** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11

kevshat

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11

A session bet for me for the afternoon session. 4pts Day 3 Session 2 Runs - Over 122.5 17/20 William Hill England begin this session on 449/3 on a pitch which is showing nothing for the quick bowlers who look a tired lot. Ricky Ponting's body language is that of a man who knows his attack isn't even 20% good enough, particularly on a good wicket like this. Kevin Pietersen is really filling his boots and Paul Collingwood has serenely gone on to 40. Both players can flick the switch to really attack and when the do that runs will come quickly here. I'd expect England from here to look to pick up the pace a little bit to set up a declaration not long after tea. If we can possibly get up to a 350-400 lead then that restricts the possibility of Australia making us bat again. England scored 132 runs in the 1st session without really playing a risky shot. They scored lots of boundaries but that was courtesy of poor bowling, a trait I would expect to continue here in this session. The wicket is turning now but when Doherty's the main spinner that isn't going to be an issue for this England side. Wickets may fall in this session but I'm certain runs will come too so I'm happy to be on over 122.5 runs in this session.
Only 102 runs in the session. Annoying session really. Losing Collingwood straight away didn't help but we never really put our foot down which didn't make sense to me. Hopefully Swann can come in and put me in profit for this test as far as this thread is concerned.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody rain. Im resorting to sending KP a message on his twitter page to bat for 10 minutes in the morning. 10 poxxy runs.
So sick. I hope and prey they decide to bat on for the first hour tomorrow and the weather holds . So sick.

So sick. I hope and prey they decide to bat on for the first hour tomorrow and the weather holds . So sick.
Hope the bet comes in for you guys. However, why would they bat on? 300 ahead, 2 days to go.....I'd have thought they'd want to have a bowl straight away if there's any more threat of rain:unsure

Hope the bet comes in for you guys. However' date=' why would they bat on? 300 ahead, 2 days to go.....I'd have thought they'd want to have a bowl straight away if there's any more threat of rain:unsure[/quote'] Assuming the weather is ok to start tonight, there could be a couple of reasons why the carry on: i. Its not beyond the realms of possibility that England lose from here. 4 years ago in similar position England somehow managed to lose after being bowled out cheap on day 5. A quick fire 50-70 puts them out of reach (not exactly the same scenario as England have a big lead this time). ii. England's currents score is exactly the same as it was 4 years ago when they declared and went on to lose. In reality I'm clutching im clutching at straws and if the weather is bad then England will probably declare.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11 Rain is forecast for late in the day. I can see (not hope!) Strauss letting Bell and KP go nuts with the bat for 10 Overs. Lead of 350. I think it may give Straus a bit of time to just to see what the movement is like on the pitch.

Rain is forecast for late in the day. I can see (not hope!) Strauss letting Bell and KP go nuts with the bat for 10 Overs. Lead of 350. I think it may give Straus a bit of time to just to see what the movement is like on the pitch.
Hope you're right. I have a fair chunk on the overs. I actually think they will bat for a while as well (hoping as well!).

Rain is forecast for late in the day. I can see (not hope!) Strauss letting Bell and KP go nuts with the bat for 10 Overs. Lead of 350. I think it may give Straus a bit of time to just to see what the movement is like on the pitch.
The roller is on which suggest England will bat on. Blue skies. Hope im right!
Would suggest so, hope you're right! Been doing my head in all night and day. England win drifted by .08 or so as well perhaps indicating they will bat on (or its raining!)

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11 Will be interesting to see what the odds are on Katich to be 1st Man Out will be. Getting that ball at third man showed that he can't even walk that well. If he needs a runner, only going to cause more problems..

