Rio's Racing Diary

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Hooray the flat's back. I've had one single, a Doncaster multiple & a lucky 15 on the minor meeting in the desert. Donny 1.30 I'm really looking forward to this, I love 2yo's, just looking at them you see all sorts of shapes & sizes & after a Winter of great big chasing sorts it's like a breath of fresh air. Bill Turner usually has one ready for this & he runs the filly Paddy Again but I haven't backed anything & I may well not do so & I'll be more than happy just to look. 2.05 I've two in this race. Fencing won FTO last season at this level & then ran decent enough races upped in class, hasn't been seen since Glorious Goodwood but the yard are going ok on the aw & he should be ready for this. The other one is Guest of Honour who has a similar profile in that he won a Windsor Listed race before being upped in class & not disgraced, again the yards going well enough & he should go well here. 2.40 The main hope is Jack Dexter who won this race & another C&D Listed event last year. He's got a penalty this time but so has his main rival Tropics & most of the rest would look like handicappers trying to nab some black type. The exception could be Maureen who's a 4yo & could still be improving but she's back in trip here having run over 7f's & a mile all last term. Jack Dexter is still open to more progress & he has his ground today as well. 3.15 The two against the field in the Spring Mile are Brae Hill & Global Village. Brae Hill won the Lincoln two years ago & was just held in the race last year, he's not made the cut this time but on that form he's well in here for the consolation race & while he might like it a bit faster it was soft last year. Global Village was also in the three way photo for last years Lincoln & is 2lbs lower here, a run in the trial race at Wolverhampton should have blown the cobwebs off. 3.50 The pair for the Lincoln its self are One Word More & the appallingly named Gabrial's Kaka. Ok he's an over rated Brazilian footballer but from where I'm from it means something else & I think the naming committee ought to have had a word with Mahwan when he asked for that name, maybe they did? Anyway the horse doesn't know he's s£&t, in fact he's more than useful with the 2nd at York LTO to Seek Again who's since won a Grade 1 in the States a very tidy bit of form & he ought to go well here from a decent draw in 16. One Word More ran cracker here at the Leger meeting at a furlong less & then probably had had enough on his last start afterwards. Seems to go well fresh & is drawn in the middle so he can go either way. That's it for Donny but over at Meydan I'm on Cavalryman to repeat last year's win in the 1.45. The extra trip in the 2.25 might stretch Long John & O'Brien has a good record in this so I'm on Giovanni Boldini. Shea Shea can land the 3.03 again & the 9f's might not be far enough for the Fugue at 4.39 so I'll have the Jap raider Just a Way. The Donny bet is four Trixie's to a point plus 6 x 2pt singles with two added 1pt doubles to cover all the possible doubles, it's not a full perm but if I get three winners it's evens they line up or I get at least three doubles instead. Bets. Fencing 3/1, Guest of Honour 9/2 Global Village 12/1, Brae Hill 10/1 Gabrial's Kaka 7/1, One Word More 12/1 30pts staked as above Stan James BOG. Jack Dexter 35pts @ 9/4 Bet365 BOG. Cavalryman 11/4 Giovanni Boldini 11/4 Shea Shea 11/8 Just a Way 7/2 1 pt Lucky 15 Totesport BOG. ?Rio.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Running a bit late this morning so short & to the point. I have a main bet & an each way lucky 15 for this afternoons Doncaster card. 1.40 Karaka Jack likes the track & won a division of this race off 3lb higher two years ago along with a C&D handicap last season, had a run at Southwell early in the month to blow the cobwebs off. 2.15 Justonefortheroad is a stone lower than when an excellent 4th in the Lincoln last year & is chucked in on some of his old form, goes well fresh & on the ground. 2.45 I'll probably have a play in this maiden when I've had a look at them beforehand. 3.20 I saw Flyman win on his 2yo debut at York & while he didn't win as a 3yo he ran some good races in a bit better company than today, the final start over C&D on similar ground was fair form & he should go well today. 3.55 I can't let this pass without comment, yet again another race with reasonable prize money, a Listed race so black type on offer & there are now just four runners, the next owner/trainer to bleat about the level of prize money in this Country should be put up against a wall & shot! Well done Nicky Henderson for having a go at nabbing some decent flat money, it might not be well done though should Dawalan win the 3.00 at Ascot having been well backed & making a no show in the Fred Winter! 4.30 Andrew Balding's are going well & Field of Fame is the main hope today having won his only start on heavy at Sailsbury last backend, the step up to 10f's should suit. 5.00 I had gone with Future Security in this but it seems he's now a non runner. Bets. Karaka Jack 10/1 Justonefortheroad 11/2 Flyman 15/2 Future Security N/R 0.5pt ew lucky 15 Betvictor BOG. Field of Fame 25pts @ 3/1 Hills BOG. ?Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Ok then a three day round up starting with Wetherby. Things were looking good with Nesterenko winning the first despite making it look like hard work from the last & then Indian Voyage followed up in the next. The impossible looking handicap hurdle was won by Bescot Springs for the Mirror Punters Club these days, he used to be a Timeform/Betfair horse & his best run for us was probably his first start in an Haydock bumper back in November 09 which was before I started this thread, he came 2nd that day to a certain Peddler's Cross but was sold the following Summer. Anyway now I need Foundation Man to land the multiple bet. It's "Wear a hat day" in aid of brain tumor research & heading round to the front for the race I buy some raffle tickets. He's well backed & makes the running & he's jumping well, turning off the long last bend he's being driven but he responds gamely & soars over the fourth, third & second last fences. He's 3l's up coming to the last from My Idea but he makes a right pig's ear of it & nearly unships Richie McLernon who does well to stay on but he's lost vital momentum & up the run in My Idea gets past him, he tries to fight back but is beaten a neck, bugger!!! Would he have won if he'd jumped it? Yes I think so. McLernon steadied up up coming to the last, should he have fired him into it? Probably but if he had done & he hit the deck would I be thinking he should have steadied up? Yes but at least I got a run from him & we live to fight another day. Having popped back round to look at them for the next they've just finished presenting the prizes when they announce they're going to draw the raffle. There's a few prizes & I have an early miss & then I'm nowhere near until Graham Orange says "Here's the last one, blue 713" Whay ay that's me, what have I won? Only two tickets to next Saturdays Grand National!!! So what I need now is two things, Rock a Doodle Doo to win the next & some advice & what's the best place to park over there, I don't mind a walk & I will be going early so if anybody can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful. Rock a Doodle Doo runs 2nd but has no chance with Watt Broderick who eases to the front three out & wins by 6l's. I decide to leave at this point & I'm heading off the track & there's one bloke having a right rant because he'd backed Watt Broderick on the Monday but not today, oh dear. The two winners return 17.33pts for the 10pts staked with no return from the 15pt single. Doncaster Lincoln day. This is more like it, going racing & the sun is out, 2yo's to look at & no last fences to negotiate. Mowgli's with me & we go for a look at the 2yo's in the pre parade, I'm quite taken with number 7 which turns out to be Flyball which when we wander back to the main ring is vying for favouritism with the one he's thinking of backing, Escalating. When we'd gone round that one had been 7's & it ends up 9/2f so he leaves it alone, I have a bit on Flyball at 5/1 & watch it run a decent 3rd having gone 6/1, Escalating is a poor 7th. Mowgli's happy after the next because he's on Graphic who leads at 3f's out & holds on from Fencing by a neck but he was never getting there. Guest of Honour is well backed to 11/4jtf & well stuffed back in 4th. Not the best start. It gets worse when Jack Dexter is rather a let down in a one paced 3rd having also been well supported, Mowgli's feeling a bit let down too because he's got him in a single & a double with Graphic. Brae Hill cheers me up though by winning the Spring Mile, although I did think that he'd hit the front too soon & would get nabbed close home. Mowgli's backed the 2nd & is muttering under his breath a bit when the exacta is declared at £242 & change because we have had the odd go at that in the past but not today :eyes One Word More plays up in the gate before the Lincoln & gets withdrawn not under orders so a return of stakes there. Gabriel's Kaka :unsure hits the front at 3f's out to get me shouting but he can't hold on & comes 6th. Having had a look at them for the maiden race I like Hymanaios who's probably the form pick too & I have a bet at 2/1 which is a price I wasn't expecting. Mowgli backs Cape Caster who walks out of the stalls, is rather keen at the back & then finishes like a train for 2nd & looks a penalty kick for a maiden in the next few weeks. I'm pleased to say that Hymanaios gets the job done in decent style. That was it for Doncaster but over at Meydan Cavalryman was flying at the death but just failed to get there. Giovanni Boldini was a never nearer 4th & Shea Shea finished well but couldn't get there either. No such problem for Just a Way though who skated home by 6l's+ to get a return from that bet. 8pts back from Meydan & with one of the trixie doubles becoming a single after One Word More was withdrawn that effectively became a 3pt single on Brae Hill returning 33pts & 2pts return of stake for the non runner meant 43pts back from 80pts staked. Doncaster Sunday. Similar weather but no Mowgli today. Karaka Jack was a never dangerous 7th in the opener with Justonefortheroad also out with the washing in 10th in the next. The betting for the 3yo maiden seemed to revolve around my mate Hamdan's Marmoom but he was getting into a right lather & while it was warm it wasn't that hot. I wasn't too keen on the Gosden debutante either & then we get one of those missed a trick moments. Also having a first start was David O'Meara's That is the Spirit which had been reported as having been well backed, however I'd run into another racing club member who said that he'd been told on the stable visit that while they liked the horse he'd probably need a run. I'm trying to decide if he's looking fit enough or not & I think he might need it so I leave him alone. He makes all, quickens up well at the furlong pole & wins readily at 6/1 & there as some 7's about, bugger!!! Still I don't have to wait long for a result because Flyman wins the 6f sprint to cheer me up :D Area Fifty One takes the gutless Gatewood at the 2f pole to land the best part of £13k for champion national hunt trainer Nicky Henderson in the feature race & his Dawalan comes 10th of the 11 to finish down at Ascot having once again been well backed. Now comes a mystery. I'm heading for the pre parade & the boards have Field of Fame at 9/4, when I get there the bloke I saw earlier is looking at the odds on Betfair & he's 3.4. However there's no sign of him in the pre parade & when I head back round to the front & the main ring he's gone on all the bookies boards & is a non runner. Why? No idea, never heard it announced, nowt on the BHA site, total mystery. I watch the race & the one after where I also have a non runner & then head for home. The lucky 15 returned 19.88pts for 15pts staked. The posted bets across the three days returned 80.21pts for 120pts staked. Singles etc W/R 4-20 Stakes 308pts Returns 177pts Profit/Loss -131pts Multiple bets Stakes 263.25pts Returns 247.61pts Profit/Loss -15.64pts Expenses £520 Nesterenko Nesterenko_zpsddd284f9.jpg Indian Voyage IndianVoyage_zps7dfbaf5f.jpg Brae Hill BraeHill_zpse2e5390e.jpg Ocean Tempest OceanTempest_zps398e3a7e.jpg Hymenaios Hymenaios_zpsccacd28e.jpg That is the Spirit ThatistheSpirit_zpsa28ca694.jpg Flyman Flyman_zps29873504.jpg Area Fifty One Area51_zpsad2589c8.jpg Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary With most of the bookies going NRNB & just the final decs to come this would seem to be the ideal time to chuck a few darts at Saturday's National. I have six picks & have backed each one win only to return around the same should an arrow hit the target. In Betting order then... 1. Monbeg Dude. Welsh National winner from January last year & won a Grade 3 at Cheltenham in December. Never looked like getting into the race when joint favourite for the Grimthorpe & I'm surprised (or maybe not) the stewards didn't have a word after that race, they certainly will should he score on Saturday. Nice racing weight at 10-9, stays well & generally jumps ok, if the clown on him doesn't fall off early he should go well. 2. Rocky Creek. Kept for this instead of the Gold Cup after slightly disappointing at Cheltenham in January but the ground was dreadful that day & the 2nd in the Hennessy is smart form. Jumps well & should stay & it's interesting that Noel Fehily rides when he looked sure to be on Teaforthree after that one ran a cracker under him at Ascot in February off the same mark. 3. Pineau de Re. Won a decent chase at Exeter two runs back & then looked a little unlucky in the Pertemps final after when a strong finishing 3rd. The worry is the jumping & he fell at the 8th in the Becher in December but I can see him getting hunted round at the back for a long way & if he can stay upright he should be running on late. 4. Night in Milan. He's number 44 so he needs 4 to come out but if he gets in I can't back Monbeg Dude & not him after the Grimthorpe run where he won well off the same mark as here. He generally jumps well & ought to stay the trip & the ground will suit. 5. Last Time D'Albain. Staying on 3rd in last year's Topham & looks to have been aimed at this with just three runs since. Usually jumps well & on a nice weight but may go for the Topham again. 