Cheltenham ~ 10th March ~ DAY 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cheltenham ~ 10th March ~ DAY 1 Cheltenham 14:05 Cool Operator 150-1 RPF EW 4 of 6 at Ascot lto. I think because the course does not suit him. Cheltenham may be more his type. Catterick and Sedgefield are Undullated courses and he did welll there with 2 wins and 1 third. Trainer J Howrad Johnson have a decent strike rate here with 13.4% from 82 runs with 28.1% placed. Jockey Denis O'Regan is at 10.9% at win and 23.9% at placed. 2m-2m1f runners here from Johnson since 2004 forms at Novice Hurdle 12 3 25.0% 621.9% 3 25.0% 383.1% 1PT @ 125-1 Bluesq

Re: Cheltenham ~ 10th March ~ DAY 1

2.05 Forpadydeplasterer already on ante post 20/1 var 12.5 pts e.w for the arkle. However as its my bbotm and of the fest Im going to add a bit more 7.5 pts e.w 10/1 wh bog 4 places (just in case its 4th)
Magnificent.

Re: Cheltenham ~ 10th March ~ DAY 1 That's why I don't like Richard Johnson. He missed the start and Snap Tie was last giving all the field few lengths. Then the horse made a fantastic headway on unsuitable ground. Jumped the 2nd last in 5th or 6th, but that was his maximum. Wonder where he would have been if Ricahrd Johnson hasn't slept.

That's why I don't like Richard Johnson. He missed the start and Snap Tie was last giving all the field few lengths. Then the horse made a fantastic headway on unsuitable ground. Jumped the 2nd last in 5th or 6th' date=' but that was his maximum. Wonder where he would have been if Ricahrd Johnson hasn't slept.[/quote'] Closer to the top 3, but wouldnt have beaten the front 3 imo. Shame, because as you know I had him ante-post for quite some time.

That's why I don't like Richard Johnson. He missed the start and Snap Tie was last giving all the field few lengths. Then the horse made a fantastic headway on unsuitable ground. Jumped the 2nd last in 5th or 6th' date=' but that was his maximum. Wonder where he would have been if Ricahrd Johnson hasn't slept.[/quote'] always been a tosser in my book ever since he rode one of my horses

always been a tosser in my book ever since he rode one of my horses
Gutted mate, but I said it in my preview. He made excuses last year in the Supreme the horse was checked. Happens too many times with him I'm afraid. Very unlucky horse though. 2 festivals the ground has gone against him. Hope he wins the Arkle next year.

Re: Cheltenham ~ 10th March ~ DAY 1 What great finishes we have seen today. Personally my intial impression of the CH is that I dont think it was vintage at all. Punjabi is a solid horse who has improved this season but he is far from a world beater. There were a lot of horses who had similar form to him, ie. last years CH form, Sublimity, even Christams hurdle horses like Snap Tie and harchiabld (both wouldnt have appreciated the ground though) reagrdless of whether of not Punjabi would have won that race (what a costly fall it was as well; lost him the bonus) and even lto's run behind ashkazar and whiteoak when he clearly wasnt 100% due to a run being much needed. Binocular just couldnt quite pick up like he normally does with that potent turn of foot on the ground. On better ground next year I would rate his chances of turning that form around but he might not be the wonder champion ie. the next istrabraq. Possibly one of the most interesting horses from the race is CAJ, he made up an awful lot of ground to be fourth, an awful lot of ground. Also what about the blinkers on the Pipe pair, neither ran to form and Im finding them a tricky stable to work out atm, seemingly back in form after a real up and down season but fancied runners of theirs havent really done it so far. Still a long way to go to make judgements like that.

Re: Cheltenham ~ 10th March ~ DAY 1 It's what myself and lot of people I guess were wondering if Binocular would handle Cheltenham, although he battled on he didn't seem to have much left in him at the finish which to me looks like he's not really a horse suited for Cheltenham.

Re: Cheltenham ~ 10th March ~ DAY 1 AP McCoy take a bow indeed, brilliant ride on Wichita, I thought it had no chance when it blunded about halfway through the race but McCoy did magnificently to get it to win from there. Surely the ride of the festival by a country mile.

Re: Cheltenham ~ 10th March ~ DAY 1 Top days racing and for me a big hand goes out to AP & not to forget a top girl jockey in the cross country Nina Carberry, she reads a horse oh so well, my only tip of the day was MUIRHEAD ran a cracker and beat some very good horses and is still in the note book for the future, came in 5th but still a young horse. Nice 1st days racing, AP what can we say thats not been said.

