** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

2011 Boxing Thread

DafsT

I'm not sure if its my place to start this years boxing thread, but I'm going to do it regardless because there's a decent schedule coming up next week with two alphabet title fights, two European title fights and a nice domestic dust-up. Last year there were a few people active in the boxing thread, so I hope that there'll be a similar interest this time round. I'm not a moderator or anything, but I guess you have to state the odds and your bookmaker choice with every selection, along with a few lines of reasoning behind your bet. Keep track of your own record unless someone volunteers to. Good luck everyone! :hope

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Stephane Jamoye @ 4/1 SportingBet 5 points Stephane Jamoye by decision @ 15/2 SportingBet 2 points Stephane Jamoye UD @ 16/1 SkyBet 1 point Over 8.5 Total Rounds @ 1/2 StanJames 10 points Jamie McDonnell has done much better than I expected him to in his last three fights, winning his last two by stoppage. The win over Ian Napa was very controversial, and I thought that Napa deserved the nod in that fight. Napa is the best name on McDonnell's resume as regards to world rankings, but its hard to really gauge how good Jerome Arnould was. He had lost to Wladimir Sidorenko by seventh round stoppage, so he was no higher than fringe contender. Stephane Jamoye poses a different challenge. Coming off a close split decision loss to Tomoki Kameda (arguably the most naturally gifted Kameda brother but still slightly raw), proves that Jamoye is not an easy fight like Bracco. He's a lot shorter than McDonnell and not as slippery as Napa, but he's a very effective fighter once he gets to work with his combinations. I don't think Jamoye is much better than McDonnell, but he should no way be priced @ 4s. I can't see McDonnell having the power to stop Jamoye, who is a tough character. Jamoye's style of grinding his opponents down could force a late stoppage, but neither guy carries the kind of one-punch power to end this early on. I think @ 1.5 that Over 8.5 Total Rounds is a gift of a bet from StanJames. Steve Cunningham by decision @ 8/11 SportingBet (8 points) I think Steve Cunningham is the best cruiserweight in the world at the moment, and with his move to Sauerland Promotions, should secure a lot of quality fights over the next year. His first step in 2011 comes against Enad Licina, a fighter with two losses to recognizable names to the hardcore fan. One of those losses came in his fourth professional contest to Aleksey Kuziemski, with the other more recent against Yoan Pablo Hernandez, who's turning out to be one of the better fighters at 200 pounds. Licina is no pushover and should offer some resistance for Cunningham, but I see U.S.S. utilizing his jab and using his superior boxing skills to win a comprehensive decision.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread

Steve Cunningham by decision @ 8/11 SportingBet (8 points) I think Steve Cunningham is the best cruiserweight in the world at the moment, and with his move to Sauerland Promotions, should secure a lot of quality fights over the next year. His first step in 2011 comes against Enad Licina, a fighter with two losses to recognizable names to the hardcore fan. One of those losses came in his fourth professional contest to Aleksey Kuziemski, with the other more recent against Yoan Pablo Hernandez, who's turning out to be one of the better fighters at 200 pounds. Licina is no pushover and should offer some resistance for Cunningham, but I see U.S.S. utilizing his jab and using his superior boxing skills to win a comprehensive decision.
Card cancelled. Bet is a void.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread D.Mathews to bt. S.Lawton 10pts 1.50 Skybet D.Mathews to bt. S.Lawton 1-12 (Any Method) 7.5pts 2.88 Skybet D.Mathews to bt. S.Lawton 1-6 4pts 6.0 SportingBet* D.Mathews v S.Lawton Draw 0.5pts 34.00 Skybet Lawton has already stated this’ll be his last fight, which should provide reason enough to back against him here. He’s not exactly a tough test either way, he’s been stopped 4 times and that number would’ve hit 5 had he gone a couple more with Gary Sykes last time out (3 round Prizefighter bout) as he was getting blitzed from the outset. He’s been stopped in his last two losses and a rejuvenated Mathews should have enough to grab an easy win here and avenge a 2009 defeat. Lawton has little pop and you wonder how seriously he is taking this fight anyway. I can see him taking one too many and being stopped before the midway point as he settles for the payday and sails off into the sunset (or the job centre). Incidentally the 4lb move up in weight should alleviate some of the worries about Mathews’ vulnerability, however it’ll remain a worry for as long as he boxes. If his comeback is as serious as it sounds, and he intends to box at a decent level in the future then this is one he has to have. He certainly looked a lot fresher in Prizefighter, taking out the joint favourite before falling to the eventual winner. Mathews is the one with the upside here and it looks all set up for him to put a decent(ish) name on his record as he tries to get back to somewhere near title contention. *SportingBet are amongst the worst bookies I’ve ever encountered for limiting bets so you’d be lucky to get matched the equivalent of whatever your staking plan is. 4.33 is available at Skybet alternatively.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread McDonnell decision Evens Skybet 10pts Matthews in rounds 1-12 15/8 Skybet 10pts McDonnell is really beginning to come into his own after a great 2010 he will be looking to kick on in 2011 and Jamoye is a top quality Euro oponnent only one loss on his record to one of the Kameda brothers which was an SD. Jamoye having gone the distance with Kameda looks sturdy enough and McDonnell isnt a banger so i expect this to go the distance and possibly be controversial but i expect his high workrate to impress the home judges to clinch the decision Matthews is on the comeback trail and is looking to make amends for previous losses. Already beating former conqueror Choi in prizefighter he is going after Lawton. Lawton looks well on the slide stating this is his last contest win lose or draw, never a good sign. I expect a confident Matthews to pick Lawton apart for a stoppage between 6-9 in front of a vociferous home crowd.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Nice one guys:ok Aa slow start to the new year with the best fights seemingly posponed. I dont mind keeping the P/L but only for those who want to be involved. It descended into a touch of chaos last year so this year Im just going to be strict regarding stakes etc. Ive been delaying wrapping the other thread up but will do it now and come back with some input hopefully.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread This was the final post in last years thread with P/Ls Thanks Matt:ok Just wanted to tidy this up before moving on to the new one. I will copy bits over as well. Like stated previously not all these records are 100% accurate but the majority are (this is due the 10pt stake rule that was implemented). Anyway these are P/Ls for the yaer and it makes decent reading. Foo 87.02 Mowgli 47.50 Bertie -56.00 Matt -17.22 LFCPete 40.69 Greenhoff 92.53 Kevshat -3.14 Andyharon 1094.00 PaulM 46.12 DafsT -68.68 Superbent 35.00 hornet18 -10.00 winbet -10.00 Manho -3.80 Pulio 64.62 Pakelly 16.43 Breakball -20.00 Profit - 1335.07pts Evenn take way AndyHarons 1094 and the thread still shows +250pts. This would be a lot more (300+pts) but for a terrible December where a few took some baad beats and in my case some poor selections:lol Roll on next year as I still think I can make a grand in a year without risking a roll.:hope

Hi guys A few people seem to be interested in this or at least I hope they are. Im going to run a thread for myself with selections and hopefully double my money over the year. Anyone is welcome to join in and I will keep a record if need be (hopefully someone will volunteer as Im so disorganised!!!!;) All selections need to be justified and same as last year trial we will start with a balance of 1000 points where the maximum stake is 10% of your personal bankroll. I think its definately achievable to double your money this way, so here goes.....gl guys:ok Updated rules as of post 272.... I dont want to seem high and mighty or like Im cracking a whip but feel I need to post something for my own sanity - bear in mind this is only for the benefit of the table, you can post what you want I have no problem with that but if you want your selections to be included in the thread table please abide by the following basic rules. 1. Reasoning is required with all selections, even if it is only a line or two. I appreciate that in certain (usually more mainstream) fights that various comments may have made previously that you agree with and feel it is pointless to mention again but still its possible to quote and add a couple of aomments yourself. 2. When stating your selection please include Stake, odds and which bookie. Please make these points as clear as possible and I really would appreciate it if you could highlight these in bold. It only takes a second and saves me reading each individual post in order to find selections which really can be quite time consuming. 3. >Betfair. Thought a bit about this and although I have no problem with people stating what they took on betfair, for the purpose of the table only bookies prices that are available to everybody should be used. 4. Editing and after eventing. It is fine to change your mind regarding staking but please please dont edit posts especially after the fight. It would be best if the original post was quoted and then state your ammendment. 5. Stakes. Due to this being originally a thread for myself I want to stick with the staking that I stated in the original post of only being able to stake a maximum of 10% of your bankroll which was set as a theoretical 1000 pts (this is what I originally started the thread with the aim of doubling my money by the end of the year). Various people have stated that if no stake is included then use a standard stake of 10 pts - I now intend to implement this across the board and have had to use it a couple of times.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread The above is only what intend to do, not that I have come close yet:) As for point 5 regarding the stakes. I wont be doing that this year unless people state at the beginning that they are going to play along at 10 pts (or X amont points) stake. Only posts that cover these rules will be posted in the table. Last year it got too chaotic and I couldnt upload the spreadsheet so this year I will do a monthly update, I think this will provide a clearer view and make it easier for me. GL Guys:ok:hope

