BBOTD 6th May

Re: BBOTD 6th May 6:45 Ripon - Dickie Le Davoir I simply cannot overlook this one. Going for his 5th straight win; first two were on AW, then switched to turf. Same jock as lto. He's 8lb heavier this time, but still running at the same class. 14 runners should line up here and Dickie has recently won in a field of 15. He hasn't even got a mention in the RP card comments - lets hope he doesn't get tipped in the papers either! Win @ sp

Re: BBOTD 6th May 2:55 Chester - St Nicholas Abbey - Back Right, so I'm going to be brave (some would say stupid!). I understand that I'm opening myself up to look stupid backing this lad, but if you'd have told me this time last year that I'd have got 11/8 on St Nicholas Abbey beating Harris Tweed and Allied Powers, I'd have laughed in your face. Fair enough he only managed 6th in the Guineas but it wasn't a drastic effort if you take all the betting and expectation out of it. He disappointed lto on his re-appearance but he was way too short given that he'd been off for a year. It is well known that some O'Brien sorts desperately need their first run of the season and I think he's one of them. I think he'll have improved a bundle for that run and I think he may well get back to winning ways here. If he's anywhere near the horse he was, he'll absolutely hose up here 1pt win @ 11/8 Paddy Power BOG

Re: BBOTD 6th May 4.15 Punchestown The Hard Hat 12/1 1pt win (but hopefully looking for a drift tomorrow) Fancy the chances of Colm Murphy's 7 year old in the huge 25 horse field tomorrow at Punchestown over 3m 6f. Was alerted to this horse back in February when I was told he had improved a lot from 6-7, and good things were expected. That day he ran here in Punchestown on heavy ground over 3m, travelled nicely for most of the race but faded towards the end and finished a fairly distant fifth. He didn't seem to stay the 3 miles, but I think that was in large part down to the ground. His next outing he was dropped back to 2m 4f and got up to win in a photo finish to beat Knockalyde Euro after a great late surge under the hand of Robbie Power. The Hard Hats jumping let him down 2 starts back, and I think this run can be discounted. On his final outing, Colm Murphy stepped him up to 3m 1f where he ran a great race to win by 1 1/2L to Warhead, who reopposes on 3lb better terms. It looked as if The Hard Hat would win with a fair bit in hand, but idled when he hit the front. “He wants every yard of 3 miles and he will go to Punchestown next for a staying handicap. He was a bit unlucky on his last start as he didn’t jump well."Anything bar quick ground is suitable for him. Robbie gave him a brilliant ride and he seems to be improving. He should be better over even further." which has allayed the fears I have about him staying the trip. I think he will get ideal ground tomorrow as it has been raining over here, with more rain forecast overnight. Regular jockey Robbie Power rides Jessica Harrington's Pontiac tomorrow, but I think that he didn't have a choice as his links with the stable, as opposed to choosing this horse over my selection. The capable Davy Condon takes over in the saddle, so I don't see much of a negative in this. I personally still think The Hard Hat is well handicapped, with the rain a big plus tomorrow. The horse has won 2 of its last 3 starts, and seems to be improving with every run. Murphy believes that the step up in trip will be to the horses benefit. Although this is quite a competitive race, I think there is a lot in favour for The Hard Hat tomorrow and am hopeful of a strong showing.

Re: BBOTD 6th May So Young 6.05 Punchestowns 11-8 William Hill (BOG) Looks to be a 2 horse race between this and First Lieutenant but feel this has the most scope for improvement and the blunder at a crucial point in the race put paid to its chances at Cheltenham when looking all over the field and ready to win. Has beaten Zaidpour and won a maiden by miles in great style. I expect this to go off much shorter and might end up in doubles with Hurricane Fly. 2 of the outsiders are impriving types (Frisco Depotand Spirit of Adjisa) but this horse looks classy and was very well supported at Cheltenham.

