Tennis - 8-14 February

Re: Tennis - 8-14 February

Sport Tennis
Event Golubev - Youzhny
Selection Golubev to win First Set.
Strength 7/10
Date 09/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 2.75 (Back)
Reasoning Golubev is playing in some nice form this year. He had nice start down under with some nice scalps at Hopman Cup and second round of AO,then lost in finals of Heilbronn to in form Berrer week ago.Lately his serve is working nicely but the rest of his game is also best suited indoors as he has pretty agressive approach and likes to keep points short.He had to pass through qualies here so match practice will came in handy tonight Youyhny plays similar attacking tennis although he has much better defensive capabilities than his opponent.He is former champion here in Rotterdam but he is first up after the wrist injuri he picked up at AO,so he must be rusty right now and if he tries to match Golubev from start it could go wrong for him.Golubev is playing his best stuff indoors and i expect him to get going faster than Youzhny so im going with him in first set.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sport Tennis
Event De Bakker - Hajek
Selection De Bakker -1.5 (Asian Handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 09/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 2.25 (Back)
Reasoning For me De Bakker have very good chances to take win 2-0 and advantage to second round, really. De Bakker is one position higher than Hajek in ATP rank. Thiemo is young, gifted player - play good in many challangers, this is great time for ATP! Surface in Rotterdam is fast, De Bakker in last year play 17 matches on fast surfaces - take 10 wins.De Bakker have very good serve and play at home! Jan Hajek is typicall claycourter, in last 12 months play only 11 matches on fast surfaces, lost 6. In this year won after 3 sets against Ginepri and Greul(both without form) and 2-0 against bad Recourderc. I see cleae De Bakker win!

One bet from Rotterdam for me today... Rotterdam - Marco Chiudinelli vs Michael Llodra: Llodra at 1.78 Llodra won this tournament a few years ago and although his star has waned a little, he still purports a serve-and-volley game that can be tough for players to get to grips with. Chiudinelli has recorded his best career results in the last few months but his shock defeat to Dustin Brown in Johannesburg was perhaps a sign of a mini-slump for the Swiss. He hasn't got the repetoire of ground strokes to be able to pass Llodra at the net regularly. With the Frenchman's love affair with this tournament, he's worth siding with here. They've met once before, Llodra winning on a hard court two years ago. Bet strength: 4pts
Llodra loses 6-1 6-7 (5) 7-6 (6). He was 6-1 down in the final set tie-break, got it back to 6-6 and then chucked it. A kick in the spuds.

Sport Tennis
Event Kubot - Hernandez
Selection Kubot -1.5 (Asian Handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 09/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 2.25 (Back)
Reasoning For me this is easy match for player from Poland. Kubot is 56 in rank, better than Hernandez(75). H2H is 2-0 for Kubot, both matches on Clay. In 2001 Kubot have 544 position, in 2008 223! In this moment Kubot make incredible progress! Kubot in this year show great tennis - QF in Doha(lost against Troicki - 29), 1/16 in AO(lost against Djokovic - 3) and 1/16 in Santiago(lost against Granollers). Kubot have very good, strong serve. This is good player on the net. In last year in this tournament go to second round. Hernandez in this year play 3 matches and all lost, not win a single set. Play with better players than Kubot, but Lukasz have skills to beat 2-0 Hernandez. Hernandez in last year lose in first round in this tournament!

Re: Tennis - 8-14 February Djokovic vs Stakhovsky over 18.5 games @ 4/6 Line looks pretty low here. Djokovic of course is worthy favourite and is strong on indoor hard, but Stakhovsky can certainly keep this close. Has good results indoors in his career...67% winning ratio. Big server and strong groundstrokes, he won in St Petersburg at the end of last year. Lost to Tsonga in rd1 of AO but pretty tight 6-3 6-4 6-4. I predict a Djokovic win in 2 but at least one fairly tight set like a 7-5 or 7-6.

Re: Tennis - 8-14 February No more bets for me today - nothing stands out. I know a lot of people here are big tennis fans, so take a look at www.downthet.com for an exclusive interview with the world no.15 Tommy Robredo. I interviewed him in the last few days and he says some very interesting things. Please feel free to leave comments, or questions for Tommy.

Sport Tennis
Event Novak Djokovic v Sergiy Stakhovsky
Selection Sergiy Stakhovsky to win a set
Strength 10/10
Date 09/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price William Hill @ 4.50 (Back)
Reasoning No way I would trust Djokovic in this, could lose, definately could drop a set. He hasn't looked great at the start of this year, struggling physically in Aus after a pretty easy route through. He hasn't played this tournament for a few years so not sure how up for it he will be. I like Stakhovsky, he can really play, and indoors is very dangerous. I really like him to give Djokovic problems tonight.

