Lakeside World Darts Championship (Jan 1st - Jan 9th)

.....or the other world darts championship as some will refer to it. Alastair Campbell and Jim Davidson will be playing a leg of darts against Bobby George on Tuesday and Thursday respectively! The student teams of Cambridge and Oxford are having a go against each other on Friday! For the first time, they'll have LIVE SCORING on the official BDO website over here on the web and the BBC are going interactive which means if you've got cable or satellite, you're gonna have to press the red button to watch some of these matches (better than nothing? I dunno, I suppose). ===== FIRST ROUND MATCHES (Best of five sets) (Prices from Stan James) Saturday 1st January: 13:15 Tony Eccles 13/8 versus Tony David 4/9 14:05 Shaun Greatbatch 2/5 versus Mike Veitch 7/4 15:30 Vincent Van Der Voort 9/4 versus Andy Fordham 2/7 18:35 Raymond Barneveld 1/3 versus Gary Anderson 2/1 19:25 Dave Routledge 13/8 versus John Walton 4/9 20:50 Darryl Fitton 1/4 versus Gary Robson 5/2 Sunday 2nd January: 13:45 Martin Adams 1/3 versus Dave Richardson 2/1 14:35 Tony West 2/5 versus Rick Hofstra 7/4 15:25 Jarkko Komula 5/6 versus Robert Wagner 5/6 18:35 Ted Hankey 1/6 versus John Kuczynski 7/2 19:25 John Henderson 5/4 versus Stephen Bunting 4/7 20:45 Martin Atkins 8/13 versus Robert Thornton 6/5 Monday 3rd January: 13:45 Tony O'Shea 2/11 versus Marko Kantele 10/3 14:35 Mervyn King 1/8 versus Wayne Warren 9/2 15:25 Simon Whitlock 2/5 versus Tony Martin 7/4 19:00 Co Stompe 2/7 versus Andre Brantjes 9/4 ===== OUTRIGHT ODDS (Prices from Stan James) Raymond Barneveld 5/2 Mervyn King 7/2 Ted Hankey 9/1 Martin Adams 12/1 Andy Fordham 16/1 Tony West 16/1 Tony O'Shea 16/1 Simon Whitlock 20/1 Tony David 25/1 Darryl Fitton 33/1 Gary Anderson 33/1 John Walton 40/1 Jarkko Komula 40/1 Co Stompe 50/1 Stephen Bunting 50/1 Tony Eccles 66/1 Robert Wagner 66/1 Rick Hofstra 66/1 Dave Richardson 80/1 Martin Atkins 80/1 Marko Kantele 100/1 Gary Robson 100/1 Shaun Greatbatch 125/1 Vincent Van Der Voort 125/1 Mike Veitch 150/1 Dave Routledge 150/1 John Kuczynski 200/1 Andre Brantjes 200/1 Robert Thornton 250/1 Wayne Warren 300/1 John Henderson 300/1 Tony Martin 300/1

Re: Lakeside World Darts Championship (Jan 1st - Jan 9th) I'll freely admit that I know little about the BDO side of darts (not that I know that much about the PDC to be honest) and it's a pain in the arse to research (how did Colin Monk or Bob Taylor fail to qualify, for example? Colin's in it for the money as you might have seen him at various PDC events so I guess it was because he didn't get enough ranking points. I assume Taylor on the other hand, just had a bad year). Last year, I did my dough as Bob Taylor lost in the 1st round and ruined what was quite a good £100 around 7/2 first-round five-fold over at Sporting Odds. I have no idea about the form of most if not all of these players competing this time around either and looking at the official BDO website is giving ne a headache tring to navigate 'round it. 1st match up in less than10 minutes.... As far as I can work out Tony Eccles is no mug and has a solid 3-dart average around 86+. He appeared to be unlucky last year against John Walton in the 1st round. Tony David can turn it on and off. The odds over at Betfair reflect that and are even skinnier than bookies' odds with Eccles at just over evens and David at around 1/2. Any opinions welcome.

Re: Lakeside World Darts Championship (Jan 1st - Jan 9th) Wowee! A cracker to kick things off and it's Tony ECCLES who gets through 3-2. Eccles was getting outplayed as his scoring wasn't consistent but he was just lucky to be able to get ahead of David at certain times and capitalise. If this was a marathon, you'd say he just simply outkicked him. Another darts tournament that's going to give migraines to bookies who are willing to mess around with betting in-running? You betcha ass! :clap :loon :ok

Re: Lakeside World Darts Championship (Jan 1st - Jan 9th) It's kinda difficult particularly if one doesn't have Sky Multiroom for example, to um, keep track of all the relevant things you've bet on. I watched the Eccles versus David match up and then switched over to Liverpool-Chelsea and now, I'm following the darts on the net (the TV's now been commandeered by my parents and siblings which is far enough considering the horrors I put them through but hey, I've got the internet so I should use it). I followed the Greatbatch-Veitch match (it did look as though it was horrible to watch). Amazing. It could very well be the 'best of five' format but all three favourites in the first three matches have got turned over (including Andy Fordham!).

