** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 Here are my first picks on the forum. I hope they are of some use!:hope Ipswich V Northampton Pick: Ipswich (-1AH) Odds: SkyBet 11/10 Stake: 5/10 Ipswich will be missing loanee goalkeeper David Stockdale who has been called up to the England squad. Ipswich faced Northampton in this competition last season on their way to the Semi-Finals and came out 3-1 winners and I would predict a similar result here again. I think Paul Jewell will be keen to get a nice winning streak going and would probably fancy a crack at winning the competition outright. Ipswich are coming off the back of a great win at Bristol City at the weekend which saw them go top of table (for now!) whilst Northampton could only manage a gritty 0-0 at home to Accrington. Burnley V Burton Pick: Burnley (-1AH) Odds: SkyBet 11/10 Stake: 3/10 Burnley beat Burton in the FA Cup last season at home 3-1 which I believe is the only time the two sides have met. To my knowledge Burton have yet to win a League Cup game and lost 4-1 to Cardiff last season in the first round. Both teams drew 2-2 at the weekend but I feel Watford are typically strong on the opening day and I wasn't suprised that they nearly won. Burnley have a good record at coming back into games too which makes me feel they should get the right result. Good luck to all!:hope

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charlton Athletic VS Reading

England Carling Cup 2011-8-9 02:45 Having lost to the rival in the playoff in last season, Reading lost the chance to be promoted to the Premier League. The team were then out of confidence until the summer transfer. They now back to the right track and are ready to play into the Premier again. The squad has kept successfully the key attackers as well as experienced defender. Fighting with a weak team like Charlton, the visitors will be looking to win. 12BET is offering Reading handicap at 0/0.5, Over/Under 2.5, Odds for 1X2 are: 2.75, 3.12, 2.53

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11

Here are my first picks on the forum. I hope they are of some use!:hope Ipswich V Northampton Pick: Ipswich (-1AH) Odds: SkyBet 11/10 Stake: 5/10 Ipswich will be missing loanee goalkeeper David Stockdale who has been called up to the England squad. Ipswich faced Northampton in this competition last season on their way to the Semi-Finals and came out 3-1 winners and I would predict a similar result here again. I think Paul Jewell will be keen to get a nice winning streak going and would probably fancy a crack at winning the competition outright. Ipswich are coming off the back of a great win at Bristol City at the weekend which saw them go top of table (for now!) whilst Northampton could only manage a gritty 0-0 at home to Accrington. Burnley V Burton Pick: Burnley (-1AH) Odds: SkyBet 11/10 Stake: 3/10 Burnley beat Burton in the FA Cup last season at home 3-1 which I believe is the only time the two sides have met. To my knowledge Burton have yet to win a League Cup game and lost 4-1 to Cardiff last season in the first round. Both teams drew 2-2 at the weekend but I feel Watford are typically strong on the opening day and I wasn't suprised that they nearly won. Burnley have a good record at coming back into games too which makes me feel they should get the right result. Good luck to all!:hope
:welcome to PL BatemanBex. Perfect first post. :ok

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 Doncaster - Tranmere: Tranmere (DNB) @ 3.25 (Stan James) 10/10 The odds offered for Tranmere are quite generous, I think. Doncaster is coming off of a disappointing opener to the season. They held a 0-1 lead at Brighton but choked in the end (last 10 minutes or so) and lost 2-1 with a goal deep into injury time. It revealed sloppiness and gaps in defense, I think. The hosts' confidence cannot be too high after such a loss. Reports indicate that Doncaster will be without quite a few regular players for this match. Tranmere managed a 1-0 win at home against Chesterfield and they go into this cup match with a positive frame of mind. Finally, in the last 7 H2H matches Doncaster and Tranmere have played to 6 draws and 1 win for Tranmere. At the beginning of the season in a cup match the odds for Tranmere's win, with complete draw cover, are just too attractive in spite of the difference in League level. Brighton - Gillingham: Draw @ 4.44 (Pinnacle) 10/10 Arguably, Brighton was a bit lucky to get a win at its new home stadium (2-1) against Doncaster in the season opener. They equalised at about the 82' minute and then won the match deep into injury time. Gillingham started the season on the right foot with a home win against Chesterfield so they go into this match with a positve frame of mind. Of note is Gillingham's last 11 away results where they have a 3-7-1 record that indicates a huge propensity for the draw (likely stems from their weakness in offense). Despite the league difference, I don't think the short odds for Brighton are justified and the draw provides a good value bet.