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Thierry Karl @ 4/6 Boylesports 8 points Thierry Karl by KO/TKO/DQ @ 5/4 Skybet 4 points This should be a fun fight while it lasts. Karl can bang, as can McIntosh. Neither fighter is known for their defensive capabilities and will go for it. I've considered McIntosh for this fight because I think he has the power to chin-check Karl, but with hometown advantage and numerous other intangibles in his favour, Karl should win this fight. French judging is as bad as British judging, so there will be no favours for McIntosh on the cards.

The above is only what intend to do, not that I have come close yet:) As for point 5 regarding the stakes. I wont be doing that this year unless people state at the beginning that they are going to play along at 10 pts (or X amont points) stake. Only posts that cover these rules will be posted in the table. Last year it got too chaotic and I couldnt upload the spreadsheet so this year I will do a monthly update, I think this will provide a clearer view and make it easier for me. GL Guys:ok:hope
I think i may have had some posts without stakes last year. If so, i apologise and will make sure to put down the stake in future. Also, i just wanted to say that i really enjoy reading the posts on this thread. I try to watch as many fights as possible but i am no where near as knowledagble as you guys so your posts give me great help in weighing up some fights. I believe greenhoff is not going to be posting here anymore? He done a really good job here and will be sorely missed. :cry

Thierry Karl @ 4/6 Boylesports 8 points Thierry Karl by KO/TKO/DQ @ 5/4 Skybet 4 points This should be a fun fight while it lasts. Karl can bang, as can McIntosh. Neither fighter is known for their defensive capabilities and will go for it. I've considered McIntosh for this fight because I think he has the power to chin-check Karl, but with hometown advantage and numerous other intangibles in his favour, Karl should win this fight. French judging is as bad as British judging, so there will be no favours for McIntosh on the cards.
I agree with this, I'm just getting on Karl to win though. Going back to basics for a week or two boxing betting wise so I'm not going to try to be too clever with my picks. Thierry Karl to win, 10 pts, 1.66, Boylesports

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Yeah I'm with Dafs and Paul on that one. I really don't rate McIntosh at all, couldn't even see him as a credible British champ in all honesty. Think Bellew would batter him and that says a lot.. T.Karl to bt. D.McIntosh 10pts 1.67 Boyles T.Karl to bt. D.McIntosh 1-12 (any method) 5pts 2.25 Skybet T.Karl v D.McIntosh Draw 0.5pt 34.00 Skybet

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread I was going to leave this one but I expect it'll be a very tight affair and go the distance so these have caught the eye.. J.McDonnell to bt. S.Jamoye by MD 81.00 1pt J.McDonnell to bt. S.Jamoye by SD 9.50 1pt S.Jamoye to bt. J.McDonnell by MD 101.00 1pt S.Jamoye to bt. J.McDonnell by SD 9.50 1pt S.Jamoye v J.McDonnell Draw 26.00 1pt Either to Win on Points 1.73 7.5pts ..all with Skybet

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Pretty ridiculous fight between Karl and McIntosh, who looked as sh*t as ever. Karl was pitching a shutout until he was stopped from out of nowhere, looked early to me as well. Mathews won on points, apparently Lawton was lucky to survive the 6th but never mind. McDonnell won by MD @ 80/1 so +58.98pts to start the year for me.

