** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

Copa America 2011 - Outright Bets

I thought we could all add some opinions on the teams we think have a chance of winning the Copa America 2011. Colombia are my value pick at 34/1 (General), and here's a little reason why.

The biggest football competition in South America is set to take place at the start of July with twelve of the strongest teams taking part. Argentina has the honour of hosting this year’s competition with eight stunning cities taking turns in staging the 2011 Copa America. The likes of Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay will highly rate their chances of winning this trophy and who are we to argue? Well, Colombia for one. Under the leadership of Hernan Dario Gomez they have thrived in the brilliantly balanced 4-1-2-3 formation he has recently deployed. Spearheaded by Porto’s Falcao, arguably the deadliest striker around this season with 39 goals in 41 appearances, and aided by the midfield muscle of fellow club teammate Freddy Guarin and Hercules’ Abel Aguilar they have the potential to spring a surprise or two in Argentina. Falcao will be flanked on one side by Gio Moreno of Once Caldas and James Rodriguez on the other, another Colombian hailing from Porto, so support will not be forthcoming for the ever improving hit man. Colombia kick off their 2011 Copa America campaign on the 2nd day of the competition in Jujuy against Costa Rica, who have been invited to take part due to Japan’s unfortunate withdrawal. They will also square up with the hosts Argentina as well as Bolivia in the group stages and will firmly believe that they can progress out of Group A comfortably. A recent friendly against the current World Champions in Spain suggests so, carving out numerous chances and only losing out to a late goal from David Silva in the 85th minute. The absence of Falcao in Spain will see their potential chances enhanced when he returns to the side when the real business starts in just over a month. The tournaments finale concludes at the Estadio Monumental Antonio Vespucio Liberti, home of the prestigious River Plate, a destination Colombia should have realistic dreams about reaching. Can they back it up on the pitch? Time will tell. Copa America Record 1 – Winners (2001), 1 – Runners-Up (1975), 3 – Third Place (1995, 1993, 1987), 2 – Fourth Place (2004, 1991).

Re: Copa America 2011 Didn't realise it was the Copa this year :lol Good write-up, Sounding, and may have a tenner on 'em for fun. On the face of it, they seem as good a shout as Uruguay and Chile, who are 13.00 and 15.00 respectively. Be interesting to see what squads the two big guns put out, but with the likes of David Luiz, Ramires and Neymar being regarded as ''B'' squad players, it probably doesn't make a massive difference. Edit: Sorry, it wasn't a write-up, was it? Good copy and paste job, Sounding ;)

Re: Copa America 2011 IMO everything is set for Argentina to be champions one more time. They lost in the final against Brazil last years and right now I don't know how they could lost it. Brazil won't show their best squad, Uruguay and Chile are good candidates but none of them with a good record against argies. México is no candidate considering their priority is Gold Cup (:spank) and I don't see any other with chances. Argentina @ 2,25 in a few bookies good value to me.

Re: Copa America 2011

Didn't realise it was the Copa this year :lol Good write-up, Sounding, and may have a tenner on 'em for fun. On the face of it, they seem as good a shout as Uruguay and Chile, who are 13.00 and 15.00 respectively. Be interesting to see what squads the two big guns put out, but with the likes of David Luiz, Ramires and Neymar being regarded as ''B'' squad players, it probably doesn't make a massive difference. Edit: Sorry, it wasn't a write-up, was it? Good copy and paste job, Sounding ;)
I wrote it for my blog but obviously links aren't allowed here. :ok Yeah, Brazil and Argentina are going to be favourites but the prices are ridiculous. Colombia have a squad with players from Napoli, Udinese and Porto who have all had successful seasons and like I said against Spain they weren't out classed in any way. Backing them on Betfair and trading off could be a better way of taking advantage.

Re: Copa America 2011 I look forward to seeing how 'balanced' Columbia's 4-1-2-3 formation is because it doesn't sound possible. Do they revert to a more conventional 4-3-3 at times? I don't know loads about them but at 34.00 they do seem like a decent back-lay option for sure. I'm looking forward to this as there should be some great football played. EDIT - They are actually 51.00 at Bet365

Re: Copa America 2011 I would assume so. The majority are attack minded players even the full backs but I would think that they would drop back into a 4-5-1 come 4-3-3 formation when they are defending. 50/1 has to be taken IMO, although if everything goes the way it should they'll face Argentina in the quarters I think it is.

