** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Denman

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Denman DENMAN left his connections in upbeat mood following a schooling session at Ditcheat on Monday morning. Denman, watched by his joint-owners Paul Barber and Harry Findlay, jumped ten fences on grass in company with Dear Villez and Eurotrek and left trainer Paul Nicholls much happier than he had been after his previous school last Friday. RELATED LINKS

Nicholls said: "That was the first time Denman has schooled on grass here since his novice days. We stopped doing that after he used to tank off and behave a bit stupid. "We normally jump him in the outdoor school, but he didn't please us in there on Friday morning; for some reason he doesn't seem to like it any more. "But he jumped ten fences this morning and went really well - he was full of enthusiasm. It left us very positive. "That followed on from a good piece of work he did with What A Friend on Saturday morning, so it's onwards and upwards with him." Denman's part-owner Harry Findlay is now also feeling much more optimistic about the nine-year-old's Cheltenham Gold Cup defence. Denman, who suffered heart problems at the start of the season, made a less than a spectacular comeback when a distant second at Kempton last month and Findlay had expressed doubts last week that Denman would even line up at Cheltenham on Friday week, but his latest schooling session left him feeling much happier about his prospects. "He worked well on Saturday morning on the all-weather gallop, but this morning was much more important as the plan was always to school him over the outdoor fences," said Findlay. "I think lethargy as much as anything has been the problem with Denman, certainly with those first couple of fences at Kempton, so today was very important. "Sam [Thomas] rode him and he worked with Dear Villez and Eurotrek, going over a couple of fences four or five times. "He looked really enthusiastic, jumped very well and the last couple of times he seemed to have plenty of zip between the obstacles. "The best thing about it for everyone was the enthusiasm he showed. He is a real character but he looked very happy this morning and barring any accident, he will be a runner in the Gold Cup. "I am still concerned he might not be the same horse he was, to be honest. Last week he schooled in the indoor school and he really was very poor there. "Just with all the vibes and knowing what it takes to get a top athlete to a top sporting event, last Thursday I made him decent odds-against to even run. "But to be honest, I think he surprised Paul Nicholls this morning as well and Sam was more than happy with the work," Findlay told At The Races. "We all spoke afterwards and we were happy to go with the green light. "I'm not sure there is any value in his price even now, but someone said on Thursday, it's alwaysgood when a champion gets the chance to retain his crown and that now looks like being the case."

Re: Denman My head is telling me to lump on Denman EW at around 7/1 with Non runner no bet available, but cant bring myself to do so having already backed Kauto and Neptune at nicer prices. Lets face it, IF Denman turns up, he is never going to be 6 or 7/1. To add to other points about Nicholls misleading people etc, I think he has lost a lot of respect from many this season. Last year he was seen as a punter friendly person, but this year everything that comes out of his mouth has to be taken with a pinch of salt IMO. He has talked up a lot of his horses that have ended up underperforming, and chopped and changed his mind about Denmans first run. Firstly saying he wont come on for it, then saying he will etc.

Re: Denman

He wouldnt be completely out of it if the race isnt on bottomless. Only takes a couple of the market leaders to run a bad race and he could very easily place.
I think Notre Pere has a very good each way chance even on good-soft ground. If able to run Neptunes Collonges as close as he did at 3m around leopardstown; A stiff course on good-soft, improving all the time, he might be able to get a lot closer. However, I suspect (and hope) he may wait for the Grand National if it is good at Prestbury Park. therefore am waiting to back Notre Pere. Will take better than 16/1 if a certain runner. Ginge

Re: Denman

I think Notre Pere has a very good each way chance even on good-soft ground. If able to run Neptunes Collonges as close as he did at 3m around leopardstown; A stiff course on good-soft, improving all the time, he might be able to get a lot closer. However, I suspect (and hope) he may wait for the Grand National if it is good at Prestbury Park. therefore am waiting to back Notre Pere. Will take better than 16/1 if a certain runner. Ginge
Thought myself the same. He could be on a nice mark for the National, because he really is unexposed over the marathon distances and could be a few lbs well in. Let's not forget the GN is won by a horse, who has class and is not just good handicapped and stays well. Class has always been needed in this race. Comply Or Die had run well in the RSA Chase for example.