Stephane Jamoye @ 4/1 SportingBet 5 points Stephane Jamoye by decision @ 15/2 SportingBet 2 points Stephane Jamoye UD @ 16/1 SkyBet 1 point Over 8.5 Total Rounds @ 1/2 StanJames 10 points Jamie McDonnell has done much better than I expected him to in his last three fights, winning his last two by stoppage. The win over Ian Napa was very controversial, and I thought that Napa deserved the nod in that fight. Napa is the best name on McDonnell's resume as regards to world rankings, but its hard to really gauge how good Jerome Arnould was. He had lost to Wladimir Sidorenko by seventh round stoppage, so he was no higher than fringe contender. Stephane Jamoye poses a different challenge. Coming off a close split decision loss to Tomoki Kameda (arguably the most naturally gifted Kameda brother but still slightly raw), proves that Jamoye is not an easy fight like Bracco. He's a lot shorter than McDonnell and not as slippery as Napa, but he's a very effective fighter once he gets to work with his combinations. I don't think Jamoye is much better than McDonnell, but he should no way be priced @ 4s. I can't see McDonnell having the power to stop Jamoye, who is a tough character. Jamoye's style of grinding his opponents down could force a late stoppage, but neither guy carries the kind of one-punch power to end this early on. I think @ 1.5 that Over 8.5 Total Rounds is a gift of a bet from StanJames.
Jamie McDonnell/Stephane Jamoye -3.00 POINTS
Thierry Karl @ 4/6 Boylesports 8 points Thierry Karl by KO/TKO/DQ @ 5/4 Skybet 4 points This should be a fun fight while it lasts. Karl can bang, as can McIntosh. Neither fighter is known for their defensive capabilities and will go for it. I've considered McIntosh for this fight because I think he has the power to chin-check Karl, but with hometown advantage and numerous other intangibles in his favour, Karl should win this fight. French judging is as bad as British judging, so there will be no favours for McIntosh on the cards.
Thierry Karl/Danny McIntosh -12.00 POINTS I'm not really that bothered that I changed my mind (bloody Brickhaus! :wall). -15 Points is a horrible start!

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Going to take this one now as I see the price dropping in line with the others.. I'll post reasoning later on as I'm knackered.. T.Bradley to bt. D.Alexander on pts 10pts Evens StanJames EDIT: I really wasn’t impressed with Alexander against Kotelnik where the Ukrainian was the one landing all of the hard and meaningful shots but coming out on the wrong end of a terrible decision. Bradley continues to go from strength to strength and I see him taking enough rounds to take this one on the cards. Alexander could have his moments though and Bradley has been on the deck before so that could be something to look out for as Alexander will try to land that patented uppercut as Bradley comes in. This could be another close one on the cards though, looking likely go the distance as it does, so I’ll take a few on the decision markets too. T.Bradley to bt. D.Alexander by MD 1pt 23.00 Skybet T.Bradley to bt. D.Alexander by SD 1pt 7.50 Skybet D.Alexander to bt. T.Bradley by MD 0.5pt 34.00 Skybet D.Alexander v T.Bradley Draw 0.5pt 26.00 Boyles D.Alexander to bt. T.Bradley 7-12 1pt 12.00 Skybet

