** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

2011 Stars/888 was cash now STT challenge.

staffy

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 2011 Stars cash challenge

Where do I find my ev that you talk about all the time. Is that recorded anywhere on tracker.
Sorry I cannot remember how to use PT3 at all :$ Can you see an all in ev graph? That may be easiest way.

Re: 2011 Stars cash challenge Hope you had a good session hope you won some. I lost $18 in 332 hands on NL10 stacking off with almost $8 in big blind called with ace 7 after small blind raised came 7 4 3 rainbow I check call then the ace hits turn I check shove of course he flopped the nuts. Also lost a big pot with AKhearts into A9spades preflop :wall onwards and upwards

Re: 2011 Stars cash challenge I did ok last night. I played 128 hands and won $3.16 so cant complain at that. I have played 413 hands now in total for a profit of $1.55 which at the end of the day shows a bb of 3.75 so better than I was doing before.

So you've said you'll learn from that hand - how would you play it if you faced the same hand again? (not trying to put you on the spot - I want to understand what you've understood from reviewing that hand) Also, I struggle to beat these games (Full Ring Cash at any stakes), so definitely dont accept what I say as gospel!
I'll give my view then ;) :tongue2 I think you should be playing that hand mostly for set value, so good to see a flop cheaply. When 3 undercards come on the flop, I probably put some money in, but still keep the pot on the small side. The Ace on the Turn removes any risk of stacking off.

Re: 2011 Stars cash challenge Sorry Trev didnt see your post. I had something similar the other day. Had KK against similar player. I reraised his 3 bet and he reraised me putting me all in and I folded. I think it depends now on the position and the players stats in all honesty.

I had something similar the other day. Had KK against similar player. I reraised his 3 bet and he reraised me putting me all in and I folded.
Wow - I'm not sure if I can ever fold KK pre flop! I think I'm probably always happy to get it all in pre flop with KK. I know there was some argument for folding QQ pre flop in a previous hand, but there's quite a big gap in the strength of QQ and KK. There is no comparison between KK and 77.

Wow - I'm not sure if I can ever fold KK pre flop! I think I'm probably always happy to get it all in pre flop with KK. I know there was some argument for folding QQ pre flop in a previous hand, but there's quite a big gap in the strength of QQ and KK. There is no comparison between KK and 77.
His stats were something like 7% PFR from around 50 hands. I was happy to let it go.

Re: 2011 Stars cash challenge Please with tonights play and result. My actual profit = my EV which must be a good sign. 222 hands played for a profit of $6.70. Total hands played is now 635 for a profit of $8.25. That makes the BB/100 of 12.99 which I am very pleased with.

Please with tonights play and result. My actual profit = my EV which must be a good sign.
The difference between your actual and you ev is not something you can have any control over - and it doesn't mean anything about your game or your play (positive or negative) which way it goes. (actually, you can do things to reduce the difference, but it will usually be at the expense of profit - so it's not worth bothering with, especially at these stakes)
222 hands played for a profit of $6.70. Total hands played is now 635 for a profit of $8.25. That makes the BB/100 of 12.99 which I am very pleased with.
And so you should be - well done :ok

Re: 2011 Stars cash challenge A good start. Interstingly this shows as -EV but when the money goes in I am ahead so I am not sure why EV should matter so much. PokerStars Game #60201327008: Hold'em No Limit ($0.02/$0.05 USD) - 2011/04/02 9:29:14 WET [2011/04/02 4:29:14 ET] Table 'Golson IV' 9-max Seat #4 is the button Seat 2: PANVLAD ($5.47 in chips) Seat 3: JoLinco ($1.79 in chips) Seat 4: tanatosr ($1.61 in chips) Seat 5: alllan_88 ($4.40 in chips) Seat 6: staffyPL ($5 in chips) Seat 8: AndrewAndree ($2.09 in chips) Seat 9: AYTSaag ($2.14 in chips) alllan_88: posts small blind $0.02 staffyPL: posts big blind $0.05 Hanokano: sits out *** HOLE CARDS *** Dealt to staffyPL [Ac Jc] AndrewAndree: folds AYTSaag: folds PANVLAD: folds JoLinco: calls $0.05 tanatosr: calls $0.05 alllan_88: raises $0.20 to $0.25 staffyPL: calls $0.20 JoLinco: folds tanatosr: calls $0.20 *** FLOP *** [Jd As 5d] alllan_88: checks staffyPL: bets $0.80 tanatosr: raises $0.56 to $1.36 and is all-in alllan_88: folds staffyPL: calls $0.56 *** TURN *** [Jd As 5d] [4c] *** RIVER *** [Jd As 5d 4c] [Ah] *** SHOW DOWN *** staffyPL: shows [Ac Jc] (a full house, Aces full of Jacks) tanatosr: shows [Ad Qd] (three of a kind, Aces) staffyPL collected $3.35 from pot *** SUMMARY *** Total pot $3.52 | Rake $0.17 Board [Jd As 5d 4c Ah] Seat 2: PANVLAD folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 3: JoLinco folded before Flop Seat 4: tanatosr (button) showed [Ad Qd] and lost with three of a kind, Aces Seat 5: alllan_88 (small blind) folded on the Flop Seat 6: staffyPL (big blind) showed [Ac Jc] and won ($3.35) with a full house, Aces full of Jacks Seat 8: AndrewAndree folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 9: AYTSaag folded before Flop (didn't bet)

A good start. Interstingly this shows as -EV but when the money goes in I am ahead so I am not sure why EV should matter so much.
It's definitely not negative ev. You are 55% when the money goes in. That is a +ev expectation. Where you may be confusing it, is that your all in ev is lower than your actual winnings. As it should be. In this sample (of 1) you have won 100% of the time. That means that you are "running good" because you should only be winning 55% of the time. You "got lucky" because you have won more often than you should expect (100% actual v 55% expected). Concentrating on your all in ev instead of your actual winnings will "smooth" your results - on this occasion it will show lower than your actual winnings. However on the 45% of occasions where your sample of 1 is a loss (showing 0% wins when it should be 55%), then your all in ev will be higher than your actual winnings. Over time, your all in ev and your actual winnings will move proportionately closer together (basically ending up in the same place) - there will be no difference between them. In the short term however, it will reduce your swings and help with the "emotional discipline" that is absolutely essential to your success in poker.

Re: 2011 Stars cash challenge Lots of hands in the last session but a losing session. 323 hands for a loss of $3.41 Overall 1005 hands played for a profit of $9.88 which makes a 9.83 BB/100 which I am more than happy with.

Does it matter that my all in EV is less than $1?
If your actual profit is $9 and your all in EV is $1, then it means you've got lucky and you're not beating the game by as much as you think you are. You should consider $1 to be your real profit and ignore your actual winnings (IMO)

Re: 2011 Stars cash challenge This is where I wont agree with you. I won a decent pot with AJ against AQ but got the money in ahead on the flop with AJ on the flop. Anything else on the flop I fold. Its more important IMO to be ahead when the money goes in as apposed to have the best starting hand.