** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

BBOTD 1st August

15.15 Ripon Jonny Lesters Hair - 1pt win @ 5/2 >Bet365 Jonny Lesters Hair has had a odd season but won well last time out and can win today if he carrys that form over hes won over this distance so the stamina will be fine only concern is the penalty rise but it does not look the strongest of race to win and should go well

Re: BBOTD 1st August 0.5 e/w blazing beacon 15.50 naas 25/1 boyle sports blazeing beacon could run a big race at a tasty 25/1,well beaten last time out but was running well till 3 out and may go better on monday over a furlong less and carrying 6lb less,has won once in its career out of 10 runs beating 24 rivals on that occation,i think i could be throwing a quid away if not fit,but i also think the 25/1 on offer is to high to ignore if the horse can produce anywere near its best form.sportinglife make this a 10/1 shot so happy with 25,s

Re: BBOTD 1st August 5.15 Ripon - 1pt win King's Counsel @ 9/1 (Hills) - BOG Despite lacking in quality, this 1m4f handicap is competitive, but despite the number of runners, I feel King's Counsel might just get the race to suit him. David O'Meara's 5-y-o gelding loves to dominate his fields, and even though there are set to be 17 runners going to post, I think King's Counsel might just get a decent lead. The only other horse in the field that enjoys making the running is Grey Command, but he's also content to track the pace, and he has a wider draw than my selection - if the draw is now how I think it is at Ripon! (I should really know for sure...my local track!) But anyway, there doesn't appear to be a huge competition for the lead, so as long as King's Counsel doesn't end up in a speed duel up front, he looks set to run a big race. He has a career high mark to defy, but he's still only 5, so it's highly likely he'll manage to win off it at some point, and given his encouraging efforts this year, it could well be today. He's been heavily raced this year with 13 runs since January in both codes. However, he still seems fresh enough, and has run more good races than bad. The races he has performed below-par in have typically come with excuses. His first flat run of the season was over 10f, shorter than ideal, and was held up mid-division also. He won well at Catterick on his next start back up to 12f off a mark of 59, before running over 15f at Doncaster - another unsuitable trip which he hasn't proved he stays. He weakened that day. He did come back to 12f there on his next outing, however, but still failed to fire. Doncaster probably doesn't suit his running style, however, with it being a galloping track with a long straight. He then dominated a field over today's c&d by 3l off a mark of 62, beating one of today's (revitalised) rivals in Fossgate. He attempted to repeat the feat next time, but never managed to get to the lead, and the ground was probably softer than ideal. He faded into a well-held 5th of 8, with Fossgate reversing the form comprehensively to score. King's Counsel bounced back next time, though, when a 1/2l second at Musselburgh to Amazing King. That horse has gone very close twice since. The blinkers were applied that day for the first time, replacing the visor, so clearly he's just as capable in this headgear, even if all his career wins have come wearing a visor. His next effort at Catterick can be easily excused, over a two mile trip which didn't suit. He ran a sound race just two days later at Chester when beaten by an in-form Bradbury - who's poor run since has been met with the jockey claiming he "never travelled". The 2nd horse was Shernando, who won yesterday, from the aforementioned Amazing King. He had a hard race at Catterick so to run as well as he did in such short notice wasn't a bad effort at all. He's had a little break of 24 days to freshen him up for today, and has conditions in his favour. Daniel Tudhope is having an impressive season, and he gets on well with the horse. O'Meara's horses are running perfectly well enough, and this horse should run another consistent race. It's not a very good race, and if he does get a decent lead, which I suspect he will, he'll take some pegging back at a track which he likes - not surprising given its tendency to favour prominent racers.

Re: BBOTD 1st August Elna Bright - 7.40 Windsor (0.5ew 9-1 WH BOG) Have to agree with Southeasternram (see flat thread) that there's no way this should be 9-1. Shaped really well over 6f on reappearance a few weeks ago but ran into a wall of horses. Returns to a mile today, which is probably a more suitable trip nowadays. Fallon is booked, and he has winning form on the horse.