50/1 has to be taken IMO, although if everything goes the way it should they'll face Argentina in the quarters I think it is.
Ah, see, there in lies the problem. Argentina are doing well under their new coach, and with the home advantage... Now, if that muppet Maradona was still ''managing'' the side, I'd be fine.

Re: Copa America 2011 I have looked at the schedule and if everything goes to the following plan Colombia will meet Argentina in the Semi's: - Argentina win Group A and Colombia come second in Group A; - Argentina play the best 3rd placed team and Colombia play Second from Group C (Mexico/Uruguay?) - Colombia beat Argentina in the Semi-finals and we all get paid from the lay... If Columbia somehow qualify as the second best 3rd placed finisher then they probably play Brazil in the Quarters. So there is still room for manoeuvre to lay them from 50/1. Any guesses at what they'd come in to if they did indeed face Argentina in the semi's?

IMO everything is set for Argentina to be champions one more time. They lost in the final against Brazil last years and right now I don't know how they could lost it. Brazil won't show their best squad, Uruguay and Chile are good candidates but none of them with a good record against argies. México is no candidate considering their priority is Gold Cup (:spank) and I don't see any other with chances. Argentina @ 2,25 in a few bookies good value to me.
You got any insight into Chile mate?? With Mexico expected to put out a second string team, I am looking at Chile in the opening game - 11/10 to win. Also 7/2 -1 EH. Any views? Cheers

You got any insight into Chile mate?? With Mexico expected to put out a second string team, I am looking at Chile in the opening game - 11/10 to win. Also 7/2 -1 EH. Any views? Cheers
hehe well, I'm only going to say that Chile will play basically at home (in terms of crowd) because Mendoza and San Juan are very close to Chile, 30 minutes from Santiago. I expect Chile to advance, maybe with Perú... after that really don't know.

Colombia have a squad with players from Napoli' date=' Udinese and Porto who have all had successful seasons and like I said against Spain they weren't out classed in any way. Backing them on Betfair and trading off could be a better way of taking advantage.[/quote'] Perhaps a shade off-topic but Spain never outclass hispanic countries because they play similar brands of football. Spain keep the ball better than most countries, hence their success, but they rarely outplay hispanic nations - the same can be said for their game against Chile in the World Cup, for example, or even their friendly 4-1 drubbing in South America against Argentina. I like Colombia but they don't have the firepower to win this tournament, in my view. Their defence is rarely a problem in the South American World Cup Qualifiers but scoring goals isn't something that happens regularly for them. Falcao is a terrific threat but he's not got Varela, Hulk, or Cristian Rodriguez with him here so we'll see how he does. The problem I have with all of Colombia's other strikers is that they're good when they show up, which isn't regular. That goes for Rodallega, Montano, and Moreno especially. Carbonero has looked good this year for Once Caldas Manizales but Colombia don't have what it takes to win this tournament with such a tempremental attack, in my view. Anyway, good luck mate :)

Re: Copa America 2011 Like the look of Colombia as well. Snatched them @51.00 though they've dropped to 36.00 at best. Solid squad with a mix of players from Udinese, Porto and Napoli. I always like backing a team who are familiar with each other, it's a huge advantage in such a short tournament. They have arguably the hottest goal scorer in Europe in Falcao. They have a fairly easy group, Argentina aside they should be able to beat both Costa Rica and Bolivia. That will get them a QF match with the winner of (Uruguay, Mexico, Chile and Peru) all beatable squads. Tbh I see it as a stretch to win the tourny but if they can make it to the semis hedge them against Brazil or Argentina.