6. Rose of the Moon. Can't leave him out after seeing him at the stable's last week but he was also quite impressive when winning at Wetherby in January & he got round when 10th in December's Becher. I'll probably have a perm on the exacta on the day. Bets. Monbeg Dude 6pts @ 16/1 Bet365. Rocky Creek 5pts @ 20/1 Bet365. Pineau de Re 5pts @ 20/1 Bet365. Night in Milan 2.5pts @ 40/1 Skybet. Last Time D'Albain 2pts @ 50/1 Skybet. Rose of the Moon 1.5pts @ 66/1 Coral. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Two races from my list tomorrow & as I'm out & about in the morning I've done my betting this evening. One race is the Aintree hurdle where the New One really ought to win but is not my price at 2/5ish. The other contest is the Betfred Bowl however before then I've had a bet in the 4yo Anniversary hurdle where I've gone for Activial. On the face of it he looks to have a bit to find with his Newbury conqueror Calipto who beat him just over 3l's there on Activial's stable/hurdle debut & therefore the Triumph 3rd Guitar Pete who was a place in front of Calipto there but he'd broken a stirrup leather two out which hindered his chance, I'd expect Calipto to beat Guitar Pete this time. Fox Norton won a Grade 2 at Donny in December when I was there but he only just beat Broughton who's in here & was well held in the Triumph. Activial won in good style at Kempton where he looked a big improving sort & I think there's more to come, he swerved the Triumph to wait for this because the track should suit him better than Cheltenham. The Betfred Bowl looks between Dynaste, Silviniaco Conti & First Lieutenant. The latter won this last year but missed Cheltenham late on & hasn't always looked the most resolute & it rather fell in his lap somewhat last year when Silviniaco Conti ran a bit flat after his Gold Cup fall. He didn't fall this year but had a hard race up the hill & might just not be 100% again, if he is he should win on the King George form where Dynaste was behind but then again Dynaste wasn't right that day & on the Betfair Chase form at Haydock Dynaste was in front of Silvinaco. Dynaste won the Mildmay novices over C&D last year after running well at Cheltenham & he looked right back to his best when landing the Ryanair three weeks ago & he's the pick. Bets. Activial 20pts @ 4/1 Bet365 BOG. Dynaste 35pts @ 2/1 Totesport BOG. ?Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary A somewhat disappointing day all round, starting when I put the box on having been running around in the morning to see Activial on the slide & out to 11/2. Sometimes you get the sense of the inevitable, this isn't going to win, he didn't, he was never really traveling & I'd given up on him going down the back, if not before. The problem then is the negative frame of mind kicks in, I'm sat thinking Dynaste isn't going to win either, he didn't but at least he didn't drift & he ran alright but I knew at the last that Silvinaco Conti was going to win this time & despite the worrying wobble around again he did. Am I getting fed up of backing a horse & it gets beat & then wins next time out? Yes the short, polite answer. Will I ever cross to the pink side? I could have laid Dynaste for a bet to nothing & I really must drag myself into the 21st century at some point. The money buyers must have been having kittens when the New One looked like he was getting caught, so did Sam Twist by the look on his face too. I have to say it again, there are many that knock the other Sam but Mr Waley-Cohen gave Warne an absolute peach of a ride from the front in the Foxhunters & the taking a pull at three out to get a breath in the horse before kicking clear again was a masterful effort & you do not get round this course the number of times he has without being able to ride, even if the fences are not as hard these days. Nothing back from 55pts. Singles etc W/R 4-22 Stakes 363pts Returns 177pts Profit/Loss -186pts Multiple bets Stakes 263.25pts Returns 247.61pts Profit/Loss -15.64pts Expenses £520 The sole race of interest betting wise tomorrow is the Melling Chase at 3.05 which rather has the feel of an 11 runner handicap with the betting being 5/1 the field & not the Grade 1 level weight race that it really is. Only Pepite Rose carries other than 11-10 because she gets the 7lb sex allowance & I don't think she's up to this class. I rather think Module was flattered by the 3rd in the Queen Mum & he might want it really testing anyway & while rain is forecast not that much surely. Rajdhani Express is another that I can't get right, if I have a penny on him he runs like his legs are tied together, I've not backed him so he'll probably hose up, but is he up to this at that price on what he's done so far? Wishfull Thinking should be held by Module on QM running & while he was 2nd in this two years ago he isn't getting any younger. Which Ballynagour is going to turn up? The one that romped home in the Byrne Group Plate three weeks ago or the one that flopped in that race last year after looking a big improver on his first start over here from France & then disappointing again in the Paddy Power. Boston Bob ran alright back over fences in the Ryanair after a spell back hurdling but he's just as likely to tip up as win & he's only as short as he is because Mullin's trains him. The interesting one at the prices is Days Hotel. He won a three runner Grade 2 LTO & on some of his previous form he wouldn't have to find a lot to get competitive in this & the step up in trip on better ground than he's usually running on could see him improving a bit here. At the price he's worth an ew on a low key day betting wise. Bet. Days Hotel 5pts ew @ 14/1 Stan James BOG. ?Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary

Will I ever cross to the pink side?
207891426_773fe934b5-gratuitousscience-dot-com.jpg :loon :loon :loon Should I be worried for Saturday? Good luck for tomorrow. PS: "Am I getting fed up of backing a horse & it gets beat & then wins next time out?" Clondaw Kaempfer wins tomorrow. :ok

207891426_773fe934b5-gratuitousscience-dot-com.jpg :loon :loon :loon Should I be worried for Saturday? Good luck for tomorrow. PS: "Am I getting fed up of backing a horse & it gets beat & then wins next time out?" Clondaw Kaempfer wins tomorrow. :ok
Is he wearing one black shoe & one white shoe, that is rather silly & spoils a natty outfit :loon Actually I didn't back Clondaw Kaempfer last time, just the three runs before so it doesn't always work :eyes What worries me is Cheltenian is running in that race & it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest were that to run well having lumbered the beast with my few bob LTO. Perhaps I should try a reverse exacta? Hang on though looking at the picture above gives me an idea, I might have a go at the swinger. All together now "Oooo Matron"

Following last evenings post I have to have a bet on Cheltenian & also a go at the swinger :unsure Bets. Cheltenian 10pts @ 11/1 Betvictor BOG. 2pt swinger, Cheltenian & Clondaw Kaempfer. ?Rio.
If you saw that on a TV programme you'd sit there shaking your head saying who are they trying to kid. It's not just that Clondaw Kaempfer wins as Mystic Mowgli predicted it's the manner of the win & how Cheltenian manages not to get placed. Clondaw is up near the pace while Cheltenian is held up, between the last two flights He cruises into the lead while Clondaw looks done with but I'm hoping he may get 3rd. Cheltenian makes a Horlicks of the last & goes from cruising to struggling in two strides & Caid du Berlais passes him, ok well at least I've got 2nd & 3rd. Hang on Clondaw Kaempfer is rallying & he gets up close home but at least I've got 1st & 3rd except in the last few yards Cheltenian just about stops & gets run out of 3rd. You could not make it up & I want locking up :wall:wall Days Hotel checks out early in the Melling Chase, ay oh. Just to put the tin hat on it Flyball the 2yo I backed in the Brocklesby last Saturday wins down at Leicester, did I back it? No. Singles etc W/R 4-24 Stakes 383pts Returns 177pts Profit/Loss -206pts Multiple bets Stakes 265.25pts Returns 247.61pts Profit/Loss -17.64pts Expenses £520 I'm away very early to Aintree tomorrow. Of the six National bets posted Night in Milan as failed to make the cut but the stake is returned as a NRNB. The main hopes are Monbeg Dude & Rocky Creek & I have backed both in the Betfair place only market. I have one serious bet for tomorrow which is Zarkandar in the 2.50. I'm not a fan of At Fishers Cross & I think this is Zarkandar's track, he's won twice here & was going well when he fell on his other course run & he seemed to be closing at the finish at Cheltenham. Melodic Rendezvous is well up in trip & seems best on soft/heavy. The unknown quantity is Whisper who won the Coral Cup LTO, the rest look out of it. I'm settling for that at the moment I may have a small multiple bet before I set off on some of the other races. Bets. Monbeg Dude 10pts @ 5.2 Rocky Creek 8pts @ 6.2, both to place. Zarkandar 50pts @ 7/2 split between Betvictor & Coral BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary A couple of trixie's with extra on the singles. In the opener I'm with Volnay de Thaix who was quite impressive LTO & Wilde Blue Yonder who can further enhance the Supreme form. Balder Succes missed Cheltenham to wait for the Maghull & jumps well. Unioniste is two from two at the track & can defy top weight on better ground than when running 3rd LTO & also missed Cheltenham to wait for this meeting. Volnay de Thaix 8/1 & Wilde Blue Yonder 9/2 Balder Succes 4/1 Unioniste 7/1 Perm for 2 x 1pt trixie's + 4pt singles on each = 24pts staked. Time to get ready Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary I was a little apprehensive about yesterday, first of all getting parked up somewhere, then what would the course be like with 70k+ people on it & then getting away after but it the end it was really good & pretty much a spot on day out. The plan was get away early so I'm at Mowgli's at 8am. The trip across the M62 & then M57 is uneventful & we make excellent time, so much so that we are passing the course on the A59 at 9-15 so where to park? The trackside parking is for pre-booked labels only so that's a no go but I have been doing a spot of googling & have a cunning plan. About a couple of miles away is Aintree University Hospitial which has a stack of carparks so we head there & at 9-30 we are in parked up, not a problem on a Saturday, loads of room & £5.50 all day. A steady walk back in a light drizzle & we are about halfway when we come across a cafe which looks nice & clean so it's in there for a fuel up. Decent bacon sarnie & a seriously good cup of coffee, probably the best I've ever had in such an establishment actually & then back out for the rest of the walk in a good frame of mind. I must say though that the good folk of this area don't seem to take the dogs out for a walk it's more for something else & we must have done an extra half mile weaving round the dog turds. Still we arrive at the entrance unscathed & are straight in, 10-30 is a bit early but at least we are here. Mowgli's not been here for a while & we have a wander while the crowd is sparse so he can take in the layout. We go down on the rail by the chair & take a few shots, later it will be heaving here & it will be a spot to avoid. The drizzle kicks in again & it's like this all day on & off so we head under the Princess Royal Stand for a bit where we both decide to have a stab at the placepot. He does 32 lines but I'm thinking I need a bit more cover & end up with 96 lines :eek The rain stops so it's out for another look round & it's getting busier now. There's a small marquee with some of the trophies in from previous Nationals so it's in there for a look. The Victorian's were of the "Big is beautiful" mindset, the trophy for the 1897 winner Manifesto is huge & one suspects the owner might have done himself a mischief hoisting that monstrosity up. Much the best is the small golden globe given to the owner of the 1967 winner Foinavon, unfortunately there's a bit of a crush on in here & taking pictures is a non starter. Round past the original chair from the side of the fence named after it & into the Red Rum garden which has large marquee's on it & Rummy appears to be looking somewhat mystified by the disco lighting above his head. Round then to sort out the best viewing spot for the day & we decide the pick is in front of the Lord Sefton stand which is on the bend away from the winning post & where the runners pull up after a race. The view is head on down the track but even from the other stands all you can see of the Grand National course are the last couple of fences, the chair & the water jump. From here you can slip round the side of the stand & up some steps to the pre parade & parade rings & there's a flat roof which provides a nice view over the parade ring & all day it never seemed to get packed. There's a parade of previous winners & then a punters panel consisting of a bloke from Betfred, Newsboy of the Mirror & Gina from C4 although I think she was working for Aintree TV on this occasion. Whoever it was they're clearly not paying the poor girl enough because she's wearing the same coat that she had on at the Lincoln meeting last week. Having had a look at the field for the first we take up a spot to watch. I've got Volnay de Thaix & Wilde Blue Yonder in my multiple & have added Oscar Hoof to the pair for the placepot because Geraghty's on that one & Mowgli has the