** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Snooker: UK Championship 2009

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 Cheers mate & top bombing yourself tonight. Shame Allen couldn't finish off the comeback but, with a new cue, did well to get so close. Anyway, onto Monday and the final set of 1st round games. Will be leaving the Rocket well alone until we know what sort of mood he's in, so 2 for me: Ali Carter vs Rory McLeod - over 14 frames, 4pts @ 5/6 Ladbrokes I think this could be quite a close game here. Ali Carter, the world 5, is not in the greatest of nick but I'm expect an improvement here. Has only won 1 match this season, whilst suffering defeats against Milkins & Wenbo. Is a nice player and should take this match. However, it won't be easy. Rory McLeod has come alive in the last 6 weeks, winning 5 matches en route to qualifying for the Grand Prix. He dropped only 6 frames in the process and beat Ricky Walden along the way. Then overcame 2 matches to qualify for this event, including a 9-7 win over Fergal O'Brien where he hit 2 centuries. Clearly this is much, much tougher and I do expect Carter to win but this will not be easy and with 9-6 either way, I'm on the overs. Marco Fu (-2.5 frames) to beat Peter Lines, 5pts @ 8/11 Paddy Power Fu played superbly here last season to reach the final, where he was narrowly edged out 10-9 by Shaun Murphy, after beating Hawkins, Stevens, Perry & Carter along the way. A return to this venue should see him full of confidence and I expect him to take out the qualifier. Peter Lines has done magnificently to reach his first venue in over 8 years, and I just feel the occasion will get the better of him. Played pretty well in his first 2 qualifers before a nervy match when beating Nigel Bond. The snooker played there was pretty average, with Lines winning 9-6 and recording only 4 breaks over 40. A massive gap in rankings, 8 vs 64, and I feel this will be shown on the table with Fu winning 9-6 or better.

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 Will be unable to post tomorrow due to work so am having to take my bets on the 2nd round games now. Maybe there will be better prices around tomorrow but here goes anyway. Neil Robertson vs John Higgins - over 15 frames, 3pts @ 6/4 Ladbrokes What a cracking match we have in prospect here. The Aussie put up a nice performance beating Tom Ford 9-3 and looked in great nick, following on from his win in the Grand Prix. Higgins meanwhile looked good in parts too taking a close battle with Ricky Walden 9-7. These 2 are both in fine fettle and well matched, ranked 1 and 3 in the provisional rankings. Robertson beat Higgins 6-5 in the Grand Prix semi final in a top quality game and I expect another close battle here. I don't believe there will be more than 2 frames in it at any stage of the match so will take the overs for a 9-7 or 9-8 result at odds against. Neil Robertson vs John Higgins - match centuries: Exactly 4, 1pt @ 12/1 Ladbrokes Exactly 5, 0.5pts @ 40/1 Ladbrokes 6 or over, 0.5pts @ 66/1 Ladbrokes As stated above, this will be a high quality match where frames will have to be won in one visit, something they are both more than capable of. In addition, I fully expect 16+ frames so there's plenty of time to bring this bet in. In their first round games, Higgins made 1 and Robertson 3, with 4 more over 80. Both players may also have been a little rusty too so I can only see their scoring getting better. In the GP semi, they amassed 4 centuries in just 11 frames, and 2 more over 90; that is some scoring. It may be an optimistic line but the available prices reflect that and I'm hopeful that a quality match will be matched with century breaks. Mark Selby to lead Stephen Hendry (1st session only), 5pts @ 8/13 Ladbrokes Hendry hit 3 centuries in his win over Davis but otherwise played very poorly. Did not look at ease with himself and was bitterly disappointed in the press conference afterwards. Is not really showing much form and missed some simple balls, similar to his performance in the Grand Prix. Selby meanwhile will have gained huge confidence beating Cope from 8-4 down. He took the final 5 frames in style with 2 centuries, 5 more breaks over 40 and restricted his opponent to just 22 points. That could just be the turning point of a poor season so far. With confidence at a high and the possibility of a quarter final against O'Sullivan, he will want to make a fast start and I'll be taking the first session lead at odds on.

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 Mark Selby to beat Hendry @ 1.40: I had a good first round moneywise with good wins of Williams, Wengbo and Bingham so i hope to keep he run going. This is for me the bet of the secound round, i'm going very very very big on this one. The're is absolutely no way how i can see a Hendry win here. I found 1.40 but at most sites he's at 1.30-1.33. If his odds were based on his current form instead of on the name 'Hendry' they would be more like 1.20. I know he made 3 centuries but in the other frames he needed at least 3 golden chances to pinch it and the fact Davis won 6 frames where Hendry gave him chance after chance after chance. Selby will be a newborn and riding on the highest coulds after his heroic fightback againt Shotgun Cope. He played those last frames like the future world champion he is and just remember the unbelievable level of play he reached earlier this year in his quarter final against Higgins, a match Higgins described as his best win ever. The longer frame matches just suit him perfectly. Hendry will have to improve his form by 50% to have a chance and I just don't see that happening from one day to another. People listen to me: Mark Selby = Free money!!!

