** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11

kevshat

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11

Gonna hit the correct score market. Only small but I think these are both overpriced. 1pt England to win The Ashes 4-0 40/1 Totesport 1pt England to win The Ashes 4-1 33/1 Totesport As I said above, I'm really hot on England's chances in this series. I don't think we'll see too many draws. I think the series will be played in bowler friendly conditions and that's where I see England having a major advantage. I just can't have this Australia bowling attack. It's crap. I'm not convinced by Ponting as a captain either. I never have been and probably never will be. Sure he's got a good record but if I had Warne and McGrath at my disposal I'd fancy my chances of a good record too. Since Warne and McGrath have retired Australia have looked normal and that's no huge surprise. I don't believe Ponting has the ability to turn a match around when it's going against him. He had no answer to the likes of Swann and Broad when they were teeing off over here last summer and he couldn't even shift Monty and Anderson at times either. I look at this bowling attack and as an Englishman there's nothing to fear. Hilfenhaus can move it but English batsmen play bowlers who can move it all the time. Bollinger's angle is his strength and that's it really. As for the spin well it's an insult to the likes of Warne and Macgill this lot. Smith's around arguably because he can bat as much as he can bowl and Doherty would never have got a look in with his record. You've got to think he's there for KP rather than his record. England have a perfect bowling attack. It covers all angles and they are fresh after missing Hobart. In Graeme Swann we have the key man but on seamer friendly wickets the likes of Broad and Finn will thrive. As I say, I don't expect many draws. As well as having a shit bowling attack, Australia have major problems with their batting. Most of it is out of form or carrying injuries and part of the pressure they feel is because if they do fail they can no longer rely on McGrath and Warne to skittle the opposition and get the batsmen out of trouble. England's batsmen have all found runs on this tour so I expect England to win the series and I really do like the ruthless streak to this England outfit. I think we can go there and dominate the majority of the test matches and for the reason I'm happy to take the 4-0 and 4-1 scorelines. I really do think this bowling attack has the Aussies number and I would not be at all surprised if Australia crack under the serious pressure which is mounting on them. This really could be England's greatest ever Ashes victory.
Ive taken them and the 3-1 @ 10/1 Bet365 :ok Kev whats your thoughts on England Top Bowler for the test/series? Thanks.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't find any match bets?!?!?
They are back up on the Tote website ;). Wales, will come to that in a bit mate. 4 batsmen runs bets. All 4 need the player in question to play 3 tests for the bet to stand. 4pts S.Katich's Series Runs - Under 370 5/6 Bet365 Simon Katich is another one of the Australia batsmen to come into this series under a bit of an injury cloud. It's more likely he'll play the 5 matches but I still think this line is a bit high given the grip I think the bowlers will have on this series. There's no doubt Katich at his best will push this line but even then he's not a certainty to go over it. If Australia bat 10 times in the series he still needs to average 37 which won't be easy in tricky conditions. England's bowlers generally bowl well at left handers which would be a boost to the unders as would any matches Katich may be forced to miss. Katich didn't score all that well in India and his form since he's been back hasn't pulled up any trees either. In a series like this, it will take more than one score and bit and pieces around it to get up to this total so I think it's a good line to go under. 4pts M.Johnson's Series Runs - 145&Over 5/6 Bet365 Mitchell Johnson is a rarity. He's an Aussie in decent nick with the bat :loon. He scored a ton in his last match for Western Australia and has that ability to score a few annoying runs down the order and he can be a big hitter of a cricket ball. This line looks low to me. If he can put together something near a half century at some point in the series, and his aggressive style can lead to a few streaky edges so that's perfectly possible, then he can edge up to this total with 10's and 20s. However I reckon he'll have a big innings in this series. He's certainly good enough with the bat. South Africa saw what he can do with the bat and so I think this line is very much there to be cleared. 3pts A.Cook's Series Runs - Over 291.5 5/6 William Hill This line looks very low in comparison to the other 3 openers in the series. Whether that's because of the belief Cook is under pressure or not I'm not sure but I think his place is very safe in this side now, especially with the next opener on the rank, Michael Carberry, not able to be in Australia through injury. I'm a big Cook fan and I think he'll go well in this series. There is nothing at all in this Australia bowling attack he needs to fear and the pace and bounce of the wickets in Australia will suit him perfectly. Unlike Katich, if Cook was to score a ton in this series, he will be able to get up to this line through bits and pieces scores. I expect Cook to score heavier than that though which means I see him clearing this total. 3pts R.Ponting's Series Runs - Under 400 5/6 Bet365 This is a bit more risky than the 3 above but I do think this line looks a bit high, especially if the series does play out to favour the bowlers. England are confident they've found a technical flaw in Ponting so it will interesting to see how that works out. Ricky Ponting's form in terms of hitting hundreds isn't all that crash hot in recent times. He's only hit 6 test 100's since Warne and McGrath retired 4 years ago and if he's to cover a total of 400 he's going to have to hit one if not two centuries in this series. England's quicks move the ball around so they may be able to snaffle him early a few times in this series. The further Australia go behind in this series the more pressure Ponting will come under from Aussie people and their media. That's going to effect his batting for certain. This line just looks a bit on the high side so I'm happy to go under.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11 Cannot wait. :dude Just the one bet for me so far a that is England to win the ashes, took a price a couple of months ago that is long gone now. I actually think we are better than them in every single department, bowling and fielding wise we are far superior and for the first time since I was born we go down under with a spinner than is better than theirs. I fancy 3-1 England and I will be getting involved throughout the series, it's going to be a great one. Can anyone ever remember us lot brimming with so much confidence before an ashes series away from home?