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread PRIZEFIGHTER Cant say that I know much about most of these gguys, the majority of which I have never heard of. Have see Banbula, Dodson and Dickinson fight so that’s as far as I go. The rest is from what I have read and records. All the following are current BPs. Tony Dodson – 7/2 Most experienced in big fights but lost at the higher level Current favourite that has shortened Moving up in weight to LH but claims weight loss was a factoer when gassing Fought in a massively higher class than his opponents Travis Dickinson – 7/2 Beat Groves twice in amateurs – once stopping him Beat previous winner Mendy when they both debuted together Undefeated in 7 Claims poor showing against Rasani was through pooor preperation and training Brother won the comp and trainer has had success with Sprott and someone else who I cant remember off hand Llewellyn Davies – 5/1 Former Welsh amateur captain Undefeated, not lost a round and has 3 stoppages in 5 fights - breaking someones jaaw in the process Bit mouthy and very confident Claims he is avoided but last fought 2 months ago having gone pro in ’09 Atheltic and played for Coventry and PNE in his teens Joe Smyth – 11/2 Captained the likes of DeGale and Gavin at amateur level Career not taken off and somewhat feels left behind. Stopped Rasani in 2 – Dickinson struggled a lot Won 7 in 8 against lowish opposition but loss came to someone 1-3-1 at the time Michael Banbula – 12/1 "The Dark Horse" according to every man and his dog Record - Won 11 lost 25 drawn 4 Been victim of promoter decisions Only win in first 15 fights was against Jack Morris, a fellow prizefighter Will be big and natural at the weight On his best run – undefeated in 5 including a draw with Jeffries and a catapulting win over Tony Oakey Will be hungry for this on a level playing field Menay Edwards – 12/1 Undefeated in 5 – 1ko Reafy to fight – he says politics have got in the way Don’t know much more Jack Morris 18/1 Part time model Beaten BY Banbula on debut – undefeated in 5 since Will be in shape Once touted as a prospect – still takes boxing seriously Could probably make super middle – so maybe not too big Billy Slate 25/1 Undefeated in 2 (0 ko’s) Last fight Dec ’09 due to knee injury As you can see I have limited info. Personally in what could be a huge mistake I am going to discount Dodson. Think he has put his heart and soul into his career but may have left some of it in the ring. Heis moving up in weight after 2 tough fights and is msybe facing a couple of potentially unknowns in the 3 fights he will have to win to take the title, would be a worthy winner but for me there are too many negatives. Gointg to discount Smyth simply on the fact that he lost to 1-3-1. I don’t know the circumstamces but that’s my reasoning. Going to also discount the 2 outsiders – Morris, due to his loss to Banbula and Slate due to inexperience but more so due to inactivity. Inactive prizefighters records in this comp stink. That leaves me with Dickinson and Davies who face eah other but are both in the same half of the draw. Or: Banbula and Menay. Banbula will do well to get past Dodson and he is a far better fighter than his record suggests (often victim of a promotional shove) but I think he will be seriously up for this. Good displays against named opponents in his last 3 fights confirm this. Finally there is an unbeaten prospect I know absolutly jack about, who is a 2/1 dog in his first fightagainst someone I have already discounted. Dot know how Im going to stake it at the moment but that’s all I know at the moment. Ideally would like to play on betfair for the tournament and lay but not going to have that chance so will have to think about stakes that will stand.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Bradley v Alexander Cracking fight that has flown way below the radar. Both undefeated fighters where the winner could face Khan but then again politics doesnt work like that. This is a bit of a strange one as I fancy the Bradly . but only going to use it as cover. Its a well matched fight in which I slightly favour Bradley but in my eyes he is underpriced. Alexander has the power and moves but Bradleys pace is unrelentless and he seems to show a very good chin. Both have fought and beaten a similar calibre of opponent but in hindsight Alexander ledger looks a little beeter from my eyes. In his last 3 Alexander has stopped both Witter (granted a shoulder injury apparently but he was well on top) and Urango (known for his granite chin and someone hatton couldnt put away) and then beat Kotelnik on points. Bradley on the other hand struggled to a (must say a little generous to Witter imo) SD over Witter. A win over Holt (who was coming off a draw to Demetrius Hopkins and then lost to 22-6 Mabuza) a nc/win over Nate Campbell (Who since lost every round to Ortiz, then lost to a journeyman and retired) no disrespect there to a true champ in Campbell. Bradley then beat an overmatched Peterson and a relatively unheralded Argentine. No disrespect to Bradley - you can only beat what is put in front of you. And at the time they were credible opponents - just their fights after proved thaey had lost their way. This said, in hindsight maybe Alexanders record looks slightly better. But Bradleys high punch output has a chance to befuddle Alexander which I believe is a decent possibiility hence the saver bet. Also, I know I shouldnt believe every thing I read but I saw it mentioned a week or two back that Bradley had suffere from flu but would fight regardless. Even if a little bit of that i s true its got to hinder the training. Recommended split bets 25 pts Alexander bt Bradley by Dec/TD 3/1 Unibet 5 pts Alexander stoppage 9/1 Bet365 20 pts Bradley bt Alexander by Dec/TD 1/1 SJ Typed this up and when gone to stake, for one reason or another changed my mind. Recommended bet 12pts Alexander bt Bradley 15/8@Betfred