Re: BBOTD 6th May harris tweed 1 pt win paddy power 2:55 chester should take advantage of what looks quite a weak field first run of the year but won on first run last year already won on this course and won well by 10 lengths was impressed with his narrow 2nd to corsica who went on to finish 3rd in the st leger hopefully gets the win here :hope

Re: BBOTD 6th May Chester 15:30 Jamesway 1 pt Win Better over 5f than 6f, decent draw here in stall 2, been round here before when good second to Foghorn Leghorn last year in a class 3, has been in some good company too the likes of Zeberdee, Arctic Feeling, Temple Meads and Excel Bolt, biggest danger probably Face the Problem but should go close today.

Re: BBOTD 6th May 4:40 Chester - Sioux Rising - 1pt @ 11/2 (Bet365) I backed this 5 year old mare last time out when she finished 2nd Musselbrugh when seemingly the second string of the Fahey runners. I thought it'd be interesting if Paul Hanagan was back on board her sometime soon and he duly hops on today. Sioux Rising is a very talented mare but finds winning tough, despite having a faultless attitude. A sharp track seems to be the key to her and she now visits one of the sharpest of them all, which I'm banking on to see her gain victory for only the 3rd time in her 19 race career. She has plenty of speed and more than enough for 6f, but seems to see out this 7f trip very well, so given that she's drawn perfectly in stall 3 and unpenalized for that run last time out, I'm expecting a very big run here. Richard Fahey can do no wrong of late, with his yard running at a 26% strike rate in the past fortnight. Hanagan is also riding exceptionally well and I think his finishing drive should prove vital to a horse who just finds it tough to go ahead in a finish, which is shown by her finishing 2nd on 5 occasions already, in races where she wasn't beaten much more than a head. They're likely to go at it from the off here which is ideal and Sioux Rising likes to race handy, which is a plus around Chester with the run in being extremely short. If she gets the break at the right times I'm in no doubt that she'll be on the premises come the final furlong and Hanagan will hopefully have her running on as well as anything. She's quick, game, talented, suited to conditions and looks nicely priced at 11/2. I'm having a medium bet on her and I expect a very good run.

Re: BBOTD 6th May 1.45 Chester My Kingdom ew 14/1 Bet 365 Won 3 times for Hughie Morrison last year over 7 furlongs including succes at Chester. In the Chester race he was rated 85 and finished in front of Fathsta by half length who has proggressed nicely since and is currently rated 105. He is only 5 lbs higher today and is well drawn in 6. Even though he was dissapointing on his debut for new stable I do think the move to Dandy Nicholls will be significant. He has a knack of finding out how his sprinters tick and I expect a big run from My Kingdom today.

Re: BBOTD 6th May 1.45 Chester Amethyst Dawn e/w 10/1 Bet 365 The Easterby stable aren't in the greatest of form but they did go very close they other day with Captain Dunne and I think they can go close with this horse today. He probably needed the run on his return to action but he did run pretty poorly. He should come on for that and show his true colours here. There are plenty of horses in this race that like to front run including the selection but he has the best draw of the front runners and he might just be able to lead. He was kept pretty busy last year and won 4 times on totally different ground conditions. He should have no problem with whatever the ground is like today. This is very competitive and much will depend on how Amethyst Dawn gets out from the 2 box but if able to get to the front, I can see him running a big race. The jockey gets on very well with him and has been on board the horse for all of his career wins. He is tough and genuine and should me give me a good run for my money.

Re: BBOTD 6th May 4.05 Chester Elmaam 5/2 Bet 365 Elmaam has a group 1 entry so they obviously think something of this horse. After an encouraging debut last season she should come on for that run this year. Although this might be her minimum trip, there is every chance she is a good deal better than these. I don't like Richard Hills but he is very good when leading which he will do today on Elmaam from stall one. The Haggas team should have a good day today at Chester.

Re: BBOTD 6th May Punchestown 4:55 The Greatjohnbrowne 3-1 Bet365(BOG) 1 POINT WIN McCoy is booked to ride this JP Macmanus horse which is trained by Noel meade. Should be the freshest of this lot which is the most interesting factor in making me chose him against some proven others, the fav has had grueling races at Cheltenham/Aintree so may not have much left for this end of season outing. Its interesting that this horse was pulled the other day specifically to run in this race which is more like its suitable conditions, course/distance and ground should be to its liking and the weight it ha son the favorite may be the telling factor at the end of the day.