Henderson duo in his. Off they go & Volnay makes a rick of one down the back & loses his place & never gets into it. Oscar Hoof tips up when been ridden three out & takes a while to get up but does so. Wilde Blue Yonder's not winning but looks nailed on for 3rd & then does a Cheltenian & gets nutted on the line & is 4th. 96 chuffing lines & I can't get past the first leg, Mowgli's out too & we are downcast, Lac Fontana wins the race. 40 minutes or so later & we are both cheered up by Balder Succes who puts in another good round of jumping, leads at the second last & scoots clear on the run in, off & running then. Back down goes the rollercoaster in the next. Zarkandar makes the running with At Fishers Cross but I don't think they go too fast which is backed up by the quite slow time for the race. Zarkandar is done with though at two out, Mowgli's on Melodic Rendezvous but he's chucked the towel in before the turn into the straight. This leaves At Fishers Cross dueling with Whisper up the run in & despite the fact that this one's got himself into a right old lather before the race he gets on top to win. I have to say that I wouldn't trust this form at all. Chin's on the floor again & it gets no better in the next. Mowgli's backed Victor Hewgo but he's on the slide out to 5/1 which is a price I might have been interested in had he been that in the morning. He doesn't jump at all well & James Reveley is after him very early & he pulls up with over a circuit to go. I'm on Unioniste & while he gets round in 8th he's not much better, oh dear. Interestingly the stewards decide to ask about the run of Unioniste but not the one of the drifting favourite Victor Hewgo. Next up is the big one & after a look at them in the pre parade & main rings it's back round the front where I decide to go up the terrace a bit while Mowgli's on the rail. There's a false start but they get away the second time although Battle Group refused to go with them. I've got five running for me & Mowgli has Rocky Creek & Double Seven at a good price ante post. Tidal Bay unseats when hampered at the canal turn, Long run hits the deck when up near the lead at Valentine's & Teaforthree exits at the chair meaning three of the fancied ones are out on the first circuit. Of mine Last Time D'Albain unseats at the first Becher's. Rose of the Moon is running a screamer up near the pace until blundering at the second Foinavon & then falling at the 26th, he's broken a blood vessel & I hope he's ok :hope Monbeg Dude finishes a never nearer 7th having been held up at the back, these hold up rides look great when they work don't they :eyes Rocky Creek is always up there & takes it up four out & is looking good but he is headed at two out & plugs on to get 5th. But I'm cheering Leighton Aspell on over the last two & up that long run in & Pineau De Re does the business by 5l's from Balthazar King with Double Seven 3rd & Alvarado 4th. Mowgli knows I'm on Rocky Creek & that I've actually topped the bet up a bit & looks at me ruefully when I join him at the rails "Thought we'd got that when he took it up" He says, I agree. "Not many will have backed that" he says, I can't help the little wink. He's got his each ways & I've got the winner & Bet365 were going BOG when I backed him so I get the full odds too. It thins out a bit now & I haven't had a bet in the last two. Mowgli's backed the two J P McManus runners in the next, Bold Henry's been off for 507 days though but Drumlee looks worth a bit ew at 14/1 with the promising Ger Fox on top. The pair of them are always in rear, never get in the race & run shockers, the G&T brigade say nothing but have got there knickers in a twist because the jocks had tried to go too early in the National & when the assistant starter had tried to stop them he's been knocked over. It seems they were going to have another chat after racing but can't because all the jocks have left & they've been reported to headquarters for leaving without permission, whoops. I've had enough now but Mowgli has backed Aqalim & Clondaw Banker in the bumper. These are the pair that we had between us down at Kempton & we go round to a now almost deserted parade ring for a look. If I had any thought of backing Aqalim again I've haven't now because he is playing up big style & is bucking & kicking all the way round like he's got a wasp under the saddle. O'Reagan mounts him on the track by which time he is awash & heads for the start with his feet out of the irons. Both race up there but Clondaw Banker drops away 3f's out, Aqalim plugs on though & manages to run on again & get 3rd for Mowgli's ew. Now that was a seriously good run after playing up like that & I'd back that in the future but I'd want to wait until the last seconds, I don't remember him acting up at Kempton & maybe it was a one off? Time to go & when we get out to head back for the car we can see the road is closed so how do we get back to the M57? Ask a Policeman or in this case a Policewomen & very good she was too, basically turn right instead of left & follow the road, spot on, in fact it was easier than going the way we had come & in no time we were back on the road home, didn't even use the sat nav. A good day all round then, would I go again? Yes if I could get a ticket like the one I won which got us everywhere but the upper levels in the stands but I have no idea how much they cost, not cheap I suspect. The stake on the posted bets was 88pts, the return with the BOG was 130pts. The multiple returned 20pts from 24pts staked. Singles etc W/R 5-32 Stakes 471pts Returns 307pts Profit/Loss -164pts Multiple bets Stakes 289.25pts Returns 267.61pts Profit/Loss -21.64pts Expenses £550 I shall probably be at Ponty on Tuesday next. The Chair Chair_zps9a79cba7.jpg Disco Rummy DiscoRummy_zps2ea6487d.jpg McCoy looks chuffed after winning on Lac Fontana LacFontana_zps1c9d06e7.jpg Balder Succes BalderSucces_zps982ea589.jpg Whisper Whisper_zps16339c21.jpg Tidal Bay in the pre parade TidalBay_zps818fbdff.jpg Walkon Walkon_zps693ce375.jpg Rocky Creek RockyCreek_zpsef78cb31.jpg View from the roof Roof_zps7cafc49d.jpg Pineau De Re PineaudeRe_zpsbf80cbb1.jpg Presentation Time Presentationtime_zps442395a8.jpg Court Minstrel CourtMinstrel_zpsf196b1f5.jpg Finish in the gloom Ridersinthegloom_zps52901868.jpg Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary A new day dawn's, Pontefract's season begins & I take my first venture to the pink side!!! The going today is good to soft, soft in places & there are a few non runners. One has come out of the first, a mile handicap leaving 13 runners which includes the shade of odds on Life and Times which is the subject of my first ever lay on a horse on Betfair. Life and Times had one run for Godolphin in July 2010 when a reasonable 4th in a 7f Newbury maiden & then slipped off the radar for the best part of three years until turning up at Market Rasen last May in a maiden hurdle for John Ferguson where he was a 37l 3rd. Moved on again he then went to Mark Johnston where he had four turf runs in a month & a half the best of which was a just over a length 3rd in a Newcastle egg & spoon maiden. He returned at the end of March to win an ordinary class 5 handicap at Wolves & then went back there on Saturday to win a weaker class 5 for which he carries a 6lb pen today. The form of the last two runs is nothing special, his turf form is ordinary at best, he has a penalty & top weight & is stuck out wide in stall 12. Ok the penny may have dropped & he might just dot up but this is a much harder race & should he be 10/11? Me thinks not, take him out & you have a wide open race, at the best prices it's 11/1 bar the jolly & he needs taking on & normally I'd just take something against him but it's time I moved into the 21st century & I'm dipping my toe into the laying pool. I'm also backing one against him which is Mixed Message. This one has soft ground form & should get the strong pace she needs & is drawn well in 1. The promising Megan Carberry takes off 7lb which puts Mixed Message on a nice mark & I'm hoping the first time paint rollers have a positive effect. The 2.40 is a watch only but I've had a go at the 3.10 with Khalice who I saw run well here on debut last June & when she won twice at Ripon in August & one of those wins was on good to soft. Her last start was a not disgraced midfield finish in the big sales race at the St Leger meeting & there could be more to come from her this season. The 3.40 is the race where I saw Hidden Justice dot up last year & I'm hoping that John Quinn can repeat the trick with Calculated Risk today. He won a soft ground handicap off 6lb less than today at 1m 5f & in this grade last September & then ran a good race at that trip at Musselburgh on much faster ground & at two grades higher off 7lb more. Since then he's been hurdling & won at Sedgefield on Boxing Day on soft but was then out of his depth in the Coral Cup but at least that will have dusted off the cobwebs. Ground suits, trip shouldn't be a problem & the booking of Ryan Moore catches the eye, he's not my usual sort of price price but can pay for the petrol. The 4.15 is an interesting race with the good looking Zip Wire back on the flat, Las Verglas Star who was 3rd in this off 4lb higher last season, Easy Terms is a C&D winner & is on a fair mark. Amralah looks unexposed & was highly tried on his last start, Centurius hasn't really gone on from his debut win & Sennockian Star is easing a bit in the weights after a good year last season. I'll have a go with the useful Romantic Settings who was a fine 2nd in the Musidora last May & ran quite well in better races than this after. She was last of four in a Listed race at Donny on her return but that was too far at 12f's & she ought to go better here with Ryan Moore also on top. Bets. Mixed Messages 12/1. Khalice 10/1. Romantic Settings 8/1. 3 x 2pt ew singles, 1pt ew trixie = 20pts. Calculated Risk 20pts @ 13/8, all with Hills BOG. Lay Life and Times @ 1.96 to return 10pts. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary I'm annoyed, no actually I'm very annoyed, actually I'm absolutely steaming but I'll come to that in a minute. Things started off quite well, I enter the carpark (golf course) through the small gate round the rear of the course these days & park up just off the dirt track that crosses one of the fairways, it's easier to get away from here than the main parking area (field) because while they guide you in it's a free for all getting out & can be a nightmare. As I get near to where I usually park I can see a car at an odd angle, he's gone across a boggy spot & got stuck, care is needed here. The space next to an already parked car looks a bit chewed up so I reverse off the track onto a better looking patch leaving a gap between me & the parked car & hop out to check & I look fine. I'm just eating a sarnie when another bloke rolls up, eyes the space I've left up & down & then tries to reverse in, he gets halfway & the front wheels start to spin. He manages to ease forward again & I'm thinking he's thought better of it when he slams it into reverse again & backs up at a rate of knots & this time just about gets off the track but in the process all four wheel disappear into the mud. He's still not happy & tries to go forward again but he's going nowhere & in fact is just making it worse, finally he realizes he's stuck & what does he do? He starts glaring at me. Oh yer you've fallen into my cunning trap you muppet, I left that space there knowing that some dickhead like you would get stuck, I glare back & we have a first class staring contest & I'm not losing this one, I win & he climbs out & stomps off to seek help, plonker. Having had my lunch I make my way onto the track. New for this season is Pontefract's Betfred/Tote betting hall which sounds rather grand, it's not. It's on the site of the old Tote building which had the Betfred shop on the end & was a right pokey little hole. It's about the same size as the old structure but the Tote windows are now on the side where you went in the old shop & the betting hall entrance is down the side where the Tote windows were. It's not much bigger than the old shop but at least it's a lot brighter & now they have a brighter little hole instead of a dingy one. There's an old building just beyond this with the boards still up on which they used to hoist up the runners & riders names & show the approximate odds with the old fashioned sliding thingy's, it's not been used for donkey's years & is an eyesore & I can't help but think the money would have been better spent doing up this building & using the space where the new one is for a seating area. There's just room inside for a coffee & cake counter, the four people staffing it are stood looking bored stiff, probably due to a lack customers which is undoubtedly down to the fact that you'd need to pop & see your bank manger for a mortgage first should you fancy a cup of java & a small bit of cake. The rest of Ponty is same as, out come the runners into the pre parade & then the main ring. The one I've laid Life and Times looks a bit light framed to me & not built for lugging big weights round, Joe Fanning appears & is legged up to go out early, I don't like this in a horse either. When I wander round the front he's 11/8 & on the slide & by the time I take up a spot by the rail he's 7/4, just before the off he hit's 2/1 & the SP is 15/8. He misses the break & drops in & then makes a bit of headway up the hill on the outside but as they approach the turn in at the 2f pole I can see he's struggling & he drops away tamely & walks home down the run in for last. Success but what an odd feeling watching a fancied horse run a stinker & being pleased about it, this could take some getting used to. The one I backed against him Mixed Message takes the gloss off by finishing just one place in front of him but at least she was put in the race & just wasn't good enough. The stewards are awake & seeing as Mark Johnston is present decide to have a word....

