** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 More great results for the thread this morning - well done all. :clap Not a bad morning for me, with Burnett obliging but Bingham just unable to cover the handicap leaving me +8.4 for the tournament. Have to say I'm not a fan of these +1.5 handicaps, as the drop in odds from the outright price doesn't really reflect the chances of a final frame decider - not sure if I'll take that play again. On a positive note, Mark Davis' fine win over Stephen Maguire leaves me with 8/1 on him to beat Jamie Burnett in the quarters. That's probably about right given JB's form today. :lol Just the one for me this afternoon and it's a risky one, but I can't ignore this price. 3pts - J Cope to beat D Junhui @ 2.78 with Betfair Jamie Cope is not a player I readily trust my hard-earned with, but for me the odds are just plain wrong here. Ding has played just 2 matches this season and he looks rusty. Jin Long had him on the ropes at 4-1 yesterday before nerves crept in and the youngster made a few basic errors to let Ding back into the match. Breaks of 93 and 67 in a 4 frame winning streak aren't to be sniffed at, but Long had chances in at least 2 of those 4 frames to win the match. In contrast, Jamie Cope has plenty of match practice under his belt, having played all the PTC tournaments. He hasn't really made much of an impact since the reaching the semi-finals of PTC1, but he's playing his 18th match of the season here, so there's just no comparison in the preparation stakes. He looked reasonably calm in coming through a tricky first round match against Steve Davis and there's no doubt that he has the ability to worry anyone - witness his 4-0 drubbing of Ronnie O'Sullivan in PTC1. Once again, this is by no means a rock solid pick, but I just can't ignore the price on Cope here.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010

More great results for the thread this morning - well done all. :clap Not a bad morning for me, with Burnett obliging but Bingham just unable to cover the handicap leaving me +8.4 for the tournament. Have to say I'm not a fan of these +1.5 handicaps, as the drop in odds from the outright price doesn't really reflect the chances of a final frame decider - not sure if I'll take that play again. On a positive note, Mark Davis' fine win over Stephen Maguire leaves me with 8/1 on him to beat Jamie Burnett in the quarters. That's probably about right given JB's form today. :lol Just the one for me this afternoon and it's a risky one, but I can't ignore this price. 3pts - J Cope to beat D Junhui @ 2.78 with Betfair Jamie Cope is not a player I readily trust my hard-earned with, but for me the odds are just plain wrong here. Ding has played just 2 matches this season and he looks rusty. Jin Long had him on the ropes at 4-1 yesterday before nerves crept in and the youngster made a few basic errors to let Ding back into the match. Breaks of 93 and 67 in a 4 frame winning streak aren't to be sniffed at, but Long had chances in at least 2 of those 4 frames to win the match. In contrast, Jamie Cope has plenty of match practice under his belt, having played all the PTC tournaments. He hasn't really made much of an impact since the reaching the semi-finals of PTC1, but he's playing his 18th match of the season here, so there's just no comparison in the preparation stakes. He looked reasonably calm in coming through a tricky first round match against Steve Davis and there's no doubt that he has the ability to worry anyone - witness his 4-0 drubbing of Ronnie O'Sullivan in PTC1. Once again, this is by no means a rock solid pick, but I just can't ignore the price on Cope here.
:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy I considered this bet because of Ding's rustyness but as you say Cope is pretty unpredictable so I decided not to bet. Awesome pick mate.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 Yep, another day full of winners in here:clap:clap Mixed day for me, 2 from 3 in the match bets today, securing a 3pt profit but the loss of Williams means a 4pt outright loss. That takes me to +16.68pts overall so far, with still the Cope high break pending. He'll need well over a 130 though to get into the money. I bet you couldn't have picked the last 8, I'd almost fancy myself to prevail in that company:lol

