Champions Day

TheRat

Anyone going? I was going to go, but found out today there are works on the London to Ascot line so bus replacements etc and cannot be bothered now. Can't quite believe they are dong it this weekend. Thoughts? Have put a small amount on Nehaam EW at 50s for the Long Distance race. F&G not reliable imo, Opinion Poll worthy fave as consistent sort. Then Times Up and although beat Nehaam LTO and had weight considering the prices Nehaam doesn't have loads to fine, one is about 4/1 and the other 50/1! Gosden says he will run and is in good nick so I expect the price to come in. Been looking at the Champion Stakes and with Nathaniel unlikely to run I have backed Dubai Prince EW at 12s. A top 2 yr old for Weld, who said he was the best 2yr old he trained since Grey Swallow. I was very impressed with his return in a conditions race and am a fan of Al Zarooni. Still unexposed and likely to improve again with the 10f he looks the value to me. SYT might not run, and even if he does he has had a hard season. I had a small bet on Twice Over who of course is a true 10f horse and has won this twice, the ground is likely to be without cut and this may go against him slightly but he won the Eclipse on fast ground. Midday has a good record but mainly against her own sex and this could be wide open. Again I can't see Dubai Prince going off at 12/1. I have already backed Society Rock in the Sprint, been chatting with Milen about this one. Only been beaten by Starspangledbanner at Ascot he must have a good chance. There is a chance Deacon Blues may not run if too quick ground according to trainer, Bated goes to Canada, the French horse is a danger but this is not a strong race in depth and Society must be in the mix, only concern is a smaller field but at the price certainly worth an EW bet Fully expect Frankel to win, no bet race, just enjoy!

Re: Champions Day Haven't backed anything yet myself but tempted by Frankel to win by over 3l, especially now with all these whip guidelines. If he gets into a good rhythm they could all be eased down in behind. In the sprint ill be on Wizz Kid if rain arrives but good or faster and probably won't bother. 14/1 at the minute in a place. Been unlucky several times this season and his jockey got going all too late last time. Reversed form with Prohibit and Margot Did that day in the Abbaye though and as a 3yo will get wfa. Think Fame and Glory could win the stayers race but given his quirks won't be financially involved. In the Champion Stakes think So You Think will gain compensation for the Arc defeat, as this is his best trip. Again, an unimaginative pick though and won't be backing at 2/1.

Re: Champions Day Apaprently there are trains now but going via Kingston rather than the usual route. The amount of people trying to get on a bus replacement would have been silly Backed Gertrude Bell in the Fillies EW at 14s which seems silly, and she is half that with some firms (Coral stand out). She will be retired after the race but 12f on good ground is her bag, beating the fav here LTO in a Listed race comfortably. In fact I am really struggling to see why she is so big here, unbeaten this year? Does someone know something I don't?!

Re: Champions Day

Backed Gertrude Bell in the Fillies EW at 14s which seems silly, and she is half that with some firms (Coral stand out). She will be retired after the race but 12f on good ground is her bag, beating the fav here LTO in a Listed race comfortably. In fact I am really struggling to see why she is so big here, unbeaten this year? Does someone know something I don't?!
think this is why mate
RP form comment for Vita Nova: Held up, took keen hold, headway 4f out, tracking leaders when saddle slipped over 1f out, rider took feet out of irons and almost unseated inside final furlong, stuck on well near finish
that said, I agree with you that 14's is too big if the favourite Vita Nova is 3's.

Re: Champions Day We've yet to see the final decs but it looks as though it's going to be a resounding success ! Mouthwatering days racing.............not only are the big guns turning out but the French are coming in force The BHA must be 'over the moon' that Frankel, So You think, Nathaniel, Fame and Glory, Deacon Blues, Moonlight Cloud etc are all due to line up. I thought last week's Future Champions day was fantastic as well......... Have the BHA got something right...........:lol

Re: Champions Day Yes, both been declared but unless we get rain which isn't forecast then can't see them running. Cheers Fin - you are right but even so (as you say) 14s is still a huge price and I can't quite understand why Am going now as well. Can't wait. I'd say this has been a success with the fields. Chat about moving it next year to September

