The Jockey Thread

Re: The Jockey Thread

Not at all . I enjoy watching top class jockeys as well as the ones at the bottom of the ladder. Infact sometimes I have a bigger smile on my face when I see the Anne Stokells ,Marc Halford's , Saleem Golam's etc have winners. She is obviously not a top jockey or even one worth following from a punting point of view. However I do applaud her persistence in the sport and it gives hope to the ordinary man in the street that they can achieve what they strive for with determination.
But to be fair Erhaab, she has achieved nothing. She rides the horses she trains. She has had only 17 winners in 13 years... She ruins the horses she get's into the yard.

Poor Pawan could have been a much better horse had he been ridden by anyone else
She owns and rides the horse for herself , not for the punters. Much the same as the Long Run , SWC debate. What's the point in saying she's the worst jockey , she's fulfilling her dreams why can't we be happy for her.

But to be fair Erhaab' date=' she has achieved nothing. She rides the horses she trains. She has had only 17 winners in 13 years... She ruins the horses she get's into the yard.[/quote'] She is living her dream. Its a bit harsh to say she ruins the horses. I'm sure each horse receives more love an attention than some of the bigger yards . The results have just not gone her way with the facilities she has.

Re: The Jockey Thread She may well be fulfilling her dream but she isn't very good is she? I am very happy for her and I would love myself to have my own horses but that doesn't mean I can't say she is a terrible jockey.

Anyone else see the shocking ride Christophe Soumillion gave Dabirsim today? I fancied Dragon Pulse last night but ended up not backing it today but Soumillion gave the favourite a shocker
I've seen this mentioned elsewhere but haven't seen the race yet. What happened, was it a hold up job?

Re: The Jockey Thread No he took it up about a furlong out going nicely but started looking behind left and right. Must have a look 5 or 6 times and just trying to push the horse out and then Dragon Pulse starting closing and it was too late to get Dabirsim going

No he took it up about a furlong out going nicely but started looking behind left and right. Must have a look 5 or 6 times and just trying to push the horse out and then Dragon Pulse starting closing and it was too late to get Dabirsim going
A bad ride or a dodgy looking ride? Sounds like the Fallon ride on the all weather when he was looking round and then couldn't get the momentum as a rival passed him that saw him in court. I was shocked Dabirsim didn't win when I saw the results, had no idea it was down to the jockey.

Re: The Jockey Thread It could have been perceived a dodgy ride because of the sheer amount of the looking about. If I were the owners I would not be happy and I would have Frankie straight back on board. I think it was just a massive miss-calculation of how the opposition were going but I just can't understand why you would want to win it cheekily. He did pull pretty hard early on but he would have definitely won, had he rode him out properly.

Could anyone tell me what has happened Eddie Ahern as I haven't seen him ride for a good while. Is he injured or riding aboard? I always liked following him when he's riding for John Dunlop.
He's had a shoulder injury since January that's been stopping him race riding, he's still riding out though I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see the return of the Group 1 winning combo of Brittain and Doyle. Lets hope we see more of this world class jockey in the coming months
Clive Brittain had 3 today running in the colours of main patron Saeed Manana , all 3 were not ridden by Doyle . Doyle did however ride one for Brittain who the trainer owned himself. Doyle was riding most of Saeed Manana's horses up to a few days ago , has he been sacked by the ownwer or is it a one off ?

Re: The Jockey Thread How bad is Paddy Aspell? I nearly backed The Osteopath today and the horse got in all sorts of trouble with PA up. I half fancy one tomorrow and he's up again... 2% winners on the flat?! Really?!?! I haven't watched him in any detail - don't know what to do! Guess I'll be passing and avoiding the result for as long as possible!

How bad is Paddy Aspell? I nearly backed The Osteopath today and the horse got in all sorts of trouble with PA up. I half fancy one tomorrow and he's up again... 2% winners on the flat?! Really?!?! I haven't watched him in any detail - don't know what to do! Guess I'll be passing and avoiding the result for as long as possible!
He just won on Noodles Blue Boy 5 minutes ago, and gave it a fantastic ride.

Did he?? How funny... Still not sure whether to play or not... Anyone got a coin!?
He has a poor strike-rate, but i think it is down to who he rides for, the horses he gets to ride, and if you look at the prices of the horses he rides, only 28 of his last 100 rides had an SP of less than 10/1. Just don't think he gets good horses, that's all?

