** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

England » Barclays Premier League » Oct 22/23

Djordje

Re: England » Barclays Premier League » Oct 22/23

If United score first it will probably end 2 or even more to nill. Not sure that City will be able to score as well. If City score first the game will be wide open for the both teams!
I would love if that were the case but i disagree. City have Silva, Aguero, Balotelli, Dzeko, Johnson, Toure etc etc, if they go a goal behind they will be more than capable of scoring a goal, especially as our defence is very dodge at the moment.. Even if our defence was at its best i would feel City will more than likely get 1 goal.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love if that were the case but i disagree. City have Silva' date=' Aguero, Balotelli, Dzeko, Johnson, Toure etc etc, if they go a goal behind they will be more than capable of scoring a goal, especially as our defence is very dodge at the moment.. Even if our defence was at its best i would feel City will more than likely get 1 goal.[/quote'] Worth keeping in mind Mancini's tactical mindset in big games, last season he was very defensive, he changed tact in the recent B.Munich game and they looked quite open so it will be interesting to see what he does here. It's a tough game to call United haven't looked great last few games, attacking or defending, Vidic back obviously helps and Ferguson will have them ready I am sure. I'll be taking United purely because of the price.

Re: England » Barclays Premier League » Oct 22/23 Wolves - Swansea Wolves have lost their last 5 league games and conceded 11 goals, scoring only 2. Swansea have a slightly better record, but they managed to win their last 2 home games while they have lost all of their 4 away games this season. Compared to Wolves Swansea managed to score goals and in their last 4 games they have scored 7 games. However, they defence on the road is very poor and they have conceded 12 goals in 4 away games. This game is hard to call and I am leaning towards the draw however will leave Win-Draw-Win markets and will focus on goals as I can see each side scoring at least 1 goal. Both to Score @ 1.80 (3 units) William Hill

I would love if that were the case but i disagree. City have Silva' date=' Aguero, Balotelli, Dzeko, Johnson, Toure etc etc, if they go a goal behind they will be more than capable of scoring a goal, especially as our defence is very dodge at the moment.. Even if our defence was at its best i would feel City will more than likely get 1 goal.[/quote'] Yes, they have great players BUT we have our best: Jones(Smolings) - Vidic - Ferdinand - Evra plus Fletcher in front of them! Today I've read an interview from Alex Ferguson where he said to the public not to expect many goals. United won't open the game from the start so is City. Who scores first will have huge advantage but if it United I expect City not to score...hopefully!

Re: England » Barclays Premier League » Oct 22/23 Newcastle - Wigan Newcastle did really well against Spurs last weekend and in general are playing good football at the moment. Their last 4 games produced 3 or more goals. Out of last 6 games Wigan played 5 produced 3 or more goals. Out of last 5 games at St. James Park between these two sides 4 games produced 3 or more goals. Bolton - Sunderland Bolton is inconsistent at the moment and they have conceded many goals. Sunderland are not playing good football either and only managed 1 win in their last 10 games and their last 5 games produced 3 goals or more. Sunderland have a good record against Bolton and they beat them in the last 4 games. However, they are missing some important players including Seb Larsson who is suspended so I can see goals in this game as well. So I expect goals in both games. Over 2.5 Goals Double @ 3.72 (1 unit) William Hill

Yes, they have great players BUT we have our best: Jones(Smolings) - Vidic - Ferdinand - Evra plus Fletcher in front of them! Today I've read an interview from Alex Ferguson where he said to the public not to expect many goals. United won't open the game from the start so is City. Who scores first will have huge advantage but if it United I expect City not to score...hopefully!
Vidic looked shaky against Galati and Ferdinand looked shaky against Liverpool, it will take Vidic time to get back into it. Fletcher has gone off the boil completely and im sure it will be Carrick sitting in from of the back four. He may play Smallings right back and play Jones in midfield. It all depends on how City line up tactically as Fergie will have an attack-minded side out at old trafford, if City play 4-4-2 or play 4-5-1 with attacking wingers then it promieses to be goals i would imagine. I am worried about United's defence at the moment and also worried about the way were playing at the moment, not playing good at all. But i still have to be optimistic about a home win as City have only beat Spurs whereas United have beat Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal and picked up good draws away to stoke and liverpool, i dont see City picking up 11 points from them 5 fixtures.