Re: BBOTD 1st August 2.45 Ripon Vintage Grape got to within a length and a quarter of Wicked Wilma lto and gets in here on a veru similar mark. That winner went in again on Saturday in a better race so is solid form. Should have a great chance here with the blinkers on again as they seemed to help last time. 1 Pt win 7/2 Bet365

Re: BBOTD 1st August 7:25 Carlisle - Knight Valliant - 1pt win @ 22/1 Boylesports Punting For Dummies! 1) don't back 8-race maidens in 17-runner handicaps 2) don't back horses without a run in the sphere for over 3 and a half years 3) don't back jockeys having their first ever ride on the flat etc etc... well.... :lol Rules schmules! I think KNight Valliant has a much better chance than the 22/1 odds with Boyles suggest tonight, and I am happy to go with the non-BOG option as I think the SP will be shorter - around the 12/1 mark. As mentioned Knight Valliant is a maiden on the flat - however the gelding's hurdles form has stepped up a couple of gears in 2011. He ended 2010 with a 23L defeat off 84, reappeared off the same mark and won very nicely over 19f. Carrying a 7lbs penalty for that he ran a close 2nd under 2L behind today's rival Samizdat. Knight Valliant gave Samizdat 21lbs that day over hurdles, he gives only 3lbs tonight on the flat. Knight Valliant next ran off a mark 15lb higher than his previous win, but that didn't stop him going in again, off 99, with subsequent winners in 2nd and 4th. The first of those wins was a Lady Amateur Riders race, and the second a hands and heels conditionals race - and the jockey on both occasions? Today's jockey Emma Butterworth! So they clearly get on well together. You have to be prepared to forgive a below par run lto, but he's had a 3 month break since then so should be freshened up, and his fto win this year was after a 15 week break so he can go well on the back of a break. All in all, at 22/1, he looks a value option to me.

Re: BBOTD 1st August 725 Carlisle: Bandanaman EW (8/1 WH) The only staying race of the day and its up at Carlisle which takes some getting, Bandanaman is a reliable sort who was fourth over C/D last time behind the fav Neptune Equester, he takes some pushing and not sure if the jockey will get the best out of that one tonight so he may be worth opposing. Swinbank the trainer of the selection is in much better form now thatn last month so I expect Bandananman to finish closer anyway, I reckon these will be strung out like monday mornings washing with a furlong to go and just hope Miss L.Alexander is not amongst them!, seriously though she's a decent rider and has plenty of rides lately for some good trainers.

Re: BBOTD 1st August 7.55 CARLISLE~TARTAN GIGHA 10/1 PP 1PT WIN Was winning Class 2 races just over a year ago off marks of 100 has been diabolic this year but is a shoe in if could recapture anything near that form. Is dropped to 7f for the first time in over two years and one of the better women jocks around is booked.

Re: BBOTD 1st August 0.5pts eway pepper lane 6/1 PP 345 ripon was around the 7/1 last nite and still may go off that or bigger in what is an open looking contest. his bare form leaves him the one to beat especially his win last time out, done in such a manner that a 7lb rise doesnt look prohibitive. de sousa up top a positive 2

Re: BBOTD 1st August Newton Abbot 5.00 Kilshanna win - 10/1 BlSq SJ Traveled well lto and shaped a lot better than anything he's done so far in his career. First time blinkers today and yard has a great record introducing headgear. Race full of ungenuine sorts, who always run well, but most of the time find a way not to win their races. Even the Tim Vaughan debutant, who is racing off career low mark, is a maiden and I'd never take 7/4 on a horse with such a profile. He could well improve for new yard and bolt up here, but at 7/4 he's a no bet. Kilshanna will carry feather weight and if things click with the headgear, he could be the one to beat here.

