Sandown - Sat 4/7/09

2.40 Sandown The booking of Mick Kinane for Clive Cox's Perfect Star looks very interesting, with Phillip Robinson engaged at Haydock, and the mare can hopefully notch up a win for the Irish master before he takes the ride on Sea The Stars for John Oxx later on the card. She has a decent course record, placing on both starts over shorter, and since stepping up to a mile has found a pair of handicaps at Ascot, the lastest of which was off 95 last August, 4 lbs lower than she races off here. Since that day she has been trying her look in listed and group races with little success, but this represents a step down in grade and she may run a race at a price. 20/1 SJ EW.

Re: Sandown - Sat 4/7/09 Sandown - 2.05 'Madam Trop vite' 25/1 Quite simply overpriced. Good form last year, ignore the French run. Has beaten Anglezarke, who is 2nd favourite, yet this Callan/Ryan combo is 25's? Neil Callan's only ride at Sandown for 'his gov'nor', stable in form and especially so with sprinters. I'm going big and straight, win or bust.

Re: Sandown - Sat 4/7/09 3.15 Conduit Sea The Stars looks hard to oppose but at 4/6 It could be worth looking at the potential of the others. Conduit has the aid of a pacemaker which could give some advantage as a fast gallop could be the real test for Sea The Stars stamina. Although Conduit has not previously won over this trip he has been placed and has form on the ground. Conduit 9/2 Bet365 BOG

Re: Sandown - Sat 4/7/09 2.05 Sandown With wizzkid here on Ialysos unbeaten until his race at Ascot over 6f, and really didnt look to get home, stepped back down to 5f today and also stepped down from grp1 to grp3 aswell today, looks as though he can cope with the cut in the ground aswell. The other I see as a big threat at a big price is Duff cant quite believe its price, ran in same race at Ascot and again didnt seem to get the trip but looked to be travelling well and is tried at 5f for first time today having won a 7f grp1 recently on good ground Manning also knows the horse well! 1pt win Ialysos (4/1 hills BOG) 0.5pt e/w duff (20/1 hills BOG)

Re: Sandown - Sat 4/7/09 2.05 Ialysos 9/2 cor 10 pts I was keen on this one lto at royal ascot where he was far to free over 6f that day. I thought 6f could suit him but he did too much early and unsurprisingly weakened late on. There is no denying it was a bad run but in many ways it was too bad a run to be true. Before that he looked so promising on his first start for the year when beating angelzarke who of course ran well at asc. It may well have been that he bounced somewhat after that but back to 5f and a stiff 5f which should be fine, I still think he is interesting here knowing the potential class he hinted at fto in this country. 2.40 Roman Republic 9/1 lad 5 pts e.w This was another one at ascot who I backed and didn’t really perform if still running respectable but I think there could have been an element that he may have bounced after his first run for a while and he could be better today. He has always been held in high regard and looked to fulfil that both at the end of the last season and at the start of this. His Doncaster win was pretty classy off 83 and suggested he had a lot left in him. Maybe the ground was also a little too sharp at asc so the slightly easier ground today compared to that day could help him to and I still think there could be some to come from this horse still. 3.15 Sea the Stars 8/13 sj bog 20 pts I really like the look of superb Sea the Stars going for the Guineas, derby and Eclipse hat trick. He showed in both of his stylish wins this year what class he has, he has great speed yet is not short of stamina either. He travels like a wonder performer and this in many ways looks an ideal race for him at 10f. Previous derby winners dropping back to 10f in this race and who were turned over didn’t have the known ability of a guineas win and its that supreme quality of speed a stamina at such a high group 1 level that sets him apart. Generally I don’t see anything to scare him here. Facing older horses can be difficult and say at 12f, if it was a massive testing gallop, a race between him and Conduit could be more interesting but not at 10f for me. CDT looks improved this season but could find it hard to maintain the Conduit form given the weights today, TO looks in between trips for me and the 3 yr olds haven’t shown STS class yet. So Sea the Stars is the confident selection here. 3.45 Say No Now 8/1 boy bog 5 pts e.w On official figures this one has it to find today but this doesn’t look a great race for the grade and she has bits of form which make her interesting for this. On debut she ran into the useful Moonlife, then she came second on the a.w but was ahead of the subsequent 3 yr old filly of the season, Ghanaati , then she won here maiden no problem before probably her best performance in a listed race when third and just fading late on over further than this trip. Given that the drop to a mile should have suited lto but for me she chased too strong on a pace from her wide draw which was a big disadvantage to her. Given that, I’m willing to forgive that and she could put that run behind her today and run well. 4.20 Wells Lyrical 13/2 skyb 5 pts e.w This is what I said about this one before its find second last week, ‘Tricky race in some ways but I like this ones unexposed nature and seemingly has been prepared for this race after a promising seasonal reappearance over this trip. Last season this nicely bred sort was extremely progressive. He was placed four times before then running up a hat trick where he never won by that much but always did enough and always stayed on strongly to win. A worry with the types who win time and time again is that they don’t always do it again next season but this one showed so much promise on his seasonal return. He came second to a decent sort in downhiller but that was a fine comeback run and this looks a target and one which he can run well in from a low draw to get a good position unlike some of his nearest market rivals.’ As it was he ran very well last week, yes he may have been advantaged by the draw but the steady nature of the race may not have suited and he still ran well and only just failed to catch the winner. Its a harder challenge today as its not a handicap but he is in such good form he could run a good race. 4.55 Maswerte 7/2 bet3 bog 10 pts I thought this one was a good winner in a handicap for the first time lto and I could see him following up off only a 6 pound higher up which I believe is fair. He showed modest ability to get a mark although his last run was more encouraging and hinted at promise. However fto this season when maybe not even fully wound up he pulled a length or so clear in the end and the early signs are that it was a fair race. The second was second again since but the fifth won really well of 67 and even a couple of others have placed since so he wasn’t beating nothing. Further improvement is a real possibility and he can go close.