Re: Champions Day Racing is pretty awful this week and I can't find one to be jumping up and down about so I have studied the card for the great "Champions Day" at Ascot on Saturday. You've guessed it nothing there either. Well there is but I think the price is a bit stingy! In the sprint I guess everyone will be jumping on DEACON BLUES (140 my adjusted time figure) and that's fair comment as he is rapidly improving but the one to beat is definitely the French raider MOONLIGHT CLOUD (143+ adj time figure). Both of these sprinters are for me in a league of their own but the French filly won a Group One last time out in scintillating style and is clearly smart. I would like to see a little more rain which will suit both of them but at 0/30 it has to be the French girl although I will be hoping to get 4/1 somewhere! FRANKEL is about 8lbs clear (on my figures) but I think he will have a fight on his hands and don't be surprised to see DICK TURPIN thereabouts although 3 year olds have a very good record in this race. Happy punting

Re: Champions Day Just curious as to what people think about Meeznah on Saturday. I really fancy her but the only slight doubt for me is the drop in trip. She has been beaten by a couple of these on her return to action this year but I think she is very much on the improve. She travels strongly through her races which is why I don't think the drop in trip will be too much of a problem.

Re: Champions Day Probably would have backed her in the long distance race, the extra distance really has made the difference but I can't back her over this trip. She could go in but I just think the trip is too sharp and there are genuine 12f horses there. Her Oaks run was very good but this season it has been all about real stamina tests which she has thrived on

Re: Champions Day Quick question, tomorrow theres a few Frenchies racing. The good old whip rule, how will it affect them? do they get a ban from riding in this country or banned from racing everywhere? I was just wondering about Mosse on Immortal Verse. If he only gets banned from British racing I'm sure he wouldn't take much notice of the rule as he doesn't ride much here. Sorry if this is a silly question.

Quick question' date=' tomorrow theres a few Frenchies racing. The good old whip rule, how will it affect them? do they get a ban from riding in this country or banned from racing everywhere? I was just wondering about Mosse on Immortal Verse. If he only gets banned from British racing I'm sure he wouldn't take much notice of the rule as he doesn't ride much here. Sorry if this is a silly question.[/quote'] Interesting point, The French runners would indeed have an unfair advantage if any suspension only applied to the UK, Surely the penalty would be carried over to France if not they will be going into the race knowing they have the slight upper hand.

Re: Champions Day 1.50 Ascot - Long Distance Cup Fancied Fame And Glory at first but Jamie has said he feels the horse isn't the same in the last few runs and I'm now doubting whether he can reproduce his best form. Apparently Frankie feels Opinion Poll will need plenty of stoking along - with the new whip rules now in place that could be a worry. The value has gone from Times Up, winner of a 2m Listed race ahead of Chiberta King at Newmarket last time so I'm gonna take a punt on the forgotten one, DARLEY SUN. Promised big things when landing the Cesarewitch and although hasn't gone on as hoped since joining Godolphin, has only had one run this year when travelling well for such a long way in the Chester Cup until weakening in the finish. He paid for sitting in third behind Overturn and Tastahill but no dropped back to 2m, at a track where he has winning form, he could spring a shock here under William Buick and grab place money.

Re: Champions Day Cracking day in prospect and a real chance to have a go at the placepot. In the 1.50 I am against fame and glory. AOB was on the ATR preview show and didnt inspire confidence, only if the money comes would i consider backing him. Tempted to banker Times Up but will probably include Nehaam as well, value, unexposed and excellent trainer. 2.25Agree with earlier posts regarding Society Rock, excellent course form, think ground will take care of Deacon B and most of the french raiders. Think Dafeef might be overpriced at 33's. Beat DB last year, run over 7 this year and stiff 6 might be perfect for him. 3.00 tough race. Dont like Meeznah at trip, want to oppose fav, Banimpire has had a long season. Dancing Rain won a weak Oaks. Think unexposed Ferdoos will def be in first 3 and Gertrude Bell also decent value. Might just banker Ferdoos, will decide later. 3.35 Frankel as a mate told me he'll win. 4.10 SYT took his racing well in Aus, running 6 times between end of Aug and beginning of Nov so a quick turn out after Arc not neccessarily a problem. Back at 10f think he'll be in 1st 3. Dubai Prince to chase him home. 4.45 Pearl Ice being backed tonight so obviously a mark of 89 might be considered in reach for twice raced 3 yr old. Sir Mark more than capable of getting one ready and decent apprentice, who will know the horse booked. 2 at longer prices, Valencha who has hep of maybe best apprentice around in H Bentley on his back, and trainer Morrison in decent enough form, and finally Castles In The Air who has won over CD and is dropping in weights. Again Lee Topliss will know him well and can see him running better than recent form suggests he might, 2x2x1x1x2x3 I have gone for a few lines but at big meetings always a bit of dead money in the pool and so hopefully worth it. Might include Gertrude in leg 3....What a day in prospect