Mark Johnston, the trainer of LIFE AND TIMES (USA), unplaced, reported that the gelding was unsuited by the soft ground.
Munaaser looks the part for the maiden up next but is 8/15 when I go back round the front. He drifts to 4/6 & won't settle for Hanagan when they break, as they turn for home he's hit the front but they're stacked up behind him & he's swamped & is a well beaten 5th. He's in the Dante, the Derby & the Irish Derby & there are a few bubbles burst there & Hamdan can't blame me this time because I didn't back him. The winner is Champagne Rules at 100/1, there's a few blokes down from me & one of them as had a quid each way on & his mates are trying to get him to go to the bar, don't go to the coffee shop you'll have nowt left!! Khalice disappears without a trace in the next, I can see Calculated Risk opens at 7/4 before I pop round to count the legs. Having done so & headed back round I see he's now 2/1, Fitzwilly is vying with him for favourite & at one point they go joints at 2's before Calculated Risk just shades the market at 15/8 at the off. Now to why I'm annoyed. It's a 2m 2f race & the start is about a furlong & a half in front of the winning post & then it's a full circuit of just over 2m's. Away they go & by the time they past the lollipop for the first time there's already at least 15l's from Suprise Vendor to the backmarker. Down the hill & when they get to the bottom where the 1m 4f start is Suprise Vendor & Fitzwilly are at least 10l's clear of the rest & maintain this as they run parallel to the M62. Off the bottom bend & they start to climb & the rest have closed up just a bit but as they get to 3f's out they are still 6l's adrift & Jason Hart kicks on round the final bend & catches all bar Willie Twist on Fitzwilly asleep. Off the bend Ryan Moore gets Calculated Risk out & going but he's got at least a dozen lengths to make up in the last 2f's. I'm by the half furlong pole & as they pass he's eating into the lead, the bloke next to me shouts "Too effing late Moore" & he's right, Suprise Vendor holds on by three parts from Fitzwilly with another half back to Calculated Risk. He's made up over 10l's in the last 2f's & managed to get beat on the best horse in the race & yes I am talking through my pocket. When he comes back in Moore has a face like thunder, the only one with the horse is the lad, no trainer or owner & I'm wondering what they're thinking. For me it's not just Ryan Moore that's ridden a lousy race it's every last one of them on the nine of the 11 that laid too far out of their ground. I've looked at the time of the race & it's 29.61s below standard, I've converted all the race times to a mile & it's the slowest run race on the card per mile, apart from Willie Twist the whole lot of them have let Jason Hart have too much rope up front, set a steady pace & kick away late when they all had too much ground to make up. 10 out for 10 for Hart but a bit less than that for the rest & I'd like the stewards to have had the lot of them in & ask them what they were doing? For me not one of them as ridden their horse to achieve the best possible placing, simple as that but not a peep from the G&T brigade. I'm seriously unhappy now & consider leaving but I might as well stay for the next. At least Moore makes an effort on Romantic Settings because he's shoving away early but it's clear this one's not getting involved either. Now it is time to go. When I get back to my car I can see another one opposite me is stuck & looks to have what appears to be a fur stole under one of the wheels a a vain attempt to give it some traction, my glarey mates vehicle is still up to the wheel arches in the mud at the side of me. I hop in, fire her up & muttering a quick prayer I pull straight out onto the track for the best result of the day. Nothing from the 40pts posted. The lay returned 9.5pts after commission. I looked at Catterick today but the card is uninspiring to say the least & I need a few days to calm down, I would think Thirsk on Saturday would be next up. Singles etc W/R 5-33 Stakes 491pts Returns 307pts Profit/Loss -184pts Multiple bets Stakes 309.25pts Returns 267.61pts Profit/Loss -41.64pts Lays W/R 1-1 Profit/Loss +9.5pts Expenses £560 Life and Times LifeampTimes_zps38ed3a0e.jpg Munaaser Munaaser_zps9cf50aa8.jpg Champagne Rules ChampagneRules_zps0e768cef.jpg "Too effing late Moore" SupriseVendor_zps92197a9b.jpg Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Thirsk get their season underway with a competitive card today & a run out with Mowgli is the order of the day. I have a single & a couple of lucky 15's, one of which is a small ew. The single is down at Newbury in the 1.50 where I'm hoping Mutashaded can get me in the black before the Thirsk action kicks off. Having won a backend Yarmouth maiden in October 2012 Mutashaded returned with a good win in a Sandown handicap last May & then ran a cracking 3rd in the King Edward VII at Royal Ascot which was his last run. Looks the sort to make a good 4yo, goes on any ground, the trip will suit & he can make up for lost time in this Group 3. I'm not a fan of Noble Mission & the one to beat would look to be Astonishing who won a Listed Fillies & Mares when last seen in September but takes on the boys here. Thirsk 2.15 Klynch is still well handicapped despite a 5lb rise for a Southwell win LTO but has to give everything weight & is a bit skinny at around 3/1 for a race like this. The interesting one is right down at the bottom Roger Varian's Severiano. This one's still a maiden but has run quite well on the aw at further & tries dropping back to 6f's here in first time blinkers. On his one go on turf he was last at Newcastle at 7f's but was up there racing keen for a long way & while I wouldn't want the blinkers to light him up too much I can see this one bowling along up near the pace from a good high draw, he's worth sticking in the ew lucky 15. I'll probably back one in the maiden but want to have a look first. Newbury 2.55 Astaire may not be as effective going up in trip here as last year & Berkshire is the other way & is dropping back in distance which might not suit. Night of Thunder was impressive at Doncaster last October & is worth a hike in class but Kingman looked a high class colt in the making on his two runs last season & can return from the ankle chip operation here with a win on his way to better things. Thirsk 3.25 I'd gone for Trail Blaze here but I see he's now come out so this is a watching race now. 4.00 I'm with the Great St Wilfrid winner Baccarat in this, he goes well fresh, should handle the ground & has won at the trip. Pintura's giving them all 5lb & Bretton Rock & Captain Ramius might want it a good bit softer, Bertiewhittle has the advantage of recent runs but doesn't win very often. 4.35 This looks to be between the top weight Retirement Plan who has entries in the Yorkshire Cup & the Coronation Cup & Stomachion. Retirement Plan is up 12lb for a Goodwood handicap win last August & is clearly well thought of but giving 17lb to Stomachion might prove a tall order even if this one is bumped up a good bit in class & the ratings for winning a pair of class 5's last backend. He's very well bred & ought to like the step up to 1m 4f's here. 5.10 Eastern Impact has been off since Sandown last May where he was a good 3rd in a Listed race. He's reported fit & ready to go after injury & is expected to make up into a top sprint handicapper this season. 5.45 The pin's come out a bit for this one but I have backed Meandmyshadow before & she likes the track with two wins from three goes here, she's not won at this trip but ran well at it FTO last year at Doncaster & she goes on the ground. Bets. Mutashaded 25pts @ 7/2 Totesport BOG. Mutashaded 7/2 Kingman 7/4 Baccarat 4/1 Stomachion 7/2 1pt lucky 15 Paddy Power BOG. Severiano 10/1 Trail Blaze N/R Eastern Impact 3/1 Meandmyshadow 14/1 0.25pt ew lucky 15 Betvictor BOG. Dansili Dutch runs in a seller at Wolverhampton this evening, the thought is she's fit & should go well but looks to have a good bit to do to beat a few of these. Looking at the race I think One Scoop or Two should be winning this but I'm not having a bet on anything. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary I've waited a while before updating from Saturday to see if my mood has improved any, it hasn't That's the first time I've been racing & I've wanted to go home pretty much before the action had even started, by the time we set off back I was seriously fed up & I still am. Things started off alright with some decent grub in the pub up the road, from there it's a few minutes to the track & in through the Go Racing in Yorkshire entrance which brings you out by the weighing room & parade ring. The first downer was the weather, it was grey, windy & bloody freezing & looked like it could chuck it down at any moment, then there was the set up of the track facility wise. Now it's always been a trek from the parade ring to the stands at Thirsk, you have to go down the back of the main stand & either cut through the tunnel or trudge right round the end because unless you upgrade to a premier badge you can't go round the front of the stands near the parade ring. What I usually do is pop in the Betfred near the paddock & check the non runners & prices but you can't do this anymore because it's now the "Shrimp & Stirrup" a seafood & champagne bar for premier badges only. In fact it seems to me that if you don't have a premier badge then you are not really wanted at Thirsk. You can't get in the Woolpack bar, the Champagne bar that used to be the owners & trainers, the newish building that houses the new owners & trainers & the large lawn in front of it are also a no go. You need to be togged up to get in the Hambleton rooms & the new Thomas Lord "Dine & View" restaurant is definitely not for the ordinary racegoer. Basically you have the choice of the small cafe under the stand & the James Herriott hall which seeing as Mowgli had the other half & his little lad with him is no place to go because it is full of halfwits whose sole objective seems to be to get as drunk as possible & who can't open their mouths without every other word starting with F... While they took the little one through to the family area I wandered back down towards the parade ring & the large screen near the aforementioned lawn with the hope I might get to see the 1.50 at Newbury. What I got was a load of adverts for Tote betting which ended in just enough time for them to show the last 2f's of the Newbury race by which time Mutashaded was already beating a retreat & managed to beat one home prompting the stewards to have a chat...

The Stewards considered the running of MUTASHADED (USA), ridden by Paul Hanagan, and trained by Roger Varian, which finished unplaced. They noted the trainer could offer no explanation for the colt’s performance. They ordered MUTASHADED (USA) to be routine tested.