Sport Tennis
Event Timea Bacsinszky v Karolina Sprem
Selection Timea Bacsinszky
Strength 10/10
Date 09/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 1.98 (Back)
Reasoning I like getting very nearly evens on Bacsinszky here. She's a player that really broke through last year and put in some good performances last year. She can play well OK and I think is solid favourite here. Sprem has really fell away and despite showing a little bit of form recently, still makes far too many errors.

Sport Tennis
Event Shahar Peer v Alize Cornet
Selection Lay Alize Cornet (Lay)
Strength 10/10
Date 09/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 3.20 (Lay)
Reasoning Peer is a player I really like. She's started this year really well, putting in some strong performances. She's playing like the top 20 player of a few years ago and should be too strong here. Cornet looks to have serving problems again and has played a couple of really poor matches this year. Under pressure at home, can't see her putting in a good performance and should be comfortable for Peer.

Sport Tennis
Event Jeremy Chardy v Bjorn Phau
Selection Bjorn Phau
Strength 10/10
Date 09/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 2.78 (Back)
Reasoning Anybody backing Chardy as a fav! H'e sput in 3 shocking performances so far this year and is now 0-3 as a decent favourite. No reason to back him here. Phau isn't in great form either, but this play is mostly going against Chardy. Phau can play really well and I think this match will be close.

Re: Tennis - 8-14 February Sport Tennis Event Pablo Cuevas vs Filipo Volandri Selection Pablo Cuevas Strength 10/10 Date 09/02/2010 Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.70 (Back) Reasoning Cuevas lost with Mello last week in tournament from Santiago,in first round,6-7 ,3-6,while Volandri played 3 matches for the qualification for this tournament from Costa do Sauipe.So far in this year Volandri had modest opponents,while Cuevas played some difficult matches with Karlovic,Llodra or Lopez,in this time gathering and more experience.Cuevas is a decent player,on 50th place in ATP,while Volandri are only on 211th place,last year having weak evolutions.I guess Cuevas have certainly first chance and I expect he to win tonight.

Sport Tennis
Event Juan Carlos Ferrero v Eduardo Schwank
Selection Eduardo Schwank
Strength 10/10
Date 09/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 2.36 (Back)
Reasoning Schwank is getting his career best on track after a shocking year in 2009. He's been doing well so far, final and a win in challengers and a couple of wins last week. He should be really focussed for this part of the season, needing his ranking up to avoid qualifying in the European clay court season. Ferrero is having a shocker. He got injured in Auckland after a few games, and lost from 2 sets up against Dodig in Aus. I'm not sure about him in this part of the season especially at this stage of his career, and I don't think he should be favourite against Schwank tonight.
Sport Tennis
Event Marcel Granollers v Horacio Zeballos
Selection Horacio Zeballos
Strength 10/10
Date 09/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 2.34 (Back)
Reasoning Not sure about Granollers being favourite. Zeballos dominated in the challengers in South America last year, and although this is 250 level it's still his sort of tournament. He's struggled for wins lately but I think he'll turn it around and have a run either this week or next. Granollers did well last week and seems in reasonable form but I'd have this match as evens the pair.

Sport Tennis
Event Bellucci-Alves
Selection Under 20.5
Strength 10/10
Date 09/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.12 (Back)
Reasoning This odds is big suprise for me, line is good. I must take it. Bellucci have 28 position in ATP rank, Alves only 131. Bellucci play left hand, propably this is problem for Alves. Bellucci in this year have great form - QF in Brisbane(lost against Berdych-20), second round in Auckland(lost against Kohlschreiber 27), second round in AO(lost against Roddick 7) and won tournament on Clay in Santiago - won against Gonzalez(11) and Monaco(29). Bellucci play at home, is very motivated to take good start in this tournament. In last year go to Final. Alves is not bad, but the best player who Alves beat is Massu(97), all rivals out from Top100, 150, sometimes more. Alves in this year lost in two sets against Mello(151), Krajinovic 2-1(351), Brzezicki 2-0(170) and Devvarman 2-0(162). This players not have problems with Alves return.. Bellucci have better serve than this players ;) In last year in this tournament lost in first round 2-0 against Robredo. For me 2-0 for Bellucci and under:)

Sport Tennis
Event Michael Berrer v Arnaud Clement
Selection Arnaud Clement
Strength 10/10
Date 09/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Expekt @ 2.30 (Back)
Reasoning Berrer has performed excellently in the past 2 weeks, but can you expect him to keep it up for a 3rd week? Think he might be a bit sluggish here, and Clement has the ideal game to make this tough for him. Clement showed in Auckland he can still kick it, and can definately play indoors. Worth a try here.
Sport Tennis
Event James Blake v Marcos Baghdatis
Selection Marcos Baghdatis
Strength 10/10
Date 09/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Stan James @ 2.00 (Back)
Reasoning Baggy seems like the logical choice. Shown some good form this year and making good strides back up the ranking. Can definately play indoors, showed that winning Stockholm at the end of last year. Not sure why Blake is here instead of San Jose, might be for some cash or some parties. Baghdatis favourite for me.