Vidic looked shaky against Galati and Ferdinand looked shaky against Liverpool, it will take Vidic time to get back into it. Fletcher has gone off the boil completely and im sure it will be Carrick sitting in from of the back four. He may play Smallings right back and play Jones in midfield. It all depends on how City line up tactically as Fergie will have an attack-minded side out at old trafford, if City play 4-4-2 or play 4-5-1 with attacking wingers then it promieses to be goals i would imagine. I am worried about United's defence at the moment and also worried about the way were playing at the moment, not playing good at all. But i still have to be optimistic about a home win as City have only beat Spurs whereas United have beat Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal and picked up good draws away to stoke and liverpool, i dont see City picking up 11 points from them 5 fixtures.
I agree that United did not play well lately, but neighter did City (despite winning agaist Everton, AVilla and Villareal). I think the big problems that United experience are in the midfield which cannot create chances for their forwards. So I expect that both teams will play 4-5-1, as I see Rooney playing in the middle as he does lately. Don't know how will be in front but hopefully Nani, Valencia and Ashley Young (2 of these will start I think) will be able to take advantege over Clichy, Kolarov, Richards!!!:hope:hope:hope

Re: England » Barclays Premier League » Oct 22/23 Saturdays games are awful :eek But more importantly I don't see too much to get excited about. Sunday is largely the same, but these for two: United to beat City @ 2.14 United can bring the inferior neighbours down a notch or two on sunday. Having been granted with a nice fuxture list at the beginning of the season, City are flying high at the top of the table with a series of excellent attacking performances. Unfortunately, sunday sees the champions await, and there is no way that these opponents will be so liberal in chance creation come the weekend. Utd can rely upon their cohesive and flexible attack to create and score. One of the most clinical sides in Europe, Hernandez and Rooney rarely waste opportunities in big matches. City's defence, bar Kompany, are horribly inconsistent, and will be exploited come sunday. The only worry is getting to the defence, City's excellent triumvirate of De Jong, Toure and Silva can all boss the United midfield, hence tactics should see the wingers attempt to isolate the City full-backs as much as possible without needing to go through the centre of the pitch. Both defences have looked vulnerable so far, though I think City have not been tested as much as United's, and thus United's defence have been said to look the more insecure. City seem also to choke when they play United, testament to this is the many games they have lost from winning positions the last few times they have played. Fergie's men very very rarely disappoint when a big game comes a-calling, and having not won in the league the past 2 games, I'd be amazed if they don't beat their psuedo-challengers on sunday. Fulham Everton Draw @ 3.3 Fulham have drawn 50% of their games this season, with their home record reading 1-3-0. Jol has made them more pretty attacking wise, though maybe a negative consequence is their increased ability to concede goals, they have only kept a clean sheet against QPR. Coming off the back of a disappointing loss last night to a farcical red card where they had to play the game for the majority of the game with 10 men would not help their level of performance against The Toffees. Crucially key attackers Dempsey and Zamora were rested, so they will be fresh. Everton are in a poor run of form, not helped by a recent tough fixture list, losing against Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea. I believe their squad is similar to Fulham's: usually shown by their league positions at the end of the season which are usually not too far apart. Though Fulham are rightfully favourites with a decent home record for the last few seasons, I think Everton can achieve a draw, having been used to a higher level of opposition than what should await them on sunday. This fixture finished 0-0 last season. Betfair :hope