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11 Thank fcuk for that declaration. Price went from 1.87 to 1.79 just with that decision. On Engand @ 1.91 to win the test and layed the Aussies to win the series @ 2.54 as i stated in ther banter thread, so with the prospect of some dodgy weather it's another all night job for me incase i have to trade. Its a tough life :) Massive couple of days coming up, so lets hope the rain stays away and England can take a couple of early wickets here.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11 2pts - Overs at Fall of First Wicket - Under 13.5 @ 1.83 First bet of the day for me. We've already seen that Watson is not content with just blocking and prodding this morning having already seen a thick edge and a streaky flash through the gap at gully. I'm pretty sure Anderson and Broad are going to continue to tempt him with the drive and bowl wide outside off stump for him. Anderson is getting a tiny bit of lateral movement too which I'm sure he'll relish so I'm hoping he'll get a breakthrough early on. Still not 100% convinced on Katich too. As I write this, I have 9 overs for this to come in. :hope

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11 Another session bet for me. 3pts Day 4 Session 2 Runs - Under 85.5 5/6 Blue Square This looks like a nice line to me and I'm happy to be on the under side of it. Australia go into this session 78/0 after 25 overs of their innings but importantly in terms of the under, they've only scored 26 of those runs in the last 10 overs, 9 of which came in the final over before lunch. A lot of that is to do with Graeme Swann who is making the ball talk and I think he'll be very tough to face in this session with the wicket starting to turn now. Any wickets which fall will help as starting against spin on this wicket isn't going to be easy at all. While Simon Katich is in the run rate will be lower than it normally would because he's hardly able to move at the minute. Anderson and Broad are bowling fairly well and scoring won't be easy off them either. There's still the threat of a shower which would curtail the session should it arrive so there's plenty on the side of the under including my cash.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11 Went in on England again @ 2.68 which means i'm now effectively on them at pretty much 6/4. Don't like talking money but i now have what many would earn in a week riding on this game. With England now 2.98/3.00 at lunch im not to happy with the current situation especially because of the luck that can be involved with regards to the weather. Looking for a bit of advice really(not with regards to trading) from people with more knowledge of the game than myself. One question i would have and it may be not that simple to explain is, were England to take a wicket in say the first 3 or 4 overs of the afternoon session, what price do you think they would roughly drop to? Also, we know there is definately wickets there for the taking but without anyone being biased, how many wickets do you think England can take reallisticaly take today or is that to tough a question to answer? I'll let it ride for the moment hoping for an early wicket, but i want to trade and lessen my liability at some point :hope

Went in on England again @ 2.68 which means i'm now effectively on them at pretty much 6/4. Don't like talking money but i now have what many would earn in a week riding on this game. With England now 2.98/3.00 at lunch im not to happy with the current situation especially because of the luck that can be involved with regards to the weather. Looking for a bit of advice really(not with regards to trading) from people with more knowledge of the game than myself. One question i would have and it may be not that simple to explain is, were England to take a wicket in say the first 3 or 4 overs of the afternoon session, what price do you think they would roughly drop to? Also, we know there is definately wickets there for the taking but without anyone being biased, how many wickets do you think England can take reallisticaly take today or is that to tough a question to answer? I'll let it ride for the moment hoping for an early wicket, but i want to trade and lessen my liability at some point :hope
As I've said above mate it won't be easy to face a spinner when you come in on this wicket. I also alluded in my rant about England batting on that Australia only have two batsmen in form. They have a really long tail. If we've got 5 wickets by the close then we'll be in a decent enough position. We would only need another 35-40 overs tomorrow then to guarantee wrapping it up. I wouldn't be too concerned just yet :ok.