What great finishes we have seen today. Personally my intial impression of the CH is that I dont think it was vintage at all. Punjabi is a solid horse who has improved this season but he is far from a world beater. There were a lot of horses who had similar form to him, ie. last years CH form, Sublimity, even Christams hurdle horses like Snap Tie and harchiabld (both wouldnt have appreciated the ground though) reagrdless of whether of not Punjabi would have won that race (what a costly fall it was as well; lost him the bonus) and even lto's run behind ashkazar and whiteoak when he clearly wasnt 100% due to a run being much needed. Binocular just couldnt quite pick up like he normally does with that potent turn of foot on the ground. On better ground next year I would rate his chances of turning that form around but he might not be the wonder champion ie. the next istrabraq. Possibly one of the most interesting horses from the race is CAJ, he made up an awful lot of ground to be fourth, an awful lot of ground. Also what about the blinkers on the Pipe pair, neither ran to form and Im finding them a tricky stable to work out atm, seemingly back in form after a real up and down season but fancied runners of theirs havent really done it so far. Still a long way to go to make judgements like that.
Maybe not the most "vintage" mate, but all the top 2m hurdlers were there, only Sizing Europe (who perhaps wouldnt have been much of a threat anyway) wasnt there. The pace set seemed to be quite strong and this if anything put paid to any sort of finish Binocular might have had. (I havent seen the times, so I dont know if it really was a strong gallop, but the way they finished it seems as if it could have been).

The pace set seemed to be quite strong and this if anything put paid to any sort of finish Binocular might have had. (I havent seen the times' date=' so I dont know if it really was a strong gallop, but the way they finished it seems as if it could have been).[/quote'] RUK showed the Supreme/Champion on split screen. Osana set stronger gallop and was few sconds in front in the first half of the race, but the novices were finishing faster then the older horses and completed almost at the same time.

Maybe not the most "vintage" mate, but all the top 2m hurdlers were there, only Sizing Europe (who perhaps wouldnt have been much of a threat anyway) wasnt there. The pace set seemed to be quite strong and this if anything put paid to any sort of finish Binocular might have had. (I havent seen the times, so I dont know if it really was a strong gallop, but the way they finished it seems as if it could have been).
Im not denying it was not an enjoyable race to watch and as you say virtually all of the top current 2m hurdlers were there although one may argue even a novice like Hurricane Fly or even the hugely impressive mare in the last wouldnt have been a million miles of it today in the CH (just a personal opinion.) Next year they would be serious contenders if going this route (what a form boost HF got today.) However in terms of the form of the race, it was a workmanlike and brave win by punjabi but in no way a vintage one. What im saying is that this was not an Istrabraq style/wonder performance imo. The top 3 were sepearted by less than a length and there was not that much either to the next 3. The first of them being CAJ who the more and more I look at it wasnt given a great ride, he was given an awful lot to do. As for the times well it was 'only' 0.1 of a sec quicker than the supreme (supreme have 3 pounds less) and thats despite them going some gallop by the looks of it in the CH. In the supreme Im not even sure how quick they went, golan way did but the rest of the main pack by ainama seemed not to be the normal Supreme style frantic pace that they can go. Anyway just a few thoughts.

Im not denying it was not an enjoyable race to watch and as you say virtually all of the top current 2m hurdlers were there although one may argue even a novice like Hurricane Fly or even the hugely impressive mare in the last wouldnt have been a million miles of it today in the CH (just a personal opinion.) Next year they would be serious contenders if going this route (what a form boost HF got today.) However in terms of the form of the race' date=' it was a workmanlike and brave win by punjabi but in no way a vintage one. What im saying is that this was not an Istrabraq style/wonder performance imo. The top 3 were sepearted by less than a length and there was not that much either to the next 3. The first of them being CAJ who the more and more I look at it wasnt given a great ride, he was given an awful lot to do. As for the times well it was 'only' 0.1 of a sec quicker than the supreme (supreme have 3 pounds less) and thats despite them going some gallop by the looks of it in the CH. In the supreme Im not even sure how quick they went, golan way did but the rest of the main pack by ainama seemed not to be the normal Supreme style frantic pace that they can go. Anyway just a few thoughts.[/quote'] Quite possibly add Quvega into the mix for next year, as imo she would have gone pretty close today. EDIT!!!! I just noticed you mentioned Quevega in your reply mate :ok

Noel Meade wins the first at cheltenham. So that means there is a future Gold Cup winner that Go Native has beaten there judging by Meade's only two other cheltenham winners.
Don't think anything in behind will turn out as good as Best Mate or Denman. Can't even see a potential GC winner but you never know what will happen when these horses eventually take to fences. Well spotted though....:ok