Re: Lakeside World Darts Championship (Jan 1st - Jan 9th) Looking at today's matches I am very tempted by the 1.5 available on Tony West to beat Hofstra. From what I have seen of West he is a quality player who doesn't seem to be affected by the big stage. The other match I'm considering a bet on is Adams v Richardson. I know Adams is something of a bottler at the Lakeside but if he can control his nerves he is a classy player. Wouldn't fancy him to go very far in the tourney and wouldn't back him against one of the top players but fancy him at 1.36 to overcome his first round opponent. Am I mad?:loon All opinions welcomed.

Re: Lakeside World Darts Championship (Jan 1st - Jan 9th) Thanks for filling in the gaps, Gaz (It's flippin' hard to follow the BDO and what's been happening when one doesn't have the info. I know I don't.). Wow! Some close matches there with both Tony West and Martin Adams having to pull rabbits out of hats to avoid some narrow escapes. Stephen Bunting and Martin Atkins though get despatched surprisingly easily (both losing 3-0). Unlucky if you bet on Jarkko. Robert when he's in the mood can do more than just flips on stage. Put him up against one of the top names though and he'll be intimidated and his darts will suffer. Four matches left and it's hard trying to avoid the potential landmines. Tony O'Shea when he gets rocking, he'll get those 140s with ease. He's told his local paper, he's up for it but the dangers are that he's looking too far ahead (he's already looking forward at another crack at Mervyn King of which if they meet again, King'll probably beat him again). Some joker's willing to lay over £1000 at odds of 1.24 over at Betfair that Tony O'Shea will lose so that scares me a little. Marko Kantele beat last year's Scandinavian qualifier Brian Sørensen in order to get here, by winning the Nordic Cup but I'm struggling to find how he's done in previous tournaments or up against the established BDO names. Hell, come on, I'm tackling the Finn. O'Shea usually starts off fantastically in the early rounds but suffers a dip in form when it comes to the later rounds. I've shoved everything I've got over at Sporting Odds and Stan James (£31.13 and £60 at 2/9) as well as putting £25 against Mr. Big Shot's 1.24 over at Betfair (this 15% weekly reduction rate is killing me) that Tony O'Shea will survive and go into the next round a winner. ========= Mervyn King shouldn't have trouble this afternoon against Wayne Warren but I simply don't know the other guy or what he's capable of. Simon Whitlock is perhaps a strange case and one of the few if any who's made the switch from the PDC to the BDO. I don't know how the 'Chicken and Chips' man has done in the various BDO events (he qualified here by winning the Pacific Masters). Tony Martin who unwittingly sharing the same name of the infamous folk hero/villain, has been making minor dents in the various BDO events that are out there. However, it's only minor but he is a seemingly useful sort. ....it could be an ugly match, that one and I wouldn't like to call it. Betting on Co Stompe can be infuriating. Andre Brantjes shouldn't give him much trouble though but it depends if Co is in form.

Re: Lakeside World Darts Championship (Jan 1st - Jan 9th) 3pts each way Simon Whitlock 41.00 @ Stan James This strange looking australian, is by no means your typical darts player, but was good enough to take out Peter Manley a couple of years ago in the PDC World Matchplay. Obviously sees more opportunity for easy prize money in the BDO, and I personally think he can win this. He looks a very big price at 41.00.

Re: Lakeside World Darts Championship (Jan 1st - Jan 9th) Paul, hope you don't mind quoting figures but as I don't know owt about Darts and generally look for what others are doing, I wanted to ask your advice. I've had 200 at 5/2 on Barneveld And £10 e/w at 40's on Whitlock after your post yesterday. Would you advise me to back anyone else at this stage, or sit tight? Thanks in advance CB

Re: Lakeside World Darts Championship (Jan 1st - Jan 9th) I have to say that Whitlock looks good value @ 8/11 tonight against Brandtjes, I'm quite amazed that Brandtjes has got through as it's been a case of his oppononts not playing as they can compered to him blowing them away. I'm going for a large single on Whitlock to carry on to the semi's, and anyway I want him to win cos he looks funny :lol

Re: Lakeside World Darts Championship (Jan 1st - Jan 9th) Sorry CB, missed your post. :( Errrm, well Gaz is your man for the darts really. My bet on Whitlock was based on what I had seen of him previously on the PDC, and knowing how inferior the BDO is, he looked massive at 40/1 to me. Barney is the obvious favourite, but has never been the same player since Taylor took him apart in their big showdown. Gaz has Fitton in the other semi outright, hopefully we both get our big e/w shots into the final. :)

Re: Lakeside World Darts Championship (Jan 1st - Jan 9th) Hi all I backed barney at the start of the tournament, but I also had a tenner on last night for the highest checkout to be 144 or over with blue square. I know I had a few scrumpies but I was sure barney finished one of the games in the second set with 156 but blue square have marked my bet as a loser. Can anyone confirm this as i have been trying to find the scores before i call them to correct it. Many thanks