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11 One more series total bet. 3pts S.Finn's Total Series Wickets - Over 11.5 10/11 Boylesports Once again Finn will need to play 3 tests for this to be an official bet. I think this total is very low for a very talented bowler. Ok he may not play all 5 matches if England decide to play 2 spinners in Adelaide and/or Sydney but I think he'll play enough to bag 12 victims. Finn's line and length will give the Aussies a few problems in this series, especially on some of the green wickets which are being touted around. He could well bag at least half of these at Brisbane. He gives the batsmen no peace at all and he's bowling very well in international cricket. As I said he gives the batsmen very little and that's perfect because the Aussie top 7 all like to get on with it. His bounce really will be a problem and I think he'll bag 12 wickets in the series off the back of that.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11 Final 3 outrights for me. All feature around Stuart Broad. 5pts S.Broad to beat D.Bollinger - Series Wickets Bet 8/11 Paddy Power 2pts S.Broad Top England Series Bowler 7/2 Betfred 1pt S.Broad Player of the Series 16/1 Blue Square I like Stuart Broad in this series and I think he'll go very well. It could be said England won the Ashes last year because of him and that wonderful spell on the Friday afternoon at The Oval where he took out the entire middle order. His pace, bounce and even the ability to swing the ball both ways makes him a dangerous customer here. Given that Dougie Bollinger hasn't been included in the 1st test barring a late injury, Broad immediately has an advantage on him. In fact, given the likelihood of Broad wickets on a green top in Brisbane, that's almost 8/11 for Bollinger to play the required 3 tests because I'm sure a steady supply of wickets will come through Broad throughout the series. Graeme Swann is without doubt the favourite for the top bowler market but he's not a certainty to go well on the greener wickets and if we get to Sydney and that's green as well his impact could be limited. The general consensus is that Anderson isn't effective when it stops swinging. I'm not sure I agree on that but I do think Broad is more potent when the ball isn't swinging. Steve Finn's obviously a challenger but you'd think he would be the one to make way should England want to play a couple of spinners at any time. If Broad does land the top England bowler gong then he'll be a long way to being the man of the series should England win the series. Even if he doesn't quite win that gong his batting cameos and the odd lengthy innings he's more than capable of could promote him above any bowler that beats him. I expect Stuart Broad to go very well in this series and I think these are 3 bets which he could well land over the next 6 weeks.

