** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Tues 1.30 : Supreme Novices' Hurdle

Re: Tues 1.30 : Supreme Novices' Hurdle Hendersons leading 2 for this seem to be Spirit Son and Sprinter Sacre, and I read that Barry G and the trainer seem to be split on preference, and which one Barry should ride. I know Cue Card should win, but at 9/4 the value has gone and the race might find a springer. The one I find interesting is another one of 10 or 11 Henderson entered called Gibb River at 20/1. I've been impressed with its 3 wins, quick times, field strung out behind, but last race was only a class 3, so didn't beat much. However, the time was an easy 3.44 over 16 on G/S and carrying 11.12, which I rate as an impressive performance. What's the standard for Wincanton 2m I wonder? I'm interested in other expert opinions on this one, whether it will or won't be declared at 4 day stage, and who might ride. Would love to get Barry G's view, but I doubt he would answer my tweet? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tues 1.30 : Supreme Novices' Hurdle I've had a small bet on Hidden Universe at 26/1. It's about the price as much as the horse, and also because i'd like an interest in the race. I was wanting the price to get higher, but the trainer has spoken about him so it will only get shorter in probability. Obviously the ground was far too soft for him in the big novices race in ireland last week. However he did travel well has a good reputation with some obvious ability/potential. He was well positioned in the race, and would have finished a lot stronger with his ground. The favourite is something like 5/2 which isn't much use for me at this stage for this kind of bet. If he runs i'd be quitely confident of a good run.

Re: Tues 1.30 : Supreme Novices' Hurdle The more I think about this race the more I can't see past Cue Card In case you didn't know Paddy Power are refunding losing stakes if Cue Card wins, like they did on Dunguib last year so if you want to oppose him then bet with PP! EDIT - missed the post above myself :) Sorry!!

Re: Tues 1.30 : Supreme Novices' Hurdle

Hendersons leading 2 for this seem to be Spirit Son and Sprinter Sacre, and I read that Barry G and the trainer seem to be split on preference, and which one Barry should ride. I know Cue Card should win, but at 9/4 the value has gone and the race might find a springer. The one I find interesting is another one of 10 or 11 Henderson entered called Gibb River at 20/1. I've been impressed with its 3 wins, quick times, field strung out behind, but last race was only a class 3, so didn't beat much. However, the time was an easy 3.44 over 16 on G/S and carrying 11.12, which I rate as an impressive performance. What's the standard for Wincanton 2m I wonder? I'm interested in other expert opinions on this one, whether it will or won't be declared at 4 day stage, and who might ride. Would love to get Barry G's view, but I doubt he would answer my tweet? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Gibb River is interesting, you make a good case. Wincanton is one of the fastest tracks around, but would be interesting to get an average time. Finding the median of 20 times on g/s over course and distance should do the trick. / Fascinating trying to separate the Henderson runners. I know Henderson said Barry thinks the world of Sprinter Sacre, but I think they're really waiting for a novice chasing campaign. My hunch is he has a quicker turn of foot than Spirit Son. Then again, never seen Spirit Son off the bridle in England. Nicky Henderson has been impressed by Spirit Son's professionalism, and he seems to be rating the two of them through Paul Nicholls. Sprinter beat Polisky last time at Ascot, while Spirit Son beat Cedre Bleu in a Listed hurdle at Exeter on heavy. Nicholls rates Cedre Bleu as better right now (previous winner) and the horse likes soft conditions, but Spirit Son absolutely battered him despite giving away 12lbs. Both Geraghty and Henderson thought Spirit Son would improve for better ground. Frightening thought really. I can see both travelling well into the home straight with Cue Card.

Re: Tues 1.30 : Supreme Novices' Hurdle Cue card is the horse to beat but is short enough , i fancy Al ferof to run a decent race from the front at 16-1 , he finished second to cue card in last years bumper and will give you a run for your money if he stands up , he fell at cheltenham a few runs back when he would have won , think he is value and nicholls loves a big price winner , hot race with the irish runners and henderson runners , should be a great race . My heart wants to see Cue card win cos backed Menorah for the champion, Great looking horse Cue card and gutted Hells bay got injured for the Jewson and the tizzards, the stable is in good form so going to take a good horse to beat him i feel . :)

Re: Tues 1.30 : Supreme Novices' Hurdle This is a race the Irish love to win - it will be interesting to see which Irish horse will make the frame and even win . Although to be honest I do believe Cue Card has a good chance this year but the Favourites do get beaten in this race. I would not dismiss Hendersons horses as his stable seem hot this year.

Re: Tues 1.30 : Supreme Novices' Hurdle Yep Jimmy if all goes to plan Cue card will be finishing strong like last year , different race this year , stronger in depth , but for sure Cue card is a worthy fav , won the bumper like a top horse and done nothing wrong over hurdles , beaten by the this years champion hurdle winner in waitng Menorah , how bout doubling them up in a double ?

Yep Jimmy if all goes to plan Cue card will be finishing strong like last year ' date=' different race this year , stronger in depth , but for sure Cue card is a worthy fav , won the bumper like a top horse and done nothing wrong over hurdles , beaten by the this years champion hurdle winner in waitng Menorah , how bout doubling them up in a double ?[/quote'] I fancy Menorah aswell fella. The big field and strong pace will be right up Cue Card's Street, he might not beat them, he could destroy them.