Re: BBOTD 6th May 2:40 Piazza San Pietro @ Lingfield - Was running really well last year with six wins to its name.Ran well on reappearance at Epsom last month finishing 4th of 14 in a good handicap race.Is now 1lb lower than that race and drops in grade.Jockey Robert Havlin has been onboard the horse twice before when it won so knows the horse and should go close 1pt Win bet Piazza San Pietro @ 4/1 Ladbrokes

Re: BBOTD 6th May 1pt win thegreatjohnbrowne 455 ptown 7/2 PP BOG his 4th last time out in a grade 1 was probably due to him not getting the trip. that was over 3m this is 2mile 5. before that he beat the good bostons angel and then landed a grade 2. down in trip and with mccoy up top( who won for me yesterday) he should be in at the finish..wishful thinking gives him 13lb which may be too much for hobbs horse 2 concede

Re: BBOTD 6th May 1.45 Chester: Glenridding 0.5pts e/w @ 16/1 WillHill BOG Think this horse has an outstanding chance here. Drawn 7 which may not be too bad as, of the horses drawn inside, only Amethyst Dawn is a potential challenger for the lead therefore Glenridding may end up getting run of race from the front. Likes to dictate pace and has an fantastic track record here. Versatile regarding ground conditions and might not be too badly handicapped having won from 82 in October and ran well subsequently to finish close runner up from a mark of 85 next time out. Only 1lb higher here and must surely have a decent chance at a nice price.

Re: BBOTD 6th May Punchestown 4.55 Hampshire Express 0.5pt EW - 28/1 SJ He is a tricky ride, but is a very talented horse and could be well handicapped. Certainly worth a few quid at the price. Davy Condon should be able to take cover and save his energy for the final furlongs.

Re: BBOTD 6th May A touch cosy winning last time out and i can see trainer Jim Best's 3yr old colt running another great race in the first at Ascot. Jockey Luke Morris has some nice rides this evening at Ascot but its trainer Jim Best's sole runner of the night. The pick is yet to race at Ascot and he's very lightly raced but he's won 2 from 4 and this evenings trip and ground could see him even better. The trainer Jeremy Noseda and Jockey Tom Queally combo must rate a live DANGER! Ascot 5:20 - Soweto Star - 0.5 e/w bet 12/1 Bet365 Pot noodle or Chinese ?

Re: BBOTD 6th May 13:45 Chester I think it could be worth chancing Kevin Ryan's Captain Ramius here in the opener at a big price. This five year old gelding is still quite unexposed on turf having only had the 7 runs and only one of those has come on quick ground which was on his turf debut in a listed contest back in May 2009. He's not been the most consistent on turf at all but he has won once on turf and that came at this course over 7 furlongs. Today's slightly extended seven furlongs shouldn't be a problem and I am interested to see how he copes on quicker ground. That win came off a mark of 87 which is the lowest mark he has ran off of in handicap company so I find it interesting that he is back off a winning mark, especially since he finished 3rd on the all weather at Dundalk over a mile off this mark LTO so he must have chances today. His three other wins have all been on the all weather over 7 furlongs, including a listed race as a 2 year old at Dundalk. With the stable making a great start to the season and still being amongst the winners is another positive and they have had 1 winner from 3 at Chester this week. E/W Captain Ramius @ 14/1 (VC Bet - BOG)

Re: BBOTD 6th May 8:35 Aintree | Glorious Twelfth | 1pt WIN (9/4 Totesport) A newcomer from a yard with a great record in these races, I'm going for Glorious Twelfth to see off Awesome Bella on debut here. With a solid pedigree and on ground that should suit, I'll take 9/4 for a winning start.

Re: BBOTD 6th May 1.45 Chester - 1pt win Pintura @ 4/1 (Hills) I have managed to rule out plenty in the race based on form and the draw, leaving me with only one main protagonist. This happens to be the favourite who has run great races in two big handicaps this season to date. Has the form in the book and a decent draw. Should be set for a huge run today. Simcock's last 3 runners have been 2nd, but he can make amends here in a competitive race with an in-form horse.