They are back up on the Tote website ;).
Actually managed to get mine on via text message a few minutes after posting! :dude
One more series total bet. 3pts S.Finn's Total Series Wickets - Over 11.5 10/11 Boylesports Once again Finn will need to play 3 tests for this to be an official bet. I think this total is very low for a very talented bowler. Ok he may not play all 5 matches if England decide to play 2 spinners in Adelaide and/or Sydney but I think he'll play enough to bag 12 victims. Finn's line and length will give the Aussies a few problems in this series, especially on some of the green wickets which are being touted around. He could well bag at least half of these at Brisbane. He gives the batsmen no peace at all and he's bowling very well in international cricket. As I said he gives the batsmen very little and that's perfect because the Aussie top 7 all like to get on with it. His bounce really will be a problem and I think he'll bag 12 wickets in the series off the back of that.
Any danger of Bresnan or Tremlett playing instead of Finn? From what i've read Tremlett had a good showing in warm-up matches?

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11 Just the one from me for now, will post up a few more in the next couple of ]=]hours. 2pts - Shane Watson top Australia batsman - 4/1 (Ladbrokes but widely available elsewhere) Nothing too flash about this pick but its fair to say Watson has improved a great deal as a batsman over the last 12 months or so and I fancy him to have a big series with the bat. England's strategy with the ball is usually short of a length however Watson is an excellent puller/hooker so England will need to re think their strategy against him or he will make merry. If Anderson swings it, he may be in trouble but I'm not convinced of Anderson's credentials in Australia. Obviously Watson will face tough competition from the likes of Ponting and co but their form has been iffy. Overrall I fancy Watson with his mix of attack and defence to come out on top of the run scoring charts for Australia.

