** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Jumps Racing - Thursday 13th January

2.20 Catterick Star Beat Win @ 6/1 Bet 365 Won at Catterick last time out over 3M 2F beating Zitenka by 7 lengths. Goes up 12lb in the weights fo that race but still looks very well handicaped here. Seems to love it around Catterick having won here on his last two appearences. I am sure he can excell at todays longer trip and seems to have come on quite a bit since moving stables. Have some slight concerns about the going but over all this is out weighed by all the positive pointers.

Re: Jumps Racing - Thursday 13th January 3:40 Hereford - Lord Singer - 2pts @ 6/1 (VC) Decent hurdler who has since made the transfer to chasing when making his debut over UK fences (formerly French trained) at Sandown in November. He traveled well throughout and was only denied victory due to jumping several fences to his left on what is a right handed track. However, he jumped them like a horse who will eventually make a fine chaser and only lost out after being headed in the final run in by Pepe Simo, a mighty fine chasing prospect from the Paul Nicholls yard. A repetition of that run, minus the jumping left, would be sufficient enough to see Gary Moore's charge claim victory. Sandown is a very tough place to jump fences anyways so I'd forgive him for jumping left under pressure. Lord Singer's next assignment was a 4 runner class 4 beginners chase at Lingfield on similarly heavy ground to what he'll face today. He was sent off the 1/2 favourite, pulled hard in front early on but seemed to get into a rhythm after the first few fences, jumping alright before guessing at one and taking a very heavy fall. He hoped up unscathed and has since had nearly 2 months off the race track. I'd assume they'll have done a lot of work with him lately and have him in tip top condition to compete in what looks a very winnable race. Assuming racing goes ahead at Hereford, the ground will be extremely testing, which will be ideal for Lord Singer. He won over hurdles on ground described as "heavy" and he also came a 3l away 3rd to Aegean Dawn on very testing ground at Folkstone, on what was his hurdling debut. His race last time out was also on this going, in which he was taking along before coming to grief after the 7th, in a race he would of almost certainly won. Had he done so, he'd be much shorter than the current 11/2 that's available (I got 6's). Gary Moore's yard are in decent knick having been in the winners enclosure 5 times since the new year. He does very well when coming to Hereford as his 15% strike rate shows, that's boosted up to 33% when Jamie Moore rides. It's interesting that despite jumping left when going right handed, then being switched to a left handed course, Lord Singer now returns to go right handed once again. If he's feeling no ill-effects of that heavy fall then I think he should jump around this course well enough to put him in contention. I'd make the assumption that he's been off for 2 months to improve his jumping and he also goes exceptionally well when fresh (Won after a near identical break last year). His handicap mark of 118 doesn't look overly harsh and he has everything to suit today, with ground, trip and the likely hood that he'll get the lead all being in his favour, but even if he doesn't get the lead, there should be enough pace on for him to bowl along in behind, which would also suit based on hurdle runs. The Nicholls runner is an unknown quantity at this stage and doesn't warrant a 3/1 price tag despite his powerful connections. Some of the others are in bad form or unsuited by the going/trip and a couple of the last time out winners look like overcoming their penalties will be tough. I'd much rather side with a horse who has been progressive over hurdles and potentially decent class over fences. The form behind Pepe Simo could look very strong once that one comes out again, as it was run on good ground which wouldn't be in the favour of Gary Moore's 6 year old, plus it was run over a very tough course. Hereford is a tough enough place to jump around but the course characteristics should suit a horse who is a relentless galloper on his day and highly suited to the testing conditions. The 6/1 I took looks very good value to me, especially as I had him priced up as a 7/2 shot. This is the only horse Moore sends out today too and I feel he'll be getting a win out of him soon. Back in October, Gary Moore said that Lord Singer was "a born chaser – a big, strong, powerful horse who jumps fences well – but needs pretty heavy ground. If you could hold him up he’d be even better, but he pulls too hard so you have to let him bowl. He’s a 120 horse over hurdles and should be even better over fences." He gets his heavy ground today and I think he'll live up to the expectations that Gary has for him finally, at the third attempt. If his last line is correct, then the 118 rating shouldn't be beyond him, the rest is left to chance. Hopefully he gives his running and feels no effect from his fall last time out. I'm tempted to go in even bigger but I'll just play small/medium stakes as it's a competitive contest with many unexposed types but this is the one to be on, in my opinion.