Re: Copa America 2011 51.0 is great odds, but I just can't see Columbia winning this in any way. I would say that both Chile and Uruguay are all a step above Columbia at the moment, and then of course we have Brasil and Argentina, the obvious favorites. I'm not going to bet on whose going to win it, but if I were to bet for someone outside Brasil and Argentina, I would go with Uruguay.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Copa America 2011 - Outright Bets I decided to place some bets in advance for this, to not risk the odds going down. Chile vs Mexico = Chile win @ 1.72 bet365 Mexico are playing with a second string team, I believe under 23. The same team that Venezuela embarrassed 3-0 in Las Vegas just this last weekend. Expect Mexico to lose all their matches in this Copa America. Chile have a young talented squad with lots of players playing in Europe. Chile will be looking to seriously compete in this Copa America and I'm sure that they can. Players like Alexis, Vidal, Jimenez etc are top notch. I expect Chile to cruise this match which will be played almost as a home match for Chile doe to how close Chile is to this Argentine city. Uruguay vs Peru = Peru +2 @ 1.35 bet365 Last time Peru lost a game to more than 1 goal was in 2009! Since then Peru has only lost twice. Peru drew their last 3 matches 0-0, so expect a low scoring game here. That doesn't mean Peru doesn't have a good attack though, Pizarro, Farfan and Guererro are three players Uruguay will need to watch out for. Uruguay on the other hand have failed to impress as of late, losing 3 of their last 5 friendlies. I think Uruguay are definitely the better team of the two and definitely have what it takes to get far in this tournament, but I can see them struggling against a defensive Peruvian team. Uruguay should just edge it here, but expect a difficult match for them. They'll be more than happy to win this one by 1-0 for example. Argentina vs Bolivia = Argentina -1.5 @ 1.38 bet365 Bolivia is by far the worse team in South America. They haven't won an away game since 2007. Mexico, Paraguay and Panama all recently won them by more than 1.5 goals. Argentina will be infront of their crowed and will be looking to impress. Anything but a "goleada" will be unacceptable for them. Expect lots of goals here. This bet is a gift really. Colombia vs Costa Rica = Colombia @ 1.44 bet365 Columbia are clear favorites to win this match. Though I have not been impressed by them as of late. They have some quality players and really should be winning a Costa Rica under 23 team. Much like Mexico I expect Costa Rica to be a walk in the park for all of their rivals.

Re: Copa America 2011 - Outright Bets Argentina vs Bolivia = Argentina -1.5 @ 1.38 bet365 Bolivia is by far the worse team in South America. They haven't won an away game since 2007. Mexico, Paraguay and Panama all recently won them by more than 1.5 goals. Argentina will be infront of their crowed and will be looking to impress. Anything but a "goleada" will be unacceptable for them. Expect lots of goals here. This bet is a gift really. Sorry to late Chuck, but Argentina -1 EH is 1.44 with SJ. I managed to get some of the 1.5 last week :cigar

Re: Copa America 2011 - Outright Bets

Argentina vs Bolivia = Argentina -1.5 @ 1.38 bet365 Bolivia is by far the worse team in South America. They haven't won an away game since 2007. Mexico, Paraguay and Panama all recently won them by more than 1.5 goals. Argentina will be infront of their crowed and will be looking to impress. Anything but a "goleada" will be unacceptable for them. Expect lots of goals here. This bet is a gift really. Sorry to late Chuck, but Argentina -1 EH is 1.44 with SJ. I managed to get some of the 1.5 last week :cigar
Nice dude. I've only got accounts in about 3 sites and Stan J. isn't one of them unfortunately.