Blackburn Rovers Vs. Tottenham Hotspurs Selection: Tottenham Hotspurs @ 1.95 Stan James Stake: 9/10 I fancy Tottenham to take all 3 points this weekend against Blackburn and at odds of 1.95 I will be taking Stan James on. The odds for the Tottenham victory have been dropping so I have decided to put my money on before the value drops out of this bet. I would have expected the odds for the away win to be closer to 1.85 and the market seems to be pushing the price towards that line. Tottenham have one of the best starting XI's in the Premiership and are playing well. They are in good form going 4-0-1 in their last 5 EPL games. I watched their performance last weekend away at Newcastle and while they only came away with a 2-2 draw I feel that both teams played very well. Tottenham were also in action this Thursday in the Europa league but fielded a B team so I don't think fatigue will be a problem come Sunday. The only real negative for Spurs at the moment is their defensive worries with King, Gallas, Dawson, and Corluka all set to miss out. Harry Redknap may have to play a midfielder in defense but I don't think it will be a huge issue. Blackburn have really struggled this season and on current evaluation I think they are set for the drop this year. They were able to muster a determined draw last weekend with a 1-1 draw at QPR but were also tonked the week before 4-0 by Man City at home. The week before that they lost 3-1 at Newcastle who Spurs were able to draw 2-2 with. While Blackburn may traditionally have been tough to beat at home I think the tide may have turned. The home advantage for Blackburn may be nullified by a fan protest of Steve Keen's reign as manager. While the players have publicly given their backing of the manager I feel that confidence after recent results (1-2-2 EPL) must be low. With odds close to evens I think the away win looks promising. Good luck :hope
I see Spurs' odds are starting to drop now. They were evens yesterday when I backed them before the Europa League game (which they were lucky to win I must say). Only Bolton have conceded more than Blackburn this season; a team that's lost at home to both Blackburn and Everton already. Facing Adebayor, van der Vaart, Modric, Bale is not a good match up for that. Bale will be attacking an inexperienced Jason Lowe (but I have not seen enough of him to judge/write him off). The Welsh winger should enjoy taking on Michel Salgado too and winning a number of free kicks off the wreckless Spaniard. On the other flank, the pace of Aaron Lennon should see him get past and/or win free kicks off Givet. Spurs rested most of their players yesterday. Kyle Walker seems to play every week so he must be super fit at his young age. Don't worry about any fatigue entering his body this early in the season. Defensively Spurs have problems with injuries, but both Bassong and Kaboul are big enough to deal with any long balls and hopefully the set pieces. Yakubu's not the best mover these days, neither a regular scorer anymore. Hoillet is the one I expect to cause Spurs most problems, but the pacey Walker should keep up with him (whether or not he'll deal with him remains to be seen). Spurs have too much attacking prowess. I, like PinPointPrecision am jumping on an away win.

Re: England » Barclays Premier League » Oct 22/23 No one's mentioned Chelsea on the handicap yet so I will. Since the United game they've been scoring almost at will while QPR have conceded a lot of goals in a few games already this season without playing anyone in the top 7 or even Arsenal. Danny Sturridge looks hot up front and I expect him to get on the scoresheet as Chelsea bag a few at Loftus Road on Sunday. The Hoops defence is weak (Ferdinand, Hall, Traore) and with DJ Campbell injured there's not much going for them in the way of attack (SWP against Ashley Cole is a good match up). I am fairly confident Chelsea -1 and even Chelsea -2 will come in this weekend and I'll take the first one of those bets :hope

With regard to the Fulham Everton game. I seem to remember an amazing stat that when they play each other' date=' the home side has always won. Is this still the case.?[/quote'] No, Everton won 2-0 away in 2009 and had a 0-0 draw in 2010.. However most of the time the home side wins!

With regard to the Fulham Everton game. I seem to remember an amazing stat that when they play each other' date=' the home side has always won. Is this still the case.?[/quote'] If you look at past meetings the home side has usually won and I think this happened 6 or 7 times in a row for each but Everton got a 0-0 draw at Craven Cottage last season.

Re: England » Barclays Premier League » Oct 22/23 I know Newcastle have had a fantastic start to the season, but 1.62 is a shockingly short price in my opinion. I know Wigan and Newcastle have had contrasting starts to the season but I really don't think any side outside the "big six" deserve such a short price at home in the Premier League.

I know Newcastle have had a fantastic start to the season' date=' but 1.62 is a shockingly short price in my opinion. I know Wigan and Newcastle have had contrasting starts to the season but I really don't think any side outside the "big six" deserve such a short price at home in the Premier League.[/quote'] Yeh I agree the price stinks but what else can we expect from a premier league coupon? I saw the highlights of the Wigan V Bolton game last week and the scoreline didn't reflect the balance of play but the bottom line was Wigan's terrible defending. Alcatraz in particular was appauling and Martinez will have his work cut out to get his team feeling positive after last weeks fiasco. It's not a game I'll be getting involved with as I have no idea of what the morale is like at Wigan.

