** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

2011 Boxing Thread

DafsT

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread

I'm also on Abraham by KO' date= TKO, DQ which is 1.62 at Boyles, as posted above. Mainly for the reasons Pete has posted. Despite his recent losses he is still a massive puncher and I feel Bozic is hand picked opponent for Abraham to knock him out and regain a little confidence in the process. Abraham KO,TKO or DQ - 10pts @ 1.62 Boyle.
:ok Easier than expected with Bozic managing to break his hand in the second round leading to the stoppage.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread A.Theophane to bt. L.Daws 10pts 2.30 Bwin A.Theophane to bt. L.Daws on pts 5pts 3.00 StanJames A.Theophane v L.Daws Over 9.5 Rounds 10pts 1.40 Boyles A.Theophane v L.Daws Draw 1pt 26.00 StanJames Taking this one quickly as it looks good value to me. I’ll stick up a bit more reasoning later as I’m rushed but I think the price on Theophane could come in a bit if I wait.. Theophane has mixed it in much higher competition and has taken wins from guys a level above Daws. Theophane comes into this one on having recently beaten Delvin Rodriguez and his wins read much more impressive than Daws. He's always competitive, even when cast in the role of opponent and I think he's better than Daws in most departments. Daws is pretty straightforward and Theophane has certainly faced tricker guys. The question will be whether he can stand up to Daws' pressure. I think he can and I think he will be able to take this one on the cards, it's a shame this one isn't on Sky as it would've thrown up some nices prices on what might be a close one on the scorecards.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Frankie Gavin is now facing Jason Cook at the top of the bill at the York Hall on Saturday night. Cook is a former European champion and last year he took British Champion Lenny Daws to a draw. Don't be fooled by that though. He lost the fight to Daws clearly in the eyes of most and his European title days are almost 8 years ago now. Cook will be taking the fight at short notice whereas Gavin has had a full training camp for this fight. Gavin has stopped all but one of his previous opponents (the tough Peter McDonagh). This is a step up in class for Gavin so I'm not expecting him to blow the Welshman away, but with Cook taking the fight at short notice and his best days being behind him, I'm going with the following: Frankie Gavin by KO, TKO, DQ - 11/10 at SportingBet - 10pts Frankie Gavin Rounds 7-12 - 11/4 at SportingBet - 5pts :ok Edit: If you're planning on taking a bet on this market I'd place it asap. Gavin's price is already shortening.

Frankie Gavin is now facing Jason Cook at the top of the bill at the York Hall on Saturday night. Cook is a former European champion and last year he took British Champion Lenny Daws to a draw. Don't be fooled by that though. He lost the fight to Daws clearly in the eyes of most and his European title days are almost 8 years ago now. Cook will be taking the fight at short notice whereas Gavin has had a full training camp for this fight. Gavin has stopped all but one of his previous opponents (the tough Peter McDonagh). This is a step up in class for Gavin so I'm not expecting him to blow the Welshman away, but with Cook taking the fight at short notice and his best days being behind him, I'm going with the following: Frankie Gavin by KO, TKO, DQ - 11/10 at SportingBet - 10pts Frankie Gavin Rounds 7-12 Rounds - 11/4 at SportingBet - 5pts I pretty much agree with JOHNNY here and this wont last for certain. Cooks definately a step up and can dig early doors but for this reasons above im going stoppage 7-12 though would not be too surprised if it ended earlier. 10pts Frankie Gavin Rounds 7-12 Rounds - 11/4 at SportingBet :ok Edit: If you're planning on taking a bet on this market I'd place it asap. Gavin's price is already shortening.
I pretty much agree with JOHNNY here and this wont last for certain. Cooks definately a step up and can dig early doors but for this reasons above im going stoppage 7-12 though would not be too surprised if it ended earlier. 10pts Frankie Gavin Rounds 7-12 Rounds - 11/4 at SportingBet

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread It looks like the board has rejected Jason Cook as an opponent for Frankie Gavin. This York Hall card is really falling apart. One bout which remains scheduled for Saturday night is the rematch between Mike Jones and Jesus Soto-Karass. The pair headed off in November in a 10 rounder which Jones took a Majority Decision. In the second round Jones backed his counterpart onto the ropes and unleashed an attack which Jones landed 58 punches. The Mexican didn't budge. On my card Karass went on to win the fight, although the judges disagreed. Jones now knows that Karass can take his best shots and I feel he will not come out looking for a knockout as he did last time. The Mexican has 5 defeats on his record although he has never been stopped. I see Jones coming out with a smarter game plan this time and taking a fairly wide decision. Karass would have to win very wide to get a decision here, as shown by him losing the last fight on the cards. Mike Jones by Decision/Tech. Decision - 11/10 at Boylesports. - 10pts :ok