Sport Tennis
Event Haas - Britton
Selection Under 19
Strength 10/10
Date 10/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.97 (Back)
Reasoning I see easy job for Tommy Haas! Tommy is 17 in ATP rank, Britton is 1461! Tommy in last years live in USA, feel very good in this country - At San Jose in 2009 go to QF, lost against Roddick 7-5, 6-4. Britton is unexperience, never play in San Jose. Tommy love play on Indoor Hard - 71/34 balance in career! Haas in this year go to third round in AO - won with Greul 3-1(61), 3-2 with Tipsarevic(36) and lost 3-1 against Tsonga(10). Britton play 1 match in career on this surface( first and last match in 2010) - first round Q to Dallas Challanger - lost against Posipil(335) 5-7, 6-3, 6-4. For me Haas give tennis lesson for Britton, fast match!

Re: Tennis - 8-14 February Some good wins yesterday for a few people. Very impressed with the Phau and Golubev first set picks. I actually think most of the prices are correct or a bit short, so I'm only taking one pick today... Rotterdam - Marcos Baghdatis vs James Blake: Baghdatis at 1.92 I had the Cypriot priced at around 1.85 so to get him at this price is marvellous value for me. He played very well throughout the Australian season, winning Sydney and getting to the third round of Melbourne. He still has some fitness concerns but the shots are still there, which is the most important thing. He's also been resting the last two weeks, so I expect him to come into the tournament in decent shape. Blake is a player who I do like but I feel he's on the way down. He's ranked in the 50s and although I think he's better than that suggests, he's not the greatest indoor player and sometimes struggles in smaller tournaments. Baghdatis is a crowd pleaser and I expect the Dutch to get behind him. He has more variety in his game and that could be enough to see off Blake. Bet strength: 3pts I had two others in mind. Viktor Troicki should not be as high as 2.05 against Jurgen Melzer, but I couldn't quite go as far as to tip him. Melzer's so unpredictable so the price may have been worth taking. I also think Dudi Sela is overpriced against Philipp Kohlschreiber, but again, it's not one I'm rushing to get the cash on. Good luck, Atko

Sport Tennis
Event Andreev - Machado
Selection Andreev -1.5
Strength 10/10
Date 10/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 1.90 (Back)
Reasoning For me Andreev is clear favorite in this match and take win in two sets. Andreev have 41 position in ATP rank, Machado only 124. Andreev play in 3 tournaments before this - Hopman(lost against Murray and Golubev, won against Kohlschreiber). In Sydney lost against good Leonardo Mayer after very long match - 6-7, 6-3, 7-6. In AO play in Federer and won first set, play good - but lost 3-1. In first round in this tournament play with better player than Machado - Starace(65). Andreev not have problems - 6:2, 6:2. Not concended a single serve game, great return - won 50% balls. Machado before this tournament play in only AO Q - won against Klein(204) 2-0 and lost against Bogomolov(300) 2-0. Play Q for this tournament - Won against De Bonis(204) 2-0, Kirche(385) 2-1 and Paschanski(328) 2-0. In first round in tournament play against Daniel(89) - won 2-0, but Daniel play bad, slow. Machado serve look bad - Andreev not have problems with this.

Sport Tennis
Event Andreev – Machado
Selection Andreev – 3.5 Games (Asian Handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 10/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price 5Dimes @ 1.67 (Back)
Reasoning Taking Andreev as favourite is not usually smart play,but really he shouldnt have to much of a problem in dealing with Machado.He had good showing against Federer at AO and menaged to keep good form yesterday when he demolished solid opponent like Starace.Next up is qualifier who has no real weapons to hurt Andreev,his only option is to defend and hope Andreev drops his level of play.But Andreev can stay solid long enough in rallies and wait for right ball to make damage with power he posses.He has more quality in all areas and this should be really one sided affair.

Re: Tennis - 8-14 February Not a great selection today. Kleybanova + 2.5 games over Pennetta @ 5/6 Worth a shot I think. Both coming into the tournament off Fed Cup wins.Kleybanova beat Julie Coin in the first round here. I think Kleybanova is the type of player Pennetta can struggle against...hard hitters. Many losses to Wickmayer in the last few months, Rezai blew her away in Oz. Kleybanova however does wander mentally during games......she was outplaying Jankovic in the Fed Cup but lost from a set and a break up. But beat Ivanovic easily over the weekend and pushed Henin in the AO, taking a set from her. Girl has a good game IMO. Kleybanova vs Pennetta Over 21.5 games @ 5/6 Further to that bet, think this is worth a go aswell. Can't see either winning easily, possibly 3 setter here. Only other interesting match for me would be Cuevas over Gil. Might take this later.