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 2 for me for today's remaining 1st round matches. I'm desperate to take Fu on but there's doubts over how Lines will be on the main stage. Hopefully there's not a lot in that tonight and I can get on then in the knowledge Lines is coping ok. So just two handicap bets for me. 3pts R.McLeod (+2.5 frames) to beat A.Carter Evs Stan James Rory McLeod is playing some really good snooker at the minute and in the last season or two has gained enough experience on TV to suggest that this will be no walk in the park for Carter. I've always liked Carter from a really early stage in his career and it hasn't surprised me one bit what he's achieved in his career but he could be one of those who is rusty with the lack of competitive snooker around these days. McLeod qualified for the Grand Prix as well as this and he won the Masters qualifying tournament which will prove lucrative for him so he's in tip top form and I expect him to keep this close if not win. I quite like McLeod's chances of making it to 7 so I'll take him on this handicap. 4pts M.Stevens (+3.5 frames) to beat R.O'Sullivan 5/6 Ladbrokes I'm really looking forward to this match between two of my all time favourite players. I've been a Stevens fan since he came into the sport and no snooker fan can not like O'Sullivan. The way they both play the game, this should be a quality opening round match. However I feel Ronnie's a tad vulnerable here. His long potting in recent weeks has been woeful for a man with his talent. Now he'll get chances from Stevens mistakes at some point but he will let Stevens in a few times too if his long potting woes continue. I'm not brave enough to fully take on Ronnie but I do believe Stevens has the ability, quality and class to take O'Sullivan all the way and I'm pretty confident he'll take 6 frames off the genial Englishman. Stevens with the start for me.

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 Going to continue my day of outsiders with 3 from the opening 2nd round matches. 3pts S.Bingham to beat S.Maguire 9/4 Ladbrokes I think Stuart Bingham is a big price here. He's usually at his best when he's confident and it's hard not to be confident having just beaten Joe Perry 9-4. He unleashed a barrage of good breaks against Perry which shows he's playing well. I never saw Maguire's match but everything I've read suggests he wasn't at his best and after the events of the last week or so it's easy to understand why but even before then Maguire's form hasn't been all that great since the great betting controversy here last year. Maguire is clearly the favourite but I don't think he's as clear a favourite as these odds suggest. The fact the match is on the outside table may well make the match even closer than it looks so I'll take Bingham to cause an upset here. 3pts S.Hendry to beat M.Selby 9/4 Ladbrokes I can fully understand the talk about Selby winning this but at 9/4 I'm happy to go the other way. Hendry has got a performance in him and no matter how badly he's playing, he's learnt to fight really hard and still takes some beating. He hit 3 tons yesterday and although he was poor in the rest of the match it's hard to look good against Davis. Mark Selby wasn't all that good against Cope until it came down to the last 5 frames when he turned on the style. Even then though it must be said Cope helped to start the onslaught with some over attacking play at the wrong time. This looks like it should be a classic between two powers of the game but neither are in form so it is unlikely to be the case. It could be a case of someone falling over the line so I'll take Hendry to win this one based purely on the big price. 4pts N.Robertson to beat J.Higgins 11/8 Skybet This looks like an absolute cracker. Neil Robertson is on fire at the minute and I think he'll win this match. He beat Higgins in the semi final of the Grand Prix and has gone from strength to strength since then. He won the Grand Prix, played well in patches in the Premier League and then walloped a dangerous opponent in Tom Ford in the 1st round here, with 3 tons to boot. Higgins is another in great touch. Semi finals in all 3 pro events this season shows a man close to the top of his game. That all comes after winning the world title in May. He had patches where he wasn't all there against Walden yesterday though so I'm going to go for Robertson, who has improved his game tenfold in the last season or two, to cause an upset here.

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009

Very nice:eyes Give him a break he just got back from Hong Kong (that's China isn't it?) last night.
I wouldn't worry Cramer. He's a millionaire after all :eyes. Missed the boat bigtime in that Fu match. Was desperate to take him on but didn't know how Lines would take to the TV stage. With more thought, he's not on the TV stage, he's stuck in the room at the back :wall.

Anyone know where I can get the live scores for the Fu match? It doesn't appear to even be displayed on the BBC website.
The world snooker website has live scoring. Fu's 6-2 down after the 1st session. It resumes after the 1st session of King vs Wenbo :ok.