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread F.Gavin to bt. M.Lomax 7-12 8pts 3.00 Skybet F.Gavin to bt. M.Lomax by UD 2pts 5.00 Skybet Don’t see any problems for Gavin here. Lomax found his level with Prizefighter and got decimated by Brook and has been soundly outpointed by Craig Watson and Bradley Pryce in his only other bouts against decent competition. This has been a late swap in opponents for Gavin so he might take a bit longer to figure out Lomax who is, more crucially, naturally a weight division above Gavin.. in his bout against Pryce he weighed in at 10lbs more than what Gavin weighed against Kelly in his last fight. Lomax has little pop though and Gavin should beat him soundly. I like a second half stoppage but it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that this goes to the cards where Gavin should sweep them.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread T.Fury to bt. M.Nascimento by KO, TKO or DQ 8pts 1.62 Boyles Research on Nascimento shows that he is a decent puncher, obviously, but very ordinary. He’s upright and stiff with a padded record full of cans. Fury should have no problem with him and although he’s not a monstrous puncher for a heavyweight I think he can do enough to stop this guy before the final bell.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread M.Jones to bt. J.Karass/N.Donaire to bt. F.Montiel/F.Gavin to bt. M.Lomax Treble 10pts 2.07 Betfred F.Montiel v N.Donaire Draw 1pt 34.00 Boyles For Gavin, see above. Jones is far superior to Karass in the second leg of this treble. He was able to eek out a decision last time but it was hotly disputed. However, Jones was well in control of the bout and Karass despite not going down was almost stopped, indeed I remember thinking it could have been waved off as the Mexican was taking so many shots with nothing coming back. Jones didn’t stop him though and shot his load, he gassed very badly short thereafter but Karass was still unable to put the nail in the coffin and overpower him. Jones has got a new strength and conditioning coach in and I cannot see how, in the right frame of mind, he loses this one. I might come back with a punt on him to stop Karass as the level in class is so big and Jones has some power but Karass is tough as nails so I’ll think some more about it. Donaire looks a class above Montiel also. It’s a rather more even fight but Donaire has the advantage for me in almost all areas save for raw power which Montiel has in abundance. I think he’ll do enough to force a late stoppage or take a wide decision on the cards although there might be a few hairy moments for him to survive. Donaire is a real P4P contender in my opinion, he puts his punches together beautifully and unless he gets careless I don’t see him losing this one.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Cant argue with much of that Pete. Intrigued to see Theophane, never seen him live. Makes it difficult from a betting perspective and has been eaarning his crust with a couple of decent wins in the States. Daws you know what your going to get and maybe a more reliable punt than the flashy and super confident AP, WHO STATES THIS IS A KEEP BUSY FIGHT!! Missed the outright 2/5 on Jones who looks in fantastic shape though Im not sure how much further he can go. Dont think he will be going for the ko this time but you would think shiould outbox the relentless Karass for a decision win as posted by Johhny. Looking adt doubling him up with Jennings next month. Donaire/Montiel should be a cracker and again I fancy Donaire but like Pete I think their could be a few hairy moments. Think Watson will turn the tables on McDonnell, just not sure whether to commit. And cant decide if the safety first Sturm will be try to get the overmatched Hearns out of there by the final bell - he shoud do but he doesnt seem keen at times.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Just going to get this in there before the boxing starts Watson v O'Donnell I think Watson is a very underrated fighter and has been ticking over nicely notching up some nice ko's on the way though not over stellar oponents so i have gone for Watson to win @ Evens Skybet 20pts

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread M.Jones to bt. J.Karass 7-12 4pts 5.50 Skybet M.Jones to bt. J.Karass on pts 7.5pts 2.10 SportingBet I guess this one goes to the cards, as Johnny alluded to. I do think there is a really good chance though that Jones stops Karass so I’ll take a punt on him to do so. If he’s a bit more considered than the first fight it will help him a lot and could lead to him causing more damage over a sustained period of time. He will surely be in better shape this time around and take a better approach, he’ll be full of confidence knowing that Karass couldn’t beat him even on his worst day.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Winners all round by the looks of it. Good stuff. Donaire is something special, Jones looked gunshy to me, could've stopped Karass but I think he was worried about his tank. Fury's opponent was hopeless, Olubamiwo is hopeless, Theophane was excellent as was Gavin. +73.21pts for the night, up to +152.42pts for the year.

