** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 And onto tomorrow, 2 bets for me. M.Selby to beat M.Xiwen 5-1, 2pts @ 7/2 Stan James M.Selby to beat M.Xiwen 5-2, 2pts @ 7/2 Stan James Firstly, I'll admit to knowing very little about Mel Xiwen other than he's ranked 102 in the world and beat Mike Dunn 5-1 in the wildcard round. However, that's the end of his heroics for this week as tournament fav, Selby, starts off here. I did look at the -2.5 frames on Selby but at 8/13, I'd rather couple these 2 bets. Admittedly, we're missing the whitewash but I always fancy any opponent to take at least 1 frame in the 1st round of a major event. Selby is in super form and should dispose of his opponent easily, currently 2nd in the PTC standing following an excellent start to his campaign. I do rate Selby very highly and believe when's he on his game, he's 2nd only to Ronnie. Will be very focused and will see this week as a massive opportunity with Higgins & the Rocket not present. I can't see this going anywher near the distance so, provided the local lad can get at least 1 frame, this should be a decent bet at 5/4. J.Long (+2.5 frames) to beat D.Junhui, 3pts @ 11/10 Boylesports Another where I don't know much about the underdog. Jin Long has a cracking name, that's for sure, and played pretty well in the wildcard round beating Rob Milkins 5-3. His opponent there has been in decent nick too so far in the PTC so it's quite a decent scalp. However, the main reason for this bet is the rustiness of Ding. He's come out and said he hoped his lack of match practice won't spoil his chances. That's not exactly someone full of confidence. I still believe Ding will get through but he'll know he's been in a match. Look at others so far that haven't played much - they haven't performed and I think this will follow the same path. Needing 3 frames, I think Jin Long is more than capable and this will be closer than many think. A nice price at a shade over Evs.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 I'm tempted to follow Kev in on the Nugget tomorrow morning, but I also have visions of Cope running through the match in an hour or so, so I think I'm going to leave it alone and probably regret it later. Carter should also prevail against Harold, but his lack of match practice (2 miserly showings in the PTCs) worries me a bit and I think this could be a close affair. With that in mind, I'm playing it relatively safe and taking just the one for tomorrow morning. 3.5pts - M Selby (-2.5 frames) to beat M Xiwen @ 1.8 with Betfair It seems a weird thing to say, but I think Selby is a tad overpriced at 4/5 to cover the handicap here. Xiwen saw off Mike Dunn very comfortably, but he's moving up several levels here and I think he'll struggle to make much of an impact on Selby's game. Selby has done the hard graft and entered all of the PTCs so far, winning PTC2 and reaching the semis of PTC3. Along the way he's knocked in 12 centuries - more than anybody else on the tour. I'd price this handicap up at closer to 1.6, so I'm happy to take the generous odds on offer here.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 Just one for me this afternoon. 7pts S.Murphy to beat S.Lee @ 1.40 Paddy Power Murphy will fancy his chances to get through this quater, he is a top quality player. Lee has been in and out of form for some time and although on his day he can give anyone a good game, you don't know what Lee will turn up. Murphy is more consistent and I expect him to get through this match, I'm swerving the handicaps in this short format.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010

Just took Dave Harold at 2.5 inplay. Both players not exactly setting the world ablaze here. 3-3 and 66-56 to Carter at the moment.
What an idiot :( I took Steve Davis last night aswell, on advice from here. This afternoon I fancy Shaun Murphy and Martin Gould to be victorious. Not sure if I'll bet though. Going to head outside for a while to clear my head.

M.Selby to beat M.Xiwen 5-2' date= 2pts @ 7/2 Stan James
Nice one Russ. :ok Also decent calls on Carter by Wanderer and Spooner this morning. :clap Bit of a mixed morning for me, with Robertson blowing the Q4 bet but Selby covering the handicap to leave me +4.36pts for the tournament with one quarter bet outstanding. I'm struggling to find much value on the afternoon matches, but I'm going to follow Kev and Wanderer in on this one. 3pts - M Gould to beat S Hendry @ 2.42 with Betfair An excuse isn't really needed to oppose Hendry these days - he's a shadow of his former self and constant tinkering with the technical side of his game has left him with a badly damaged cue action. At times last season the pause on the backstroke was so exaggerated it almost looked like he had a case of the yips. He's coming into this tournament with next to no match practice, having been whitewashed by Anthony McGill in PTC 4 and dumped out of the Paul Hunter Classic by Bjorn Haneveer, and we've already seen how much sharper the PTC regulars have looked this week. Gould has entered all 5 PTCs and, whilst he hasn't pulled up any trees so far, he's got a couple of solid wins behind him, most notably his 5-4 triumph over the in-form Barry Hawkins to qualify for Shanghai. As Kev has said, he struggled through the wildcard round but I'm hopeful he'll relax a bit now and play some of the snooker we know he is capable of. It's almost a given that Hendry will give his opponent plenty of chances these days and if Gould can take them then he should be able to prevail here.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 When 4 of you tip Gould at such a good price, it was never going to be in doubt! You knowledgable bunch you :) I've followed 2 tips on here and both returned good profits! Just need cope to make a 147 and Williams to win it and that'll be the icing! Keep it up chaps!