I've already had enough, I'm cold & I want to go home but head to the parade ring, I have my camera with me as usual be can't be bothered to take any pictures, my hands are frozen & I've lost interest in truth. Joining back up we trudge back round to the stands & through the tunnel which is full of people trying to get some warmth from the extractors for the kitchens which are throwing out a bit of heat. I'd expected Severiano to break quickly & be up there near the stands rail, he doesn't, he ends up midfield & running up the backs of those in front, he's still in midfield when he's switched out to the centre of the track & is stil in midfield when they pass the post. The one race I really want to look at them before is the 3yo maiden up next so I make an effort & trek back for a look. Royal Connoisseur has four legs & the head is on the right end, I trudge back round the front & strike a bet at 7/2. He breaks well & is near the lead, a furlong out & he goes clear with the favourite Red Pike & they get in a ding dong, 50 yards out & Royal Connoisseur puts his head in front & looks to be winning, then he falters & gets caught in a head bobber & I'm thinking I might just say bye bye & go get the train home. We stay on the stand & watch Kingman win the Greenham in style, I've backed a winner & I'm still down in the dumps, just to put the tin hat on it it's now raining. The one I'd backed in the next is a non runner & I can't be bothered to go round for a look. We watch the race which Farlow wins & then they put up the Newbury Spring Cup on the big screen. There's no commentary but the winner is in the Koukash colours, Mowgli looks at his Racing Post & informs me that it's Gabriel's Kaka which of course is the one I'd backed in the Lincoln LTO :eyes Two furlongs out & Baccarat looks to be cruising while Martin Lane is shoving away on Breton Rock, Tony Hamilton asks Baccarat to go & he doesn't, Breton Rock responds to Lane's urging & wins. The rain at least stops & we go to look at the field for the 1m 4f handicap. I'm on Stomachion but when I see him I'm wishing I wasn't, he's tiny & looks more like a 2yo. The best looking one is the jolly Retirement Plan, we trudge back round to the front again. Graham Lee is shoving away on Retirement Plan before the end of the back straight & he picks up a bit off the bend before being well beaten. Stomachion flatters a bit 3f's out & runs on one paced for 4th. The stand behind us empties a bit & then the wind gets up & blows hundreds of plastic beer glasses & losing betting slips over us, we decide we'll watch the next & go, mentally I've been gone since we got here. Eastern Impact beats two home & we beat a retreat which is a good job because Meandmyshadow finishes stone last of 16 in the next & I'm already thinking of jumping in the canal as it is. It takes an age to warm up in the car & I've already decided I'm not going to freeze to death at Wetherby on Sunday & instead will watch the Liverpool/Man City game. I had a brief look at the Pontefract fare on offer today & could summon not one jot of enthusiasm for it, I've had a quick look at Beverley on Wednesday & again I can't seem to get focused. I note that Dansili Dutch is declared for the last race, she didn't run at Wolverhampton on Saturday having got a vets certificate for a bruised foot, that's the last twice now that she's been taken out of a race she looked like she had no chance in & I wonder will she turn up? Will I? The non runner returned 0.5pts & Kingman 4.75 pts. Singles etc W/R 5-34 Stakes 516pts Returns 307pts Profit/Loss -209pts Multiple bets Stakes 331.75pts Returns 272.86pts Profit/Loss -58.89pts Lays W/R 1-1 Profit/Loss +9.5pts Expenses £570 ?Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary The sun is out & the mood is somewhat lighter so lets hope it stays that way as I head off to Beverley this afternoon sporting the owners head. Dansili Dutch is in the last & while I was going to go anyway I thought I might as well ask for an owners badge & I have been successful. Betting wise I have an interest in the the last four races at Beverley along with a couple at Newmarket & will probably play in the two divisions of the 2yo maiden at Beverley when I've had a look at them. 1.25 The opener is a seller & really ought to be won by Justonefortheroad who takes a right drop in class here but he's shown very little since a good 4th in the Lincoln last year & hasn't run well in both starts this season. At the price he's not a bet but then he's not a lay either seeing as I'm still feeling my way with that & looking for one to take him on with it would probably be Juvenal who's now left the Hannon stable after a poor year last term & also has risks attached. I think I'll just watch. Two divisions of the 2yo maiden next & then a 5f handicap which contains my old mate Bondesire who's well drawn & might be worth an ew but I want to see if I can spot the lad from the racing club & see what he thinks about her chance. Newmarket 3.30 Parbold has top weight in the Free handicap having scored at York FTO & then running well in Group 2's afterwards. Shifting Power won a maiden & then a novice event in good style on the July course in early August despite looking a bit green & wasn't seen after. Mushir is also two from two & the latter of those was a Listed race at York, he has a bit to find but I like the way he battles & I've gone with him. 3.40 Rock of Dreams has to give weight to them all here but seemed to improve after being gelded when winning his last start at Leicester last October & this looks a weak handicap. Flycatcher was a bit disappointing on her handicap debut at Warwick also last October but might improve for the layoff & Secret Suspect has been running alright on the aw & these two would look to be the main dangers. 4.15 Ujagar won well enough on handicap debut at this trip at Southwell LTO but has a 6lb pen for that & will he be as effective on turf. Blue Atlantic might show more upped to this trip but doesn't look bred for this far. One that does is Loch ma Naire who's by Galileo & she did ok last backend in maidens at 7 & 9f's & is on a fair mark for this step up to 1m 4f here. Newmarket 4.40 True Story hasn't been seen since a maiden win on the July course that month & could be anything. Somewhat is the form pick on the 2nd in the Royal Lodge & the run down the field when last seen in the Racing Post Trophy was probably down to the soft ground that day. Barley Mow ran quite well in the Grand Criterium on Arc day but not so well in a Listed race when 2nd of three 11 days ago at Lingfield. The interesting one here is Obliterator you Ger Lyons sends over from Ireland & who won a Curragh maiden in good style last September & could be anything (or nothing) & that's the one I've gone with. 4.50 Liberty Red won well enough at Kempton three weeks ago & was put up 3lbs for that which is fair enough. Emaad ended last season most disappointingly & can only be so short due to connections for me. Solidarity ran ok in a couple of handicaps after a maiden win in August & has been gelded over the Winter which I'm hoping brings some more improvement from him. 5.25 I have to say it's hard to fancy Dansili Dutch, she looks a couple of pounds above her winning mark & has disappointed in her last three starts. Thankyou Very Much deadheated for a 7f maiden here last June & won at Kempton off 2lb less when last seen in November & should go well. Imaginary World has been running well but looks a bit high in the ratings because of that. Ambella's had three runs on the polytrack at Kempton & doesn't look chucked in for a first go handicapping. The solid one looks to be Simply Shining who ran quite well in usually better races than this off higher marks last year & Samantha Bell takes off 5lb, a bit mercenary but she's the one I've backed in this. Bets. Rock of Dreams 11/4. Loch ma Naire 5/1. Solidarity 9/2. 1pt trixie + 3 x 2pt singles Bet365 BOG. Mushir 7/2. Obliterator 6/1 Siimply Shining SP 1pt trixie + 2 x 2pt singles Coral BOG. Simply Shining 2pts @ 6/1 Paddy Power BOG. 20pts staked. When I placed the bet last evening Coral had no odds for Simply Shining but were by far the best on Obliterator hence the SP in the trixie. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Ripon today so a two day round up probably tomorrow but I have to say I appear to have a dose of seconditis at the moment. 2yo's in the opener so a look is in order first. 2.30 Duke Cosimo was with Micheal Stoute & looked progressive early last season but then seemed to lose his way from late June onwards. Sold from Cheveley Park last month & then again early this month & now with David Barron who knows what to do but this ones hard to weigh up. Barkston Ash ran a good 3rd at Doncaster last month but just looks a few pounds too high. Lulu the Zulu also looks a tad high in the ratings & the draw puts her in the middle of the track. Right Touch looked another progressive sort last season & is still just a 4yo, I like the fact he's run well here before with a win in there because this is a quirky track. The close 3rd at York last September was a good run & not disgraced in the Ayr Bronze Cup when last seen, bit of a drop in class here & the draw in 6 is not bad. 3.40 Wall of Sound is most consistent & her only finish out of the places in six runs was when sent to France for a Listed race last August. She then won at this trip & class at Haydock in September for which she is up 6lbs & she ought to be involved. Maven is a pound higher than when winning a C&D handicap last August & ran a reasonable race on her return at Donny in March. The interesting one is King of the Danes who looked progressive early last season & dotted up at Goodwood in May & then went missing for four months before running fairly well in two better races than todays at Chester & York. He's been gelded over the Winter & is down a couple of pounds in a bit lower grade here & can go well. 4.15 Grevillea won well on her return at Windsor 10 days ago & runs here with a 6lb pen & is due to go up 9lb. Crystal Lake also won on his return in a reasonable 7f Kempton maiden & 75 looks a fair mark, the step up to a mile should help here & stable has a fair record at the track. Champagne Sydney won an egg & spoon Kempton maiden on his sole run & gets top weight for that. Snow Squall was a bit disappointing in four runs after a debut win. Newmarket 4.40 The key horse is the English 1000 guineas runner up & Irish version winner Just the Judge. If she runs to that form she isn't getting beat but after those two runs she was a fair 3rd in the Coronation at Ascot & then ran two bad races, albeit at Group 1 level in her final two starts. It could have been that she'd just gone over the top & may return firing again but a lot of the time when a filly loses her form it's gone & I'm suspecting the latter here. Mull of Killough won this with a 3lb pen last season & then racked up the air miles without a success, never better than midfield although in far better class at Meydan last month & just as likely to blob as run well. French Navy runs well fresh & this is just about his level, Danadana has to give them all weight. I'll give Fencing another go here, the run at Doncaster at a mile should have him spot on now & the extra furlong should suit. 4.50 I have this down to Waseem Faris, Expose & Willbeme. All Willbeme's wins have been on really fast ground & this might just not be quick enough for her. Expose won a couple on the aw over the Winter & is back down in class having not been disgraced in a better race at Lingfield. Waseem Faris ran well on his return at Windsor on Monday & is on a good mark, well drawn but usually held up so might need a bit of luck in running, Daniel Cremin takes off a usuful 3lbs. I'll probably stay for the 3yo maiden but will want a look at them first. Bet. Right Touch 4/1. King of the Danes 10/3. Crystal Lake 9/2. Fencing 4/1. Waseem Faris 7/2. 0.5pt lucky 31, Hills BOG. ?Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary A two day round up starting with... Beverley. Different again to Thirsk on Saturday where it was freezing, the sun is out & it's really quite warm, this is more like it. Having entered I'm wandering round by the weighing room when I run into Jason who works for David O'Meara & now runs the club website. We have a natter & I ask him about Bondesire & he tells me that she'll need a career best to win & that they think she'll need the run & they're eyeing a race up in a couple of weeks for her. He toddles off & having had a look at them for the seller I decide not to play. Justonefortheroad wins like he should do really but has to work hard to get on top of Nubar Boy by a neck but there is 5l's back to the 3rd. I could have backed him at 6/4 but I'm not too unhappy. The betting is up for the first division of the 2yo maiden & Bahamian Art is 10/11 & unless she looks something special that's way too short. Out they come & I've written "Nowt special" on my card by her name, the pick for me is Bahango with Well Fleeced also looking quite nice. Do I lay the jolly or back the other two? When I get to the ring Bahamian Art is on the slide & is 5/4, the other two are 9/1 & 20's & the old me kicks in & I back the pair each way to small stakes. Off they go to the start & when the stalls open Bahamian Art is out like a scalded cat & blazing away up front but by the time they get to the furlong pole she's in reverse having gone off far too quick & fades back to 5th. Bahango tried to keep tabs with the pace & fades back to 9th, Well Fleeced is at the back & does his best work late for a never nearer 7th. Not a good start & I'm wishing I'd laid the favourite now. Jason joins me by the pre parade for the second division. We both agree that Kylach Me If You Can from Kevin Ryan's looks the part & I head off to look at the prices, the betting is more open & I strike a small win bet at 5/1. Lazy Days in Loule who's had a run at Redcar & shown little breaks well & makes all but not at the same pace as the first division. Kylach Me If You Can chases her & looks to be making a challenge a furlong out but can't quicken as the leader clears away to win at 33/1. He ran well & will win a race, the time was 1.2 seconds slower that the other race which shows how fast they went in the first division. I'm working on some 2yo speed figures for this season & gave the first division winner a rating of 119 which makes him quite useful, Lazy Days in Loule had a decent 95, I'll be posting more on this later in the season. The sprints up next & having had a view of them I decide to watch from the stand. Passing the boards Bondesire is 11/1 & as they're loading the big screen shows 14's. She's well drawn in 2 & breaks well to hold a slight lead, at the furlong pole she's been ridden & looks to be fading away but then is switched off the rail & picks up again, she isn't is she? Of course she is, she is actually gong away again at the line & wins by a half length, the word I'm thinking closely resembles bollards. I don't think I've been put away, she's drifted & had I had a bet it would hardly have caused the price to crash but still I'm rather deflated. Back round by the pre parade & I run into a couple from Newcastle who are in this club & used to be in the other & have just arrived because he'd been working in the morning. He cheers me up by telling me that not only had he backed Bondesire but he's landed the exacta too. He's not happy though because the CSF has paid £129.22 & the exacta only £77.10, you can't please some people. We pop in the owners & trainers & have a coffee, I want to watch the Free Handicap at Newmarket. Shifting Power is being ridden over 2f's out while Hanagan brings Mushir up the outside & hits the front at the furlong pole, he battles on well but then in the shadow of the post Shifting Power sticks his neck out & wins a head bobber, more bollards. Rock of Dreams is well backed for the next & manages to get locked in on the rail at just the wrong time when well placed & ends up 4th, would he have won with a run? Don't think so but it didn't help. No hard luck stories with Loch Ma Naire, he briefly looked like he was making headway about three out & then plodded on up the hill for 6th. Back to Newmarket for the Feilden & I can't believe the price of Obliterator, he's been backed into 15/8f :eek He's held up in the early stages & then Spencer looks to be pushing quite hard from 4f's out but he responds & briefly takes it up at the furlong marker. Suddenly True Story runs away from him up the hill & wins by an easy 7l's & there's another 6l's back to the 3rd. True Story looks a very smart animal & Obliterator has run into one going places here methinks. Can Godolphin land a quick across the card double with the well supported Solidarity back here? No is the short answer, he also gets no run & has to be switched but again I don't think he'd have won anyway, more bollards. Now it's our turn & it's off to the parade ring where Dansili Dutch looks well enough. Do I have a bet? The problem is there are now only seven runners because two have come out & while I don't see her winning can she sneak a place? 20/1 is available & I decide I'd better have a bit each way. Off they go & Julie Burke gets her away smartly & is tracking the leader on her outside when they swing round for the last 3f's. At this point she gets a bit outpaced when they quicken but the other problem is she's holding Sammy Bell & Simply Shining in against the rail & they're all dressed up with nowhere to go. By the time they get out Real Tigress has gone for home & Simply Shining can't get there & is beaten a half length, would she have won? This time I think so, more bollards. Dansili plugs on for 4th & actually runs quite well, another drop of a pound & she can get back in 0 to 60's which is more her class. No returns then but plenty of 2nds. Ripon. How's that song go? "What a difference a day makes, 24 little hours" It's bloody freezing again & I'm glad I've put my big coat on, what is it with this Country, I'm typing this & the sun's beaming down again. The weather is not the only difference, things go a little better today starting with the opening 2yo race. The favourite is Hannon's Mandarin Girl who's the first one in the pre parade & while there's nothing to compare her to she looks tiny. Some more come out & yes the eye's are still working there's nothing of her at all. The pick of them is Tom Dascombe's Roudee who's sporting two rugs but looks a picture when they take them off. I leg it round to the betting ring where I manage to nab 15/2 to a small each way & then watch from the stand as the price drops to 4/1. The stalls open & Mandarin Girl breaks well but so does Roudee & the pair lead against the rail. Two out & Roudee strikes for home while Mandarin Girl hits reverse & in the end beats one home, Roudee keeps on well to score by a length & get the show up & running. Back to seconditis in the next where Right Touch runs well but just can't quicken with Barkston Ash who's had the benefit of a couple of runs. King of the Danes is well backed but well stuffed, it seems to me that Mark Johnston's horses either win or run no sort of a race at all & in this case it was the latter. However Crystal Lake is also well backed in the next & Richard Kingscote who's having a good day gets the job done in fair style to land me a winner in the multiple bet. One more winner from the last two should see me break even & next up is Fencing at Newmarket but he lets me down again in 3rd & I have finally learned the lesson, this is not a Group horse & never will be, Mull of Killough returns to form to land the race for the second year running. Now I need Waseem Faris but he unseats Daniel Cremin & runs loose going down which can't help. He's held up & makes a run down the near rail but can only get 4th in a finish which reads, short head, neck & a head between the first four. It looks like Willbeme has won but is just done on the line, if she gets fast ground NTO she'd be worth a look. Having looked at the maidens for the next I decide that Twin Appeal is worth a bit each way against the well backed Yenhaab & strike a bet at 8/1 & then watch while O'Meara's Lord of the Nile is smashed down to 5/2 having opened at 8/1. Away they go & this is a mile race but Lord of the Nile is pouring it on up front with Yenhaab chasing him & round the bottom bend they're strung out like 3m steeplechasers. Yenhaab takes it up to score by a length & three quarters in the final furlong with Lord of the Nile 2nd, nothing else gets into it & the 3rd is 5l's back, Twin Appeal makes a little late headway for 5th & will now get a handicap mark & could be interesting depending on what that is. A better day then, the posted bets staked 35.5pts & I got 5pts back. Singles etc W/R 5-34 Stakes 516pts Returns 307pts Profit/Loss -209pts Multiple bets Stakes 367.25pts Returns 277.86pts Profit/Loss -89.39pts Lays W/R 1-1 Profit/Loss +9.5pts Expenses £600 I may go to Haydock tomorrow depending on the card. Kylach Me If You Can, no 4 going down GoingDown_zps381db443.jpg Bondesire & Kirsty Bondesire_zps77d9ebb1.jpg Bondesire gets up Bondesiregetsup_zpsea66453f.jpg Dansili Dutch & Kirsty DansiliDutch_zpsd7f9bd53.jpg Roudee & Richard Kingcote returning to the winner's Roudee_zpsf853b62e.jpg Crystal Lake in the winner's CrystalLake_zps5a29c561.jpg Yenhaab Yehhaab_zps0dc44e56.jpg Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Haydock today with Mowgli for what is a very competitive looking card. Only five runners in the first but at the best prices it's 3/1 the field & it's a right trappy little affair, just a watch. 2.05 A few frontrunners in this & I'm expecting them to go quite hard at it so I'm looking for one to come with a finish. The pin lands on Firebird Flyer who seems to have returned to form lately having scored at this trip at Ludlow LTO. He's up 7lb for that & should be 3lb out of the handicap but Conor Ring takes off 7lb so effectively he's off the same mark as the last run. The doubt would be the faster ground but then it's the same for most of these & he's won on good in the past. 2.40 My old mate Bourne runs in this & on his old winning form he'd be chucked in here but he hasn't run near that level for a while although he might have won at Wetherby on Boxing Day but for a blunder at the last when a couple of lengths down & staying on. No No Mac looks progressive & the form of his win at Market Rasen LTO has been franked with winners coming from behind him, should be more to come & is a fair price in a wide open race. 3.15 Bincombe looks another improving sort & seemed to like the better ground when winning here at 2m 4f a month ago, the extra 2f's shouldn't be a problem & the 7lb rise seems fair enough. 3.50 The main hope for the day would be in this with Fentara. He stayed on well to win at 2f's shorter at Kelso LTO in the same class as today & is up 7lb for that & he seems to go on faster ground. Red Rocco is down in class from the Midlands National but he's had some hard races this Winter & all his winning form is on heavy. Woodford County is another who likes cut & was well beaten off this mark & similar ground at Exeter LTO Kilcrea Asla is getting on a bit & upped in trip from his usual distances. Blenheim Brook ran a bit better here LTO & has dropped in the weights after a string of poor efforts. The big improver is Bennys Well who's gone up 39lbs this season & 6lb since he won here at 3m's in a qualifier for the Grassroots final which is actually the 3.15. Do they think this is an easier race or that he's better going up to 3m 4f? It's still a better class race & while he has won while going up in the weights there's a heck of a lot of 2nds in there too. 4.20 Horizontal Speed & Classic Move rather flopped in Sandown's EBF final after novice wins & are on recovery missions. Kilgefin Star is another who steps into handicaps after fair novice form but doesn't look chucked in. Garrahalish is another with similar form & had the race here LTO handed to him when the leader blundered at the last. Yet another with novice form is Wake Your Dreams who's been off since August, probably waiting for better ground. It's a Doddle was beaten at 2m's off 4lb less at Towcester & then fell when weakening at 3m 1f LTO, all form on heavy ground. Horatio Hornblower won at 2m's at Ffos Las in February after a long lay off & then found 3m's here on heavy too much after. Back to winning form at around today's trip at Newbury on good LTO & ought to go well here despite a 12lb hike. Bets. Firebird Flyer 7/1. No No Mac 10/1. Bincombe 7/1. Horatio Hornblower 11/4. 0.5pt Lucky 15 Hills BOG. Fentara 25pts @ 3/1 Totesport BOG. ?Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary An interesting day but unsuccessful on the betting front on Saturday. Mowgli had had a small interest on Noel Fehily's mounts in small multiples so he was off to a good start with Witness in Court in the first who was clear from three out & scored easily. the French Import for Philip Hobbs Val D'Arc was the pick of them going round for me but I'm glad I didn't invest because he tailed off early in the straight having raced with the pace, excuse?

The Veterinary Officer reported that VAL D’ARC (FR), unplaced, trained by Philip Hobbs, lost a front shoe.
We were thinking at the time he might not have liked the faster going & it still wouldn't surprise me if we don't see him again until the Autumn & slower ground. Mowgli was with Bold Chief in the next he faded up the straight for 4th. Firebird Flyer got outpaced three out then stayed on quite well for 3rd. We watched this from the higher viewing point & Mowgli was a bit miffed when No Planning won, this one had won well at Wetherby when we were there but hadn't run so well LTO & he almost had a bet but didn't. The stewards were interested in this one too...
The Stewards considered the apparent improvement in form of the winner, NO PLANNING, ridden by Ryan Mania and trained by Sue Smith, compared with its previous run at Kelso on 22 March 2014 where the gelding finished sixth of nine, beaten 68 lengths. They noted the trainer’s representative could offer no explanation for the gelding’s improved form. They ordered NO PLANNING to be routine tested.
We'd both plumped for No No Mac in the Grassroots hurdle final & this one ran a shocker, again the stewards were awake...
The Stewards considered the running of NO NO MAC (IRE), ridden by Noel Fehily and trained by Charlie Longsdon, which finished unplaced. They noted the trainer could offer no explanation for the gelding’s performance. They ordered NO NO MAC (IRE) to be routine tested.
Mowgli had thought that Carlton Jack had a squeak & this time had a bet & managed 16/1 when the beast went off at 9/1 & he rather enjoyed shouting that one home. I thought that the G&T brigade might ask about the improved form of that one seeing as it was well stuffed just over a fortnight ago but they were having a mid afternoon snooze it seems. However they woke up to ask about the run of Bincombe in the Grassroots chase final. Mowgli had this down as his bet of the day & he looked well in the parade ring, I decided I've have a bit on him as a single & was soon wishing I hadn't, he never looked like getting involved & pulled up....
The Stewards considered the running of BINCOMBE, ridden by Richard Johnson and trained by Philip Hobbs, which finished unplaced. They noted the trainer’s representative could offer no explanation for the gelding’s performance. They ordered BINCOMBE to be routine tested.