Any danger of Bresnan or Tremlett playing instead of Finn? From what i've read Tremlett had a good showing in warm-up matches?
Bresnan certainly won't play instead of him. Tremlett would be his replacement but that won't happen barring injury until at least the 3rd test and even then Finn would have to be totally ineffective for it to happen.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11 A little speculative one; 1pt - England to win first test and LOSE the series - 10/1 (bet365) 1pt - Australia to win first test and LOSE the series - 13/1 (bet365) I'm not entirely convinced which way this series will pan out, England should probably win it but I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen Australia win when they've been written off. What I do think this series will be is a rollercoaster with each test being a different proposition. This isn't the Australia team of old where they will take command if they are 1-0 up and similarly I can't see the England team, given the magnitude of the occasion, run away with it therefore a speculative punt on both teams to win the first test and LOSE the series is worth a play at nice odds.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11 Onto the 1st test and I'm going with 3 Day 1 bets. 1.5pts England to win toss and bowl 4/1 Sportingbet 0.5pts Australia to win toss and bowl 12/1 Sportingbet I think there's value at these prices. To be honest I don't expect Australia to stick England into bat but at that price I'm going to pay to find out. Everything I've seen of this wicket suggests it's a green top. We've all seen the excellent photo on page 1 of this thread telling people to stay off the wicket because of it's moisture and with the showers and dampness that's been around Brisbane in the lead up to this match you've got to think the 1st session at least will be all about the bowlers. Of course there's the school of thought that the wicket won't get any better so even though it'll be tough we'll bat on it because we'll be getting the best of what is on the wicket. I have to say though that if I'm Andrew Strauss and I've spent the last 3-4 weeks watching on the news that Michael Clarke and Simon Katich are injury concerns that I'm probably having the school of thought that says we'll see what you two are about by asking you to bat on the 1st day. I wouldn't let them nurse their back/elbow/shoulder with a day in the outfield, I'd want to test them from the start. Conditions below certainly suggest this is a bowl 1st wicket. Conditions above may not but I just think there's a stronger chance the captain which wins the toss will insert than what these prices suggest. 2pts Both teams to bat on Day 1 5/2 Sportingbet When we look at the Sheffield Shield games on this ground recently both have seen both sides batting on the opening day. It's clearly a ground where the ball is doing a bit and giving assistance to the bowlers and I can't see why that would change now. Australia's batsmen aren't in great nick and with certainly the 1st session favouring the bowlers it could well be a case of 4 or 5 down at lunch and then the bowlers grinding out the rest of the side and the other team batting that same day, similar to the England vs Aus A match in Hobart. There's been such a build up to this series that nerves could play a part too which may effect the batsmen. Either way, I wouldn't want to be a batsman on this opening day. It doesn't happen very often in test cricket these days but with these conditions and at this price I'll have a dabble at both sides batting on the opening day. 3pts Either Haddin or Prior to be dismissed on Day 1 4/5 Sportingbet Similar to above in many ways although this time we may only need 5 wickets to fall for one of the keepers to go. Both are attacking players and if the ball if moving around and doing a bit eventually you would imagine that one would either get through or catch an edge. Both sides have bowlers which can frustrate these two if it turns out that the ball isn't doing a great deal. Haddin will definitely go at the bowling regardless of the situation, I also think Prior will go at the bowling if England have got a few on the board however if they haven't he'll look to survive when maybe having a go and chancing your arm is the order of the day. I'm confident wickets will fall on this 1st day so I'll take either keeper who both bat at 7, to be dismissed before stumps on day 1.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11 And 3 longer term 1st test bets. I may well play session bets and things in running too. I'm along Crouchie's line of thinking as to how it will pan out. 4pts M.Johnson's Performance Pts - 113&Over Evs Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket I'm quite happy to take Johnson's performance here. He's on the ground he 1st played domestic cricket at so he'll know the place pretty well. However this wicket plays he's in the game with his angle across the right hander but if the wicket is conducive to seam bowling then he's even more in the game. Ironically his waywardness can be his strength because he'll bowl a load of rubbish and then take the wicket with the unexpected jaffa. I expect him to take a few wickets here because I don't see much else in this Australian side that will, maybe Siddle aside. So he could easily cover this with the ball. Add in the potential of scoring runs with the bat and then the outside chance of a catch or two and there's enough there to suggest Johnson can cover this 113pt target. 3pts G.Swann's Performance Pts - Under 115 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Graeme Swann is without a doubt a quality all round cricketer but not one wicket in the last two 1st class matches here has been taken by a spinner. I can understand that too with the moisture in the wicket heavily assisting the quicks. I would imagine that if that's the case here, and everything in the build up suggests it will be, then Collingwood may be used before Swann. Of course Swann's got chances of points with the bat and in the field given that he fields at slip but that alone isn't going to total 115pts. He will need to take wickets and he'll probably need to take at least 4 wickets too. He may take one or two in the 2nd innings but I think this will be a fairly quiet match for the off spinner and 115pts looks a big total in these conditions. 1pt ew S.Broad Top England Batsman (1st Innings Only) 40/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) As I've said all along, this isn't going to be a batsman's match early on and in those sort of conditions it's often worth looking down the order when batting might get a bit easier. Stuart Broad hit an excellent hundred in his last test match and scored a few in the one before that and that was against a very good bowling attack despite all the allegations. He's a very competent batsman who scored a few cameos against Australia over here last year. He's also scored a few on tour too so he's in good nick with the willow at the minute. As I said there's every chance those above him could struggle with the new ball and moving conditions so Broad's take it to the bowlers technique could pay dividends and at 40/1 he'll worth a small ew punt to lead England's run charts 1st time around.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11 Looking for some opinion on a bet i had in mind. Buying Matt Prior's performance at 94 on SportingIndex? With the pitch looking as if it will favour the bowlers the chances of nick behinds is increased so i'm predicting their could be a few opportunities for Prior behind the stumps. Secondly, if the England top order struggle then that will give Prior the chance to have time at the crease.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11 0.5pts Player of the series - A Strauss - 14/1 Bet365 0.5pts Player of the series - J Anderson - 22/1 Bet365 Nothing much really to explain this. Odds looked attractive and gut feeling tells me these two will perform well down under whilst in decent form. 1 pt A Strauss performance points 84 and over - 5/6 Bet365 For me Strauss at the moment has to be the best batsmen in the world. He's scoring for fun of late with huge knocks and centuries. Also he scores quickly from the word go which seems to be a new trend of the opening batsmen around. Strauss field positioning also gives him a high chance of catches which adds to my confidence of this target going over.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11 Some really excellent thoughts on the thread, thanks for sharing them. Lets hope is a cracking seris. Laying Australia personally. Whilst its good they won the toss the first 20 overs will be interesting and could set the tone, on sidelines for time being.