Re: The Jockey Thread Richard Hughes is a talented jockey but one I have for years said is a very lazy jockey. If he cannot win he won't bother with placings . Today on a 2/5 shot he starts slowly and by mid race he has no chance so he eases off the horse. Later on a 9/4 favorite , once beat he doesn't bother riding out . I didn't back either , but whats happened to riding out for the best possible placing ? I loathe having to put him in placepots or backing him EW. Its all or nothing with RH , if come the later part of the season he has a chance of the championship he'll ride out of his skin , 14 rides a day if he can. If not in contention he'll carry on being lazy either a brilliant win or eased up unplaced.

Re: The Jockey Thread I guess it happens with a lot of jockeys but in that category Lanfranco is unfortunately the number 1. He ALWAYS gives up when there is no chance to win and wasted so many placements I can't count them.

I guess it happens with a lot of jockeys but in that category Lanfranco is unfortunately the number 1. He ALWAYS gives up when there is no chance to win and wasted so many placements I can't count them.
Frankie is terrible for it. There was a Godolphin runner at Yarmouth last week that was sent off favourite that he gave up on. He was close up with the pace for most of the race and once he started asking the horse for an effort and he fell about a length behind the leader, he just simply gave up and stopped riding. I don't know if it's because he is a good judge on how much his horse has left in the tank or whatever but it doesn't look good.

Re: The Jockey Thread I'd like to see all jockeys ride out for the best possible placing , but I suspect the Hughes , Culhanes , Winstons etc will make some excuse up like the "horse didn't feel right " or the " horse was making a noise ".......excuses which sometimes cannot be verified. AP McCoy is one of the jockeys in my opinion who rides to the best possible placing most of the time , if i lose money on one of his rides I am never bitter , i know there was a good chance he got the best possible placing.

Re: The Jockey Thread Another awful by Joseph O'Brien today , this time on odds on shot St Nicholas Abbey . For me he doesn't have the experience required for riding on top horses and top races . We have all seen him win a few top races but that is usually because he is on the best horse. Today he didn't read the script and allowed the 66/1 pacemaker to win the race. J Murtagh who was on the 2nd favorite also left it a little too late , although he wasn't on the best horse. To me it looks like there is way too much resting on the shoulders of the golden boy , fair enough he is only a young kid but a lot of money is determined by his actions , from a betting and stud value point of view. MJ Kinane and J Spencer were sacked as a result of mistakes on the racecourse , how much longer will the Coolmore bosses tolerate his inexperience. I have so far not lost a lot of money on young Joseph , but I won't feel confidant having a decent sized wager if I fancy one of his mounts in a top race later in the season.

Re: The Jockey Thread Erhaab, i am afraid i think you are in cuckoo land! He LET the front-runner win, just like the plot on Homecoming Queen, just like the plot to get Nephrite beat... If your a trainer, do you want your 1/4 shot to win, or do you want a 66/1 shot to win? They all had that outsider backed.

Erhaab, i am afraid i think you are in cuckoo land! He LET the front-runner win, just like the plot on Homecoming Queen, just like the plot to get Nephrite beat... If your a trainer, do you want your 1/4 shot to win, or do you want a 66/1 shot to win? They all had that outsider backed.
Yes I may be in cuckoo land at times , Aidymac. I cannot agree with you that SNA , Nephrite and Maybe were beaten because the trainer / owners wanted a punt .Winning or losing may add/wipe off millions in terms of stud fees/value so I doubt it was the case. Simply young Joseph is not experienced enough at this moment in time and he will do more harm than good. Some of his high profile losses could have been prevented by having a better jockey on board . I have nothing personal against Joseph , he just won't carrying my max bets. I'd agree with you if it involved lesser trainers like Murphy , Ellison , Baker etc but not this time.

Erhaab, i am afraid i think you are in cuckoo land! He LET the front-runner win, just like the plot on Homecoming Queen, just like the plot to get Nephrite beat... If your a trainer, do you want your 1/4 shot to win, or do you want a 66/1 shot to win? They all had that outsider backed.
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol This is Aidan O'Brien, not Barney Curley!

Re: The Jockey Thread Aidy's kind of right with the Nephrite one, as they obviously knew he was better than the odds were in the morning, but to say Homecoming Queen and Windsor Castle were plots by the yard is fanciful.

Re: The Jockey Thread I'd be surprised if there was anything dodgy here. Surely winning a group 3 with St Nicholas Abbey would be worth more to Coolmore in terms of stud value than having finished 2nd twice already this season. Just think it was poor judgement by Joseph O'Brien (and equally as bad from Johnny Murtagh for that matter).