Winners all round by the looks of it. Good stuff. Donaire is something special, Jones looked gunshy to me, could've stopped Karass but I think he was worried about his tank. Fury's opponent was hopeless, Olubamiwo is hopeless, Theophane was excellent as was Gavin. +73.21pts for the night, up to +152.42pts for the year.
Nice one pete! :clap

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread An insanely good night in here. Very well done guys :clap:clap.

Winners all round by the looks of it. Good stuff. Donaire is something special, Jones looked gunshy to me, could've stopped Karass but I think he was worried about his tank. Fury's opponent was hopeless, Olubamiwo is hopeless, Theophane was excellent as was Gavin. +73.21pts for the night, up to +152.42pts for the year.
Now that's what I call a good birthday :nana.

It looks like the board has rejected Jason Cook as an opponent for Frankie Gavin. This York Hall card is really falling apart. One bout which remains scheduled for Saturday night is the rematch between Mike Jones and Jesus Soto-Karass. The pair headed off in November in a 10 rounder which Jones took a Majority Decision. In the second round Jones backed his counterpart onto the ropes and unleashed an attack which Jones landed 58 punches. The Mexican didn't budge. On my card Karass went on to win the fight, although the judges disagreed. Jones now knows that Karass can take his best shots and I feel he will not come out looking for a knockout as he did last time. The Mexican has 5 defeats on his record although he has never been stopped. I see Jones coming out with a smarter game plan this time and taking a fairly wide decision. Karass would have to win very wide to get a decision here, as shown by him losing the last fight on the cards. Mike Jones by Decision/Tech. Decision - 11/10 at Boylesports. - 10pts :ok
My 100% record on PL continues... :cheers

I think he will be once first bell comes' date=' even if its pure reputation...been reading a lot about him recently but have only seen him once.[/quote'] Yeah that's why I was surprised... Acosta's a relatively unknown fighter, but a very good one nonetheless. Rios has already had a HBO appearance where he dominated Anthony Peterson and handed him his first loss with good pressure tactics... I favor Acosta, and am disappointed with the odds that are offered since I expected to get over Evens for him in what is viewed as a 50/50 fight.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread S.Foster to bt. E.Fegatilli by KO, TKO or DQ 8pts 2.38 StanJames This one looks pretty straightforward to me but I’m going in blind a little bit. Fegatilli has lost four times already and now faces his best opponent to date in Foster. He’s won his last 8 but it’s mostly filled with cans. There’s no footage of him anywhere apparently, which speaks volumes but also means we can only go on his record which is lacklustre to say the least. This bout looks very much like the Hatton-Belge one from a few months back, Foster being promoted by Hatton’s team, and I don’t see any problems whatsoever for Foster on home ground against a guy with no power. Fegatilli hasn’t fought even a 10 rounder for nearly 3 years and nicely fits the role of opponent for Foster here. Over 12 I’d expect the class difference to show and Foster’s confidence should be sky high after knocking out Kirakosyan. Foster has stopped two thirds of his opponents in total and can do it again here.