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 Another fantastic day in here. Some brilliant tipping guys, this year's going to be a cracker if this is anything to go by:clap:clap. Super PL gamble on Gould, that's 2 odds against gambles landed in 2 days, following the Bingham bet yesterday. Personally, very pleased again today with both bets coming in. Now standing at +17.68pts. A couple of decent betting opportunities for tomorrow too, to be posted up later.

hursday 9 September 2010 Player 1 Player 2 BPP
maximize.gif Burnett, J v Higginson, A (07:30 BST) 2.37 1.68 101.63 %
maximize.gif Carter, A v Bingham, S (07:30 BST) 1.62 2.48 102.05 %
maximize.gif Davis, M v Maguire, S (07:30 BST) 3.25 1.44 100.21 %
maximize.gif Williams, M v Dott, G (07:30 BST) 1.68 2.42 100.85 %
maximize.gif Cope, J v Ding, Junhui (12:45 BST) 2.62 1.57 101.73 %
maximize.gif King, M v Ebdon, P (12:45 BST) 2.6 1.62 100.19 %
maximize.gif Selby, M v Gould, M (12:45 BST) 1.44 3.5 98.02 %
maximize.gif Stevens, M v Murphy, S (12:45 BST) 2.6 1.55 102.98 %

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 A win and a loss for me today. Gould's win though takes me to +8.35 overall which I'm happy with. I'm going with 2 tomorrow. Both players who've served me well this week already. 3pts S.Bingham to beat A.Carter 7/5 Sportingbet Stuart Bingham is overpriced again here. He's already come through against the talented Mark Allen by 5-2 which included a superb 142 clearance along with 4 other half century breaks. As I mentioned in his 1st round match, he's scoring very well and those breaks back that up. Ali Carter came through against Dave Harold in the 1st round but it wasn't pretty and as I said yesterday, he got walloped 4-1 by Steve Davis in the latest PTC event. Carter is yet to really get going this season but Stuart Bingham seems to be revelling in the amount of matches he's getting to play. He looked much better in the opening round and I'll take him to send the Captain home here. 3pts M.Stevens (+1.5 frames) to beat S.Murphy 9/10 Boylesports Matthew Stevens is another who is playing well and I think this is a nice price on him to take 4 frames against a Shaun Murphy who is playing well but who struggled to see off Stephen Lee. Really and truly Lee let him back in that match but I don't think Stevens will do that. There's been signs recently that Stevens, who made the final in Bahrain in 08 so has shown he can play in the sticky conditions, is getting his act together and getting going again after a real lean spell. Shaun Murphy has looked good in the early stages of this season but didn't look so crash hot against Lee. Stevens is in good nick and I think he can stay close to Murphy. He may not beat the Magician but he can take him into a decider in this one.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 Day 3 and 3 bets for me... A.Carter vs S.Bingham, over 8 frames, 2pts @ 11/4 Bet365 A.Carter vs S.Bingham, exactly 8 frames, 2pts @ 5/2 Bet365 There would be no surprise here to see Bingham progress again. He played really well against Mark Allen, hitting a 50+ in every frame he won, including a magnificent 142 in the opening frame. Based on that performance, he's no pushover here. Against them is the Captain who progressed today against Dave Harold 5-3. Carter hit 3 50+ breaks in his win but did give his opponent chances, winning only 1 frame where Harold wasn't in amongst the balls. That said, he generally improves for his 1st round performance so no surprise should we see a different player here. This looks a far closer match than many think here and I just don't see either of them winning to 2. Therefore, at around 4/5, I'll take the over 7.5 frames here. S.Maguire vs M.Davis, over 7 frames, 3pts @ Evs Bet365 The 2nd bet from the morning session is the overs again in the Maguire/Davis match. Stephen Maguire isn't yet 'on fire' and was fortunate to come through against Judd Trump 5-3 where his opponent fired in 2 centuries. Again, the Scot let his opponent in in all frames but the last so he's not shoo in here against a player playing well right now. Maguire isn't a favourite of mine and always has the tendency to miss easy balls. We do need his opponent to take the chances though, and Mark Davis is well capable. The excellent scalp of Marco Fu in the first round was matched by some good play, racking up 3 50+ including a 105 to wrap up the match when poised at 4-4. Not just that but Fu was 4-3 up and Davis limited him to just 1 point in the final 2 frames, that's some going at such a crucial stage in the match. This indicates to me that the match will be much tighter again than the bookies think so, at Evs, I'll take this match to finish 5-3 or greater to either player. M.Selby to beat M.Gould, 2/5 BlueSq S.Murphy to beat M.Stevens, 8/15 BlueSq 3pts double It looks tougher to find value in the 2nd set of matches tomorrow so I'm changing tact and going for a win double on the 2 hotpots, which will give us odds a shade over 11/10. Mark Selby faces a tougher task than he did today, this time against Martin Gould, who disposed of Hendry in a PL gamble. However, an in form Selby is a totally different proposition and Gould will have to play much better to stand any chance. A short price but can't see any other result than the Jester progressing. The other part of the double is Murphy to beat Matthew Stevens. Stevens saw off Liang Wenbo in the first round, a good result in itself, but slightly worringly he only won 5-3 after getting to 4-0 up. Murphy started slowly today against Stephen Lee and was in trouble at 3-1 down. Then, his class shone through, rattling off the next 4 with runs of 51, 114, 86 and 68. If he can maintain anywhere near that standard, he'll win in a canter. Let's hope it's the perfect end to a perfect day!!