Sport Tennis
Event Nieminen - Berdych
Selection Nieminen
Strength 10/10
Date 10/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 3.92 (Back)
Reasoning Both players come to this match in poor form and its a surprise to me that Berdych is on such a short odds.Yesterday he beaten Odesnik but had a very tough match and barely passed through against a player who posses a similar type of game as Nieminen does.As both are left handers with solid defence and counter attacking skills,but difference is that Jarko is much more experienced indoors and has much better attacking options than Odesnik does.Berdych should be the favourite as he has game nicely suited for indoors,from pretty flat groundstrokes and huge power from backourt.But he is player when even in much better form suffers from big lapses in concentration and nerves in tough moments,so i feel this is right spot for Nieminen to stay solid and exploit any sort of eratic display from the Czech.

Re: Tennis - 8-14 February Oudin - Schnyder Well , i think Oudin is very heavy favorite for this match. So , in my opinion this is value bet. Although her short height , she served very well against Cirstea. Also , Oudin can punish Schnyder's top spins balls. Oudin likes attacking. Oudin will be more concentrated on this match . This tournament is very important for her career. If she beats schnyder, she will be the biggest candidate for this tournoment championship. Oudin @2.05 Strength : 10/10

Sport Tennis
Event Melanie Oudin vs. Patty Schnyder
Selection Schnyder 2-0
Strength 10/10
Date 11/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price William Hill @ 3.00 (Back)
Reasoning This will going to be the first game between these two players where the class is a thing that makes the difference and gives much better chances to Patty Schnyder. Schnyder didn't impressed too much since a quite long period already and thats why we have such great odds on her side against Melanie Oudin. Well, Schnyder didn't impressed in the last period, that is without any doubts the truth, but certain here at Paris she has got a great form as her game against Razzano prove that. Razzano vs. Schnyder was a top tennis game while Melanie Oudin vs. Sorana Cirstea was more just a bad game from the romanian girl. I won't try to underrate Oudin as she has played some great tennis for sure , the only thing I want to say is that the level of tennis proved by Schnyder against Rezzai is just at least on class above. Schnyder is for sure the better player against Oudin, she possess much more experience, yes it is true that she didn't impressed for a quite long period but what it really matter is her form of the moment and from this point of view she looked at her best here at Paris. All in all, Patty's preparation for Paris is at high level and being better than Oudin I see her clear the favourite in this one. Good Luck!

Re: Tennis - 8-14 February Taking for tomorrow..... Montanes to beat Kubot @ 1/2 Priced about right I think. Montanes is clear favourite here. Strong claycourter, good serve, good defence. Straight set win over Greul in the last round. Wasn't impressed by Kubot against Hernandez....thought that match could swing the other way at one point. Anyway, Montanes is another step up from Hernandez, if he stays consistent he can win this. GL!

Some good wins yesterday for a few people. Very impressed with the Phau and Golubev first set picks. I actually think most of the prices are correct or a bit short, so I'm only taking one pick today... Rotterdam - Marcos Baghdatis vs James Blake: Baghdatis at 1.92 I had the Cypriot priced at around 1.85 so to get him at this price is marvellous value for me. He played very well throughout the Australian season, winning Sydney and getting to the third round of Melbourne. He still has some fitness concerns but the shots are still there, which is the most important thing. He's also been resting the last two weeks, so I expect him to come into the tournament in decent shape. Blake is a player who I do like but I feel he's on the way down. He's ranked in the 50s and although I think he's better than that suggests, he's not the greatest indoor player and sometimes struggles in smaller tournaments. Baghdatis is a crowd pleaser and I expect the Dutch to get behind him. He has more variety in his game and that could be enough to see off Blake. Bet strength: 3pts I had two others in mind. Viktor Troicki should not be as high as 2.05 against Jurgen Melzer, but I couldn't quite go as far as to tip him. Melzer's so unpredictable so the price may have been worth taking. I also think Dudi Sela is overpriced against Philipp Kohlschreiber, but again, it's not one I'm rushing to get the cash on. Good luck, Atko
Baghdatis wins 6-4 6-2 for a nice 2.76pt profit for the day :ok

Re: Tennis - 8-14 February Davydenko -3.5 games over Baghdatis @ 8/11 Clear difference in quality now between these two. Baghdatis has done superbly well this year so far getting his ranking back up, and beating Blake in straight sets here. But Davydenko is one of the best hardcourters around now....won in London at the end of last year, won in Doha already this year and 1/4 final in AO. Watched parts of Blake/Baghdatis, expected more from Blake to be honest. But Baghdatis didn't serve great despite winning, could be a problem today.