** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Rupert's Racing Thread

Re: Rupert's Racing Thread 2.40 Kelso - 2pts win Scales @ 14/1 (Ladbrokes) Malcolm Jefferson's horses are in good order, or at least the few that are running at the moment (1-1 in February, but also good record in Jan), and I think this one is very interesting on his handicap debut in a weak 0-110 hurdle here. There have been definite signs of ability over hurdles since winning a bumper narrowly last March - noticeably on his hurdling debut at Uttoxeter after a break when beaten 15l. He's clearly nothing special, but should be capable of picking up some prize money at a lowly level. His 3rd at Sedgefield was very respectable after that, behind a horse who has won three out of four starts under rules to be rated 128 over hurdles now, and the winning margin was 9 lengths. Scales was beaten 40 lengths last time which obviously isn't ideal, but has had a break since, and the form worked out strongly. 130, 117, 121, and 118 are the current ratings of the front four now, with several horses franking the form, so perhaps it wasn't too bad a run after all. He goes handicapping off 95 today which looks fair, and won't be meeting anything quite as serious as he has done so far over hurdles. The yard have a reasonable strike rate at the course, and is bred to stay over hurdles, so hopefully he can see out his race stronger in this company today.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Rupert's Racing Thread

Travelled strongly. Wants less of a test it seems. If Edgeworth fails' date=' stick a fork in it.[/quote'] I very much hope it goes in for u m8 - nearly put Edgeworth up as my BBOTD and got some good prices last night. Your run of form is reminding me of my own at the start of January - I was getting palce after place but few winners and hardly any unplaced. Come the end of the month, I would have been better off backing win only but my mind is fragile and I have adopted EW betting on an insurance only basis... I am sure I will be back to win only once the turf flat has started but for now - and while I was hitting the bar so often - it suited. The win part of my bet is always the same. The amount I stake EW will only cover the win stake in case it is placed. EG - if I back a 20/1 shot at 1/5 of the odds I will have 1/0.25 - if the selection places, I get my stake back but haven't risked a whole lot more on the place part of the bet. An 8/1, 1/4 odds would be 1/0.5. 5/1 fifth odds would be 1/1 etc etc. I can't go back over the whole thread due to time but your last 20 results would have returned a handome profit using this staking and your confidence woudl still be intact. Perhaps alot less stressful too? Has worked for me anyway. You also mention that alot of your horses have travelled well throughout the race before finishing 2nd or whatever. Might be worth seeing how low your horses trade in running to see if there is an angle there for saving your stake? Got so much help and ideas in the 'Losing Runs' thread and some of it has been a massive help! Hope this makes sense - am writing it off the bat while I have 5 minutes... Think I mentioned it before but your performance in BBOTD would say to me that a level stakes approach would serve you better - then you really get rewarded when you do hit a big price. Hope none of this is patrionising or old ground. Keep at it - your results could/should? be returning a better dividend. Good Luck with Edgeworth. Just worried about Trainers woeful record on the flat and the lack of cheek pieces are my small concerns but hopeful none the less.

Re: Rupert's Racing Thread Edgeworth 2nd :rollin Not at all pal. No anger anymore, just disappointment. I think it might be time to strip the whole thing back and go back to basics. I must be doing something right based on the BBOTD competition etc so it may be best to cut out the pressure and take the spotlight off for a little while. I'm probably guilty of trying too much too soon, and whilst I do feel I've not been blessed with a great deal of luck, I think focusing on BBOTD and the daily threads is probably the way forward for the time being. Obviously I'm gutted it hasn't worked out well so far, but I've learned a lot from this and hope I haven't let anyone down by not making the most of the opportunity I truly appreciate. I will keep a record of my results in the daily threads and hopefully get my house back in order whilst letting the top lads on here take the spotlight. Thanks everyone for all your comments, be it congratulations or constructive criticism, and I've taken everything on board.

Re: Rupert's Racing Thread Harsh. You'd be struggling to call Edgeworth unlucky but with a better draw and a less bumpy ride he would have been closer! Picking out so many placed horses (the above was 11/1 last night) deserves more. I am sure you would have been in profit buying your selections on the spread race indexies for example. Not played them for years though. Think it was Fitron that said in a previous thread that the staking is probably as important as the selections themselves and he's right. You obviously know your stuff and it's good that you recognise that we are all constantly learning. I just looked at my Feb bets and the're rubbish!! All around 3/1 and 5/1 bar a couple and that's not how I bet! It's the time of year I hope - if I continue to hold on to my cash so tightly it'll be gone! Good Luck in the future - you just know your next selection will be a winner! :(