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 4pts - S Bingham (+1.5 frames) to beat A Carter @ 1.78 with Betfair Bingham is another one of the PTC converts, entering all 5 tournaments and reaching two quarter-finals, claiming scalps such as Neil Robertson and Jamie Cope along the way. As Kev and Russ have both said, he's scoring very heavily with 5 centuries to his name coming into Shanghai and a 142 to add to that in a comfortable victory over Mark Allen in round 1. Carter on the other hand is another player coming into Shanghai with very little match practice - just 2 brief appearances in the PTCs - and he looked a little out of sorts this morning as he struggled to see off Dave Harold. On form, you'd have to say Bingham looks the likelier in this match up, but Carter's ability to grind out results against lower-ranked players makes me think twice about opposing him here. You don't get to be world no.4 without being able to mix it up, and I fancy he'll make a fight of this match. With that in mind, I'm playing it relatively safe and taking Bingham on the handicap to cover any final frame mishaps. 3pts - J Burnett to beat A Higginson @ 2.4 with Betfair I think this is the toughest of the 2nd round matches to call. Higginson took out an out of sorts Ryan Day in round 1 (landing a decent gamble for many of us in the process) but, as I said at the time, despite his heavy scoring, his form in the PTCs hasn't been that great, with just the one last 16 appearance in the Paul Hunter Classic. Burnett made 2 fleeting appearances in PTCs 1 & 2, and departed the World Open at the first hurdle, but his solid win over Tian Pengfei in the wildcard round impressed me. I thought Pengfei was the most dangerous of all the wildcards on paper, but Burnett looked very calm, knocking in breaks of 94 and 131 back to back as he reeled off 4 frames in a row from 2-1 down. He must feel like he's been handed a dream opportunity with Ronnie's no show landing him into the last 16 here and I think he's a dangerous opponent for Higginson. I'd call this match a lot nearer 50-50 than the odds suggest, so I'm happy to take a value punt on the Scotsman.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 5pts A.Carter to beat S.Bingham @ 1.61 Boylesports Stuart Bingham is playing good snooker at the moment and saw off Mark Allen with a very confidence performence, Ali Carter struggled to come through his match yesterday but that's a sign of a top player who can come through matches even if they're not fully firing ,I expect that match to put him better nick having a bit of table time and I feel he can see off Bingham with a mixture of breaks & saftey play.

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 Another profitable day yesterday, winners all round. Not been able to get on here in time for any morning session bets though so going to dig in to the afternoon games hopefully. +7.71 for yesterday but both Quarter bets have now lost so i stand at +8.56. Good luck!

Re: Snooker: Shanghai Masters 2010 4pts Cope Vs Ding Over 7.5 Frames 1.8 I will be opposing Ding alot this year, I have already done it in the premier league and will again here. I've seen enough to suggest he isn't playing very well, losing 5 1 to Murphy and struggling in the 1st round here which he should of won easily. Cope is a player who is capable of beating Ding but i'm not totally convinced on the handicap available at Evens. The bet i'm going with is a game that neither player will dominate completley. A 5-3 result to either player at the very least.

7pts M.Williams to beat R.Walden @ 1.50 William Hill WIN :) 7pts A.Carter to beat D.Harold @ 1.44 William Hill WIN :) 7pts S.Murphy to beat S.Lee @ 1.40 Paddy Power WIN :) 5pts A.Carter to beat S.Bingham @ 1.61 Boylesports WIN :)
Total +12.43pts. Tempted by Cope this afternoon, but Ding has the crowd behind him. Wonder if Gould could upset Selby too.