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 Wycombe v Colchester - Over 2.5 @ 2.10 - B365 - 3pts This is the first of a double header for these two when they both also meet in the league at the weekend. Wycombe drew 1-1 with Scunthorpe on Saturday and Gary Waddock has already stated how much more quality there is in L1 as opposed to L2. Scunthorpe had 11 shots on target and had they been more clinical they could have won by a comfortable margin. Colchester travelled to much fancied Preston and had a gameplan that worked extremely well. Their defence isn't the best but their counter attacking play was top notch. John Ward said that their major problem last year was scoring goals away from home but they have been working hard over the summer to improve on their goalscoring record. Looking at the stats it looked like an evenly balanced game. Being a cup tie and all, I fancy this to go over the line. Unders are priced up extremely low which is risky as teams go at each other more openly then a League game.

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 big single on Southampton for me tonight at 4/9 with paddy power they should be able to see of league 2 opponents Southampton looked good on saturday and played some nice stuff they look like they will be a good home side this year torquay only managed a draw at home on saturday and southampton should have enough to get the victory :hope

big single on Southampton for me tonight at 4/9 with paddy power they should be able to see of league 2 opponents Southampton looked good on saturday and played some nice stuff they look like they will be a good home side this year torquay only managed a draw at home on saturday and southampton should have enough to get the victory :hope
I very much doubt the same players will be starting tonight looking at Adkins' comments.

I very much doubt the same players will be starting tonight looking at Adkins' comments.
I still think that the players coming in are good enough to see off Torquay who themselves are missing their best player in Billy Kee. Adkins has hinted that Chaplow,Schneiderlein,Seabourne,De Ridder among others could start and imo they should see them off handy enough.I'm just going to take them on the -1 Asian Handicap Bet365 Southampton -1 AH @ 1.625 v Torquay

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 Wycombe v Colchester: LAY Wycombe 2.68 (Liability 1pt) Wycombe had, frankly a beating in the first game of the season and it was one of those games where they could not complain if they had lost 3-1. Arguably they were much weakened, and these main players are still out for this game, and Ben Strevens got a red card and will be suspended. Colchester have developed into a solid League One side under John Ward and got a great 4-2 result at Preston on the first day of the season. Not too many changes promised for them tonight and I see them as the stronger team here. Preston v Crewe: Preston 1.75 (1pt, Betfair) Great value odds here for a top League One side against what may be a lower League Two side. Minus the goals of Clayton Donaldson, Crewe may be in for a real tough year and they got a big beating 3-0 at Swindon. Gradi has threatened changes here but most likely, these will be young players and it could be a real youthful side. It's possible that Phil Brown may make changes here but after defeat in the first game I believe he will be less likely to experiment to avoid getting the fans on his back. In the last game they created plenty of chances against a solid Colchester side. Against a weaker attack and defence, this should be enough to see them through.

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 Just to point out to all those betting on Wycombe-Colchester, the game is a fairly intense rivalry after the two sides had many battles a few years ago in attempts to get out of the Conference. They don't get on too well. Maybe something to consider and be aware of when making bets for this game. Tough set of fixtures tonight to pick. Need more thought and team news before deciding what to do I think.

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 Bury v Coventry I am happy to oppose my team (Coventry) again this week, although with a bit of margin for error in the DNB. Im sure a few of you saw the Leicester game on Saturday, and while we were OK for the first 30 minutes, there was only one side in it after that. It didn't help going a man down but that doesn't disguise the fact that we were pretty poor. Bury on the other hand secured a battling draw at much-fancied Huddersfield, so I think morale will be high there going into this one. Bury will definitely fancy they can nick it. We also have a depressing history of losing EXACTLY these sort of games. Doncaster v Tranmere As a couple of other posters have alluded to, Doncaster have more than their fair share of injury woes to contend with tonight. The late goals that they conceded at Brighton on Saturday will also have hit them hard, especially due to the carnival atmosphere that ensued at the home side's new stadium after the late winner. I think Donny will be shaken and Tranmere can take advantage of that tonight. Bury DNB (2.00 @ Paddy Power) Tranmere DNB (2.87 @ Paddy Power) Double @ 5.74

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 Accrington Stanley v Scunthorpe: Over 2.5 Goals - Evens @ Coral, Ladbrokes,PaddyPower,Stan James. If you remember last season, Stanley were known for their attacking football at the Crown Ground, going overs countless numbers of times at the back end of last season. I expect it to continue, their only friendly at home this season -against Blackburn- went overs. I also remember Stanley's game against Newcastle last season in the Carling Cup finishing 4-3 so they're no pushovers against higher opposition. Scunthorpe manager Alan Knill has come out and said " we will take the game to Accrington" Scunthorpe are also set to be unchanged.