I know Newcastle have had a fantastic start to the season' date=' but 1.62 is a shockingly short price in my opinion. I know Wigan and Newcastle have had contrasting starts to the season but I really don't think any side outside the "big six" deserve such a short price at home in the Premier League.[/quote'] As Phantom says NUFC aren't a great price but I think they will win easily. I'm a NUFC fan and have watched nearly every game this season, the whole squad are playing for each other and look steady at the back and lethal up front. I expect Santon to come in and make his debut in place of Simpson tomorrow and that alone will add strangth to the defence as Simpson has been the weak link since last year. Tiote & Cabaye work very well in the midfield and the front two of Best & Ba are feeding off each other but have other forwards such as Shola & Ben Arfa breathing down their necks keeping them on their toes. Newcastle to win @ 8/13 Tote 10/10 Newcastle to win 3-1 @ 12-1 Skybet 5/10 Cabaye to score anytime @ 9/2 Skybet 5/10 :ok:ok:ok:ok:ok:ok:ok:ok:ok:ok:ok

Re: England » Barclays Premier League » Oct 22/23 Liverpool Vs. Norwich City Selection: Norwich City +1.5 @ 2.04 Pinnacle Stake: 8/10 As has previously been mentioned by AIDYMAC and H1 I too think Liverpool are looking short this weekend and will be backing Norwich on the handicap. Norwich have been a solid outfit so far this season and gave Chelsea a fright in the season opener at Stamford Bridge before going down 3-1 after having their keeper sent off. Norwich also were unlucky to lose by a couple when they missed some good chances against Man Utd at Old Trafford. These are the only 2 losses where Norwich have gone down by a 2 goal margin in this season's EPL. The Canaries are coming off a convincing 3-1 over Swansea and I think they geninuely will believe they can get something out of this game. Liverpool are certainly a better team then they were last season but I think there has been an overreaction in the market after they were the marginally better team against Man Utd last weekend. In my opinion Man Utd fielded a weakened team and did not look sharp against Liverpool. Steven Gerrard's return may have boosted spirits among Liverpool fans but I don't think he automatically comes in and becomes a match winner. His free kick goal against Man Utd was actually very poor and Stevie G even admitted that he was trying to lift it over the wall not put it through. Liverpool have yet to beat any team by more than a couple this season and are 2-2-1 in recent form in the EPL. Last season Liverpool struggled greatly against the newly promoted teams going 2-4! Another factor for me wanting to take Norwich on the handicap is the fact Liverpool played a midweek friendly against Rangers. Now admittedly this was mostly a B team fielded but I really don't understand why Liverpool are playing friendlies during the regular season. If Liverpool have taken their eye off the ball then I hope Norwich under the excellent leadership of Paul Lambert will be able to capitalize. Norwich to give Liverpool a real fight, good luck. :hope

Re: England » Barclays Premier League » Oct 22/23 Does anyone else feel Arsenal are being priced up on reputation? I look at that Gunners price and it looks suspiciously like a bog-standard 'Top 4 vs. Mid Table' price. However, regardless of Stoke's deficiencies this season, do Arsenal's performances this season merit them being given such a price? Would be interested to hear peoples views. P.S. Have a couple of picks but will post them up sometime tonight given chance.

Does anyone else feel Arsenal are being priced up on reputation? I look at that Gunners price and it looks suspiciously like a bog-standard 'Top 4 vs. Mid Table' price. However, regardless of Stoke's deficiencies this season, do Arsenal's performances this season merit them being given such a price? Would be interested to hear peoples views. P.S. Have a couple of picks but will post them up sometime tonight given chance.
I would say odds on Arsenal are fair and Stoke is not so good away from home. Also Arsenal have a good record against Stoke at home.