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 I did fancy Cope today and the result was even better than i expected but i think that was mostly Ding being very poor, he missed alot of easy pots so that brings me to tommorows Quarter final bets. 5Pts Dott to beat Cope 1.9 Stanjames I opposed dott in the 1st round but he has turned out to proove me wrong. He has continued his come back from last year into the start of this one and he is looking very good now. Yes, it did go to the final frame but he then went on to beat Williams in the final frame aswell. This will be huge for his confidence. Cope played davis in the 1st round were he was expected to win and played ok against an awful Ding but now this is his hardest test of the tournament. Winner must fancy their chances for the title aswell here.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 2 for me. 4pts G.Dott to beat J.Cope 9/10 Stan James Graeme Dott is playing some decent snooker again now after his battle with depression and all that went on in his life with his wife and everything. He made the world final and he looks like that's given him the boost to compete regularly for tournaments again. Jamie Cope has done well this week but in truth he hasn't beaten a lot. Ding's a decent name on the CV but in terms of what we actually saw from Ding it isn't a huge amount to write home about. Dott's always an underrated scorer and if you're going to beat Cope you will need to score when he gives you chances because he rarely needs 2 invitations to gobble a frame up. Dott's very good tactically though and combine that with his breakbuilding prowess and I think the Scot wins this quarter final. 3pts M.Selby to win 1st 4 frames vs M.King 21/20 Paddy Power Mark Selby has been 3-1 up in both his matches so far and I see no reason why this can't be the same. Mark King's having a decent run in Shanghai this week but he's yet to play a top 16 player and he's very much played nothing like the sort of class and quality Selby brings to the table. King was 2-0 down to Joe Delaney in the opening round so he's not always the fastest out of the traps. Selby likes playing King. He's whitewashed him twice since King beat him in the worlds in 2008 and while a whitewash might be asking a bit much of the Jester here, I do see him coming through this quite comfortably. I thought about the handicap but I'm no 4/6 backer of a handicap and the 2.5 is worrying from the point of view Gould came back from 3-1 down to force a decider against Selby. If Selby does win comfortably as I think he will then there's a better than even chance he'll be 3-1 up or better at half time and this way a King rally wouldn't bother me. At odds against, I think this is the correct play here.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 So, who really wants to win this tournament? I'm not sure anybody is that desperate for it:lol. In tomorrow's quarter finals, I honestly cannot pick a winner in any of them. It really looks to be a 'pick em' set of games and so I'm going to take the over 7.5 frames on each & every match. The write up will suffice for all games as I just feel that no-one is standing out, there are lots of frames being thrown away and the finishing line is so close being a best of 9 that the nerves kick in straight away. In the 2 games each played by King, Carter, Davis and Dott, they would have covered this line in all 8 games. Stevens is 1 from 2 but his game today against Murphy would have been closer had the Magician actually managed to play a single, decent frame. Selby is also at 50% but his opposition here is tougher than the unknown Mel Xiwen, whilst Cope, another 1 from 2, beat a very poor Ding. To be fair, I'd have fancied my chances to beat Ding today. The only player to coast through his games so far is Jamie Burnett but Tian & Higginson aren't exactly the same proposition as a Mark Davis who has so far seen off Maguire and Fu. The games are sure to be tight so I'll take all 4 to finish 5-3 or 5-4. Prices taken are: J.Burnett v M.Davis, over 7.5 frames, 3pts @ 5/6 Paddy Power G.Dott v J.Cope, over 7.5 frames, 3pts @ 4/5 Paddy Power A.Carter v M.Stevens, over 7.5 frames, 3pts @ 4/5 Paddy Power M.Selby v M.King, over 7 frames, 3pts @ Evs Bet365

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy I considered this bet because of Ding's rustyness but as you say Cope is pretty unpredictable so I decided not to bet. Awesome pick mate.
Cheers Hernan. :ok Really can't see a bet on the Cope v Dott match tomorrow and I already have Davis on the quarter bet, so I'm going to sit out the early matches. Totally agree with Russ that these quarter-finals are very hard to call, but I am quite tempted by Selby -1.5 at first glance - will see tomorrow.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 A few late night bets as I can't sleep. I've decided to go for some correct score bets: 1pt G.Dott to beat J.Cope 5-3 at 5.5 Betfred Initially Jamie Cope caught my eye as he has done very well so far, albeit against the evergreen Steve Davis and the very ring rusty Ding. Dott has had to face tougher opponents, especially Mark Williams who I thought had a great chance to win this tournament as his resurgence in snooker form continues. He did this with breaks of 65, 61 and 70. Although Cope made short work of Ding, he let him have many chances and I believe Dott will punish him for these kind of errors. 1pt M.Davis to beat J.Burnett 5-3 at 5.5 Betfred Burnett whitewashed an absent Higginson and is now going to face a much sterner test in Davis. Davis has knocked out the big names of Fu (coming back from 4-3 down to win the last 2 frames and the match with breaks of 59 and 105 under pressure) and the always dangerous but out of sorts Stephen Maguire. I see Davis doing enough to win this game either 5-3 or 5-4, hopefully the former. :hope:hope

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 5pts Stevens to beat Carter 2.46 Betfair Stevens has drifted to a decent price here. Carter is a very good player and has won both of his games 5 3 but Stevens is his toughest match so far and Stevens has already had a couple of very good results. I think it will be a close one but plenty of value in this.

Couple of quarter bets for me to kick off the season. 2pts - Mark Davis to win 1st Quarter @ 9 with Betfair This is a very speculative punt, given that Mark Davis has never progressed beyond the quarter-final of a ranking tournament before, but the top quarter of the draw looks wide open since Ronnie's withdrawal. Davis had his best ever season on the professional tour last year, rising to a career-high ranking of 26, and he's been very solid so far this year, reaching the semi-finals of PTC3 and the last 16 of 3 of the other 4 PTCs. He's also started scoring heavily, hitting 7 centuries already this season - only Cope, Selby, and McGill have hit more. He'll have to beat Marco Fu and then Trump or Maguire just to reach the quarter-final, so this is by no means a solid pick, but I like the odds and I fancy Mark could be knocking on the door of the top 16 soon, so he needs to start producing it when it counts.
you must be sick, very unlucky. He was 4 2 up aswell wasn't he? :(

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 Cheers lads - yeah, it was 4-1. :sad Still, can't complain as Mark gave me a good run and the better player won on the day. Burnett was rock solid from 4-1 down and Mark lost his bottle a little bit - always the danger when you back someone who's not used to going so deep in ranking tournaments. Onwards and upwards, and just the one for me this afternoon. I can't make my mind up on the Carter v Stevens match - I quite fancy the Captain to do the business, but his odds are a bit on the stingy side. 4pts - M Selby (-1.5 frames) to beat M King @ 1.64 with Betfair Selby has whitewashed King twice in recent seasons and there's no denying he's the quality pick left in the draw. King didn't have a great campaign in the PTCs he entered, and he's yet to beat a top 16 player this season. He did enough to see off Joe Delaney and Peter Ebdon in the previous rounds here, but he's stepping up another couple of levels in this match. Selby was made work for his victory over Gould in the last round. Gould showed again what a great potter he is and knocked in breaks of 74 and 101 as he pushed all the way to the line. King doesn't possess the same potting game or breakbuilding ability, and I think he'll struggle to match Mark in the tactical exchanges as well. I'd be very surprised if Selby doesn't win this 5-3 at worst, so I'm happy to take him on the handicap here.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice. I'm quite new to betting and only had an account at Betfred. I have grown a bit frustrated with their limited markets for some sports such as tennis and snooker and sometimes uncompetitive odds so I've signed up with Bet365. I've initially deposited £200 which has been doubled to £400 thanks to their sign up bonus. However, withdrawal restrictions apply, but this is natural. It says I have to work through my stake 3 times to be able to withdraw. Is this the whole £400 three time yes? Does anyone know if inplay bets count towards this, such as betting on Man Utd to win a game at 1.02 when they are winning 2-0 at 87 minutes? Thanks for any help.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 You would need to read the bonus terms... I've had bonuses from them without having to go crazy so they can't be hard to meet.... I remember getting a signup bonus from expekt.... and the terms were ridiculous... had to be on bets of evens and above... and you had to work through the bonus AND winnings 3 times!

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 2 wins, 2 losses today so standing at +15.58pts. I'm taking bets in both semis... J.Burnett v J.Cope, over 9 frames, 4pts @ 11/10 Bet365 Certainly 2 of the surprise packages of the week and this will be a tight one. Both have done well to get so deep into the competition but now it's squeaky bum time. I just can't see either of them closing the match out when in sight of the winning line and it's likely to be nip & tuck. Cope comes here off the back of a nice win over Graeme Dott and, despite winning the last 4 frames of the match to win 5-2, he wasn't totally convincing hitting only 1 break over 50 whilst giving his opponent chances in the final 2 frames. Burnett, on the other hand, was 4-1 down but showed his fighting capabilities against Mark Davis to prevail 5-4. It looks a very close match up on current form and I don't see more than 2 frames between them at the finish so odds against will do for me. M.Selby v A.Carter, over 1.5 centuries, 3pts @ 6/4 Paddy Power 2 players well capable of knocking in big scores and a likely close game so I'll take the overs on the centuries. The winner of this will be a hot favourite in the final so I think both will be at the top of their games for this, and will look to put out a message to their final opponent. In their respective quarter finals, they had 3 centuries between them, Carter 1 and Selby 2 on the trot to close out the match. Before that, neither of them had hit a ton so it's clear they're both improving. Each now playing a better class of opponent, they will have to up their game and it'll be a case of one chance snooker so 6/4 looks more than reasonable odds to me.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 Unlucky on your bet this morning Russ. I didn't see the match but from what I gather Cope threw in one of his trademark nightmare performances and was never in it. Fair play to Burnett though - he's made the most of Ronnie's withdrawal that's for sure. Selby beating the handicap against King yesterday leaves me +13.9 for the tournament and I'm going to have another little flutter on him today. 3.5pts - M Selby (-1.5 frames) to beat A Carter @ 1.81 with Betfair I said yesterday that Selby is the class act left in the field and his performance against Mark King just underlined that, finishing the match off with back-to-back century breaks. Only Martin Gould's excellent potting display has managed to unsettle him a little, but even there Selby's superior tactical game enabled him win a few close frames and he closed out the decider with a confident 73 break. Ali Carter has been his usual consistent self all week - playing solid snooker, holding himself together under pressure (witness his superb match-winning black against Matthew Stevens yesterday), and of course winning matches - which has become a habit for Ali in the last few seasons. However, for all Ali's consistency, he still doesn't convert enough of his ranking tournament runs into title wins or even final appearances, and I think that trend will continue here. Selby leads the head-to-heads 6-3 and, to put it bluntly, I think he's a better breakbuilder and a better tactician than Ali, so it's hard to see where Carter can hurt him today. With the matches now best of 11, the -1.5 handicap becomes an even more tempting play and, provided Mark keeps up the standard he's shown so far, I don't see him losing more than 4 frames here.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 Well, didn't expect Burnett to win that one so easily, glad I swerved as I was tempted with Cope again. Hoping to keep my 100% record intact this afternoon. 6pts M.Selby to beat A.Carter @ 1.57 Stan James Both of these players will now strongly fancy their chances of winning this tournament. Carter, I've seen bits and bobs of him when I could this week and although he is getting results, what top players do, I wouldn't saying he is playing his best snooker and if I thought that if he does meet Mark Selby is the semi's, then that's when he could go out. Selby is a great player, so so consistent, he played with style yesterday and in such a short format he has the ability to quickly get away, but also is a top quality player when it comes down to digging in. I feel he'll be reaching another final.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 One for me this afternoon. 4pts M.Selby (-1.5 frames) to beat A.Carter 10/11 Stan James The Captain's flight path in the Shanghai Masters has hit a fair amount of turbulance along the way and I fear a crash landing here. Mark Selby came into this tournament in decent touch and scoring heavily and he's continued that in Shanghai this week. Selby's a serious player now and tough to beat in any conditions no matter how he plays, such is his fighting sprit. Carter should be out really. How Matthew Stevens missed that black to send him packing yesterday I still don't know but credit to Carter he battled back from a huge deficit to win his quarter final. In truth though he hasn't looked very convincing all week and unless he ups his game significantly I expect Selby to win this and win it no worse than 6-4.