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 In fact I'm tempted to have a bet on Fu at 6-2 down as I don't think Lines will have the bottle to finish him off.. from what I can make from his wiki, he's 39 years old and only ever qualified for the world championships once - 11 years ago. He's only just managed to qualify for the main tour again recently, after nearly quitting the sport.

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 +1.41pts for the day with Carter/McLeod overs coming in and Selby taking the 1st session against Hendry. The perfect day was ruined by a great performance by Peter Lines. I took Fu to win 9-6 or better but, as it stands, he's 8-3 down!!! Running totals: +12.16pts for the match bets -5.00pts for the outrights Still to be settled: Higgins/Robertson, over 16 frames....currently 5-3 Higgins/Robertson, 4 centuries or more....looks like a loser (-2pts) Selby to win quarter & tournament....currently 5-3 up against Hendry in 2nd round

Ali Carter vs Rory McLeod - over 14 frames' date= 4pts @ 5/6 Ladbrokes I think this could be quite a close game here. Ali Carter, the world 5, is not in the greatest of nick but I'm expect an improvement here. Has only won 1 match this season, whilst suffering defeats against Milkins & Wenbo. Is a nice player and should take this match. However, it won't be easy. Rory McLeod has come alive in the last 6 weeks, winning 5 matches en route to qualifying for the Grand Prix. He dropped only 6 frames in the process and beat Ricky Walden along the way. Then overcame 2 matches to qualify for this event, including a 9-7 win over Fergal O'Brien where he hit 2 centuries. Clearly this is much, much tougher and I do expect Carter to win but this will not be easy and with 9-6 either way, I'm on the overs.
Mark Selby to lead Stephen Hendry (1st session only)' date= 5pts @ 8/13 Ladbrokes Hendry hit 3 centuries in his win over Davis but otherwise played very poorly. Did not look at ease with himself and was bitterly disappointed in the press conference afterwards. Is not really showing much form and missed some simple balls, similar to his performance in the Grand Prix. Selby meanwhile will have gained huge confidence beating Cope from 8-4 down. He took the final 5 frames in style with 2 centuries, 5 more breaks over 40 and restricted his opponent to just 22 points. That could just be the turning point of a poor season so far. With confidence at a high and the possibility of a quarter final against O'Sullivan, he will want to make a fast start and I'll be taking the first session lead at odds on.
Another solid day mate :clap:clap.

Mark Selby to beat Hendry @ 1.40: I had a good first round moneywise with good wins of Williams' date= Wengbo and Bingham so i hope to keep he run going. This is for me the bet of the secound round, i'm going very very very big on this one. The're is absolutely no way how i can see a Hendry win here. I found 1.40 but at most sites he's at 1.30-1.33. If his odds were based on his current form instead of on the name 'Hendry' they would be more like 1.20. I know he made 3 centuries but in the other frames he needed at least 3 golden chances to pinch it and the fact Davis won 6 frames where Hendry gave him chance after chance after chance. Selby will be a newborn and riding on the highest coulds after his heroic fightback againt Shotgun Cope. He played those last frames like the future world champion he is and just remember the unbelievable level of play he reached earlier this year in his quarter final against Higgins, a match Higgins described as his best win ever. The longer frame matches just suit him perfectly. Hendry will have to improve his form by 50% to have a chance and I just don't see that happening from one day to another. People listen to me: Mark Selby = Free money!!!
Still pending but looking good, lot of money at stake... Pitty i didn't take Wengo but i just wasn't sure how he would react playing without TV-cameras while King was allready used to that. It seems it doesn't really matter :)

3pts R.McLeod (+2.5 frames) to beat A.Carter Evs Stan James Rory McLeod is playing some really good snooker at the minute and in the last season or two has gained enough experience on TV to suggest that this will be no walk in the park for Carter. I've always liked Carter from a really early stage in his career and it hasn't surprised me one bit what he's achieved in his career but he could be one of those who is rusty with the lack of competitive snooker around these days. McLeod qualified for the Grand Prix as well as this and he won the Masters qualifying tournament which will prove lucrative for him so he's in tip top form and I expect him to keep this close if not win. I quite like McLeod's chances of making it to 7 so I'll take him on this handicap.
Nice one Kev:clap This match will be really close. Keep thinking Carter might find his feet and storm away but it hasn't happened & time is running out. I bet I know somebody that will be cheering Ali Carter on;);)

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 Bouver - please ensure you post the bookie the price is available at:ok. Good luck with Selby. Confused about the 'good first round money wise'? I thought the only bet you struck was an accy including Trump?:unsure. Unlucky really as he came up against an inspired Peter Ebdon 2nd session.