Talk about a record with the needle stuck :eyes Next up was my big fancy Fentara, after a look at them we wandered round to the betting ring where she was 9/2 which was not a good sign. We thought it was between her & Bennys Well which was Mowgli's choice but that one was also slightly on the slide & the new jolly was Red Rocco, Mowgli decided to top up at 3/1. Away they went & Fentara made a horlicks of the first & not long afterwards Jake Greenhall was giving her a few wake up smacks, this seemed to work & she started to go much better down the back the first time. Jonathan England meanwhile was also having to stoke up Bennys Well & it wasn't looking good for either of us. Up the straight & the Favourite Red Rocco seemed to be running out but it was clear something had gone wrong & Sam Twist hopped straight off. Unfortunately the horse was injured & had to be put down. The pace picked up a bit down the back & both of ours seemed to be traveling better now & then Bennys Well fell & mine did well to avoid being brought down. As they came back into the straight it was looking between Fentara & Woodford County with the other two looking done for & now it was my turn to shout. At two out though it was clear she had had enough & Woodford County was going to win but hang on Blenheim Brook who'd never been traveling & was still 4l's down when not jumping the last that well was suddenly motoring & got up to win by a neck! Watching the replay & it didn't look like he'd got there & I'd love to see the photo, Blenheim Brook was 100 in running with Woodford County 1.07, I'm glad I don't do in running. Can't complain about the run from Fentara, if they all tried as hard I'd be happy enough. Mowgli was with Classic Move & Fehily in our last race, this one had done too much in front in the EBF final & again was fighting for his head early on. He was leading turning in & then went from 1st to 4th in two strides & clearly had burnt himself out. Having nearly fallen off at the first Liz Kelly had Horatio Hornblower after Horizontal Speed all the way up the straight but they were never getting there, not a bad run though. Time to go. 32.5pts staked & nothing returned. Singles etc W/R 5-35 Stakes 541pts Returns 307pts Profit/Loss -234pts Multiple bets Stakes 374.75pts Returns 277.86pts Profit/Loss -96.89pts Lays W/R 1-1 Profit/Loss +9.5pts Expenses £630 Easter Sky who we saw on the David O'Meara stable visit the other week has his first start for the stable in the 4.30 at Redcar today. There are a couple that have come out that would have had a chance & unless there's a big improver or one of the unraced ones is anything then it would look to be between him & Legal Waves who had a string of places last season & now is with Alan Swinbank. On the pick of Easter Sky's French form he should run well here with his good runs coming on faster ground, he's not faced anything this quick underfoot but I'm hoping it suits him & I've had a bet. Easter Sky 30pts @ 5/2 Hills BOG. Sheriff of Nawton is declared for Catterick on Wednesday & I have asked for a badge, even if I don't get one I shall be going anything I think. Witness in Court WitnessinCourt_zps51c74a79.jpg Firebird Flyer FirebirdFlyer_zps70bd1e92.jpg Carlton Jack gets on top CarltonJack_zps27f9f751.jpg Cracking finish to the Grassroots chase final CrackingFinish_zps81e2d216.jpg Fentara Fentara_zpsd57bfd0f.jpg Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary I have to say that that Redcar maiden on Monday is one of the strangest races I've ever watched. Easter Sky was 2nd but beaten by 9l's, although he was eased a bit when it was clear he wasn't winning, however there was another 10l's back to the 3rd & they were strung out like 3m steeplechaser's. It was 1m 1f & 4f's out Easter Sky & Odeon had gone clear of the rest by a long way & then Odeon cleared away while Easter Sky was one paced. I don't know what to make of the form at all, the time was nothing much at first look but when the times for the whole card are adjusted to per mile it's actually the best time of the meeting. Bit of an head scratcher then, I'll wait & see how the form works out but wouldn't give up on Easter Sky just yet. Singles etc W/R 5-36 Stakes 566pts Returns 307pts Profit/Loss -259pts Multiple bets Stakes 374.75pts Returns 277.86pts Profit/Loss -96.89pts Lays W/R 1-1 Profit/Loss +9.5pts Expenses £630 Off to Catterick today where Sheriff of Nawton makes his handicap/turf debut in the 4.15 over 7f. It seems the thought is that Sheriff will improve with age/racing & will be a decent sort later in the year & next season. However he is ready to go after a six week break from the run at Southwell where he didn't like the surface. The middle of his three starts where he was 4th of four at Wolverhampton was actually quite a good run & if he were to get near that level in this race he shouldn't be far away. The danger would seem to be Romantic Bliss who's still a maiden herself & who's been running quite well at Wolves & Kempton lately in low grade races & we have to give her 13lbs when you include Rob Fitzpatrick's claim. Tears and Rain & Oriental Maid look like they might improve going handicapping but really these are a poor lot & Sheriff of Nawton should be able to hit the first three at least. He's been backed this morning & is generally 5/1,11/2, it's not my millions but I'm more than happy that I took the 10/1 last night but I'm thinking now I should have gone each way. He's 7 to small money on Betfair & I've asked for 2.6 on the place market. The rest of the card is rather competitive if somewhat low grade & I've had a small stake multiple. 2.00 The topically named Chosen One has some decent course form, is on a good mark & ought to strip fitter for the run here on soft ground two weeks back but he is a 9yo & hasn't shown a lot in five runs since a win at Ponty last August. Tyfos is is similar in that he's also a 9yo & ran quite well at Wolves LTO but he hasn't won on turf since July 11. Boxing Shadows & Lady Poppy are two 4yo's that might still be open to a bit more progress but I'm going with Thatcherite who won two fast ground 5f handicaps last October & who ran a decent enough race on return at Thirsk over 6f when not that well drawn. 3.40 Showboating is a dual C&D winner albeit on heavy ground but he does go on faster ground has well, still seems to be improving based on the Thirsk 3rd at this class LTO & even though this is the same grade it doesn't look as strong a contest as the Thirsk one. 4.50 This is the second division of our race & it also seems to contain a lot of dead wood. I've gone with Trinity Star who's similar to Sheriff of Nawton in that he's had three runs & shown a bit of form in the last of those at Newcastle. It's interesting that he's actually top weight here which wouldn't say much for the rest, the stables started the turf season well with five winners from 18 runners too. Bets. Sheriff of Nawton 25pts @ 10/1 Bet365 BOG. Sheriff of Nawton 20pts @ 2.6 to place, take SP Betfair. Thatcherite 5/1 Showboating 11/4 Trinity Star 4/1 1pt patent + 3 x 1pt singles = 10pts staked Paddy Power BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary It didn't look like it at one point but that turned into a really special day. I'd no interest betting wise in the opener which was won by Gulland Rock. Next up I had Thatcherite in another 5f dash & cue the start of another broken record...

Dwelt and in rear, ridden along halfway, headway over 1f out, stayed on well final furlong, nearest finish
Not the best start &b it's interesting that the stewards can have a word about Tyfos who finished 3rd while totally ignoring the run of the favourite who was never in the race.
Andrew Mullen, the rider of TYFOS, placed third, reported that the gelding missed the break.
Cavalieri won the next & then the 4/9 Polar Eyes got turned over in the maiden but at least I wasn't involved here. Now it gets better, I'd run into Jason who runs the racing club & had a natter, the stable had Music in the Rain in the next & he was fancied to run well. After a count of the legs I wandered to the betting ring where he was showing at 6/1,/13/2 & decided to have a bit each way at the latter. Once up the stand I could see he was now 7/1 with the odd 15/2 :eyes Suddenly though the price crashed down through all prices until he ended up 7/2f while Showboating drifted out to 4's. Here's part two of the broken record, Showboating...
Slowly into stride and behind, headway over 2f out, switched right to wide outside over 1f out, stayed on strongly final furlong, nearest finish
Meanwhile Music in the Rain travels well in third, just gets squeezed for room at 2f's out but a gap arrives & he scoots home in the final furlong. I'll have that, our turn now. Sheriff of Nawton enters the pre parade without a rug & looks a picture, this is a seriously good looking animal. I'd been in the Betfred just before & he is now 4/1. Romantic Bliss is sweating a bit going round, out lad looks laid back wandering round now he's saddled up, out comes Danny Tudhope, he says his usual two words & then off they go. Round to the stand & he's vying for favouritism & goes off 7/2 while Romanitic Bliss hardens to 5/2 at the off. Not the best break but he's settled well not too far back, at the bend out of the back he gets squeezed up a bit & Danny gives him a few nudges down the hill. Off the bend & heading for home & he has a bit to do but is making progress, it's looking like a place when he runs into more traffic about 2f's out but Danny switches him & says go. Romantic Bliss is in front at the furlong pole but Sheriff is in top gear now, he hits the front 50 yards from home & wins pulling up to much whooping & hollering from around a dozen of us. Back into the winners & another few words from a pleased jockey, "improving" been one of them. He has a small injury on the joint near is left back leg, it looks like he's taken the skin off, probably leaving the stalls but it looks superficial. Photo's taken it's off for a glass of bubbly, somehow I end up with the photo frame that's the prize. Back out & down to Earth, Trinity Star is well backed & provides leg three of the broken record...
Slowly into stride and behind, headway on outer well over 1f out, soon ridden and kept on final furlong, nearest finish
A really good day though, time to head for home. The 25pts win returns 275pts, the place bet I'm pleased to say is matched & returns 50.4pts for 20pts staked after commission, nothing from the 10pts on the multiple. Singles etc W/R 7-38 Stakes 611pts Returns 632.4pts Profit/Loss +21.4pts Multiple bets Stakes 384.75pts Returns 277.86pts Profit/Loss -106.89pts Lays W/R 1-1 Profit/Loss +9.5pts Expenses £650 I'm looking at going to Beverley today. Apparently the stable like the chances of Omnipresent in the 3.30. He was with Stoutey last year & rather flopped over C&D on his last start in September but he was held up that day & I'm hoping that more use is made of him today. I took the 5/1 last evening but one has come out since. The other bet today is Lunar Spirit in the 4.30. This one showed promise in three runs last season & looks on a fair mark, the step up in trip should suit here & Hanagan rides. I'll probably have a stab at the 2yo race when I've had a look at them. Omnipresent 20pts at 5/1 Bet365. Lunar Spirit 30pts at 5/2 Hills Both BOG Gulland Rock GullandRock_zps0b7c47dc.jpg Music in the Rain MusicintheRain_zps4f08711e.jpg The Sheriff returns Sheriff_zps48340c02.jpg In the winners Sheriff2_zpsea5d0042.jpg Rio.

Superb read as ever' date=' Rio. Bravo, sir.[/quote'] Thanks. The small injury to Sheriff Of Nawton's left back leg is reported as nothing much, he is sound on it & having a couple of days rest, if he shows he is fine there is a chance he will run at Redcar next week, there is more than a chance I shall be there if he does. Not such a good day yesterday. Having viewed the field for the opening 2yo race I decided to go with an each way on Make On Madam who looked quite nice & had the plum draw in 1. However it seems that the inability to get out of the stalls anything like from Catterick was having a carry over. She ended up 4th, the time wasn't bad & Make On Madam should win a race, the winner, Bond's Girl had the stand out handler.. I'd noted that Danny Tudhope was here for just the one ride on Mariners Moon & then was dashing off to Newcastle straight afterwards, this one had gone off favourite but only beat only one home on his first start for David O'Meara on very different ground at Newcastle & I'd half toyed with having a punt but the price was short for one that had shown nothing. I watched the race from the stand & was just thinking he was winning when Dalaki collared him near the line. Muteela had been too short to back for one that had just managed to win an aw maiden on her sole start last year & she was on the drift as well. She also ran away with Hanagan going to the start & instead going to the furlong pole & turning round to canter to the stalls she went the wrong way round the track to the start. Lincoln was in here & is one I'd noted as a good looking animal last season & if anything he looked even better, if the race had been awarded on looks the rest of them might as well not have bothered turning up. He ran well for 2nd with the 3rd 3.5l's back but despite the drift & running away Muteela won by 4l's & Lincoln has run into one here, she's well bred & could be far better than this. The big disappointment was Omnipresent, he led like I wanted & at a sensible pace but was beaten by the time they got to three out. Brigadoon was very well backed to 11/8f but never looked like winning, not too many happy punters with the winner Arizona John the outsider of the six, the stewards were not happy either... Burnt fingers in the next (not mine) where Genius Boy was backed to 5/4f having scored by a shorthead in a maiden at Wolves on his sole start. He ended up 2nd here but was 9l's :eek behind Hit the Jackpot who landed one for O'Meara & was dropping back from 2m 2f's on his last start to 1m 2f's here & has been tried at all sorts of trips since coming over from Ireland last Spring. I needed Lunar Spirit now but he was giving Hanagan some grief going down as well. Sellingallthetime didn't show much last year but including yesterday has now been well backed on both starts for Michael Appleby. The race was a bit messy & Lunar Spirit ran into a bit of traffic & had to be switched, he was a length 2nd but really he could have won if he'd battled a bit more & looks less than resolute to me. Sellingallthetime ran into even more bother & looked a bit unlucky in a 2l's 3rd but he has a high head carriage & was keen early & he doesn't look exactly straightforward either. Nothing back from the 50pts staked then. Looked at Doncaster today but it's not the greatest card & I'll give it a miss. Singles etc W/R 7-40 Stakes 661pts Returns 632.4pts Profit/Loss -28.6pts Multiple bets Stakes 384.75pts Returns 277.86pts Profit/Loss -106.89pts Lays W/R 1-1 Profit/Loss +9.5pts Expenses £670 Here comes Summer, the return of the whistling blonde with Bond's Girl here BondsGirl_zps8e19da96.jpg Dalaki (far side) just getting by Mariners Moon close home Dalaki_zpsb081dd8f.jpg Muteela & Hanagan coming back in Muteela_zps82058113.jpg Hit the Jackpot HittheJackpot_zpsf72be1e5.jpg Lunar Spirit can't get to Opera Fan at the line OperaFan_zps8edd3c1b.jpg Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary A choice today between Ripon & Doncaster. It's not a day for getting involved in great depth betting wise & the Ripon card looks the better option from a watching point of view, I've had an each way lucky 15 & I've thrown a single dart at the Scoop 6. 