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 Some info regarding OVER and BTS bets :ok Carling Cup 1st Round 2010 - 19 OVER (17 BTS) Carling Cup 1st Round 2009 - 24 OVER (16 BTS) Carling Cup 1st Round 2008 - 16 OVER (14 BTS) Carling Cup 1st Round 2007 - 20 OVER (19 BTS) 1st Round = total 35 games cheers mates

Sport Football (England - Cups)
Event Doncaster v Tranmere
Selection Doncaster
Strength 10/10
Date 09/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 1.90
Reasoning Doncaster will surely play to the finsih of this game as i see their opponent not as strong as they are and with the likes of attacking forwards the home team have i think this is a plus for them to claim the 3point here at home and they will surely do that as this will guarantee them for the next round of the carling cup.

Event Portsmouth v Barnet
Selection Portsmouth (-2) (Asian-handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 09/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 3.20
Reasoning Portsmouth start with a draw againts the Middlesbrough at away and i think that is a very good result for ,this indicate they are in their form and playing tonight againts the likes of barnet i can't see the away team posing any chalennge here in this game as the home team will surely overcome the asian handicap of -2 giving to them i think they should win this very game with ease.
:ok

Event Southampton v Torquay
Selection Over 2.5 Total Goals
Strength 10/10
Date 09/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 1.65
Reasoning the home team demolish the likes of leeds united at the last weekend game in the champioship in 3-1 which make them Torquay will have nothing in this game rather than wanting to settle for a drw but the attacking ofre of the home team Southampton will surely do their damages as they did to leeds they are going to win this game but with more goals as i see the games.

Event Exeter v Yeovil
Selection Exeter
Strength 10/10
Date 09/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 2.20
Reasoning the home team Exeter is te one i think should be able to claim a win as they are very strong team with the home advantage i think they should be able to shut up the away team yeovil who will want to draw i this game but with the way Exeter play their game i can say they have a win in this game.

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 Two more to add to the pot. Gone for lays as at this early stage of the season I want a bit of cover on the draw. Hereford v Brentford: LAY Hereford (3.55, 1pt liability) Satisfied with Brentford's start to the season - a deserved win against Yeovil. Rosler has said there will be changes, but not too many and with Brentford's good depth of squad, this should not be be too bad a thing. In any case, the big hints are that McDonald will be starting up front with Donaldson (which is what I want to see). McGinn is out on international duty, but I still think they'll have too much for Hereford. They started out with a limp performance at Southend and there is some discontent among the fans that they are getting a unbalanced squad. On their day potentially a decent side but Brentford already know from last season the way to play in the cups. Accrington Stanley v Scunthorpe: Lay Accrington 3.1 (1pt liability) More of confidence in Scunthorpe, who played a great match on Saturday and there should be few changes ahead. With Andy Barcham perhaps going for inclusion in the squad, I feel the extra quality that Scunthorpe have will mean goals for them, and will score enough to avoid defeat.

SportFootball (England - Cups)
EventPortsmouth v Barnet
SelectionPortsmouth (-2) (Asian-handicap)
Strength10/10
Date09/08/2011
Bookmaker/PriceBet365 @ 3.20
ReasoningPortsmouth start with a draw againts the Middlesbrough at away and i think that is a very good result for ,this indicate they are in their form and playing tonight againts the likes of barnet i can't see the away team posing any chalennge here in this game as the home team will surely overcome the asian handicap of -2 giving to them i think they should win this very game with ease.
:ok
Please be aware that we will be without Herman Hreidarsson, Tal Ben Haim, Jason Pearce and Liam Lawrence tonight :ok

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 Sport Football (England - Cups) Event Accrington - Scunthorpe Selection over 2.5 Strength 7/10 Date 09/08/2011 Bookmaker/Price Ladbrokes @ 2.00 Reasoning Accrington - Scunthorpe Accrington finished as the 2nd best home side in league two last season with 15-5-3 record and 53:24 goal diff. They stated the season with goaless draw against Northapmton away form home, but I expect them motivated for the first season win at home against Scunthorpe. Accrington are playing quite offensive at home scoring 26 goals in their last 11 home matches, making 9 overs. Scunthorpe were relegted from the Championship last season, but seems to be fully motivated to attack at least the play-offs. They started good the season with away draw 1:1 against Wycombe, but deserved the 3 points more than the hosts. Scunthorpe seems to be with one of the strongest squads in League one and I expect them motivated to perform well in the Cups too. Scunthorpe are not from best travelers with 2-3-7 in their last 12 visits, keeping only 1 clean sheet against Rotherham in Friendly. I see offensive minded football from both sdeis and I see at least 3 goals tonight

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 port Football (England - Cups) Event Ipswich - Northampton Selection over 2.75 goals Strength 7/10 Date 09/08/2011 Bookmaker/Price 188bet @ 2.01 Reasoning Ipswich made many changes this summer and the team is motivated to fight for something more this season. They started with excelent win away from home in first round against Bristol City 0:3. They took a lot of skillful players and I expect them hungry for the first home win this season. Ipswich was not from the best home sides last season with 5-2-5 in last 12 games here, making 9 overs and only 2 clean sheets. Northampton finished 17th in league 2. They are weak away team with 3-10-10 last season on the road. They are playing offensive football away from home with 6 overs in their last visits, scoring at least a goal in 11 of the last 12 in the same time. Ipswich will be agressive but with some rotation I cant see them with clean sheet against offensive minded Northampton. Both teams played last season for Carling Cup and Ipswich won at home with 3:1.