Went in on England again @ 2.68 which means i'm now effectively on them at pretty much 6/4. Don't like talking money but i now have what many would earn in a week riding on this game. With England now 2.98/3.00 at lunch im not to happy with the current situation especially because of the luck that can be involved with regards to the weather. Looking for a bit of advice really(not with regards to trading) from people with more knowledge of the game than myself. One question i would have and it may be not that simple to explain is, were England to take a wicket in say the first 3 or 4 overs of the afternoon session, what price do you think they would roughly drop to? Also, we know there is definately wickets there for the taking but without anyone being biased, how many wickets do you think England can take reallisticaly take today or is that to tough a question to answer? I'll let it ride for the moment hoping for an early wicket, but i want to trade and lessen my liability at some point :hope
I am on England heavy, very heavy. The market has overshot the auss position imo; 3.5-1 England win/1.42 draw. Trading value for sure. In terms of possible scenarios, I see it going either: a) The openers continue to have the rub of the green and find a way to stay there for the next 60-90 mins. If this happens I expect the draw to come into 1.30ish or so with England going out to 5ish. b) England get a quick wicket which could well lead to 2-3 quick wickets. If this happens then the market will overshoot the other way. Aussies have a long tail with the last 4 batsman likel to not hang around for long. Its probably 50/50% for me.

As I've said above mate it won't be easy to face a spinner when you come in on this wicket. I also alluded in my rant about England batting on that Australia only have two batsmen in form. They have a really long tail. If we've got 5 wickets by the close then we'll be in a decent enough position. We would only need another 35-40 overs tomorrow then to guarantee wrapping it up. I wouldn't be too concerned just yet :ok.
Thanks for the quick reply Kev. Agree with everything you say, it's just the weather i'm worried about and with me going in again for more than i'm comfortable with. 1st wicket gone as i type, get fckin in there:nana

I am on England heavy, very heavy. The market has overshot the auss position imo; 3.5-1 England win/1.42 draw. Trading value for sure. In terms of possible scenarios, I see it going either: a) The openers continue to have the rub of the green and find a way to stay there for the next 60-90 mins. If this happens I expect the draw to come into 1.30ish or so with England going out to 5ish. b) England get a quick wicket which could well lead to 2-3 quick wickets. If this happens then the market will overshoot the other way. Aussies have a long tail with the last 4 batsman likel to not hang around for long. Its probably 50/50% for me.
Cheers Manuel, hopefully this will be the case and we will be laughing. Crucial session, but i have a good feeling about it :hope

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11 Broon and Manuel I wish you the best of luck on your punts. Personally I dont think you have a great deal to be concerned about at the moment. We saw on the first day of this test and in the 1st test itself that this Australian batting line up isn't the greatest and the England bowling attack definitely has enough in their armoury to get ten wickets before stumps tomorow. I don't know if you were watching earlier today when Bumble got the third eye graphic about the current Australian tail too. It doesn't speak volumes. My fingers are crossed for you both. I know its early but Kev your session runs shout sounds like a good one. Four consecutive maidens to start this session and Swann is making this ball chat. GL all.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11 Guys, I don't mean to be a killjoy but can we use the livescore thread for the in-running comments please. I'm happy for the in play betting discussion to be in here but the "get in" type comments just clutter the thread up. Ta :ok.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11 Cheers Bigmac :ok Just to clarify, it's not the Aussies i was ever worried about, it was the prospect of rain, and me perhaps going in again a bit too heavy considering the gods could scupper my bet, hence the reason i won't be missing a ball. Just saw your post Kev, No worries :ok

That session bet is a bit touch and go because for some reason England haven't played a shot in anger in this session. One more when England come to bowl. 4pts G.Swann Top England 2nd Inns Bowler 11/8 Blue Square Graeme Swann is already odds on with the other two firms who are offering this market and it's not hard to see why. Generally spinners come into their own in the 2nd innings here and I fully expect Swann to be our biggest danger, especially against a batting lineup which doesn't play spin brilliantly. We've seen Marcus North turn the ball right past the right handers of which Australia have 3 in their top 4 but when the left handers come in Swann's eyes really light up. But for Anderson's early burst in the 1st innings Swann would have won this market then. There will be some indifferent bounce around for the quicks but a lot of that which we've seen so far has been wide of the off stump. With the heat and humidity Swann will get through lots of work so that we can rotate the seamers so at 11/8 I'm happy to take the Nottinghamshire off spinner to take the most wickets when England bowl 2nd time around.
In it comes :clap Swann takes his 4th and with only 1 wkt left neither Anderson or Finn on 2 can catch him.