13 Jan _ Jump Racing

SportHorse Racing
EventCatterick 13:20
SelectionGlencree (Each-way)
Strength1/10
Date13/01/2011
Bookmaker/PriceBet365 @ 0.00
ReasoningCareer form looks really good. Point to point winner, 2 wins from 4 hurdling runs. Been off the track for a while, 633 days but trainer J Howard Johnson's last win was yesterday coming from a point win last July. He also has a couple of winners coming from a fall/winter layoff. I think he will have this in top shape. He was a £230,000 Cheltenham purchase in Apr 2008. Big chance on promise over hurdles.

Re: 13 Jan _ Jump Racing

SportHorse Racing
EventCatterick 13:50
SelectionDunowen Point
Strength2/10
Date13/01/2011
ReasoningPromise in bumpers from two starts (3rd and 2nd). He comes from a very good connection of D McCain, J M Maguire and T G Leslie. It's really hard to pass this up especially with the type of race for the trainer. Leslie in Novices' Hurdle since owning three seasons ago have a 49% strike rate or 24 wins from 49. This is the only runner of the day from the trainer. Debut over jumps but Maguire knows this track very well. Today is his first meet at the track and his record here is 6 wins from 11 last year with the hurdlers winning 3 from 5.

Re: Jumps Racing - Thursday 13th January

SportHorse Racing
EventCatterick 12:50
SelectionMark Twain
Strength2/10
Date13/01/2011
ReasoningMakes his second career start over obstacles today. Decent 3rd LTO (15 days) at Newbury behind the Nicky Henderson 1-2 finishers. Previously owned by Mrs John Magnier and trained by A P O'Brien. Trainer K C Bailey usually means business when she books Jason Maguire. The combo this season have a 32% strike rate with hurdlers (6 wins from 19). Maguire with hurdlers at the track having 6 wins from 11 last year and the hurdlers winning 3 from 5.

SportHorse Racing
EventCatterick 12:50
SelectionCall To Arms
Strength2/10
Date13/01/2011
ReasoningProgressing well over hurdles. 4th on debut last October. Was much better LTO when 2nd to Marsh Warbler. The winner went on to win next time out and a Grade 1 race two races after. The selections jumping improved plenty LTO and he was just no match to the winner. There will be more building on those form and having the same jockey LTO is a good plan.

Re: Jumps Racing - Thursday 13th January 14:20 Catterick Star Beat is the one I like most in this race and today the eight year old makes the step up to 3m6f for the first time with 3m2f being the furthest trip he has tackled so far to date. I believe the step up in trip can bring out some improvement in him, especially at a course he acts well at. His form at this track reads 282411. His first win at the track came over 26 furlongs in a novice event back in March 2010 where he won confortably by 4 and a half lengths. He then appeared at this track again in his last outing 30 days ago, running out a 7 length winner in impressive fashion having been eased down towards the finish. Has faced a 12lb rise for that win but I believe he can go close again off todays mark of 116. Has not won on ground softer than good but his 2nd place finish here came in soft ground and his 4th placed finish came in good to soft ground so the ground conditions does not put me off him at all. According To Pete is likely to make the running today which will suit my selection fine in my opinion, despite making virtually all here LTO I believe running prominently in behind According To Pete will benefit him today, especially with the extra half mile to cope with. He did win here in March when racing prominently so I think Richie McGrath will be happy enough to race prominently and not get tied up in a battle for the lead in the early stages of the race. 1pt E/W Star Beat @ 6/1 (Bet365 - BOG - 1/4 odds 1,2,3)

Re: Jumps Racing - Thursday 13th January Catterick 2.20 Bay Cherry 0.75pt EW - 16/1 Appears as a type who will relish extreme stamina test and needed his run lto. Should strip fitter today. I'm not sure this 16/1 Boyle are opening their morning show at is right. His price should be more like 8s 10s for me. I think he is a progressive horse and will love today's conditions. Yard is in good form too.

Re: Jumps Racing - Thursday 13th January Catterick 3.20 Grand Award 0.75pt EW - 10/1 This fella could be well handicapped today. Still has a low mileage and his last two runs were encouraging. In his latest hurdling run he was with every chance of winning, but slipped after the last. The Twiston-Davies and Peter Bowen horses are good sorts. The former was odds on fav, the latter finished 3rd in a handicap off 102. Last time he was running on well late over fences, but blundered the last and finished 3rd. Off 100, I think he's well handicapped and after few months break, he has to be played today. Price shouldn't be any bigger than 6/1 imo.

