Harlequin.

Thinking caps on lads. Many years ago I used to bet with P.T.S. of Epsom. (A postal service). One of their special bets was called Harlequin. Yes it was as colouful as the charactor. Now the difficult bit. Can anyone remember the make up of the bet? It was very complicated. Actually a settlers nightmare. There were so many bets with, unless my memory has completely gone. over 200 " if cash" bets in the make-up. Just hope someone out there has a better memory than me. Cheers.

Re: Harlequin. Anyone remember the 'Union jack' ?...........bookies had pre-printed slips for it it was lots of trebles up, down and diagonal around one horse in the middle......if that one lost you were fooked...............:loon

Re: Harlequin.

Anyone remember the 'Union jack' ?...........bookies had pre-printed slips for it it was lots of trebles up, down and diagonal around one horse in the middle......if that one lost you were fooked...............:loon
yes thats the one, and I do remember Laddies having a bet called a Fivespot a 5 horse acca, which I had a few times, and the settlers used to hate doing returns on lucky 15's and 31's

Re: Harlequin. Think Bowles still does the Union Jack bet. Used to like the Aphabet at Corals 6 selections, Numbers 123 = Patent Numbers 456 = Patent Numbers 2345 = Yankee Plus an accumalator on the 6. 26 bets, handy if you just wanted an interest in going through the card.

yes thats the one' date=' and I do remember Laddies having a bet called a Fivespot a 5 horse acca, which I had a few times, and the settlers used to hate doing returns on lucky 15's and 31's[/quote'] Calculating lucky 15,31,63s is actually very straight forward. Just add 1 to the individual odds mulitply them by each other then subract 1 to get the returns to £1. Also multiply by the bonus % right at the end. I always carried a pocket calculator before mobiles became widespread.Occassionally a dodgy cashier would try to short change me when collecting multiple bets.

Calculating lucky 15,31,63s is actually very straight forward. Just add 1 to the individual odds mulitply them by each other then subract 1 to get the returns to £1. Also multiply by the bonus % right at the end.
Try explaining that to the miserable sod at my LBO years ago:cow

Re: Harlequin. Good to see that a number of you have pitched-in. How about a GYROSCOPE? 5 selections. 10 doubles if cash 10 trebles. However, I'm sure you've realised that to get an if cash treble up you need five out of five. This is from "long ago". However you could back "place only" with P.T.S. of Epsom.

Re: Harlequin. when i worked for Corals in the 80s we were asked to devise a new bet, a lad names Chris Green won , he works for the Tote these days, as he invented the 'Astro'. 88 bets, 8 horses, top 4 in a lucky 15, bottom 4 in a lucky 15, middle 6 in a heinz and all 8 in an acca.

when i worked for Corals in the 80s we were asked to devise a new bet, a lad names Chris Green won , he works for the Tote these days, as he invented the 'Astro'. 88 bets, 8 horses, top 4 in a lucky 15, bottom 4 in a lucky 15, middle 6 in a heinz and all 8 in an acca.
Geez.........he should have got shares in the company every time someone did one of those..............:p

• 6 years later...

Partial answer to the Harlequin question of 30/6/11.  24 bets, 4 selections. 4 place only RTCs (12 bets), 4 win singles ATC double stakes EW trebles the other 3 (4 bets), EW accumulator all 4 (2 bets). Memory failing now, but I think maybe 4 place only trebles (4 bets?) and then 1 particular double ATC the other pair for double stakes, and then another particular double ATC the other pair for double stakes place only. Something like that. I know for a fact it was not logical! When I worked for Ladbrokes at the time the manager's manual advised non-acceptance of the bet because of the amount of time required to settle it. Not to mention the potential queries. Hope this has been of some help, or interest. 

bit off topic,

but back in the early 80s, a few of used to bet the hackney card on a sat morning with 2 favs from the afternoon horse meetings in trebles

hackney was an 8 card meeting then, 48 x trebles

we would listen to the dogs in the morning hoping the fav didnt win , then hope the favs won in the afternoon, can remember having a 20/1 winner at the dogs,and then one of the horses losing