Re: Tues 1.30 : Supreme Novices' Hurdle Yes jimmy mate if Cue card wins like he did last year it makes Menorah a hard horse to beat in the champion .. Cue card did win well impressive last year and i think he travelled stronlg against Menorah when beaten , that Silviniaco conti ran crap at wincanton , i thought hed win that and there was loads of dough on him that day, he let the form down a bit, run like he was doped and no stewards or anything ?

Yes jimmy mate if Cue card wins like he did last year it makes Menorah a hard horse to beat in the champion .. Cue card did win well impressive last year and i think he travelled stronlg against Menorah when beaten ' date=' that Silviniaco conti ran crap at wincanton , i thought hed win that and there was loads of dough on him that day, he let the form down a bit, run like he was doped and no stewards or anything ?[/quote'] I was on Sil conti that day and lost a few bob, Colin Tizzard has not hid the fact that before that race with Menorah Cue Card missed 9 days work due to the weather, they are all allowed off days, apart from that Menorah is a year older than Cue Card, so for a horse to have missed 9 days work and be a year younger than menorah i think he ran a cracker. I agree 100% with Ginge, Cue card could be the best Novice we have seen in a very long time. Colin Tizzard is a very honest man and knows what horse they have, he said a few weeks ago ''They have one hell of a horse'' I simply cant wait for this Race.

Re: Tues 1.30 : Supreme Novices' Hurdle Yep agree jim he could be very good , i think Joe should not be too far back as i remember Danguib in the supreme and they do go fast , i like good horses who travel well in their races to be not too far back in large fields, so many jockeys give good horses with loads of ability too much to do , if Cue card isnt too far back on tues id kick on with him 2 out let him go , he stays up that hill , Your right strong gallop suits him down to the ground . Me too cant wait for TUESDAY , i like the first day best of all . GOOD LUCK mate .

Re: Tues 1.30 : Supreme Novices' Hurdle hate to rain on Cue Card's parade but.....has anyone considered how the bumper horses run in the Supreme? I will post up in the next few days with my trends for this race. CC also last ran in December, another negative for me. I go by the stats for Chelts, and there are enough positives for me to cover at least 3 others in the field rather than the fav.

Re: Tues 1.30 : Supreme Novices' Hurdle Agree with Bowles as per my thread on the main board. Long lay off's not great for the trends. Cue card still on the shortlist though as u all rightly say he could be very special Al ferof, so young must have chances but a lot will depend on the ground

Re: Tues 1.30 : Supreme Novices' Hurdle Amazing so many fancy Cue Card. I am always very wary of a horse who finds nothing off the bridle when it comes to the Festival as the chances you are going to win withoutat least one or two challenging you are very remote. You have to look at the facts here. There was one who did run behind him that won some Mickey Mouse race but as for the rest they have alll finished nearer last than first on their reappearance. All we have to go on is he won 2 very good bumpers and fiished a well beaten 2nd to Menorah. The fact he was tanking throught the race is all well and fine but the truth is when it came to the business end he found absolutely nothing. The bad winter has meant a few of these were stablebound and may have missed an additional outing. As a result we know very little of what they a rereally capable of. Take alookback at the last 2 runnings of the Supreme and you will get an idea what to expect on Tuesday. Last year, Dunguib, a far more experienced horse over hurdles and most likley a better bumper horse that Cue Card found two too good for him. The year before Binocular came a cropper at the hands of Captian Cee Bee. You may think the International hurder was a better race than this but far from it. Very few mid season hurdle races can be compared to the Festival as ever single horse turns up fit as a flea and trying for it's life. While the winner may or may not be as good as Menorah the chances of Cue card being put under pressure are much greater. The Henderson pair look exceptional and Recession Proof looks certain to give them all a race. Zaidpour is another who we can expect much more from and then there's the others and any one of them could improve leaps and bounds. The most likely winner for me is Spirit Son as this race looks taylormade for him. BG has ridden him both times with Cheltenham in mind and I expect him to hit the front at the top of the hill and take the race by the scruff of te neck. I fully expect Cue card to fold gain under pressure and make Reccesion Proof the biggest danger.

Re: Tues 1.30 : Supreme Novices' Hurdle The more I think about the race the less confident I am about Cue Card, but he has the proven form. The horses in the race are impoving but at 10s I am happy to let it ride. Looking at the race now I wouldn't back CC at the current price

Re: Tues 1.30 : Supreme Novices' Hurdle Dunguib a better jumper than Cue Card ???? I think you should look back at Dunguibs jumping last year - I was all for Dunguib last year I was riding the Tide with everyone else and It was pointed out to me that his jumping was his weak area - This proved right on the day watch the race from last year and you can see Dunguib loose ground with his jumping. He gained ground when on the flat and up the hill. He may have jumped better in his last race this year but it was definetly his weakness last year. Cue Card's jumping was great his last 2 runs his jumping was pointed out to me again and I looked at the videos and he is fast and efficient - that is what you want in these types of races. Menorah beat him in a good race - Menorah is more experienced a year older. I honestly think Cue Card stands a better chance than Dunguib in this Supreme and the Irish contingency are not the talking horses this year. Henderson's horses are the threat but to many question marks about most of the field this year.

I can't be having Cue Card' date=' too long off the track and I like my runners to come here off the back of a win.[/quote'] So you would rather he won his last race in a weak novice race or a second behind a CH leading fancy? The lay off is a slight concern though for me too

Re: Tues 1.30 : Supreme Novices' Hurdle If Cue Card hits the front and they cant catch him, the roof will come off from all the Anti post punters. PaddyPower will make a run for the exit signs and every punter on this site will say out loud.......should have stuck with Cue Card, Man oh man that was special. Now what price is he for the 2012 Champion Hurdle ?