Selection Doncaster
Strength 10/10
Date 09/08/2011
Reasoning Doncaster will surely play to the finsih of this game as i see their opponent not as strong as they are and with the likes of attacking forwards the home team have i think this is a plus for them to claim the 3point here at home and they will surely do that as this will guarantee them for the next round of the carling cup.
Have you noted how many missing players they have?

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 Much like others, fancy Scunthorpe to win at Accrington at 7/5 with the squads expected to play. I know Hull are missing plenty, but Macclesfield are hardly a tough ask and they will want to win after their (unfair) criticism on Friday. Stevenage are a team I went against on Saturday, and I'm back more with Posh. Should be good enough even with a changed squad - they will score enough to get past them. Fancy Shrewsbury at a big price at Derby. Good squad, should go with confidence they can compete and Derby lost to League 2 opposition last two seasons. 5/1 very tempting.

Much like others, fancy Scunthorpe to win at Accrington at 7/5 with the squads expected to play. I know Hull are missing plenty, but Macclesfield are hardly a tough ask and they will want to win after their (unfair) criticism on Friday. Stevenage are a team I went against on Saturday, and I'm back more with Posh. Should be good enough even with a changed squad - they will score enough to get past them. Fancy Shrewsbury at a big price at Derby. Good squad, should go with confidence they can compete and Derby lost to League 2 opposition last two seasons. 5/1 very tempting.
We've got a decent side out tonight (for the squad we've got), our record is poor as you mentioned but on paper we should be beating League 2 opposition.

Event Exeter v Yeovil
Selection Exeter
Strength 10/10
Date 09/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 2.20
Reasoning the home team Exeter is te one i think should be able to claim a win as they are very strong team with the home advantage i think they should be able to shut up the away team yeovil who will want to draw i this game but with the way Exeter play their game i can say they have a win in this game.
As this is a local derby it may be a tight game - would be tempted to take bet on the total cards but nither of the two bookies I deal with are offering this type of bet

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 Bournemouth Vs. Dagenham & Redbridge - 1.72 (Bet365) Bournemouth have a strong record against Dagenham & Redbridge in the past and can see them using this match as a way to get the fans on side for the coming season after a disappointing start away to Charlton. Also worth noting that Dagenham & Redbridge have never won a League Cup tie. Derby County Vs. Shrewsbury - 1.70 (Bet365) I was impressed with Derby's win over Birmingham at the weekend, especially coming from behind against a freshly relegated side, and I just think the class difference will show here, there are currently 58 league positions between the sides and with the home advantage, this should be a relatively comfortable tie for County. Exeter Vs. Yeovil - 2.20 (Bet365) Perhaps a more risky choice but I feel it's justified. Yeovil were well beaten by a very decent Brentford side at the weekend, and from what I've seen and read, they looked rusty. Exeter, on the other hand, managed to get a point away at Stevenage and could arguably have gotten all three if it were not for a dubiously not given penalty decision. I like the price on the home win. Nottingham Forest Vs. Notts County - 1.61 (Bet365) Should be a feisty contest between the two local rivals, but must fancy Forst to overcome their neighbours. Notts County made a strong start to their season with a away win against Carlisle, although I'd argue that that was more down to Carlisle's performance than County's brilliance. Forest failed to win at home in a match they should have in reality, but despite this there was evidence of McClaren's team beginning to gel. The only problem I can foresee is perhaps the risk of Forest not having Lee Camp in goal due to his international duties, but I'd still feel relatively at ease with his likely replacement Paul Smith. Preston Vs. Crewe - 1.66 (Bet365) Another game where I feel the manager will try to get fans onside by fielding a strong line-up, Phil Brown will know not to let the fans get on his back following a poor display at the weekend. Crewe were well beaten at the weekend by Di Canio's Swindon Town and sit at the foot of the football league. League One's Preston went down 4-2 in the opening game of the season, but the freshly relegated side will surely put that down to being one bad performance. I expect a thoroughly professional performance by the better team and a home win. Good luck to all betting! :ok

Selection Doncaster
Strength 10/10
Date 09/08/2011
this isnt a league game there isnt 3 points up for grabs :spank

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 Leeds v Bradford Powers special are doing Leeds to win both halves @ 3/1... Think that is a decent price, can see Leeds winning this game handy enough, have home advantage against an inferior team, better than backing the straight win @ 1/2 anyways,# Leeds to win both halves @ 3/1 (Powers)