Re: BBOTD 1st August 5.15 Ripon - Downtown Boy (6/1 Boyles) 1pt Win Improved markedly on what he had shown previously with the step up to 12 furlongs when taking a weak 4 runner affair at Hamilton LTO, second that day has gone in since and looks to be one of the few horses in this field that could be in any way progressive.

Re: BBOTD 1st August 8.55 Carlisle: Tropical Duke 1pt win @ 12/1 Bet365 BOG Ron Barr had two runners go well in similar events at Thirsk on Saturday and think he has a couple of decent chances tonight in the shape of Sea Salt in the first and also this horse Tropical Duke in the lucky last. Very well handicapped on best known form having won from 7lbs higher in August last year - last couple of runs definite step in the right direction after some poor efforts so may be ready to run a big race. Only negative is lack of form at this trip, however decent price and good chance here.

Re: BBOTD 1st August R5.15 Downtown Boy 0.5pt E/W 13/2 Sportingbet The trainer is one who I always look out for, he has a great ROI at various tracks and his strike rate here is a very impressive 22.7% (17/75). I think he's found a good opportunity here to build on the horses improved form LTO when upped in trip. That worked a treat and although raised 5lb for that win, the horse is still 12lb lower than it was rated for its very first handicap race. Unexposed at the trip and progressive, I think it should be in the firing line at the end.

Re: BBOTD 1st August Ripon 4.15 - Lady Royale - win at 7/2 bog bet365 Has been gradually improving all season and won last time out If her progress continues she should handle a 6lb rise in the weights My main worry is that she seems best at beverley which is a much stiffer track than this but she's won at York which is a fast track. She appears to be a hold up and run on late type, so just gotta hope that no front runner has slipped the field ! Favourite is Eland Ally who has some decent form but keeps going up the weights without winning and is up another 3 lbs for finishing 2nd last time, making 14 lbs in all since his handicap debut and he hasn't won yet !

Re: BBOTD 1st August MAJESTIC MILLIE 2.45 Ripon. 0.5 points each way. Dropped a pound and although that doesn't entitle her to win this, it does give her every chance to get in the mix. However, Shane Kelly takes off another 5lb and when that gets into the mix of things, there's no reason why she cannot win. Should run her race and looks an each way bet to nothing. 5/1 SportingBet

Re: BBOTD 1st August

0.5 e/w blazing beacon 15.50 naas 25/1 boyle sports blazeing beacon could run a big race at a tasty 25/1,well beaten last time out but was running well till 3 out and may go better on monday over a furlong less and carrying 6lb less,has won once in its career out of 10 runs beating 24 rivals on that occation,i think i could be throwing a quid away if not fit,but i also think the 25/1 on offer is to high to ignore if the horse can produce anywere near its best form.sportinglife make this a 10/1 shot so happy with 25,s
superb!

Re: BBOTD 1st August 8.40 Windsor Miss Chamanda looks a big price in this race, she hasnt stood much racing for a 5yr old, has been to Windsor 5 times and has won 3 times including once over this trip, has won off a 5lb higher mark and does go well fresh of course 668days is an extremely long lay off but Evans knows how to ready these sort and although 3lb is taken off his back I dont rate the jockey but course form and ground to suit make her looks a big price at 11's 0.5pt e/w Miss Chamanda 11/1 pp

20:40 Windsor - Silver Wind 11/1 Stan James 0.5pts e/w Recent form isn't much to write about but did win at Doncaster over this trip, is back down to only a 1lb higher mark then when winning that and this race does appear to be slightly easier than what he has faced recently.

Re: BBOTD 1st August 8:55 Edas @ Carlisle - Was in good form towards the end of last year finishing 2nd and 3rd in class 5 handicaps.Drops down to a class 6 today and is off its lowest mark since August 2008.Trainer only has 2 horses but this can go close at a good price 0.5 pt E/W @ 16/1 VCBet