** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

UEFA Europa League » Oct 22

Djordje

Re: UEFA Europa League » Oct 22

Interesting to see a bit of interest in the Celtic v Hamburg game.... Being a Celtic fan I thought I'd give my opinion on the match.... Celtic V Hamburg - Celtic win @ 3.1 (William Hill) Celtic are currently going through a transitional stage with Tony Mowbery still tinkering with the squad of players he has to try get them playing football the way he wants his team to play. On Saturday we lost ground in the Championship race by drawing at home to a more than decent Motherwell side. While that result was frustrating for Celtic, we did have a good few chances to win the match, McDonald and McGeady the main culprits on this occasion. In the past few games Shaun Maloney and Samaras have also missed gilt edged chances to win matches for the Hoops (Maloney missed two sitters against Rapid and Rangers). The problem recently seems to be finding the net, I agree with So67 above in that we miss Fortune. Celtic's form at Celtic Park in Europe has been somewhat formiddable up until last season and this season at home in Europe we have played three games thus far.... In early July (midway through Celtic's preseason) we lost 1-0 at home to Dinamo Moscow - The Russian side took the lead after 7 minutes and decided to sit in and protect their lead, however Celtic, even though they looked like the lacked match fitness, battled away and were extremely unlucky not to score themselves. We over turned the result and won the away leg 2-0 in Russia. In August (One game into the new SPL season) we lost 2-0 at home to Arsenal. There is no denying Arsenal are a class above Celtic however on this occassion I tohught we played well and were extremely unlucky to lose the game to a wicked deflection and a horrible own goal. We played ok. At the start of this month we drew 1-1 at home to Rapid Vienna. Again the visitors scored early on (3rd minute) and this allowed them to stick 11 men behind the ball making it very difficult for Celtic to break them down, however again we had the chances to win this game and really should have scored at least 2 of them to make it 3-1. I guess my point in commenting on the three European games this season at Parkhead is to illustrate that Celtic have not been playing badly in these games, we just havent found the finishing touch which made our home form so impressive in recent seasons. As the So67 says we have never really been hammered at home in Europe and I think that shows we as a unit and a team can be a solid unit and play football against the big teams on our own turf. We have played better teams than Hamburg and managed a result, it is interesting to me that Hamburg are missing 7 players tomorrow night. I dont really know too much about them but I recognise they are a good, solid team, however the two players I have been most impressed with ( Guerro and Petric) are out through injury and this can only be a massive boost for Mowery's men tomorrow night. The manager has came out and said that its not a win or bust game for us, I presume he is saying this to keep calm around the camp because to be honest if we are sitting on 1 point after 3 games (two of which have been at home) then I cannot really see us progressing. I too would appreicate some of the German lads on the forum to inform us on the ability of the squad available to Hamburg tomorrow night :ok At this moment in time I am looking to back Celtic at an overpriced (in my opinion) 3.1 :hope
Sorry guys, yet again a disappointing European night for Celtic :eyes

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic