** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 1st Quarter O'Sullivan Maguire Day Fu Trump M Davis Higginson Burnett 2ND Quarter Ding Williamson Cope Dott Walden Doherty S Davies Milkins 3rd Quarter Murphy Allen Carter Wenbo Lee Stevens Bingham Harold 4th Quarter Selby Robertson Hendry Ebdon King Gould Delaney Dunn

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 3pts Day to win quarter 1 - 9.00 StanJames Ronnie has pulled out of this which will be great news to Ryan Day. The winner of higginson and maimaiti plays day in the 1st round. The winner of burnett and pengfei gets a bye to the last 16 who i expect will be day. This leaves day with a perfect opportunity to get to the quater final match probably against Maguire but at 8/1 this is huge value!

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 2pts Robertson to win quarter 4 - 3.75 Boylesports Robertson meets Ebdon in the 1st round match which will be tougher than his 2nd round match if he reached there. Ebdon always tough to play against but i feel he is better in the longer matches and robertson will progress. He won't complain against king, delany or yan in the 2nd round! Then his quater final, most likely hendry or selby. Both tough games, selby 2nd favourite for the tournamnet but robertson is well capable.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010

Is Ronnie out of this? Drifting like a barge on Betfair' date=' out to 16/1, and removed from others lists.....have I missed something?[/quote'] Yes he pulled out today apparentley, thought that Ronnie price was too high so the winner of the wildcard gets a bye to the last 16. Day is playing a wilcard in the 1st round aswell :eek. Stan james taking bets.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 The O'Sullivan situation is a bit unclear. Apparently World Snooker announced Ronnie's withdrawal due to a back problem on their site last night and then took the story down within minutes. As a result, some firms have removed Ronnie from the outright betting, but some firms still have him as favourite and he's back in to 11/2 on Betfair as I type. Might be worth holding off on any outright bets until this situation as clarified, as some firms will Rule 4 any bets if he pulls out.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 Match prices:

Monday 6 September 2010 Player 1 Player 2 BPP
maximize.gif Burnett, J v Tian, Pengfei (08:30 BST) 2.37 1.72 100.00 %
maximize.gif Long, J v Milkins, R (08:30 BST) 2.62 1.57 101.73 %
maximize.gif Delaney, J v Li, Yan (13:45 BST) 1.86 1.9 105.87 %
maximize.gif Dunn, M v Xi Wen, M (13:45 BST) 1.5 2.62 104.76 %
maximize.gif Gould, M v Hang, L (13:45 BST) 1.5 3 100.00 %
Tuesday 7 September 2010 Player 1 Player 2 BPP
maximize.gif Allen, M v Bingham, S (07:30 BST) 1.4 2.87 106.21 %
maximize.gif Maguire, S v Trump, J (07:30 BST) 1.66 2.25 104.44 %
maximize.gif Wenbo, L v Stevens, M (07:30 BST) 1.72 2.2 103.35 %
maximize.gif Fu, M v Davis, M (12:45 BST) 1.57 2.37 105.74 %
maximize.gif Williams, M v Walden, R (12:45 BST) 1.5 2.62 104.76 %
Wednesday 8 September 2010 Player 1 Player 2 BPP
maximize.gif Cope, J v Davis, S (07:30 BST) 1.4 3.1 103.69 %
maximize.gif Robertson, N v Ebdon, P (07:30 BST) 1.5 2.75 103.03 %
maximize.gif Murphy, S v Lee, S (12:45 BST) 1.4 3 104.76 %

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 Really looking forward to the snooker and I'm taking 3 outrights as a starter: M.Williams to win Shanghai Masters, 1pt EW @ 12/1 Betfred (1/2 odds 1,2) M.Williams to win 2nd quarter, 2pts @ 11/4 Paddy Power The Welshman has started the season off pretty well and I take him to extend that form into the first ranking event of the season. Won the first PTC event in fine style, demolishing Stephen Maguire in the final and beating Judd Trump & Jamie Cope, amongst others, along the way before having 2 quiet tournaments. Came back to form in PTC4 when reaching the semi final where he was beaten 4-1 by in form Barry Pinches before yet another quiet one in the Paul Hunter Classic. That run, though, puts him 4th in the standings behind Pinches, Selby & Trump. Previous form at this event is none too inspiring but when you consider he was knocked out in the last 2 seasons by Higgins & O'Sullivan, neither of which are here this week, it gives more than a little hope. Draw is interesting, starts with a tough one against Ricky Walden, a previous winner of this, who hasn't started the season too well but after that it opens up. Would then have either Dott or Doherty, a match he should win comfortably before Cope or Ding in the quarters. Cope's a decent player but, to me, a bit of a bottler whilst Ding's lack of match practice will make it very difficult for him. With Ronnie out, the 1st quarter looks very poor too so at a big looking 12's in the weaker half, I'll take the left hander to get the season off to a flyer. J.Cope to have highest break, 1pt EW @ 28/1 SportingBet (1/4 odds 1,2,3) Always a wide open market and I'm going to take Cope at a very big price. Hasn't necessarily been in tip top form but has hit quite a few centuries in the 5 tour events held so far, 7 in total. One of those was a 137, a break only bettered by 5 playing in this event so far in the PTC's. Another of those was a 130 so clearly showing he can knock in the big ones. That will give him some confidence as, last season, he only scored 6 all season. As always, it may be a question of how deep into the tournament he goes. I certainly think he'll beat the Nugget in round 1 and I fancy him to beat Ding in round 2 as his rustiness could prove his undoing, as mentioned earlier. That should give him 2 decent attempts at scoring high so, at 28's and the 11th favourite, I think this bet offers a bit of value.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 One for me. I'm on a similar line of thinking to Russ albeit in the top half of the top half. 1pt ew J.Trump to win Shanghai Masters 25/1 Blue Square 1pt J.Trump to win 1st Quarter 9/2 Sportingbet Judd Trump's had a decent start to the season having won the Paul Hunter Classic last weekend, beating among others, Shaun Murphy in the semi final of that tournament. He beat Anthony Hamilton in the final which will put him in good stead for the week ahead. In the other PTC events it's taken a real top guy to stop him. Williams in the 1st, Selby the next and O'Sullivan in the 4th PTC event. He starts his quest for Shanghai glory against Stephen Maguire which will be a tough test but it's probably his toughest test until the semi finals. Marco Fu and Ryan Day are worthy of respect but not fear. Trump had an awful record in the ranking events last year but his win last weekend suggests there's more to come from the young hotshot this year and at 25/1 in much the weaker half of the draw, I'll take Trump to come through and claim his 1st ranking event title this week in an event with history in unfancied winners in the past.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 Couple of quarter bets for me to kick off the season. 2pts - Mark Davis to win 1st Quarter @ 9 with Betfair This is a very speculative punt, given that Mark Davis has never progressed beyond the quarter-final of a ranking tournament before, but the top quarter of the draw looks wide open since Ronnie's withdrawal. Davis had his best ever season on the professional tour last year, rising to a career-high ranking of 26, and he's been very solid so far this year, reaching the semi-finals of PTC3 and the last 16 of 3 of the other 4 PTCs. He's also started scoring heavily, hitting 7 centuries already this season - only Cope, Selby, and McGill have hit more. He'll have to beat Marco Fu and then Trump or Maguire just to reach the quarter-final, so this is by no means a solid pick, but I like the odds and I fancy Mark could be knocking on the door of the top 16 soon, so he needs to start producing it when it counts. 2pts - Neil Robertson to win 4th quarter @ 3.3 with Betfair It'll be interesting to see how winning his first World Championship affects Robbo this season. Some players don't wear the title well (Graeme Dott comes to mind) and seem to crumple under the pressure of being up there to be shot at, but I think the Aussie is made of sterner stuff. It's hard to see beyond a quarter final match up between Robbo and Mark Selby here, and logic suggests Selby should prevail given his sparkling early season form, but if Neil can see his way past Peter Ebdon and then one of Mark King/Joe Delaney/Li Yan, then I'm essentially getting 3.3 on Mark Selby vs the World Champion in a 9 frame shoot out which has to be a value bet.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 Excellent to see Ryan Day drop to as low as 4.3 from 9.00 to win the quater and Robertsons Quarter looks weak. So quite happy going in to the 1st round matches. 1st match pick of the week. 5pts Over 7.5 frames Maguire Vs Trump 8/11 Bluesquare Some people would look at this game and say trump is good value at 2.3. He is a very good up coming youngster and Maguire is going to be rubbing his hands together when he sees what chance he has here. The match is huge if you look at the quarter, both players would be confident of reaching the latter stages if they progress this round so it will be cagey, scrappy and neither player will want to give anything away. I cant see an easy win for any player, I think this game will be closer than that.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 3pts Doherty to beat Dott 6/4 Sportingbet Doherty is over priced here IMO. Last season was the year he came back into form, doing well in this very competition last year qualifying and then defeating Mehta, Neil Robertson and Hawkins only to bump in to Murphy in the quarters. He was unlucky at the crucible Qualifying for the World Championships but got an impressive Selby in the draw. Dott came back last year especially at the crucible were he battled his way to the final only to lose out to Robertson. I fancy Doherty at this price however against a player who didn't win a ranking event match in 16 months, this is a vital season for him.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 2 for me in the morning. 3pts M.Stevens to beat L.Wenbo 6/5 Sportingbet I like Matthew Stevens in this match up. I know Liang was runner up here last year and is entitled to go well in his home surroundings but Matthew Stevens is no mug and he's got plenty of match practice in during the PTC events which have begun the season. He's won a few matches in those events which should lead to the confidence being high in the Welshman. Liang only played one of those events so he could be a little rusty. In the past he's often been the underdog in this round but now as a top 16 member he's the favourite which carries a different burden. He made the final in this 12 months ago but didn't do a lot else last year save from a decent run in the UK Championship. Stevens has been hit and miss for a while now but he looks a decent enough price to take this one at. 3pts S.Bingham to beat M.Allen 7/4 Blue Square Stuart Bingham is a very heavy scorer when he gets going and he's had regular match practice coming into this event which bodes well for the Essex man. Matches is something Mark Allen hasn't had and it could be that he's a bit rusty at the beginning of what is the longest season for quite a while. Bingham's popped in 5 tons this season already in the PTC events which shows he's playing well and scoring heavily. Mark Allen is a heavy scorer too when he's on song but as I say having played only one event so far he could be a little rusty here. With that in mind I'll take the Englishman to win this one.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 Going with 2 on the 1st 'proper' day: S.Bingham to beat M.Allen, 3pts @ 7/4 Bet365 I'm completely with Kev on this one. As people may know, I'm a huge fan of Mark Allen but feel he's better over the longer format. Personally, I'd never back him in a best of 9 match but would never oppose him in a best of 17. This shorter format plus the difference in form of the 2 make odds of almost 2's look ridiculously big. Bingham, as Kev says, has played plenty in the PTC events, winning 8 matches before Allen had even taken his cue out of his case, recording 4 centuries in those first 3 events. Since then, he was beaten in Round 1 of PTC4 before having a super run to the quarters in the EPTC, losing out to eventual runner up Anthony Hamilton. Along the way, he beat the World Champ, Neil Robertson, proving he's in fine fettle and isn't afraid of the big guns. Allen, meanwhile, hasn't exactly started firing yet, losing in Round 2 of his first event to Stephen Lee before a defeat in Round 1 of the first EPTC event against Higginson. Bingham's a vastly underrated player and, unless the Irishman brings his A game to the table, it could be unseeded Englishman that progresses. A.Higginson to beat R.Day, 3pts @ 11/8 Stan James Another bet that's on similar lines to the first one. Ryan Day isn't the most reliable top 16 player and proved that with a pretty poor season last term. Here he faces an excellent player that is gradually climbing the ranking, the Widnes born player winning 5-2 today in the wildcard round. That will certainly have settled the nerves. With the Rocket out, the draw opens right up for Day if he wins and I think that will have a negative effect on him. He often lets his mind wander, I feel, and this could be another example. Results have been poles apart in the PTC, Day reaching the last 32 in PTC3 but otherwise failing to get over the first hurdle whilst Higginson has played really well so far, only falling to Mark Williams & Shaun Murphy in the last 2 events, that in itself is nothing to be ashamed of. It always an event that has an upset or 2 and, with current form the best guide so early in the season, I take the underdog to progress here.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 Looks like the best bets are in the morning seassion, im in with a 3rd bet out of the 4 matches and been reeled in with the odds to agree with Russ and kev. 3pts Bingham to beat Allen 7/4 Bluesquare The 1st round is one of the best opportunitys for the underdogs. The bookies have this as an easy allen win but Bingham is a good player, certainly capable of turning over allen in a best of 9. Allen, i really like and if he does get through he could be dangerous but with it being the 1st round were i feel upsets will happen. These odds have been based on Allens form last year but this is a new start and if Bingham is on his game he could quite easily progress!

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 Just the one for me tomorrow. 3pts - A Higginson to beat R Day @ 2.3 with Betfair Totally agree with Russ as to Ryan Day's tendancy to "switch off" during matches. He's entered all 5 PTC tournaments this season and lost his first match in 4 of them and followed that up by falling at the first hurdle in the World Open. There's an opportunity for him here with Ronnie disappearing from this section of the draw, but Ryan is the sort of player who feels the pressure more when he's expected to do well. Higginson hasn't pulled any trees up in the PTC events either, but he saw off Mark Allen and Stephen Lee in the Paul Hunter Classic and he's another player who has scored impressively with 5 centuries to his credit already this season. I think the price is decent for a solid and improving player and I'm happy to oppose Day on his current form.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 The PL gamble on Bingham landed as he produced a solid 5-2 win. Stevens also won 5-3. Trump lost which was annoying as in his 3 frames he won he hit 2 tons and an 80+ :wall. +5.85pts for me taking away the Trump losses though so I'm happy. Good luck to all those with bets in the afternoon session :ok.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 Trump should of done better than a 5-3 loss, could of easily won but good enough for me to win my main bet. That 5th frame must of hurt, should of brought it back to 3 2 but didn't take his chance! Great result for Bingham as a few of us had that one. Disappointed on Doherty it went the final frame but overall i can't complain. No bets in the afternoon games but hoping Day progresses for my Quarter bet. +5.85 after today. Goodluck! :ok

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 Day wasn't good so that leaves Quarter 1 interesting. 3pts Maguire to win Quarter 1 Betfair 2.22 2 matches to win this and next up is Davis. Maguire did well today against what was a very tricky round 1 draw but now i'm sure he will now be full of confidence. Davis also had a good result against Fu, a respectable player but not in the same league as Maguire and i'm sure he will be expecting to win this game and i'll be suprised if he doesn't. The last game will be against Burnett or Higginson. What a game Higginson had today, excellent result and he's the one i fear. A bet which is most likely to end in a Maguire Vs Higginson quarter then 2.22 is more than enough value to take.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 2 for me tomorrow. 3pts S.Davis to beat J.Cope 2/1 Blue Square Quite like the Nugget at this price. There's still plenty of snooker left in him yet as he showed at the World Championship. I'm always one to look to take Cope on, especially when he's odds on because he just hasn't got a safety game and inevitably at some point his long game is going to desert him at spots in a match and he leaves himself wide open. Davis is the master of the tactical exchange and will know how to keep Cope tied down. As well as the technical side of the game form in the PTC events suggests Davis shouldn't be a 2/1 shot, especially if we use the Paul Hunter Classic as a truer form guide. Cope lost in the 2nd round there to Craig Steadman while Davis made the quarter finals before losing to Shaun Murphy which is by no means a disgrace. In that run, Davis beat Ali Carter 4-1 and Mark Davis, who beat Fu today, 4-3. Cope's a good talent and to be fair to him he made the semi finals in the 1st PTC event but he's way too short here IMO and I'll take the Nugget to send him home at the 1st hurdle. 4pts M.Gould to beat S.Hendry 11/8 Stan James I really like Martin Gould here. We saw his talent in the world championships and Hendry saw it up close in the Welsh Open last year when he lost 5-3 to Gould. Hendry was pretty rotten last year and his best snooker is long since behind him. He hasn't had a lot of match practice coming into this match either. He only played one of the events coming in and lost in that to Bjorn Haneveer in his 2nd match. At least Gould has played in all the events keeping his eye in even if he hasn't won all of them. He has of course had a match on the tables in Shanghai too so knows the conditions he'll be playing under. To be fair to him he was crap in that wildcard match but the pressure on the professional is more than normal in those matches so to come through is no mean effort. Gould's got to be in the better nick of the two in terms of matches played and Hendry's shown nothing to suggest Gould should be an 11/8 shot here so I'm on the Londoner to progress to the last 16 at the Scot's expense here.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 Ok, heres the match bets for tommorow. 4pts Ali Carter to beat Harold -1.5 frames 1.9 Boylesports These 2 players last year had totally different seasons. Harold's year was hugely disappointing only winning 1 ranking event out of the 6 and even then he was knocked out very early by Hendry. He dropped right down the rankings because of this. Ali Carter however, is getting better and better every year. He shot right up to 4th in the rankings and has been a very consistent player. Carter is a player many will consider as a danger for the tournament i think he will win this game no worse than 5-3 3pts Gould to beat Hendry 11/8 Stanjames Hendry is a player who has had is best days and i think these odds are being too fair on him. He struggled last year to make any impact on the ranking events although he did win a few opeing matches. Gould hasn't set the world alight but he's a decent player and played his best snooker at the world championships were he impressed and could go on from there. So i'm going with the youth over experience here.