S.Foster to bt. E.Fegatilli by KO' date= TKO or DQ 6pts 2.38 StanJames This one looks pretty straightforward to me but I’m going in blind a little bit. Fegatilli has lost four times already and now faces his best opponent to date in Foster. He’s won his last 8 but it’s mostly filled with cans. There’s no footage of him anywhere apparently, which speaks volumes but also means we can only go on his record which is lacklustre to say the least. This bout looks very much like the Hatton-Belge one from a few months back, Foster being promoted by Hatton’s team, and I don’t see any problems whatsoever for Foster on home ground against a guy with no power. Fegatilli hasn’t fought even a 10 rounder for nearly 3 years and nicely fits the role of opponent for Foster here. Over 12 I’d expect the class difference to show and Foster’s confidence should be sky high after knocking out Kirakosyan. Foster has stopped two thirds of his opponents in total and can do it again here.
Nice post. Came on to to it myself but you crafty bar steward:lol....into 6/5 now BP 5/4. Like it though. As you say going a bit blind but it suits. The Belgian has never been stopped but his defeats really were against light punchers. I like the confidence factor and the fact that Foster is taking no chances in his preparation. I do think his ko of Kirokysan can be a bit misleading though, more due to his opponent than his own power. Anyway 10pts S.Foster to bt. E.Fegatilli by KO, TKO or DQ 5/4 BluSq Below is my post for his last fight, by the looks of iot I had a couple of jars but still got it badly wrong:) Foster Jr v Kirakosyan 2 cracking posts by Pulio and Greenhoff pretty much sum it up for me.:clap Going for the home run here but will cover accordingly an play the books to cover myself. When I first saw this announced Ithought Kirakosyan KO bbut now I think Im leving that as I dont see it as a value punt considering a couple of circumstances. I think the win over Lawton flattered him a touch and the books have over reacted. There is no doubt the guy can be a beast early doors. The question here for me though is whether Foster can weather the early storm. There is encourage ment to show hw can though. He took an arguably peak Matthews the distance annd gave Arthur hell. I konw nothing of the Russians amateur pedigree but from his early pedigree but it seems he learnt on the job. Its standard that he will come out and try and plant to land bombs imo. If Foster can survive the early rounds, the later it goes I think he has a chance. Foster doesnt really seem to deserve this chancebut word is good from the camp and he looks in good shape and maybe something has been spotted. Kiroksyan is now 36 and you have to wonder if he doesnt get Foster put eearly and the biy is still punching back halfway then maybe enthusiasm will slowly drain, after all he has only gone past 6 in the last 5 yrs when outboxed to a UD. eGGS IN SEVERAL BASKETS TO COVER WHICH WOTH ME USUALLY GOES WRONG BUT CAN ONLY PUNT ON WHAT I SEE AS VALUE AND NO APOLOGIES FOR THE SPLIT SAVERS:). Recommended bets 10pts Foster Jr WIN 7-12 16/1 Sporting Bet 5pts Foster win Dec/TD 9/2 Betfed 3PTS Kirokysan 1-3 9/2 Sportingbet 3 pts Kirokosyan 4-6 5/1 >Boyles

Yeah that's why I was surprised... Acosta's a relatively unknown fighter' date=' but a very good one nonetheless. Rios has already had a HBO appearance where he dominated Anthony Peterson and handed him his first loss with good pressure tactics... I favor Acosta, and am disappointed with the odds that are offered since I expected to get over Evens for him in what is viewed as a 50/50 fight.[/quote'] I like the thinking, though Im goping to hold for a while - hopefully other books will open. 10/11 a piece now with Sportingbet - this is the only current book. But OPs were Rios 6/5, Acosta 4/6 I like Acosta. Have a vid or 2 to watch to confirm but like I say Im sure its his rep that will put Rios8/11 come opening bell, he simply looks a little too crude for me.

I like the thinking, though Im goping to hold for a while - hopefully other books will open. 10/11 a piece now with Sportingbet - this is the only current book. But OPs were Rios 6/5, Acosta 4/6 I like Acosta. Have a vid or 2 to watch to confirm but like I say Im sure its his rep that will put Rios8/11 come opening bell, he simply looks a little too crude for me.
I'm hoping to eventually get 21/20 or something of the sort for Acosta by tomorrow night... Another good price is 10/11 for the fight not to go the distance... Acosta can brawl as well as box, so it wouldn't surprise me if a stoppage came his way... I'm not a Rios fan, and maybe that's hindering my decision here, but this looks a decent matchup for Acosta and hopefully somewhere will open with Evs or more.

This one looks pretty straightforward to me but I’m going in blind a little bit. Fegatilli has lost four times already and now faces his best opponent to date in Foster. He’s won his last 8 but it’s mostly filled with cans. There’s no footage of him anywhere apparently' date= which speaks volumes but also means we can only go on his record which is lacklustre to say the least.
I think you're going by guess work a bit to much to be honest Pete. While I do think a Foster Stoppage is the most likely outcome I'm not going to go into a bet without knowing enough about the opponent. Therefore, No bet from me. :ok

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Mexico vs. Philippines I was really excited about this match and thought it's gonna be a bloody fight but it wasn't.. In just 2 rounds, Donaire "the Filipino Flash" knocked down his opponent, Montiel..whew!! that was the best and fastest fight ive ever seen in the entire boxing history.. no sweat!:clap