Re: Jumps Racing - Thursday 13th January At Hereford the 1.10 is dominated by horses from the Pipe and Jonjo yards with Grey Gold being the best of those with form, his 3rd at Towcester isnt bad but he will want further than this to show his best although in this ground he may get away with it. Jonjos Valley View has been backed but hasnt shown anything in his two runs while the Pipe team send out a newcomer in Togiak who was useful on the level. At the prices Grey Gold looks the value to reach the frame on a tricky days jumping. Bet 110 Her: Grey Gold EW (7/1 VCBet)

Re: Jumps Racing - Thursday 13th January 2:20 Catterick HEEZ A STEEL 1pt EW - 25/1 (VC) Small interest for one that is pretty unexposed over these longer trips. Was last seen in May when finishing second by a neck to Gisland, rallying well towards the end of just over three miles. Alistair Findlay, the only jockey to win on the horse, claims 7lbs here. Given that he is completely unexposed over fences (three starts), runs off 121 and will appreciate the extra distance and every bit of cut in the ground, 25/1 seems quite overpriced.

Re: Jumps Racing - Thursday 13th January Hereford 3.40 Clouseau 0.5pt EW - 7/1 Interesting New Zeland import, who won his novice chase lto. His 5th behind Tito Bustillo reads well beaten only 8L on soft ground. Trainer does well with these types and in a handicap off just 117, I think he could be well treated.

Re: Jumps Racing - Thursday 13th January 14:50 Catterick Not the strongest of contests in this race but I'm going to take my chances with Wardington Lad. This will be the horses 9th attempt over hurdles today and only his 12th race to date so its fair to say he is still relatively lightly raced. Won a national hunt race on his debut way back in May 2006 and didn't win again until March 2009 when he won a class 4 handicap hurdle at Towcester off a mark of 94 (3lb claimer on board). Just the four races since with his best effort coming in his following race at Chepstow where he finished 2nd off a mark of 98 (3lb claimer on board again). Finished off the year of 2009 with a 6th placed finish and was not seen out again until the 21st of November 2010 where he was pulled up. This was his first run in around a year and a half so its fair to say he may have needed the run. Was out on the AW at Southwell LTO where he finished 5/10. Was well beaten but the run should strip him fitter for this race and I believe he has chances off today's mark of 100, especially with a 7lb claimer on board which technically has him down to his winning mark at Towcester. His win came over 20 furlongs so todays trip of 19 furlongs should be adequate for him. 0.5pts E/W Wardington Lad @ 11/1 (VC Bet - BOG - 1/4 odds 1,2,3,4)

Re: Jumps Racing - Thursday 13th January 3:40 Hereford - BATHWICK QUEST @ 18/1 e-w & CADOUDALAS @ 13/2 e-w VC This race looks abit easier than last twice as he came up against some fairly decent horses in those. Ran a decent race last time but was no match for the winner when he was 2nd 6 lengths clear of the 3rd. The testing ground here today should suit and drop back in trip doesn't look a negative, 16/1 looks too big. I like the look of CADOUDALAS also, he was impresive winner last time when dropped back to this trip when the first 2 were clear of 3rd and that was his first run after absence, sure to be better for that even though he has had another short break 13/2 looks a fair price.

Re: Jumps Racing - Thursday 13th January 12.50 catterick anaya Think this one can get amongst it in this race. Fav is too short for me. Anayas first run over hurdles was decent enough and can improve on that. The time of that race he was 3rd in was 20 sec quicker than the race mark twain was 3rd in an beaten 22.5 lengths. Going purely on times and think this one has a chance

At Hereford the 1.10 is dominated by horses from the Pipe and Jonjo yards with Grey Gold being the best of those with form, his 3rd at Towcester isnt bad but he will want further than this to show his best although in this ground he may get away with it. Jonjos Valley View has been backed but hasnt shown anything in his two runs while the Pipe team send out a newcomer in Togiak who was useful on the level. At the prices Grey Gold looks the value to reach the frame on a tricky days jumping. Bet 110 Her: Grey Gold EW (7/1 VCBet)
Easy as you like :clap