Some really excellent thoughts on the thread' date=' thanks for sharing them. Lets hope is a cracking seris. Laying Australia personally. Whilst its good they won the toss the first 20 overs will be interesting and could set the tone, on sidelines for time being.[/quote'] :welcome to PL Manuel :ok.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11 Thanks for the welcome. Not trading yet, England dont look comfortable yet. I can see a scenario where cook + Petersson go cheap and its left to the middle order to turn it round (which I think they will). Such a shame there's no place for Morgan.

....but the other 2 are winners. Great picks Kev' date=' profit already:clap:clap[/quote'] Indeed, I only joke, my money's in the same hands!! Great start Kev, and good work digging them out, hidden in the day 1 specials section! Shows your time and digging paid off and are appreciated!... Mental note.... might be getting to a time where I should use that little donate button? :$

Indeed' date=' I only joke, my money's in the same hands!! Great start Kev, and good work digging them out, hidden in the day 1 specials section! Shows your time and digging paid off and are appreciated!... [b']Mental note.... might be getting to a time where I should use that little donate button? :$
Nah mate, he didn't find a 50/1+ shot in the darts so I think he owes us:lol

Nah mate' date=' he didn't find a 50/1+ shot in the darts so I think he owes us:lol[/quote'] :sad:sad:sad. As a punter that wasn't a bad day's cricket for me, especially when I bet Strauss is now wishing he'd bowled ;). As an Englishman a few more runs would've been nice. +3.4pts for the opening day of the series. I'll take another 24 of those ;). 2 for me heading into day 2. 4pts Australia's 1st Inns Runs - Under 400.5 5/6 Bet365 I think this line is way too high. I don't comply with all the talk that this is a good batting wicket. England's batsmen never had it easy against an average bowling attack and I'm not expecting Australia's to have it easy either. In recent years, one thing we've seen with his England side is that it has a lot of character and when we have a poor day we often bounce back in style and I think the guys will do that tonight. I don't think we were that poor yesterday. I think we're only about 40 below what I'd have called an ok score so the damage is far from beyond repair. As we've been saying all through the build up to this series, this Australia batting lineup is out of form as individuals and many of them are under pressure for their places. The ball did a bit right through the day on the opening day and as it dries out a bit and quickens up then I would expect to do a lot more. 400 is a big total on this ground anyway but I think it's going to be very difficult for Australia to get near such a total 1st time around. England have the attack to take wickets on this surface and while Australia may well lead after the 1st innings, I don't think they'll go past 400 in this innings. 2pts Both teams to bat on Day 2 3/1 Sportingbet Attacking a market which was successful for me on day 1. I just think it's a big price more than anything. I really think Australia are going to struggle on this wicket and I'm sure one thing they didn't want was the ball to be turning pretty big on day 1 because that brings Graeme Swann right into the game. In saying that as this wicket gets quicker it will be harder to bat on anyway. We saw on the opening day that if you are prepared to put the ball into the wicket it's going to assist you as a bowler. Peter Siddle did that brilliantly and in Stuart Broad and Steve Finn, England have two bowlers who do exactly that so I think they'll go well. A long day's work will await England on day 2 but as we saw in India, wickets can go quite quickly when this Aussie side hits the slippery slope. With Doherty in the side they have a longish tail so if England can get stuck in early doors and have two or three by lunch then I would expect Strauss and Cook to be putting the pads back on before stumps.