Re: Sandown - Sat 4/7/09 Sandown Park: 3:15 Lang Shining (IRE)250/1 Sportingbet1/3d place Patently in a true run, trouble free race, this has virtually no chance but old fogeys like me will remember the odd turn-up from pacemakers (usually admittedly in the mud but...). As more and more of these races appear to be attacked "mob handed" by the bigger yards there will be a "cock-up" some time soon - if not some sort of penalised interference. I think that the potential for this is increased where there are at least two other makeweights/pacemakers as appears to be the case here. As the man said .....Someday it will happen..... (In real life I will back it with buttons with Betfair at 1000 - thats a silly price in a 10 horse race - I wil also back Malibu Bay, Steele Tango and Set Sail - at Betfair prices I have 40% of the field to return a minimum £1,000 for £8..... someday soon it will happen!

Re: Sandown - Sat 4/7/09 2.05 it would be a great training performance if DUFF could win this at his first attempt over this distance having won over 6f,7f and a mile. Trainer comes over from Ireland with Kevin Manning to do the steering he is 2 wins and a second from 5 starts on him and at 20/1 worth a few bob e/w i think as Irish eyes could be smiling.

Re: Sandown - Sat 4/7/09 2:05 Sandown: Triple Aspect 3pts win 2/1 Ladbrokes Always a bit wary if Ladbrokes are top priced about a horse.... but brings rock solid course distance and going form in to the race. Also has a high draw and three year olds have a good record in the race. 2:40 Sandown: Ace of Hearts 2pts win 20/1 & Tanto Faz 2pts win 25/1 both with Sportingbet Ace of Hearts won this race in 2005 and although now ten years old retains his ability, every chance he can go in again. At the other end of the spectrum Tanto Faz has only raced seven times and is unexposed. Good couple of runs this season and William Haggas is always a trainer to have on your side. 3:15 Sandown: Twice Over 2pts win 16/1 Bet365 (Bog) The temptation here is to take on Sea The Stars at odds on. Older horses have done well and the shortest in the betting is Conduit, but is he better over further? I'm going with Twice Over who was not beaten far at royal Ascot by Vision D'etat, and that is top class mile and a quarter form.

Re: Sandown - Sat 4/7/09 2.40 Sandown HUZZAH (1m, Cl2, Gd) Huzzah was 2nd in the Hunt cup beaten by Forgotten voice & may have the chance here to win its 1st race of the season. Was 5th in the Lincoln again on a straight mile course & i am hoping the bend will assist the horse today, runs off 99 & although highest winning mark is 93, the 4yo still has a bit of scope to improve. Mirrored the 3yo from Stoutes yard has to be feared on a track where the trainer has a 23% SR over 5years. Arostic is another i like & i think it will come on for its run at York LTO out where i backed it when 4th behind Kavachi. HUZZAH 2.5pts ew @ 11/1 >Bet365 (bog) AROSTIC 1pt ew @ 8/1 >Hills 3.15 Sandown Eclipse stakes (1m 2f, Grp1, Gd) The poor showing of Derby winners & favourites in this race is a worry & i recall helping a few to a nice 1-2-3 in the race last year. This is based on backing the 1st 3 in the betting in a combination bet. The bookies are paying a tricast on the race & Sea The stars, Rip Van Winkle & Conduit are the 3 to back. The trifecta paid £53 last year for the 1st 3 in the betting. 1pt Comb Trifecta Sea the stars, Conduit, Rip Van winkle

Re: Sandown - Sat 4/7/09

I thought this would be his first battle and it was, of sorts anyway. Just keeps finding more. I'm actually pleased my bet didn't win as it's great to have a real champion.
Just caught the race before I went out yesterday and just went for a small ew on RVW too. I was actually in awe at how Sea The Stars found another gear. RVW is a very good horse, went close in the Guineas but I felt didn't have the speed for 1m, went close in the Derby but didn't seem to have the stamina for 12f and I thought 10f would be perfect. Ran very well but was beaten by a superstar. I'm glad I don't bet in running very often as when RVW came to challenge I thought it had winner written all over it.