1.40 As usual I'll want a look at these 2yo's before possibly striking a bet, four of the nine have run & I've seen three of those in the flesh. Reassert ran over C&D 9 days ago & came 5th, should improve but would need to. Kylach Me If You Can looked well at Beverley & ran 2nd there & again will know more this time. Realtra was also 2nd at Beverley in the other division of that race & was just held there in a race run in a better time. Sarista was also a runner up at Redcar on debut & was 6l's clear of the 3rd, that one's run twice since & not really done much for the Redcar form. I'm working on 2yo speed figures this season, as it stands at the moment I have it as.. Realtra 118 Sarista 107 Kylach Me If You Can 83 Reassert 80 Of the unraced ones Bahamian Sunrise would look the one bred to be sharp but that looks the stables second string to Realtra which would be my choice as it stands without the look at them, although a best of 15/8 is a bit skinny. 2.15 Capo Rosso has won his last two on the aw & is only 2lbs higher than the last win here & might have more to come. Gworn chased Capo Rosso home LTO but is only 2lb better off for 5l's, this one would like a bit more rain. The interesting one for me is Anderiego who'd be well handicapped on the pick of his form & I've gone with him. 2.50 One's come out of this & what's the betting that another one defects before the off to knock it down to three places? Unless we've had more rain than they're saying & it's gone on the soft side the place to be in sprints is the near rail. Hopes n Dreams has bagged the rail stall & improved last season when allowed to blaze away in front, I'm hoping she can ping the gate & play catch me if you can up the nearside. 3.30 Sizzler looked progressive when winning his last two starts last season & seems to handle any going & should have more to come stepped up to 2m's. Chocala has a similar profile but would seem to prefer plenty of cut. Gordon Elliott sends over Bayan which means he needs respecting, he was 3rd in the Coral Cup but he's still a maiden on turf on the flat. Esteaming returned in good form at Newcastle but that was at 1m 2f's & he's gone up 9lb. I'll go with Sizzler. 4.05 This seems to revolve around Battalion who's 21lbs higher than when winning a decent handicap for the track at Yarmouth last September & then ran a fair 3rd in a Listed race in France when last seen. The bare form is not a lot but he should have more to come & he does have a few fancy entries. Rawaki is dropped in class from a Newbury Group 3 where he ran a good 3rd but has been stuck up 9lbs for that run. De Rigueur looked an improving sort last season but he's not been seen since winning at Haydock last June & is up 9lbs as well. Marco Botti also runs Sueigoo who I backed a few times last season & he ran well usually, he ran well FTO last season & he's worth a go at a fair price. As I've said I've had one stab at the Scoop 6, the first leg is Sandown 2.05 where I have Stephen Hero who returns from a break wearing a tongue tie & paint rollers. Louis the Pious should be better for his first start at Ponty & sports a first time hood in Haydock's 2.20. Hopes n Dreams I've mentioned. Back to Haydock for the 3.25 where O'Meara has four runners, I'll take Frog Hollow who might have more improvement in him yet. Sizzler I've covered. In the highly unlikely event I'm still going I'm with O'Meara again at Sandown & Rose of the Moon who ran well for a long way in the National. Reflecting on it as I write I'd better do another each way lucky 15. Bets. Anderiego 17/2 Hopes n Dreams 11/1 Sizzler 17/2 Sueigoo 10/1 0.5pt ew Lucky 15 Betvictor BOG Stephen Hero 14/1 Louis the Pious 7/1 Frog Hollow 16/1 Rose of the Moon 22/1 0.5pt Lucky 15 Bet365 BOG £2 Scoop 6 as above. ?Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary "Lightning never strikes twice" so the old saying goes. Try telling me that at about 1.55 yesterday. Ripon racecourse on the 9th of July 2012, Bondesire is involved in a photo finish with Penny Garcia but I'm sure she's won, I'm heading round the back to get a picture of her coming back when they give out the result & she hasn't. Having viewed the field yesterday I decide that 5/2 is just enough for me to back Realtra in the opener. The favourite is Sarista who's not very big but is pretty quick because when the gates open she's out in a flash & off like the clapper's. Realtra's in touch but Sarista is 3l's clear at the furlong pole but then she starts to come back & Realtra is gaining hand over fist, they hit the line together & it's bloody close, on the big screen the camera follows Realtra which is always a good sign. I stand waiting for the result for a few seconds & then decide I'll head round & get a picture. Now it's a fair old trek to the winner's from round the front, rather like Thirsk you can't cut across the front of the Club stand & while I've never been Usain Bolt I'm no doddering old git either but it still takes a few minutes to get there. Robert Winston has gone into the runner up spot with Sarista & then Tony Hamilton brings in Realtra & sort of goes in the winner's but then it is a small enclosure with no room for the usual 4th place. The photographer lines them up for pictures with the horse & now I'm thinking have they given the result out & I haven't heard it? I decide I'll wander back to the betting ring, I'm in no rush & it takes a few minutes to get back to where you go under the stand & then it's at this point that the lightning bolt strikes again "Here is the result of the photograph for first place, first number 7 Sarista" To say I'm stunned is an understatement, it's got to be at least ten minutes since they passed the post & in this day & age I just don't believe it can/should take that long to decide the result, last week at Beverley there was a deadheat & it took them not even half the time the judge has taken here. Now Ripon used to put a copy of the photo finish in a glass case on the end of the stand, I posted the shot of the Bondesire finish in this thread but it seems they don't do this any more. I never saw the image on the big screen but may have missed it however the BHA website puts up the images from photo finishes along with the disclaimer that they are low resolution & that connections can ask the judge to take them through how he/she has arrived at the result. There are photos of finishes at Doncaster, Leicester, Sandown & Wolverhampton from yesterday but nothing from Ripon. I have to say that had I been involved with Realtra I would have at least asked the trainer/rep if we were going to have a look, maybe they did, ay oh on we go. On the big screen I could see Stephen Hero never in the race at Sandown & managing to beat one home, no Scoop 6 then but nobody else won it again & I'll have another go at trying to be the next Agnes Haddock next week. Ran into Jason who runs the racing club for David O'Meara who thought that Anderiego had a decent chance in the next, he was 6th. He also seemed to think that Sheriff of Nawton would go to Redcar next week. They had Doc Hay in the sprint but that one was out with the washing, I had Hopes n Dreams :eyes She did what I expected & led up the near rail until 2f's out, then she disappeared. In between though I had a small chink of light with Louis the Pious placing at Haydock but Frog Hollow was well beaten in the other race there. Back at Ripon & Sizzle ran alright for 4th, Angel Gabriel got up to beat Hamdan's Mubaraza, can't blame me this time your Sheikhiness I didn't back him. I could have done with Rose of the Moon hitting the frame in the big Sandown chase but he pulled up three out & the race was probably too much after the National run. Just Suegioo left to get me a winner then. He ran quite well to get 3rd & a bit back off the place, Battalion won well enough but whether he'd be up to winning the Jockey Club Cup, the Yorkshire Cup or the Coronation Cup & he's in them all is another thing altogether. At this point I decided to head for home. The two lucky 15's returned 3pts from two places. Singles etc W/R 7-40 Stakes 661pts Returns 632.4pts Profit/Loss -28.6pts Multiple bets Stakes 414.75pts Returns 277.86pts Profit/Loss -136.89pts Lays W/R 1-1 Profit/Loss +9.5pts Scoop 6 -£2 Expenses £685 Next up would possibly be Ponty on Wednesday depending on the card & then the Sheriff at Redcar on Thursday? Realtra in the Winner's, well almost Realtra_zps93f66fa3.jpg The result finally comes through 230285-Royalty-Free-RF-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Man-Being-Struck-By-Lightning-On-Yellow_zps8d8c49fb.jpg Trail Blaze wins the second race TrailBlaze_zpsaa3ce9c3.jpg Doc Hay about to go out DocHay_zps8a8b0991.jpg Hopes n Dreams HopesnDreams_zpsc804288b.jpg Angel Gabriel comes to take Mubaraza AngelGabriel_zps930c50e7.jpg Battalion coming back in Battalion_zps941e58a7.jpg Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Pontefract this afternoon where I suspect the going may be a touch faster than the advertised good because there are already some non runners, a couple of which have effected my bets. 2.10 The only one of these 2yo's to have run is Red Connect who I've seen both times, first when a reasonable 6th in the Brocklesby & then at Beverley where he ran another fair race in 3rd. I'm thinking that there ought to be something a bit better than him on debut although probably not quite up to the standard of Peniaphobia who won this last year & ended up landing the Wetherby's Super Sprint at Newbury. I'll have a look at them before making a choice or not as usual. 2.45 Maiden 3yo's here. Roseburg sets the form standard of those that have run although it's not that high a bar that he sets, the Nottingham run three weeks ago should have blown the cobwebs off & the step up in trip looks sure to suit but under 2/1 does not appeal. Express Himself should also like the bit further here & ran quite well at Newbury in late October. Stoutey runs Montone who debuts in a visor which is a little off putting & he's a gelding which makes me think he may be a bit of a lad this one. Desert Snow is quite a well bred filly for Godolphin & she debuts in a hood, again not a confidence boost. I'll have a look at these before committing as well. 3.55 I was quite impressed by the course win of Tender Emotion when I was there last September even if it was just a small field & I think she looks the type to improve more this year. There's a couple come out here & I had Lady Yeats who's one of them as the main danger, now the one to beat could be Saltwater Creek. She broke her duck at Wolverhampton 19 days ago & while it wasn't much of a race she could go well here up a bit in trip. Maven has fair form but putting a 7lb claimer on tells me they don't think she's that well handicapped. I took the 7/4 last night & I'm in for a rule 4 should Tender Emotion win. 4.25 I'm Hoping Godolphin are going to have a good day & have backed Dullingham in this. I wasn't here for the C&D maiden win in October but the form as been franked by winners coming out of the race & Dullingham has been to see the man with two bricks over the Winter which might see some more improvement. Mr Gallivanter ran quite well on his return at Doncaster but might not want it too fast underfoot. Champagne Rules was a 100/1 winner of a maiden here three weeks back & those that have run since haven't done a lot for the form. Latenightrequest was just behind Mr Galivanter at Donny & is a pound better off but still just looks a bit high in the weights. Filament of Gold seems to have improved a bit over the Winter & won a small handicap at Wolves in February & then was 2nd there LTO, the bare form is nothing, this is a better race & the two turf runs saw him beat one rival. Bets. Tender Emotion 10pts @ 7/4 Dullingham 10pts @ 5/2 5pt double, Hills BOG. Sheriff of Nawton is declared for the last race at Redcar tomorrow, I have a badge & will post the thoughts either this evening or in the morning. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Not a lot of time this morning because I'm looking to get off quite early to Redcar to allow time for some lunch. Sheriff of Nawton runs in the last race, it's a similar one to Catterick last week in that it's a class 6 0 to 60 but over a furlong further on the straight mile, the going is different too, it was good last week & soft today with more showers forecast. The extra distance & the track are seen as positives, the going is not seen as a problem but then until he runs on it you don't really know. He carries a 6lb penalty which puts him up to 63 which is what the handicapper put him up to after last week & he runs in this 0 to 60 because he's really 57 plus the 6lb & he'll need to go up a class level after today. The race last week was pretty dire really, the only one with any form was the runner up Romantic Bliss & she was still a maiden, however she won a four runner classified race at Wolves on Tuesday to frank the form a bit. While it's really the same class it's a bit stronger race today for me, Incurs Four Faults wouldn't need to find much more to be competitive & I expected better from Trinity Star at Catterick last week but he never recovered from a sloppy start & the extra furlong will suit him as much as us. Sicilian Bay & the Tim Easterby pair First Commandment & Vale Mentor look like they might do better now they're handicapping as well. He ought to win but I'm not as confident as I was about last week & I'm not giving it all back at short prices. The whole card is low grade stuff, there are two 2yo races & one is a seller & there's a claimer at 4.30 where the front two in the betting are 11 & 12yo's. Dream Walker has his conditions at 3.25 & is down in class a bit having ran in class 2's until his last start at Yarmouth where he was a good 2nd at today's level & he's due to go up 4lb in the future, he should run well at least. Spirit or Soul ran a fair 4th in a soft ground mile maiden at Nottingham on return & the extra furlong here should suit, he can get off the mark on handicap debut at 3.55. Bet. Dream Walker 11/4 Spirit or Soul 13/8 Sheriff of Nawton 9/4 5pt trixie + 3 x 10pt singles, Hills BOG. ?Rio.