Nice one Kev:clap This match will be really close. Keep thinking Carter might find his feet and storm away but it hasn't happened & time is running out. I bet I know somebody that will be cheering Ali Carter on;);)
That and the fact Carter is in the top half of the draw is why I'm cheering Rory on. If McLeod wins this then should Ding beat Murphy tomorrow, there's only 2 seeds left in his half of the draw :dude. Got a bit unlucky with Stevens earlier. There's no way 9-3 reflects the match. Ronnie had a huge run of the ball tonight. Ronnie vs Ebdon tomorrow. Let the sparks fly :lol. +2.34 for me now. Although I need a few turnarounds tomorrow :(.

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 Not getting involved in any of the matches currently in progress, as I still have an interest in both the TV matches, whilst the other 2 could be as good as over if Maguire & Wenbo start fast. I'll hoping though that Bingham can put the pressure on Maguire but it's a big ask. Instead, I'll be going with 3 on the other matches. Ding Junhui to beat Shaun Murphy, 4pts @ 6/5 Coral Along with Robertson/Higgins, this is the tie of the round. Can't split these 2 at their best so am going with the outsider. Murphy is the reigning champ but may get dethroned here. Has not played since Saturday so could take time to get going today, something he can ill afford. The match with Greene was closer than it appears on paper and I've just got to oppose at odds on. Ding meanwhile is a confidence player and the fact he plays again so soon having won yesterday is a plus. Was 5-2 down against Mike Dunn but rattled off 6 straight frames to coast home 9-5. Will be feeling confident after that win and, now back on the TV tables, will want to show everyone he's up for this. Worthy of interest at a value price. Ali Carter (-2.5 frames) to beat Stephen Lee, 4pts @ 11/10 Ladbrokes Towards the end of his match tonight, I saw glimpses of what Carter is capable of. Has started the season slowly but this win will have given him loads of confidence and he will be buzzing for this 2nd round match. McLeod was no easy opponent as he's been in super form recently so 9-7 is a very good result. Lee, meanwhile, had a superb win over Mark Allen, my early tournament fancy. Consistency though is not a word associated with Stephen Lee and I just cannot see him stringing 2 good performances together. I'm also not sure Lee will like Carter's style, who's more than capable of digging in and grinding out a result. At a shade of odds against, I'll be taking the world number 5 to progress no worse than 9-6. Peter Lines to lead Mark Williams (1st session only), 1pt @ 4/1 Ladbrokes Small bet but I feel it's worth a shot. Lines played really well yesterday, beating Marco Fu 9-3. Will again be on the non TV table which will suit and confidence will be at a high. In the 1st session against Fu, he was 2-1 down before reeling off 5 on the trot to take a 6-2 lead. Williams, meanwhile, has not played since Saturday and in fact only played 1 session as Dott pulled out through illness. He won that session 6-2 but didn't really play that well. Dott had chances in almost all the frames and actually scored a break of 30 or more in 5 of the 8 frames. Had he felt better, 6-2 could just have easily been 2-6. I think Lines might come out of the blocks quick before tiring in the evening session so I'm happy to be on the 1st session lead at a very big looking 4/1.

Bouver - please ensure you post the bookie the price is available at:ok. Good luck with Selby. Confused about the 'good first round money wise'? I thought the only bet you struck was an accy including Trump?:unsure. Unlucky really as he came up against an inspired Peter Ebdon 2nd session.
Well i took last minute singles on williams, wengbo, bingham and trump. Trump did screw up my combo though!

Peter Lines to lead Mark Williams (1st session only), 1pt @ 4/1 Ladbrokes Small bet but I feel it's worth a shot. Lines played really well yesterday, beating Marco Fu 9-3. Will again be on the non TV table which will suit and confidence will be at a high. .
:ok

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 Just one for me in the 2nd round matches starting today. 4pts S.Lee to beat A.Carter 5/4 Bet365 Big gamble taking place on Stephen Lee today and it's not hard to see why. He came through a high quality match with Mark Allen in the 1st round where Allen hit 4 centuries and still couldn't get past Lee, who himself put together a run of 141. That built on his excellent recent form which was emphasised perfectly when he beat Robert Milkins in the qualifying round for this, knocking in two tons and another stack of 50 breaks. So from somewhere Stephen Lee has really found his scoring boots. Ali Carter was crap against Rory McLeod yesterday. McLeod should've been 6-2 up at half time but as it was he was only 4-4 and from 7-6 up basically gift wrapped the match to Carter. That was Carter's 1st win for a while too so his form overall hasn't been good. This match won't be on a TV table which could suit Lee more than Carter so I'll take the big man to see off Carter here.