Bradley v Alexander Cracking fight that has flown way below the radar. Both undefeated fighters where the winner could face Khan but then again politics doesnt work like that. This is a bit of a strange one as I fancy the Bradly . but only going to use it as cover. Its a well matched fight in which I slightly favour Bradley but in my eyes he is underpriced. Alexander has the power and moves but Bradleys pace is unrelentless and he seems to show a very good chin. Both have fought and beaten a similar calibre of opponent but in hindsight Alexander ledger looks a little beeter from my eyes. In his last 3 Alexander has stopped both Witter (granted a shoulder injury apparently but he was well on top) and Urango (known for his granite chin and someone hatton couldnt put away) and then beat Kotelnik on points. Bradley on the other hand struggled to a (must say a little generous to Witter imo) SD over Witter. A win over Holt (who was coming off a draw to Demetrius Hopkins and then lost to 22-6 Mabuza) a nc/win over Nate Campbell (Who since lost every round to Ortiz, then lost to a journeyman and retired) no disrespect there to a true champ in Campbell. Bradley then beat an overmatched Peterson and a relatively unheralded Argentine. No disrespect to Bradley - you can only beat what is put in front of you. And at the time they were credible opponents - just their fights after proved thaey had lost their way. This said, in hindsight maybe Alexanders record looks slightly better. But Bradleys high punch output has a chance to befuddle Alexander which I believe is a decent possibiility hence the saver bet. Also, I know I shouldnt believe every thing I read but I saw it mentioned a week or two back that Bradley had suffere from flu but would fight regardless. Even if a little bit of that i s true its got to hinder the training.
Judging by parts of your posts it seems like you haven't actually watched most of these fights. It seems very much that you are basing most of your judgement on a look at both the fighters records, which is never a good tactic. In the Alexander-Kotelnik fight the majority of people scored it to Kotelnik, it was a pure home decision. Also the Bradley-Witter fight is a fantastic win for Bradley. It was a clear win for Timmy and it was only a bit of home cookin' that reduced it to an SD. Again the NC over Nate Campbell. It was a fight in which Bradley was winning every round and was taking Campbell to school before the cut stopped it. I'm picking Bradley by decision in this one. One reason being that Timmy is one of the most adaptable fighters out there. He is so well rounded that he can beat you in 5 different ways. Whereas Alexander is very one dimensional as we seen in the Kotelnik bout where it was clear that the fight was going all wrong for him. If Alexander tries these same naive tactics against Bradley he may pick up a round or 2 but after that Timmy will adjust and come out on top. The only way I see Alexander taking this is if he can land that big money punch, like he did against Urango. Don't expect Bradley to walk on to one of those easily though. He will be well aware of Alexander's range of shots... and even if he is put down we know that his chin and survival instincts will stand him in good stead. On the topic of Bradley's flu... I don't think it was the flu. It was a cold, possibly a bad one at that. If you've got the flu, you can't train through it, which Bradley did. I've seen some footage of Bradley training and some interviews from the past couple of weeks and it doesn't look like it's something that will have a major effect on the fight. Bradley by Decision - Evens - SportingBet.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread I think you've been a bit harsh on Bradley there Foo. The win against Bradley was a superb performance, back when Witter was still somebody. Witter was coming off a brutal KO of Vivian Harris and was heavily favoured going into the fight. His most recent fights were near perfect shutouts against Abregu and Peterson, who was also highly regarded as a prospect going into the fight. He trains like a machine, has a spot on attitude and is an incredibly smart fighter, I've stuck my neck on the line before and said that I think he's the Floyd Mayweather of the next decade. His ring IQ is up there, and he improves with each fight. Alexander is decent enough, but IMHO just not good enough to beat Bradley. I think the fight against Kotelnik was telling, Kotelnik is as one dimensional as they come and Alexander struggled to adapt to take a decision most (including me) felt he should have dropped. I think this is a fairly comfortable victory for Bradley, which should set up a massive, massive unification with Khan. I've got 10 pts, Bradley @ 1.53 (paddypower)

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Witter was on Ringside last night and feels Bradley will win this fight. Witter had family problems when he fought Bradley (father had cancer) but he was still well beaten and that's not an excuse. I just feel Bradley will have extra gears and more skills than Alexander but no idea if he can ko him.