Re: Champions Day That long distance race is a bit of a head scrather and I eventually decided to leave it alone. 5/2 about F&G could look very big come 2pm but I couldn't back him with any confidence. One I took a flyer on in the Champion Stakes was Casamento ew at 33/1. If he has trained on then he could well hit the frame. I like backing Godolphin outsiders when they have a few runners and hopefully I'll get a run for my money. Ferdoos was the only horse I am particularly sweet on tomorrow.

Re: Champions Day 4.10 Ascot - Cirrus des Aigles - win at 9/1 bog PP I've been following this horse all season and will give him a last chance to win a group one race He's been beaten a quarter length by both Goldikova and Sarafina in midsummer group one races. Since then he's gone on the rampage in group 2 and 3, winning by 3, 8 and 10 lengths Being a gelding he wasn't eligible for the Arc so had the luxury of a prep run for today on Arc weekend following a break of 5 weeks. He's a horse that thrives on racing so he'll probably come on a bit for that prep run, which wasn't too shaby, beaten a nose in a group two giving weight to a group one winner Obviously the worry is that he always finds one too good at the very top level so this has to be his last chance saloon So You Think is the most likely winner but we don't know how he's come out of the Arc. That was a very fast run race and could take some recovering from. The same applies to Snow Fairy, who finished ahead of him. Midday has never won against colts Nathaniel might find this trip on good ground too sharp Of the 6 horses at the top of the betting Dubai Prince is the dark horse. Came back from injury to win a class 3 stakes race last time. He's a lightly raced 3 year old who appeared to be just about the best 2 year old in ireland last year before going to Godolphin. I'm put off by the fact he's been injured I see the race panning out with Cirrus prominent and kicking for home a furlong or so out............So You think, Midday and Snow Fairy chasing him down But will they catch him ?

Re: Champions Day 3.00 - Dancing Rain I like the chances of the 3 year old oaks winner here getting 7 lbs from the older fillies After making all at epsom they tried holding her up in the Irish Oaks and it didn't work Next time in Germany they went back to plan A and she demolished the field I think Ascot suits prominent runners as there are a couple of sharp turns and if she can get a lead and wind it up from the home bend she could be difficult to peg back As a saver I'd have Meeznah - she stays well and her stamina could come into play if it's a fast run race which probably wouldn't suit Dancing Rain

4.10 Ascot - Cirrus des Aigles - win at 9/1 bog PP I've been following this horse all season and will give him a last chance to win a group one race He's been beaten a quarter length by both Goldikova and Sarafina in midsummer group one races. Since then he's gone on the rampage in group 2 and 3, winning by 3, 8 and 10 lengths Being a gelding he wasn't eligible for the Arc so had the luxury of a prep run for today on Arc weekend following a break of 5 weeks. He's a horse that thrives on racing so he'll probably come on a bit for that prep run, which wasn't too shaby, beaten a nose in a group two giving weight to a group one winner Obviously the worry is that he always finds one too good at the very top level so this has to be his last chance saloon So You Think is the most likely winner but we don't know how he's come out of the Arc. That was a very fast run race and could take some recovering from. The same applies to Snow Fairy, who finished ahead of him. Midday has never won against colts Nathaniel might find this trip on good ground too sharp Of the 6 horses at the top of the betting Dubai Prince is the dark horse. Came back from injury to win a class 3 stakes race last time. He's a lightly raced 3 year old who appeared to be just about the best 2 year old in ireland last year before going to Godolphin. I'm put off by the fact he's been injured I see the race panning out with Cirrus prominent and kicking for home a furlong or so out............So You think, Midday and Snow Fairy chasing him down But will they catch him ?
Cracking shout fella.:clap