Re: England » Barclays Premier League » Oct 22/23 For tomorrow Wolves vs Swansea – over 2.5 goals 2.05 at Bet365 (2.5 units) There’s been 2 or more goals in all of Wolves home games this season, and with them coming up against a confident and attack minded Swansea team it bodes well for more goals. Wolves need to win soon and are likely to push hard for the win here. This will suit Swansea who with the pace of Sinclair, Routledge and Dyer can cause a few problems on the attack. Liverpool vs Norwich – Both to score 2.20 at Ladbrokes (2.5 units) Norwich have impressed me when I’ve seen them in recent weeks and although I’m not confident enough in backing them on the handicap, I can definitely see them scoring here. They have shown a lot of good attacking play in recent weeks even on their trip to Old Trafford and I expect them to trouble this Liverpool defence as well. I think ultimately Liverpool should get the win, but defensively I don’t rate them that much and although they’ve had 2 clean sheets already this season both of these have come against teams who have had a player sent off which I feel slighty distorts the stats. Additionally with Lucas suspended this could hinder them defensively as he is much better at that side of the game than Adam or Gerrard.

I know Newcastle have had a fantastic start to the season' date=' but 1.62 is a shockingly short price in my opinion. I know Wigan and Newcastle have had contrasting starts to the season but I really don't think any side outside the "big six" deserve such a short price at home in the Premier League.[/quote'] I have to admit, I thought the same. But I find it very hard to judge. Pre-season I'd have said yes, Newcastle and Wigan should both be bottom ten. Based on that 1.62 for the home side would have been far too short. However, Newcastle do look a lot better defensively this season, and although I don't believe they have that great a forward line still, they have still been finding the net enough. Last weekend against Spurs I didn't think they tested Brad Friedel that much, and it was only in the last ten minutes prior to and following the equaliser that they really came alive, and could have won it at the death. For me, it's whether they can maintain those performance levels past a certain point, and judging whether or not there is a slight overreaction in the market to a game between two sides that shouldn't be that far apart is a tough one. Wigan have been tipped for relegation the last two seasons, and now they've lost one of their better midfielders, they still lack a core spine to the side. Conceding three at home to Bolton would be a worry for me. Still, given everything I'd still want about 1.8 for the Newcastle victory... This is another contest that is so hard to call. Based on previous seasons I'd have lumped on a 1.60'ish price for Arsenal against Stoke. But, it does seem like Stoke are improving, while Arsenal aren't getting any better, and seem to be declining. Although they've been picking up results they are still struggling to put sides to bed, and have fairly big defensive problems still. They'd have lost midweek had Marseille had anything resembling a forward line. The key for me is the absence of Vermaelen. Until he's back they will struggle defensively. Interesting to note that Stoke have scored the highest (67%) amount of goals from set pieces in the EPL, which could be a route past this shaky Arsenal defense. Although, Stoke have never drawn away in London, and have scored only one goal, and managed six shots on target away to Arsenal. Stoke also have the lowest shots on target ratio in the EPL at a mere 21. I think it's clear that Arsenal really need to keep possession better in order to beat Stoke here. I'd speculate Stoke have always done poorly because they haven't previously been able to get anywhere near the Arsenal players, and possession has been key. This season from what I've witnessed, Arsenal have struggled with possession, especially when put under pressure, and have been giving away a lot of free kicks when losing the ball, probably through frustration. Against Stoke that would be suicide, as I expect them to put Arsenal under pressure, and to play their natural game against them. Based on that I think this is a game to swerve, or back Stoke in some capacity. They're just the side Arsenal don't want to face right now.

No one's mentioned Chelsea on the handicap yet so I will. Since the United game they've been scoring almost at will while QPR have conceded a lot of goals in a few games already this season without playing anyone in the top 7 or even Arsenal. Danny Sturridge looks hot up front and I expect him to get on the scoresheet as Chelsea bag a few at Loftus Road on Sunday. The Hoops defence is weak (Ferdinand, Hall, Traore) and with DJ Campbell injured there's not much going for them in the way of attack (SWP against Ashley Cole is a good match up). I am fairly confident Chelsea -1 and even Chelsea -2 will come in this weekend and I'll take the first one of those bets :hope
I agree, and playing after the Manchester derby means they can make up ground on at least one of the teams and possibly go in to second place, so i would expect a quick start from the Blues. They have been scoring freely lately and (whisper it) Torres is starting to find some form. Still quite early but Chelsea -1.5 AH@ 2.06 with Betfair looks tasty.