Re: Copa America 2011 - Outright Bets I decided to place more bets on the first games of the Copa last night and I''m glad I did as values have dropped. Chile just dropped from 1.72 to 1.66 on bet365 and I expect them to continue this next week. Argentina is at 1.11 now on bet365, but you can get them at 1.13 with a -0.5 handicap. Much better value. Colombia has also dropped in price. Going from 1.45 to 1.4. Also expect them to drop in value. We are one week from the Copa America kicking off and everyone is starting to get really excited here in South America. I think its safe to say that most are expecting a very good Copa America. National sides have really improved, and there are lots of sides who will be hoping to do a good cup. Argentina vs Bolivia = Argentina only team to score @ 1.57 I thought there was a lot of value in this bet. Bolivia looked hopeless in attack vs Paraguay in their last two friendlies. Panama also just beat them 2-0. I just can't see them getting a goal past a solid Argentine defense. Meanwhile Argentina should easily score a couple of goals against the worst team in South America in front of their crowd. Chile vs Mexico = Chile only team to score @ 2.72 bet365 I saw Mexico under 23 team hopelessly lose 3-0 to Venezuela in Las Vegas and really I think this game should be a walk in the park for an impressive Chile team with lots of great players. I can't see Mexico scoring either, at this price I took this bet in a heartbeat. Colombia vs Costa Rica = Colombia only team to score @ 2.1 bet365 Costa Rica also with a under 23 team will really struggle in this cup. Colombia aren't all that great, but I would expect them to win a full strength Costa Rica side. They should cruise this match. I don't think Costa Rica has much to offer going forward either, so I definitely think a Colombia clean sheet is a good call. I bet on each of these individually and also combined them at 8.97 in one bet. :hope

chuck i kinda disagree on your mexico bet' date=' mexico got a lot of firing power.[/quote'] Are you talking about the Mexico team that is playing the Concacaf or the one that's going to play the Copa America? Like I said above, Ash, this is Mexico under 23. A very diferent Animal to the one we are costumed to.

Re: Copa America 2011 - Outright Bets Yes, that's correct. I believe both Mexico and Costa Rica are allowed to take 5 over 23 players with them to the cups. However, the Mexican and Costa Rica' players which play in European teams aren't letting their players participate Basically since both teams were invited to this cup, this was not in their offical calender's, meaning if a club doesn't want to let a player participate they are under no obligation. Don't expect any of the teams top players to take place in this cup. At the most MLS players. Both these teams will be playing with alternative squads. Basically the same U23 Mexican side which lost 3-0 to Venezuela in Las Vegas is going to be playing this Cup. Mexico plays Colombia today in a friendly match in preparation for the Copa America by the way.

Re: Copa America 2011 - Outright Bets okay chuck thanks for the explanation tho i wish the rules were anyone can play from the the international team tht be particapting cause right now it sound like the olympic football games with the age limit, argentina squad look the strongest,

Re: Copa America 2011 - Outright Bets Just finished watching Colombia vs Mexico. It really was an awfull match. On one side we have Mexico, who were awful as expected. They created nothing all match, and were time wasting in the end of a friendly match! Who does that? No quality at all. Defensively they weren't good either, the reason why it ended 0-0 is because of how bad Colombia was. That brings me to Colombia's performance. They were awful, never really looked like scoring. Lacked creativity and quality, were completely disjointed and other than Falcao lacked commitment. I'm a bit worried at the moment. Playing this way I'm worried about them beating Costa Rica. If not by a moment of brilliance or a corner or free-kick, I have no idea how this team is going to score goals. In the first page of the thread it seems many here placed a bet on them winning the Copa America. Sorry fellas, but I think your throwing money away. This Colombian team has 0 chemistry and I don't think that will be solved in 1 week. As for Mexico, Chile should have a field day against them. I don't expect Mexico to score too many if any goals this Copa, but do expect them to be on the receiving side of many. Just my two cents.

I'm a bit worried at the moment. Playing this way I'm worried about them beating Costa Rica. If not by a moment of brilliance or a corner or free-kick, I have no idea how this team is going to score goals.
Took Chile, mainly because of following yourself, and wanted to double it up with Colombia, but this is what bothered me about them. You can be playing a really limited side, but you still have to create, as obviously illustrated by the draw with the Mexicans. Still, it was just a friendly, and one of the things I learnt from last years World Cup was teams can be transformed when the tournament begins, which'll hopefully be the case with the Colombians.

Sorry. Mainly based on Cavani and Suarez. Can see them scoring a few and Lodeiro looks a player as well. Brazil look in transition and Messi is not the same player for his country.
did you saw the last Argentina game , Messi was beast, almost all offensive game went through Messi.. :clap

Re: Copa America 2011 - Outright Bets Don't judge teams by the friendlies they play before the/a tournament. They are usually lacking motivation which will be there once they have something to play for. They are usually arranged for fitness, bonding etc. I have been on holiday so I missed the Colombia game but I am hoping to watch it online somewhere.