** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Lars Racing Thread

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Lars Racing Thread. Good luck fella, was thinking of doing this myself recently but need to sort out my personal finances first, as I'd only be doing it if I was backing everything I posted, maybe 2 or 3 bets a day and at present I don't have the finance or the discipline. Doubt many would be interested anyway. Best of luck, hope ya win consistently. EDIT: Some dough around for your 1st selection it seems, down to 16s most places now.

Re: Lars Racing Thread. Thanks everyone! Was pleased when I checked the price of Who's Shirl to see it was 16's with no non-runners...until I checked Hugh Taylor's column :( Always nice though when you write something and someone as good as him is backing him for pretty much the same reasons.

Re: Lars Racing Thread. Poor day to start with which is quite disappointing. Who's Shirl ran respectably but it's certain that the race was a bit hot for her. They'll be other opportunities in the future but will likely need a couple of lbs off her back. Holding her up may also bring some improvement as she struggled to be prominent today. Aussie Blue on the other hand, put in a terrible performance but I'm almost certain he was being saved for another day. He was away in alert fashion but was dropped out to the rear, with which I knew meant his chance was over. He needs to be up with the pace and connections must know that by now. He was scrubbed along a fair way out and although made some progress in the last 2f, he was then heavily eased. Connections will plausible point to the ground being too fast for him which probably isn't true as he's run well on very fast ground. He'll hack up when ridden prominently on decent ground, likely back at Pontefract. -5pts for the day.

Re: Lars Racing Thread. Good luck mate. Funnily enough I toyed with the idea of tipping who's Shirl because I couldn't believe her run last time out was herself. Plus the Fairhurst horses have started showing a bit more. Ended up deciding she was probably a little too high in the handicap seen as Harrison was claiming 3lbs when she won at Ponte last time. Anyway, hope it goes well for you :ok

Re: Lars Racing Thread. I enjoyed watching Southwell tonight, even if from a punting perspective it was terrible. Man Of My World showed good early speed and seemed to handle the surface well. The pace was frantic and he ran out of gas about 1.5f from home. Annoyingly the other Nicholls runner finished 2nd. A 5f nursery at Southwell would be a decent start for this one when he gets a mark allotted. Trojan Gift went off 9/4 and although the favourite travelled much better, my selection fought him off in the home straight. There was a decent pace throughout which suited and he can pick up another race here at some point. Shawkantango was frustrating as he fell out the gates and never got going, they’ll be other days. Bint Alakaaber perhaps didn’t run as well as she could have on fibresand and a switch to turf might be in order. 6f or further will be her optimum trip. Vanilla Rum and Ocarito were both well punted, the latter in from 20/1 to 10/1 but neither handled the surface and both put in very mediocre efforts. Vanilla Rum can run better on turf at some point while the latter is likely to be retired very shortly. He obviously shows something at home but doesn’t put it all in, and can imagine connections are disappointed. Selections to come at some point, a couple take the eye at this point.

Re: Lars Racing Thread. 15:30 Haydock INVINCIBLE FORCE has finally been given some slack by the handicapper and although he’s been quiet for a fair while now, he looked like he was about to return to form when last seen and the drop back to 6f should be of benefit. Paul Green’s 7yo was formerly a very decent handicapper and has won at trips from 5f to 1m on any sort of ground. He’s done most of his winning at either Chester or the Curragh but has shown up well in the past at Haydock, so I’m not convinced he only runs well at those sorts of courses. He has fallen to a mark of 77 now which in relation to his last win in 2009 off a mark of 88 (over a mile, last win at 6f came off 82) he looks nicely handicapped now. With these two wins, it made him difficult to place in 2010 as a mark in the mid-90’s is definitely out of reach but ran respectably on occasions, one such run at Chester over 7f when rated 93, finishing 2 lengths behind the winner. That run was also the last time Silvestre De Sousa rode the mount until today, so it’s interesting that connections go to him once again. He and Paul Green have a profitable record when teaming up and he was one of the trainers that used him before Mark Johnston etc called. Presumably he could have ridden other horses as rarely rides for Paul Green now, so it’s a positive booking I feel. His 2011 as previously mentioned had been poor, including over course and distance on his second run back from a break. He’s often taken a little bit of time to get going and he didn’t look fully fit on that occasion. This poor form was until when last seen over 7f at Chester. From a wide draw, he got across and made the running for a long while. When looking beat and put under pressure, he found more and kept in front for much longer than you’d have expected before fading just before the 1f pole. It was the best piece of form he’d shown for a while and he’s 5lbs lower here, which makes him an interesting proposition especially dropped in trip. He has bundles of speed and with only one likely front runner (Tyfos) in the line-up against him, he won’t get too pestered at the head of affairs. If so, he doesn’t have to dominate as he’s won races before where there’s been plenty of competition for the lead and has even won when prominent and not made all. Perhaps they’ll try something different with him, and it wouldn’t be unlike SDS to get the tactics just right. At 12/1 in a 9 runner race, he’s overpriced and although the stable are hardly in form as they haven’t had a winner in June, when SDS has rode their horses they’ve nearly always ran well so they don’t get him riding on any old donkey. Well handicapped, he should enjoy the drop back in trip to 6f and no real concerns with the ground/track and the positive booking of SDS, he’s up to going well. There is plenty of decent enough types in this race but very few as well in on past form as this one and I’m expecting a big performance. Medium EW stakes. INVINCIBLE FORCE; 1.5pts EW @ 12/1 Bet365 (bog)

Re: Lars Racing Thread. Absolutely pig sick of backing horses who get well backed and then are either been just touched off for the win or just out of the places :wall:wall:wall A dismal -8pts today.

Re: Lars Racing Thread. Double post there... So so frustrating with Bonnie Prince Blue a fast finishing 4th. Dead last with 2f out he flew home as he usually does but just couldn't get a place. Very very annoying. Pyjoma was useless. Only one winner on this thread and although I've had a fair few 2nd's, it hardly makes up for it :sad