I agree' date=' and playing after the Manchester derby means they can make up ground on at least one of the teams and possibly go in to second place, so i would expect a quick start from the Blues. They have been scoring freely lately and (whisper it) [b']Torres is starting to find some form. Still quite early but Chelsea -1.5 AH@ 2.06 with Betfair looks tasty.
I think the same in regards to Chelsea, they are looking slick but Torres is out of this one serving the last of his 3 match ban. QPR really don't seem to know how to play at the moment in the premiership. They looked really good when drawing 0-0 at home to Newcastle, a game when they could have had 3+ if the strikers/midfielders had put on their shooting boots. Chelsea should win this comfortably and the returning Mata could be a good shout on the anytime scorers radar. This Sunday looks like one of the best in a while for bets with Spurs also standing out after resting most first teamers in the narrow win over Ruban. the one main concern for them is the lack of central defenders, whether Blackburn have enough to trouble them however is a different question!!

Re: England » Barclays Premier League » Oct 22/23 can i get QPR +5 :rollin not sure we stand a chance although it is THE derby for us, and we have to be up for this need some luck to get anything vs Chelsea but i suppose best we can hope for is Draw - Chelsea ht/ft result? Chelsea on the handicap as others have said will be popular. I expect we will line up 4-5-1 for this with the only choice to make is either Bothroyd or Helguson up top

Re: England » Barclays Premier League » Oct 22/23 Even as the most biased of city fans, I can't help feeling United are tempting at evens with Bet365. I don't have the stats to hand, but their record at Old Trafford recently is quite intimidating. Plus the fact Mancini will almost certainly shut up shop, which plays into United's hands. 1-0 or 2-0 a likely scoreline, imo.

maximize.gif Bolton Wanderers v Sunderland
I think Sunderland can nick this game. Bolton have been poor at home losing all 4 games... 1-5 to chelsea, 1-2 to norwich, 0-5 to manu, 2-3 to mancity conceding 15 goals in the process. Granted you can say Sunderlands away form isnt much better... but a 1-1 draw at Anfield and a narrow 2-1 defeat at Arsenal, where they actually played very well, gives plenty of reasons for optimism. With Bendtner and Bardsley returning and given Boltons home record the value def stands out for a Sunderland win at the prices. Sunderland to beat Bolton 5/2 Bet365 Gl all

Man United to beat Man City @ 2.10 (Bet365:6pts) United at over evens - I'd back them at home against any side in Europe tbh. United have been absolutely formidable at home in recent years, this season alone they've already beaten Spurs 3-0, us 8-2 and Chelsea 3-1. Rooney was restored to the side last night and scored a couple, they can also partner Rio and Vidic together for this one with both fit, that makes a big difference. City have started the season well but can Mancini go to a big side away and deliver, I'm doubtful. I'd guess that he'll pick a hard-working side and may start with a couple of attackers on the bench, possibly Aguero or Nasri(who has been crap for City so far). Big game for both sides but I was expecting 1.8-1.9 for a United win here so this is value to me.
Not an expert follower of either side, but with their points advantage and Mancini's defensive trait, I tend to think City will go defensive and try to defend the draw rather than going for the win. This might hand the initiative to United, making them decent value for the win.

Re: England » Barclays Premier League » Oct 22/23 Can't believe so many people think Man United are value at just over evens. Everything I've seen in the Premier League this season indicates that the two Manchester clubs are very evenly matched sides. Their recent encounters back that up also. It took an amazing comeback in the Community Shield for Man United to win that game and last season's meeting at Old Trafford took a Rooney over-head shin to grab the win. Man City also go into this game with a full strength side and have the added benefit of having played their Champions League game a day earlier and not having to travel away for their CL game. People will obviously point to Man United's superb home record over the past seasons, which is obviously a valid point. But for me this is Man United's most difficult home game in the Premier League for the past three seasons.