PRIZEFIGHTER Cant say that I know much about most of these gguys, the majority of which I have never heard of. Have see Banbula, Dodson and Dickinson fight so that’s as far as I go. The rest is from what I have read and records. All the following are current BPs. Tony Dodson – 7/2 Most experienced in big fights but lost at the higher level Current favourite that has shortened Moving up in weight to LH but claims weight loss was a factoer when gassing Fought in a massively higher class than his opponents Travis Dickinson – 7/2 Beat Groves twice in amateurs – once stopping him Beat previous winner Mendy when they both debuted together Undefeated in 7 Claims poor showing against Rasani was through pooor preperation and training Brother won the comp and trainer has had success with Sprott and someone else who I cant remember off hand Llewellyn Davies – 5/1 Former Welsh amateur captain Undefeated, not lost a round and has 3 stoppages in 5 fights - breaking someones jaaw in the process Bit mouthy and very confident Claims he is avoided but last fought 2 months ago having gone pro in ’09 Atheltic and played for Coventry and PNE in his teens Joe Smyth – 11/2 Captained the likes of DeGale and Gavin at amateur level Career not taken off and somewhat feels left behind. Stopped Rasani in 2 – Dickinson struggled a lot Won 7 in 8 against lowish opposition but loss came to someone 1-3-1 at the time Michael Banbula – 12/1 "The Dark Horse" according to every man and his dog Record - Won 11 lost 25 drawn 4 Been victim of promoter decisions Only win in first 15 fights was against Jack Morris, a fellow prizefighter Will be big and natural at the weight On his best run – undefeated in 5 including a draw with Jeffries and a catapulting win over Tony Oakey Will be hungry for this on a level playing field Menay Edwards – 12/1 Undefeated in 5 – 1ko Reafy to fight – he says politics have got in the way Don’t know much more Jack Morris 18/1 Part time model Beaten BY Banbula on debut – undefeated in 5 since Will be in shape Once touted as a prospect – still takes boxing seriously Could probably make super middle – so maybe not too big Billy Slate 25/1 Undefeated in 2 (0 ko’s) Last fight Dec ’09 due to knee injury As you can see I have limited info. Personally in what could be a huge mistake I am going to discount Dodson. Think he has put his heart and soul into his career but may have left some of it in the ring. Heis moving up in weight after 2 tough fights and is msybe facing a couple of potentially unknowns in the 3 fights he will have to win to take the title, would be a worthy winner but for me there are too many negatives. Gointg to discount Smyth simply on the fact that he lost to 1-3-1. I don’t know the circumstamces but that’s my reasoning. Going to also discount the 2 outsiders – Morris, due to his loss to Banbula and Slate due to inexperience but more so due to inactivity. Inactive prizefighters records in this comp stink. That leaves me with Dickinson and Davies who face eah other but are both in the same half of the draw. Or: Banbula and Menay. Banbula will do well to get past Dodson and he is a far better fighter than his record suggests (often victim of a promotional shove) but I think he will be seriously up for this. Good displays against named opponents in his last 3 fights confirm this. Finally there is an unbeaten prospect I know absolutly jack about, who is a 2/1 dog in his first fightagainst someone I have already discounted. Dot know how Im going to stake it at the moment but that’s all I know at the moment. Ideally would like to play on betfair for the tournament and lay but not going to have that chance so will have to think about stakes that will stand.
Like I say this looks quite open so nothing solid but I want an interest. Going to go with Banbula as I like his experience and he is in the best form of his career and his winning results look the most impressive of late. Tough task against Dodson in his opening fight though. Going to take savers on Davies and Dickenson even though they fight each other in the first round. That said the winner is in the weaker side of the draw. I like the confidence of Davies and 'experts' seem to like his chances. Decent amateur to boot and could be an unknown quantity. Dickenson tempts as a saver as well. His brother has won this so will be receiving experienced advice. Wins over Groves but that was a long time ago, wont want to let anyone down and will probably be under more pressure more than most. Recommended bets to win Prizefighter. 10 pts Banbula 11/1 Boyles 8 pts Davies 5/1 Boyles 6 pts Dickenson 10/3 Sporting Bet Also like Morris to bt Slade. Inactive fighters dont seem to have the best records in PF and Slade is only a 2 fight novice that said Morris only has had 5 fights but will be fit for this, so will have a tickle on Morris. 7.50 pts Morris bt Slade 9/10 VC