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11 In agreement with you here Kev, quite a few I like here, might seem like throwing eggs into one basket but prices are very tempting to get involed with. 1st Test, Day 2 2pts Australia to lose 1st wicket before 50 runs @ 6/4 Bet365 I'm of the opinion that England's total was 30 or so runs behind par, the bookies seem keen to think that Australia are heavy favourites but I disagree. I think England can get after Australia early in the morning session and 6/4 for them to lose an early wicket looks more than fair, there looks to be enough in this pitch for the bowlers and I don't think Australia will be cruising. 3pts S.Katich not to score 50 runs @ EVS Bet365 Simon Katich is currently on 15 overnight and requires another 35 for this bet to lose, I'm happy with the even money price on him not doing so. He averages around 45 in tests so we just need that to hold up, I fancy the English bowlers to get after the Aussies in the morning session. Watson will have a good series for me so I'm not keen to take him on but Katich style can always get him into trouble and I don't see him reaching the 50. 5pts Australia 1st innings runs - Under 400.5 Runs @ 5/6 Bet365 This is exactly what I mean about bookmakers assuming Australia are going to bat alot better then England, I felt England were a few runs short of a par 1st innings total, Australia will need to get 100 runs better then par in my eyes for this bet to lose. Their middle order isn't exactly full of confidence and if England can roll a couple wickets over then this total could quickly look far away for the hosts. 6pts No Batsmen to reach a century on Day 2 @ 6/5 Sportingbet Again its a really tempting price offered from Sportingbet and I'll be having a decent wager on this. I've already spoke about how I feel the English bowlers will get after this Australian batsmen, it doesn't look the best batting wicket in the world and there is alot in it for the bowlers, a couple threatened to make a century in the English innings but fell quite a few short and I dont see a century being scored.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11 I'm also taking on Katich albeit in a slightly different market to Spooner. 3pts - Next man out Simon Katich (v Shane Watson) - Evens (bet365) This would be 5/6 a piece I'm sure if they were both level on scores but that doesn't matter one bit as a difference of 6 runs is no indicator of form at such an early stage. Katich's technique will always give him problems and I feel England have the right combination of bowlers to trouble him, I can see him shuffling across to a Broad or Finn and edging one to the slips or gully. Playing this particular market as opposed to runs just incase these two put a big stand. Overrall evens is a nice price for Katich to be next man out in my view.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2010/11 Ricky Ponting Top Australian batsman (1st innings) 4/1 Boylesports. Ponting has stated he will still continue to play the pull shot, even if England continue to bowl back of a length, however i think he will be cautious and look to dig in early on and then build his innings, still the key wicket in the Aussie line up, read somewhere he averages 66 at Brisbane. Looks a fair price.

5pts Australia 1st innings runs - Under 400.5 Runs @ 5/6 Bet365 This is exactly what I mean about bookmakers assuming Australia are going to bat alot better then England, I felt England were a few runs short of a par 1st innings total, Australia will need to get 100 runs better then par in my eyes for this bet to lose. Their middle order isn't exactly full of confidence and if England can roll a couple wickets over then this total could quickly look far away for the hosts.
I've never betted on cricket before. Its something I will try and predict in the first two or three tests and maybe try out for real in the latter tests with small stakes. I do like the look of this though. Australia showed yesterday that despite the pitch favouring batting there is scope for the bowlers for get under the skin of the batsmen and judging by the first half an hour of play, Anderson in particular, is getting the ball to nip and seam a touch. Best of luck to all :hope