Re: BBOTD 6th May 2.55 chester I know Wizzkid is a big St Nicholas Abbey fan after following him as a juvenile so best of luck to him but I think Harris tweed could enjoy the run of things here at chester and could take some catching. Made a good impression when winning a listed race last term. Will act on ground and can hopefully handle the class rise. Harris tweed 6/5 b365, 1 pt

Re: BBOTD 6th May 4.25 Lingfield Nahab looks a useful sort for the impressive Lanigan yard who have made a cracking start to the new season. Only showed modest amount of ability in maidens upto 8f last year but stepped up considerably on that form in handicap company end of season at Nottingham over 10f, and came back an even better prospect this year with a comfortable win at Wolverhampton over 9f clearly the drop back in trip to a mile today is a slight concern but wouldnt need to be anything special in this field under a 6lb penalty and should be easy pickings. 1pt win Nahab 13/8 sj

Re: BBOTD 6th May 4.05 Chester I Hate To Lose - entered many notebooks including mine with the way he travelled on debut at kempton last time, is pitched up in better company and is drawn horrifically but i cant help myself on this one and at the price i am willing to risk it. 1pt win 16/1 lads

Re: BBOTD 6th May

Back to being terribly unlucky... :wall
You and 4 other members had a selection in the 1:45 at Chester and still nobody found the winner, so from 14 that went to post 5 were coverd, and still nobody picked out a team that are RED HOT in form just now, Mr Paul Hanagan and Mr Fahey. Come tae feck ''flat boys'' Form book volume 1, Rule one, Page one, first line, - Follow the yard in form.

Re: BBOTD 6th May

2:55 Chester - St Nicholas Abbey - Back Right, so I'm going to be brave (some would say stupid!). I understand that I'm opening myself up to look stupid backing this lad, but if you'd have told me this time last year that I'd have got 11/8 on St Nicholas Abbey beating Harris Tweed and Allied Powers, I'd have laughed in your face. Fair enough he only managed 6th in the Guineas but it wasn't a drastic effort if you take all the betting and expectation out of it. He disappointed lto on his re-appearance but he was way too short given that he'd been off for a year. It is well known that some O'Brien sorts desperately need their first run of the season and I think he's one of them. I think he'll have improved a bundle for that run and I think he may well get back to winning ways here. If he's anywhere near the horse he was, he'll absolutely hose up here 1pt win @ 11/8 Paddy Power BOG
Am glad in reading you stayed loyal ! He was always winning today, he was brung over to be shown off.

Re: BBOTD 6th May 5.10 Chester - Sir Boss - 12/1 Bet365 Hot race with plenty in with chances so just a small play from me but this one isnt a 12/1 chance in my book. In the form of his life currently and im pinning my hopes on that it isnt just the all weather that's causing this. Last time he was in similar form was back in 2009, won by 5 lengths eased down off 74 over this trip on good to firm ground, obviously acts over todays conditions then. Since then he seemed to go off the boil and never really hit those heights again till this latest run, Michael Mullineaux seems to be getting the very best out of this one currently. Barely off the bridle when winning last time out at Wolverhampton, albeit in a weak field with this being much tougher but a 5lb rise is extremely lenient and this one could still be handicapped. Liam Jones a positive booking and from draw 5 can hopefully gain a decent pitch tracking the leaders. This ones chances come down to whether he can translate his recent all weather form to turf but a few things to me suggest he can.

Re: BBOTD 6th May Decent day so far but my BBOTD is at the opposite level of the scale. 17.05 Hamilton SMART VIOLETTA 0.5pts ew 20/1 VCBet Shown very little so far but expected to do well over further. The three races so far will hopefully have removed the greeness and I'm looking for some improvement. A little rain would be helpful. A decent ew squeak at big odds

Re: Bet Of The Day Tables : May 2011 ABOVE ALL 5.20 Ascot. 0.5 points each way. Needs to improve a little off this mark, but been gelded and could therefore improve that bit more than expected. Has ability and unexposed from a decent yard, so with the trip and ground not a concern would be a good looking each way bet at a price. I'll take the 16/1 with BlueSquare.