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Sorry I'm late posting and running short on time as I need to go out... Chavez Jr. Rounds 1-6 @ 5/2 SportingBet [5 points] Chavez Jr. Rounds 7-12 @ 11/8 SportingBet [8 points] Bradley on points @ 11/10 SportingBet [10 points] Bradley/Alexander One Fighter to be KD @ 19/10 [1 point] Dickenson to win outright @ 10/3 SportingBet [4 points] If you class Dickenson as after eventing, that's fair enough I'll just scrap it off my count. Chavez Jr. isn't all that, but he's a lot better than Billy Lyell. Lyell was stopped by Sylvester, and I think Chavez Jr. has more pop than the German and is much better. Lyell got a good win out of John Duddy, and is a brave fighter who can last the distance, but Chavez Jr. will break him down and stop him. JCC Jr. by stoppage @ 2/5 isn't as good as hedging your bets. Bradley should be a little too much for Alexander, but I expect it to be a close fight with Bradley being knocked down by an uppercut. Bradley's superior defensive skills will fool Alexander, and I think that he has enough power to keep Alexander honest. Bradley by decision. Dickinson is the best from a crap field. Dodson might not deal with the weight well, so I'm picking Dickenson.

Chavez Jr. Rounds 1-6 @ 5/2 SportingBet [5 points] Chavez Jr. Rounds 7-12 @ 11/8 SportingBet [8 points] Bradley on points @ 11/10 SportingBet [10 points] Bradley/Alexander One Fighter to be KD @ 19/10 [1 point] Dickenson to win outright @ 10/3 SportingBet [4 points]
Chavez Jr./Lyell -13.00 POINTS Bradley/Alexander +10.00 POINTS Prizefighter: Light Heavyweights +13.33 POINTS -4.67 POINTS for the year so far... But optimistically, things are on the up :D

Judging by parts of your posts it seems like you haven't actually watched most of these fights. It seems very much that you are basing most of your judgement on a look at both the fighters records, which is never a good tactic. In the Alexander-Kotelnik fight the majority of people scored it to Kotelnik, it was a pure home decision. Also the Bradley-Witter fight is a fantastic win for Bradley. It was a clear win for Timmy and it was only a bit of home cookin' that reduced it to an SD. Again the NC over Nate Campbell. It was a fight in which Bradley was winning every round and was taking Campbell to school before the cut stopped it. I'm picking Bradley by decision in this one. One reason being that Timmy is one of the most adaptable fighters out there. He is so well rounded that he can beat you in 5 different ways. Whereas Alexander is very one dimensional as we seen in the Kotelnik bout where it was clear that the fight was going all wrong for him. If Alexander tries these same naive tactics against Bradley he may pick up a round or 2 but after that Timmy will adjust and come out on top. The only way I see Alexander taking this is if he can land that big money punch, like he did against Urango. Don't expect Bradley to walk on to one of those easily though. He will be well aware of Alexander's range of shots... and even if he is put down we know that his chin and survival instincts will stand him in good stead. On the topic of Bradley's flu... I don't think it was the flu. It was a cold, possibly a bad one at that. If you've got the flu, you can't train through it, which Bradley did. I've seen some footage of Bradley training and some interviews from the past couple of weeks and it doesn't look like it's something that will have a major effect on the fight. Bradley by Decision - Evens - SportingBet.
:beer +10pts.