, and I just think he will be too much for the Belgian today with the whole motivation. Fancy the Frenchman with the handicap here. Two for the women then, going against ImLovingIt, sorry mate ;) Victoria Azarenka vs Marion Bartoli- Under 19.5 games- Evens Coral- (3/10) Right, taken the unders here for a couple of reasons. If recent form and performances are anything to go on, Azarenka should wipe the floor with Bartoli today, like she has done with Li Na and Stosur, and everyone last week in Luxembourg. Bartoli withdrew last week from her match with Vesnina, so not 100% what condition she will be in, not often you worry about the opponent's fitness when talking about Azarenka :lol. But if things go to plan, Azarenka should win this quite easily, but, this is why I'm taking the unders. If Marion comes out of the traps firing, and plays some outstanding tennis, with tons of winners like she is capable of doing from time to time, and manages to pinch the first set, given Vicky is already booked her place through from the groups, it's debatable how much energy she will want to waste playing a lengthy match here. I'd be more inclined to think she'd just roll over and go through the motions, and be fresh for the latter stages of the competition. Regardless, don't think it will be a long one, and do think Azarenka will have way too much for Bartoli here. Sam Stosur (-3.5 games) to beat Li Na- 10/11 Sportingbet- (2/10) Can't ignore the head to hear here, which the Aussie leads 5-0, only dropping one set in total, earlier this year. She was outdone by Azarenka, much like Li, but beat Sharapova in far more convincing style than Li, who only beat her narrowly. Before this week, she had lost 3 games in a row, all against players she should be beaten, which isn't ideal preparation for playing the top players in the world. Stosur has only been beaten by the better players in the womens tour if you like, and should fancy her chances today. The head to head just underlines the problems Li has with Stosur, and the handicap is small enough and a decent enough price for me to back her to carry the dominance on in this little rivalry.

Zvonareva is blacklisted' date=' don't care how well Radwanska defended, Zvon had 3 match points and once Radwanska pulled it back to Deuce Zvon could not be bothered, waste of money. :@ :wall[/quote'] you should have blacklisted her since the loss to cibulkova

Kevin Anderson to beat Jurgen Melzer - 11/10 @ Uni bet - (4 points)
:ok
Tsonga to beat Malisse (-3.5) games handicap - 8/13 @ Paddy Power (3.5 points)
:sad Had to cover this in play when I realised it was never going to come off so backed Tsonga for the comeback, slight profit but very nerve wrecking, sorry for all that followed.
Li Na (+4.5) games handicap vs Samantha Stour 4/6 @ Paddy Power - (3.5 points)
Awful, she was dreadful. :puke
Li Na to beat Samantha Stour 2/1 @ Paddy Power - (1.5 points)
:rollin Was I insane?